[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

11 hours ago, joshallen2k said:

Hi, over the last few I've noticed that a Plex transcode activity its taking up all my CPU. There were no watching activities on the server at the time, at least on the file it was running the transcode on. Thinking it might have been an issue with the file, I deleted it from the file system. Then the transcode start on another recently added file. Any ideas on how to stop this? I've attached a screenshot from htop that shows the detail (sorry its a long skinny image, I couldn't figure out a more elegant way to capture it). Thanks!

This seemed to have fixed itself with an updated container today.

Anyone able to get plug-ins working with docker? I wanted to install a couple of new agents for audio books and also subzero subs plugin. Pulling the two plugin bundles using git clone <bundle> into the appdata\PMS\plug-ins and restarting the docker doesn't work and they don't show up in the UI. I know Plex is trying to get rid of them so does that mean there is no update then there? 

I also read online somewhere that I have to use Kitana. So I installed that docker, authorized it with my Plex account, then clicked my server only for it to say I had "No valid plugins" even tho both of the .bundle folders are in the plug-ins. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been having an issue the since a couple updates ago.
First I did not dig too deep and was just noticing in the Plex logs that the scanner kept crashing.

** PLEX MEDIA SCANNER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.25.6.5577-c8bd13540/PLEX MEDIA SCANNER/45c7ca2a-b863-460b-df55088e-f081c704.dmp

It would happen every few days. I assumed it would be fixed in the next update and wait it out. But it has done it twice in a hour now. So I dug a little deeper and saw this in my UnRaid logs

Mar 17 21:00:32 UNRaid kernel: oom-kill:constraint=CONSTRAINT_NONE,nodemask=(null),cpuset=1bb442ead7812e3fe2ee61298cab3c87a2b79cc4d7e53172ad1ee70316e11570,mems_allowed=0,global_oom,task_memcg=/docker/a71aed1dabcf0b2636dd240230642b61783f926a6bfab1d5e90878528e6222ab,task=PMS RunServer,pid=22731,uid=99 Mar 17 21:00:32 UNRaid kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 22731 (PMS RunServer) total-vm:12198664kB, anon-rss:7465440kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:7952kB, UID:99 pgtables:15184kB oom_score_adj:0 Mar 17 21:00:33 UNRaid kernel: oom_reaper: reaped process 22731 (PMS RunServer), now anon-rss:0kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:4kB

No idea what this means, a friend said a process is using too much memory and the kernal killed it. It could be related to the scanner getting stuck or going in a loop.  I grabbed my diagnostics as well so see attached. Can anyone confirm what this is and hwo I can fix this? I have never had an issue before so not sure why it is suddenly deciding to apparently use too much memory and get killed in this manner.

Thanks in advance.

unraid-diagnostics-20220317-2101.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone can shed some light on these log entries I am seeing from my docker logs. Currently I have debug and verbose logging turned off on my Plex Server, but last night I got 6M syslog events within 2 hours according my Splunk server. I have searched around forums looking for similar issues, but haven't had much luck.

2022-03-31 03:33:41,027 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stdout output:
No data written!

2022-03-31 03:33:41,028 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stdout output:
No data written!

2022-03-31 03:33:41,030 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stdout output:
No data written!

2022-03-31 03:33:41,031 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stdout output:
No data written!

2022-03-31 03:33:41,032 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stdout output:
No data written!

2022-03-31 03:33:41,034 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stdout output:
No data written!

2022-03-31 03:33:41,035 DEBG 'plexmediaserver' stdout output:
No data written!

Hello,

Had a weird one where I moved some folders around onto a new Cache drive, and Plex just kinda deleted its self.

So I re-downloaded the docker, set up the extra variables for my Nvidia card to handle transcoding, and then the docker wouldn't start, gave me an Execution Error: Server Error. Nothing will populate in the docker logs so can't check there.

I took out the Nvidia transcoding entries one at a time and when I take out the Extra Parameter: --runtime=nvidia the docker works fine, but no hard GPU transcoding. I don't really know where to go from here and didn't see anything related to my issue in this thread. Thoughts?

PS: Hope I did the diag file right, first time really having a major issue like this.

medic-server-diagnostics-20220331-2202.zip

Getting a new issue in that Plex is refusing to play any video with a TrueHD sound track. I've tried a few different clients, Windows, Shield & Phone, all the same. I just get the buffering animation endlessly. Logs show nothing. Anybody else getting this? Or anybody got any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this?

