[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Hello,

Recently updated the container and hardware transcoding no longer works.  Nothing shows on the dashboard or when using smi in the console.  No settings were changed in the docker itself, still has runtime enabled as well as the gpuid.  In plex itself the hardware acceleration box has been checked.

Any idea what might be causing this?  Kind of kicking myself as I didn't even mean to update the plex docker.

15 minutes ago, NserUame said:

Hello,

Recently updated the container and hardware transcoding no longer works.  Nothing shows on the dashboard or when using smi in the console.  No settings were changed in the docker itself, still has runtime enabled as well as the gpuid.  In plex itself the hardware acceleration box has been checked.

Any idea what might be causing this?  Kind of kicking myself as I didn't even mean to update the plex docker.

Which version of unRAID? I haven't been able to get it to work on anything after 6.9.2

On 5/29/2022 at 7:05 AM, ctexy said:

I updated this docker today, and now I can no longer access media.

Note: This issue probably has nothing to do with this docker, but I'd just appreciate a heads up as to where to start looking!

Plex starts as normal, and is accessible via the web ui on both local and remote devices. However, my media (one called tv, the other called movies) doesn't show anything. Instead I see

"Something went wrong

An unexpected error occurred."

on both. This is when clicking "library" or "recommended" on each source.

This was working fine until I checked it today, and I haven't updated anything else other than the community applications and unassigned devices plugins on unraid aside from that. I tried rebooting the server and restarting plex too.

Any advice appreciated! I'm sure this is something simple. Thank you!

just updated the docker this morning and ran into the same issue.. "Something went wrong"

I have been running 6.10.1 since it came out without issues so something must have gone wrong with the docker update.

26 minutes ago, knalbone said:

Is it possible to stop the plex media server service within this container while it is running? My db is corrupt and I'd like to repair it using the built in SQLite binary, but need the service to be stopped first.

The two posts above yours describe how to stop the container, and scan/repair the database.

• 2 weeks later...

Gang,

I am going to be upgrading from an i7-2600 to an i7-9700F.  

I'm upgrading a couple of other systems too, and will have a GTX 1050ti laying around unused.

From the standpoint of Plex transcoding, 1080p and possibly 4k, will the 1050ti have an appreciable impact in helping, or is the 9700F sufficient enough on its own? 

I have several family members who stream 1080p content and often share my 10mbps upstream connection, so I have streams limited to 3-4mbps.  As such, as soon as I get three or more transcoding, my i7-2600 pegs.  I know the 9700F is a huge upgrade, I'm just wondering if the 1050ti is worth hanging onto and putting in my unraid server for Plex.

If so, I'm not sure how to enable its use in the docker container.

Thanks.

Edited by tucansam
2 hours ago, tucansam said:

From the standpoint of Plex transcoding, 1080p and possibly 4k, will the 1050ti have an appreciable impact in helping, or is the 9700F sufficient enough on its own? 

you know the "F" versions dont have a igpu included ? so you loose the igpu hardware transcoding then ...

a 9700 would be better therefore then a 1050ti (which is limited to 3 transcodes max afaik)

6 hours ago, alturismo said:

you know the "F" versions dont have a igpu included ? so you loose the igpu hardware transcoding then ...

a 9700 would be better therefore then a 1050ti (which is limited to 3 transcodes max afaik)

Thank you.  Yes, I have an old pcie-1x NVS200 to use as a video card in that server, unless the 1050ti would be the better option.  Was just trying to figure out if the 9700 would be better served by giving it a higher-end video card.

Let's not overthink this one.  A i7-9700F + GTX1050ti > i7-2600 + iGPU.  By a significant amount.  Especially if you have the hardware in hand.

For all hardware transcoding, Plex Pass is required.  Install the NVidia plugin.  Follow the excellent directions in the plugin's support thread.  Enjoy videos.

As for 4K to 1080 transcoding, it is always a bad idea, no matter what hardware you are using.  I've yet to come across anyone who does so without issues.

Hi All, 

So, I've just noticed sort of a weird problem, and, since I'm not sure how to search for the answer, I figured I'd raise it here. Went to access Plex today, and my libraries weren't available under my main, admin account, but I was still connected to the server. Updated the docker and Unraid to the latest versions, no luck.

For science, I made a new managed account while logged in as the admin. I then accessed Plex via the new managed account. The managed account has full access to all my libraries. I'm assuming this is some sort of permissions problem with the docker update last night (6/14/2022), but I'm really at a loss. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone got any idea of how I can get my regular account to work properly again? I can get logs if you need them, but I wasn't sure which ones might be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help! 

I hope that someone can help I just rollback my unraid server to 6.9 to get someone else to work, but in doing so, my plex server is now showing my the following error when I try to start it

image.png.ce0559bbe1f3da491a67cced84a5f96c.png

my question is: if I create a new Plex container and copied in my old Plex container files and folders then would this resolve the issue ? or is there a easier way to resolve this ?

I also attached my log file from the container

PlexLog.txt

Hey Chris, 

That should work, yeah. What I would recommend, however (and what worked for me), was to move from the Linux Server repository to the Binhex-Plex repository. I just used the same mappings and settings on both dockers, deleted the Linux docker, and was back up and running within a half an hour. I hope this helps. 

This has probably been asked before, but upon searching it seems that the situation keeps changing.

Using my Ryzen 2400G, I'm trying to get hw transcoding working with the container, and in theory it should really work.

ich777's Jellyfin container utilises the iGPU, and mauimauer has a working container on dockerhub.

Is there any way for this function to be merged into lsio?

