[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Hi.

I'm installing Plex Media Server as a Docker Container (I have tried several), but PMS does not publish ports unless network type is HOST?

I have tried custom networks and the default BRIDGE network, but the same result.

Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Thanks.

I believe it is not recommended to update from within a docker.  Limixserver.io updates their dockers pretty regularly, so I would think their latest docker would likely include the latest release of Plex.

As for Plex itself, I'm not a big fan of quickly updating to their latest and greatest release.  They have a bad habit of fixing/adding one thing, and breaking another feature.  Just need spend some time in their forums (or Reddit /PLEX) to read the stories.  I run a pretty old revision myself, as they broke my OTA TV streaming back during football season.

6 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

I believe it is not recommended to update from within a docker.  Limixserver.io updates their dockers pretty regularly, so I would think their latest docker would likely include the latest release of Plex.

As for Plex itself, I'm not a big fan of quickly updating to their latest and greatest release.  They have a bad habit of fixing/adding one thing, and breaking another feature.  Just need spend some time in their forums (or Reddit /PLEX) to read the stories.  I run a pretty old revision myself, as they broke my OTA TV streaming back during football season.

It’s not an update of the app. It’s an update of the metadata for the videos. IIRC it’s basically rescanning all the videos with a new agent. May have updated the db as well.

Oh.  My bad.  I haven't been nagged to update the libraries for the new Plex agent since I downgraded for the OTA TV issue.  But then, I haven't read a single good thing about Plex's new metadata agent, only people who had lost many custom updates, poor metadata matching to video files, and other complaints.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Plex server.  Just sometimes I smh at Plex itself.  😒

• 2 weeks later...

I migrated my windows 10 based Plex server over to Unraid about a month ago. The windows rig was using a 12 year old i5 3rd gen Ivy Bridge CPU with Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics, with 16 gigs of ram. My new Unraid server is using a intel 12th gen (yes, I didn't know at the time that the integrated graphics weren't supported yet), i7 with 64 gb of ram. It took me a little bit to get everything configured and working well....but everything seems great. The only problem is I've had a couple of my users indicate that they either can't play a movie or it buffers really bad. I NEVER had that issue previously. I know I can't use QS yet, but I can't imagine why it would be buffering (oh, and I'm on a 1 Gig up/down fiber connection). Any suggestions of what I can try to attempt to troubleshoot and rectify?

**edit**

I may have found something related. I went into the plex console and am seeing the attached error.

I also found this post where it states that it could be related to my transcode folder (which I didn't specify in the plex container settings as I thought I read it was no longer needed). It also mentions deleting the codecs folder in the Plex appdata folder. Does any of that make sense? Here is the discussion I found:

plex error.JPG

Hey y'all,

Yesterday I updated my Plex container (the last update I made was 2-3 months before), and now I can't use hw decoding with HDR tone mapping enabled.

Are there any changes on Plex side, that could break that feature? It was working fine before.

I'm running an Intel j5040 board and (now unfortunately) the latest version of Plex. Hw decoding is working fine when I disable HDR tone mapping, but that's not really a solution.

Did anyone of you experience something similar? Andy Ideas how to fix it? Or should I just downgrade and not Update for a while?

EDIT: Downgrading Plex to 1.25.9 did resolve the issue for me. I guess I won't update Plex for a while. I hope this helps anyone else searching for answers.

Thanks for your help

Edited by ONE-JURU
Edit because of downgrade fix
  • Upvote 1

Need some help.

Recently i notice that my CPU had been spiking from time to time and i notice that my Server are drawing over 50W of power during idle.

Ive check what application is using my processor on Glances and notice that Plex Transcoder are there but i notice that plex are not streaming anything i've even open plex server and notice there is no task running on plex dashboard.

What's might be wrong with Plex here anyone could help please.

image.thumb.png.d4c72ee716c1acc4f45907986fb501eb.pngimage.thumb.png.3bcb42239b7169984aa6d80ef4489228.png

On 5/13/2022 at 1:48 AM, ONE-JURU said:

Hey y'all,

Yesterday I updated my Plex container (the last update I made was 2-3 months before), and now I can't use hw decoding with HDR tone mapping enabled.

Are there any changes on Plex side, that could break that feature? It was working fine before.

I'm running an Intel j5040 board and (now unfortunately) the latest version of Plex. Hw decoding is working fine when I disable HDR tone mapping, but that's not really a solution.