1 hour ago, NeoDude said:

Or anybody got any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this?

The usual cure for audio issues with Plex is to delete the Codecs folder in Plex appdata (under Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server) which forces Plex to download the codecs again as needed.  Sometime a particular audio codec becomes corrupted.

I've had Plex running without any problems for a while now on an Unraid Docker LinuxServer.
Today I decided I wanted to try the new streaming features, so I updated my docker to beta and did the same in Plex.
After I did that my videos stopped working after a while. So I wanted to revert back. I accidently installed Plex docker from URL and not the standard LinuxServer docker. Afterwards I installed the correct LinuxServer tagged version stable but I am experiencing my libraries comes and goes, sometimes I can connect and sometimes I can't. How can I get the good working installation back without having to start all over?

On 4/5/2022 at 4:06 PM, NeoDude said:

Getting a new issue in that Plex is refusing to play any video with a TrueHD sound track. I've tried a few different clients, Windows, Shield & Phone, all the same. I just get the buffering animation endlessly. Logs show nothing. Anybody else getting this? Or anybody got any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this?

I'm having exactly the same issue after the recent update. Other audio formats than TrueHD are working. Have you had luck in solving this?

Edited by unraid20
On 4/5/2022 at 5:54 PM, Hoopster said:

The usual cure for audio issues with Plex is to delete the Codecs folder in Plex appdata (under Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server) which forces Plex to download the codecs again as needed.  Sometime a particular audio codec becomes corrupted.

Thank you but unfortunately this hasn't solved the problem for me. Any other ideas?

On 4/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, NeoDude said:

On 4/5/2022 at 6:54 PM, Hoopster said:

On 4/10/2022 at 11:11 AM, unraid20 said:

I'm having exactly the same issue after the recent update. Other audio formats than TrueHD are working. Have you had luck in solving this?

+1 on this issue, I too am now having issues when attempting to play lossless TrueHD MKV movies.

I've tried force update, and re-downloading the Codex folder with no improvements.

The issue presents and the picture (HDR or DV) loading, and then halting when attempting to play TrueHD audio.  The movie plays when changing the audio track to the lossy DD+ track. 

Some movies will successfully start, but any kind of pause or rewind/progress function will trigger the buffer and will ultimately crash the Plex app.

There are no bandwidth issues, and the server has plenty of resource available - this is definitely a new bug

Edit: Did some more testing and found:

- TrueHD plays when being transcoded, and only fails when attempting direct play

- Lossless DTS doesnt seem to be affected

Edited by Wispa

I'm no expert, but perhaps a problem on the client side (as it only fails when attempting direct play)?

Perhaps an update to the player or a recent settings change is affecting things?

If you have other players that support TrueHD, you might wish to test with them as well.

Edited by ConnerVT
3 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

I'm no expert, but perhaps a problem on the client side (as it only fails when attempting direct play)?

Perhaps an update to the player or a recent settings change is affecting things?

If you have other players that support TrueHD, you might wish to test with them as well.

Good shout and could well be the client, but very difficult to test since lossless requires such a specific setup;  very few players that will support lossless output, even the PS5 and LG OLED GX plex apps wont support it and will only output lossy regardless of what bandwidth you give it - Only way we can test is if we have multiple clients on this forum.

So with that in mind, im running a Nvidia Shield Pro; i've uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled the Plex app (latest current version), and have found the client will play some movies reluctantly with TrueHD lossless direct play (no ability to pause/rewind/forward), and just flat out refuse and crash the app with other movies.

All movies are 4k, DV, HVEC, Remux, MKV - video stream seems fine.

If someone else that has this issue uses a different client please do post.

Thousands of lines of this error being logged on server:

Apr 11, 2022 14:37:27.898 [0x1519128aab38] ERROR - [Transcoder] Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing input
Apr 11, 2022 14:37:27.898 [0x151912aceb38] ERROR - [Transcoder] [aac_lc @ 0x14f36b3050c0] channel element 3.12 is not allocated

Edited by Wispa
4 hours ago, Wispa said:

All movies are 4k, DV, HVEC, Remux, MKV - video stream seems fine.