On 5/25/2022 at 2:23 AM, goodyear said:

Latest Linuxserver Plex container release introduces permission errors in unRAID (maybe related to 6.10?).

Upgraded to 6.10.1 a few days ago with no major issues, Plex was working fine last night, and this morning Plex from Linuxserver stopped working with permission errors:

****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.26.2.5797-5bd057d2b/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/48e796f0-ca99-405e-6d6b99b6-b191e5f8.dmp
Starting Plex Media Server.
libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::runtime_error: Codecs: Initialize: 'boost::filesystem::create_directory: Permission denied: "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/994f4ee-4302-linux-x86_64"'

I have containers on auto-update, and the Plex container updated during the night, so I rolled back to version 1.26.1 (edited repository to linuxserver/plex:1.26.1) and no more errors.

Question is if this is an issue on Linuxserver's Plex latest release, or if 6.10 introduced something which breaks new releases?

EDIT: Reddit made me aware that the error was local, ran the following as a user script and it solved the permission issue, will check back if it reappears:

#!/bin/sh

for dir in "/mnt/user/appdata/plex/"

do

`echo $dir` `chmod -R ug+rw,ug+X,o-rwx $dir`

chown -R nobody:users $dir

done

This fixed this for me.

After Unraid updated to 6.10.3. plex blew up (linuxserver build), same permissions error.

plex log

***** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.27.1.5916-6b0e31a64/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/d8e7a7b9-9c5f-44c4-0b0ab38c-bc4b6eac.dmp
Warning:/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.27.1.5916-6b0e31a64 is not found or not a directory.
libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::runtime_error: Codecs: Initialize: 'boost::filesystem::create_directory: Permission denied: "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/d53cb63-4323-linux-x86_64"'
****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.27.1.5916-6b0e31a64/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/294892d2-f0ad-4821-cfce8ba1-9b610837.dmp
Warning:/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.27.1.5916-6b0e31a64 is not found or not a directory.
libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::runtime_error: Codecs: Initialize: 'boost::filesystem::create_directory: Permission denied: "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/d53cb63-4323-linux-x86_64"'
****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.27.1.5916-6b0e31a64/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/12cbb93b-0e16-4a1b-7e945588-80593f08.dmp
****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.27.1.5916-6b0e31a64/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/f4f53198-318d-4f74-ab9f29a2-83e66ae8.dmp
****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.27.1.5916-6b0e31a64/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/cb745128-fe3f-4c35-28a8abaf-68b40732.dmp
****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.27.1.5916-6b0e31a64/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/a9def54c-8084-41be-25acc19b-e2ff0d55.dmp

Edited by Retched1

For some reason my Plex docker will not start now, this is the output whenI try to start it.

Not sure why it is saying unknown paramater 'Nvidia' I've had a p2000 card in my server working with Plex just fine for ages.

I managed to get Plex running by removing the Nvidia parameters and am currently using Quicksync, just not sure what happened to the Nvidia plugin or driver?

Any help would be appreciated.

Managed to get the Nvidia driver reinstalled and everything is back to norma, was just spooked as this has never happened to me in using unRAID for 6 years and at least four with this P2000.

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 1.51.48 PM.png

Edited by ashman70

Hi All,

Is it me or has something started cause the plex db to corrupt on a regular basis ??

I have to either repair or use a backup almost weekly now.

I have all of my meta and app data on a separate SSD (Using unassigned devices) & reference it using "appdata: /mnt/disks/plexssd/" in the docker settings and im on version 6.10.3 of unraid.

I do use Plex meta manager, but i dont think its that.

I turned off nightly docker updates to weekly in case that was the issue, but the DB still corrupts on a weekly basis, sometimes within hours of my repairing it!

Is it just me or have others started noticing this behavior ?? 

Edited by BigDanT
On 6/29/2022 at 10:13 AM, ashman70 said:

For some reason my Plex docker will not start now, this is the output whenI try to start it.

Not sure why it is saying unknown paramater 'Nvidia' I've had a p2000 card in my server working with Plex just fine for ages.

I managed to get Plex running by removing the Nvidia parameters and am currently using Quicksync, just not sure what happened to the Nvidia plugin or driver?

Any help would be appreciated.

Managed to get the Nvidia driver reinstalled and everything is back to norma, was just spooked as this has never happened to me in using unRAID for 6 years and at least four with this P2000.

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 1.51.48 PM.png

I had the same thing happen when I went from 6.10.1 to 6.10.3 - The nvidia plugin had to be deleted and re-installed. once that was done, I would get this error. An extra reboot (likely so the NVidia driver can load properly) fixed it and I was able to re-add the Plex docker container from the old template.

Friday I fixed my DB.

Tonight it corrupted again 6 days later !!

Any help would be greatly received ?

I used to run my Plex server on an intel nuc windows machine for like 3 years solid and never had these types of issues.

would love to know if it’s my unraid set or a bug in unraid or the docker or something I’m doing with either backups or PMM ?

Help !

Thanks

Edited by Big Dan T

I am in the process of creating a backup-scheme for all my servers and data, but when it comes to plex I am not sure what would be the best way. I was thinking of maybe using rsync and just copy everything to my backup server. But I se that my metadata-folder is 22Gb and hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of tiny files. I guess this is just things like thumbnails etc? Is this something that I need to backup? If I need to do a disaster recovery I would like to get my plex up and running with all the userdata and watchprogress etc, but I don't have any problems re-downloading things like thumbnails and other non-essential data. I have a 1gbit internet connection and a beefy server. My total appdata/plex folder is 33GB. 22GB of this is the /appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata folder. Can I just exclude this folder from the backup without breaking it?