Did anyone of you experience something similar? Andy Ideas how to fix it? Or should I just downgrade and not Update for a while?

EDIT: Downgrading Plex to 1.25.9 did resolve the issue for me. I guess I won't update Plex for a while. I hope this helps anyone else searching for answers.

Thanks for your help

I'm having the same problem as well. Would you be able to tell me how you downgraded the plex version?

Same problem as you guys HW transcoding with HDR tone mapping seems to be broken in latest version of linuxserver image.  Downgrade to Plex to 1.25.9 did not help but downgrade container image did.  If you want to test change repository to linuxserver/plex:1.25.9.5721-965587f64-ls109

Confirming that plex:1.25.9.5721-965587f64-ls109 helped in my situation as well.  Was having a large amount of stuttering with HW transcoding with Nvidia drivers until downgrading to this version (this is what caused me to switch from Binhex's version as well).  Though I'll admit I didn't test all the versions in between.

1 hour ago, tucansam said:

Thrown into an i7-2600 unraid/plex server

if you talk about using the igpu from the i7 instead, its a pretty old cpu when i see correctly, sandy bridge, it can decode/encode AVC (x264) only, so when your source media is AVC only, yes, should be ok, hevc will not work in hardware on this igpu.

same for your GTX750ti ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

1 hour ago, tucansam said:

Not sure what all of that means.

me neither ;)

14 hours ago, tucansam said:

I have a GTX750ti that is about to be replaced.

GPU replaced with .. ?

14 hours ago, tucansam said:

Thrown into an i7-2600 unraid/plex server,

this is now a CPU with integrated iGPU

in terms you mean this (take the GPU out, use the iGPU from this CPU instead), see my above post.

only you know in which format your media's are at home, if they are AVC (x264, h264, ..) then yes, both of your pointed devices (GTX750ti and you iGPU from sandy bridge) would be capable todo this ... while the Nvidia Card (NVENC) is limited to 3 simultan streams (been 2 before, but meanwhile its 3)

Nvidia Matrix ...

here the encodings for your card

image.thumb.png.095919853780644335badb7121b86984.png

while HEVC (modern Format) is not even decode supported (hardware accel reading ...) so lets say all 4k's will be a pain ...

image.thumb.png.3948dd478c1d95f33c8b71045e8b263e.png

Latest Linuxserver Plex container release introduces permission errors in unRAID (maybe related to 6.10?).

Upgraded to 6.10.1 a few days ago with no major issues, Plex was working fine last night, and this morning Plex from Linuxserver stopped working with permission errors:

****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.26.2.5797-5bd057d2b/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/48e796f0-ca99-405e-6d6b99b6-b191e5f8.dmp
Starting Plex Media Server.
libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::runtime_error: Codecs: Initialize: 'boost::filesystem::create_directory: Permission denied: "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/994f4ee-4302-linux-x86_64"'

I have containers on auto-update, and the Plex container updated during the night, so I rolled back to version 1.26.1 (edited repository to linuxserver/plex:1.26.1) and no more errors.

Question is if this is an issue on Linuxserver's Plex latest release, or if 6.10 introduced something which breaks new releases?

EDIT: Reddit made me aware that the error was local, ran the following as a user script and it solved the permission issue, will check back if it reappears:

#!/bin/sh

for dir in "/mnt/user/appdata/plex/"

do

`echo $dir` `chmod -R ug+rw,ug+X,o-rwx $dir`

chown -R nobody:users $dir

done

Edited by goodyear

Has anyone else been having problems with Plex over the last couple of weeks where it crashes overnight, and the docker can't be stopped or killed?  I'm having to reboot every couple of days because of this. 

Or, are there other commands I can use instead of docker stop plex and docker kill plex?

I updated this docker today, and now I can no longer access media.

Note: This issue probably has nothing to do with this docker, but I'd just appreciate a heads up as to where to start looking!

Plex starts as normal, and is accessible via the web ui on both local and remote devices. However, my media (one called tv, the other called movies) doesn't show anything. Instead I see

"Something went wrong

An unexpected error occurred."

on both. This is when clicking "library" or "recommended" on each source.

This was working fine until I checked it today, and I haven't updated anything else other than the community applications and unassigned devices plugins on unraid aside from that. I tried rebooting the server and restarting plex too.

Any advice appreciated! I'm sure this is something simple. Thank you!