4 hours ago, Wispa said:
Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing input

True HD decoding stream ... plex should use dirext stream (instead direct play) instead, which needs some transcoding room for audio ... are you using RAM transcoding ? if so, may increase the size therefore ... when i tested playback of true hd audio streams with the plex app i had to increase to like 3+ GB ramdisk ...

even the error you paste looks personally almost like a video decode error, but as you say with DD it plays fine it can only be the audio track ...

i would consult plex forums with your logs, pretty sure you will have more luck there.

and may a question, why you use crappy tv apps then ? afaik your TV cant handle truehd properly anyway and ARC would result in a encoded audio stream anyway, so a DD audio is prolly better anyway, just as sidenote.

59 minutes ago, alturismo said:

True HD decoding stream ... plex should use dirext stream (instead direct play) instead, which needs some transcoding room for audio ... are you using RAM transcoding ? if so, may increase the size therefore ... when i tested playback of true hd audio streams with the plex app i had to increase to like 3+ GB ramdisk ...

even the error you paste looks personally almost like a video decode error, but as you say with DD it plays fine it can only be the audio track ...

i would consult plex forums with your logs, pretty sure you will have more luck there.

and may a question, why you use crappy tv apps then ? afaik your TV cant handle truehd properly anyway and ARC would result in a encoded audio stream anyway, so a DD audio is prolly better anyway, just as sidenote.

You've misread, I don't use the crappy TV apps....they're crappy and completely defeat the purpose of a lossless setup.

I am using RAM transcoding, but don't recall ever setting a limit on it - when playing a 4k  TrueHD film using direct PLAY it's using 38% RAM total, so don't see how it's capping out like you suggest?

Edited by Wispa
1 hour ago, alturismo said:

I think you're on the right track though because I tested 3 films just now and noted their TrueHD bandwidth requirements:

• IT Chapter 2 (2160p, UHD REMUX DV HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 3.4Mbps
  • Spider-Man No Way Home (2160p, UHD REMUX DV HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 4.1Mbps
  • Moana (2160p, UHD REMUX HDR HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 7.7Mbps

Results are as you suggested:

• IT2 plays fine, struggles when navigating
  • Spider-Man struggles, eventually plays, but buffers and you cannot navigate
  • Moana won't start.

If the docker container is limiting the transcode ability for direct play, (which doesn't make sense to me by the way, direct PLAY, not stream, mean no transcode?),  then surely Plex forums won't have a solution...

Since it's direct play, I'll look on Plex forums and see if it's an android Plex client issue

Edited by Wispa
1 hour ago, Wispa said:

I think you're on the right track though because I tested 3 films just now and noted their TrueHD bandwidth requirements:

• IT Chapter 2 (2160p, UHD REMUX DV HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 3.4Mbps
  • Spider-Man No Way Home (2160p, UHD REMUX DV HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 4.1Mbps
  • Moana (2160p, UHD REMUX HDR HVEC TRUEHD+ATMOS) - TrueHD audio track = 7.7Mbps

Results are as you suggested:

• IT2 plays fine, struggles when navigating
  • Spider-Man struggles, eventually plays, but buffers and you cannot navigate
  • Moana won't start.

If the docker container is limiting the transcode ability for direct play, (which doesn't make sense to me by the way, direct PLAY, not stream, mean no transcode?),  then surely Plex forums won't have a solution...

Since it's direct play, I'll look on Plex forums and see if it's an android Plex client issue

I just came across advice on the Plex forums which suggests installing the latest Plex beta (arm64v8a). And I can gladly say the issue has been resolved for me :)

Here's a link https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announcements-android-tv-beta/154124/517

Edited by unraid20
5 minutes ago, unraid20 said:

I just came across advice on the Plex forums which suggests installing the latest Plex beta (arm64v8a). And I can gladly say the issue has been resolved for me :)

Here's a link https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announcements-android-tv-beta/154124/517

I just found this also, here is the URL to join the BETA programme as the beta version fixes this issue.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.plexapp.android

Edited by Wispa
  • Like 1

I am running this docker container and it has been working well for many years.

I just realized one thing that I never tried before. It seems that I cannot access my library over app.plex.tv.

I am getting the message: app.plex.tv is unable to connect to "xxx" securely when trying to access the library.

I am only using in home network. I don't plan to access remotely and have disabled this feature.

IOS and ATV devices work. Also, accessing the web app locally (my-IP:32400) work>

I am getting the error message only when trying to access via app.plex.tv.

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, steve1977 said:

Thanks. I tried this. I am then getting an error message that I am not connected directly to the server and it is very slow.

Searching google shows other posts about this. Most suggest not using VPN’s or proxies. Be sure no ports are being blocked. If none of these apply you might try posting in the Plex forums.