[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

50 minutes ago, crankyCowboy said:

whew, that actually makes me feel better. i had used that method a couple months ago and didn't get that error, so i was pretty sure I wasn't doing something wrong. thank you!

Ok this was a learning curve for me, but I think I found it (for me it worked to down the plex service and up it again).

cd /var/run/s6-rc/servicedirs/
s6-svc -d svc-plex

Hope it helps.

25 minutes ago, ingeborgdot said:

So, support here is better than at the Plex forum?? Does the linuxserver work as well with plexpass? Sorry for the questions, I'm just a week into unRAID, and want to make sure I do it all right. It's no fun having to start over. Best to do it right the first time.

Thanks.

Everything is better than the support at the Plex forums to be honest... Almost everyone on Unraid is using the linuxservers dockers, so you have more people with similar setups and possible issues. And the linuxserver team is always on top of things, which makes it easier to differentiate between docker issues and Plex issues.

Linuxserver also works with the Plexpass. Just have to use the right variables when settings up the docker. Read the linuxserver instruction for Plex before installing, and you should be good.

3 minutes ago, ingeborgdot said:

And the linuxserver is the one I'm choosing.

Since I'm running my sonarr and radarr on a custom network, do I need to run Plex on the same custom network? I haven't seen anything on this yet. It may be out there, but I haven't found it. Thanks.

No you don't, just make sure your firewall is set up to allow communication if needed (for example, to ping Plex from Sonarr/Radarr when you have new grabs).

I just watched an IBRCORP video, and he had the custom network used, so I guess I will to. We'll see what happens.

The problem with the TRaSH video is that the one the he uses is different. Is there a place I can find the proper way to set up the linux version of Plex. There is no place for 32400 port and other things are much different than the Plex install he used.

Thanks.

Edited by ingeborgdot
57 minutes ago, Kaizac said:

Ok this was a learning curve for me, but I think I found it (for me it worked to down the plex service and up it again).

cd /var/run/s6-rc/servicedirs/
s6-svc -d svc-plex

@Kaizac Thanks!  That worked, but now I have a separate problem.  I guess sqlite isn't in my db directory. I'm trying to run this command:

echo ".dump metadata_item_settings" | sqlite3 com.plexapp.plugins.library.db | grep -v TABLE | grep -v INDEX > settings.sql

but I'm getting this error:

bash: sqlite3: command not found

Do I need to go to the location of where sqlite3 is? If so, any idea where that is within the plex folders?

1 hour ago, Kaizac said:

No you don't, just make sure your firewall is set up to allow communication if needed (for example, to ping Plex from Sonarr/Radarr when you have new grabs).

I tried using my custom network, but I get a message on my new tab that says about:blank#blocked. When I change network type to host, it seems to work. I don't know if bridge is an option??? I'm kind of lost here. I have not found anything that helps me with the initial set up of the linuxserver. I'm sure there is something someplace, I just haven't found it yet.

1 hour ago, ingeborgdot said:

I tried using my custom network, but I get a message on my new tab that says about:blank#blocked. When I change network type to host, it seems to work. I don't know if bridge is an option??? I'm kind of lost here. I have not found anything that helps me with the initial set up of the linuxserver. I'm sure there is something someplace, I just haven't found it yet.

I don't know how you set up your Unraid box, and whether you put in the custom network (VLAN) properly. Bridge is always an option, as long as the ports used a free on your Unraid box. I'm not a fan of using bridge, but it should at least work when using free ports.

You can also use custom:br0 so it will get an IP of your LAN.

2 hours ago, crankyCowboy said:

@Kaizac Thanks!  That worked, but now I have a separate problem.  I guess sqlite isn't in my db directory. I'm trying to run this command:

echo ".dump metadata_item_settings" | sqlite3 com.plexapp.plugins.library.db | grep -v TABLE | grep -v INDEX > settings.sql

but I'm getting this error:

bash: sqlite3: command not found

Do I need to go to the location of where sqlite3 is? If so, any idea where that is within the plex folders?

I'm not familiar with the command you are using. Maybe this can be some reference for you?

Plex has the following article:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/repair-a-corrupted-database/

Commands there transfer to this for the linuxserver docker:

First cd to:

cd "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/"

"/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" --sqlite com.plexapp.plugins.library.db "PRAGMA integrity_check"

"/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" --sqlite com.plexapp.plugins.library.db "VACUUM"

"/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" --sqlite com.plexapp.plugins.library.db "REINDEX"

"/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" --sqlite com.plexapp.plugins.library.db ".output db-recover.sqlite" ".recover"

"/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" --sqlite com.plexapp.plugins.library.db ".read db-recover.sqlite"

chown abc:users com.plexapp.plugins.library.db

4 hours ago, ingeborgdot said:

There is no place for 32400 port and other things are much different than the Plex install he used.

I don't know what version of Plex was used in the video you referenced.  Port 32400 is the default so no need to change it unless you want another port.  Click the Show more setting... link at the bottom of the Linuxserver Plex docker Edit page if you want to see the port assignments.

Personally, I have most of my docker containers assigned to a custom network VLAN (br0.3) so each can have its own IP address.  Plex is on a different subnet than unRAID itself.  It works great as my router passes traffic between all LANs/VLANs by default.  Your router may require specific rules to allow this.

Edited by Hoopster
2 hours ago, Kaizac said:

I don't know how you set up your Unraid box, and whether you put in the custom network (VLAN) properly. Bridge is always an option, as long as the ports used a free on your Unraid box. I'm not a fan of using bridge, but it should at least work when using free ports.

You can also use custom:br0 so it will get an IP of your LAN.

I'm not familiar with the command you are using. Maybe this can be some reference for you?

Plex has the following article:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/repair-a-corrupted-database/

Commands there transfer to this for the linuxserver docker:

First cd to:

cd "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/"

"/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" --sqlite com.plexapp.plugins.library.db "PRAGMA integrity_check"

"/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" --sqlite com.plexapp.plugins.library.db "VACUUM"

"/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" --sqlite com.plexapp.plugins.library.db "REINDEX"

"/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" --sqlite com.plexapp.plugins.library.db ".output db-recover.sqlite" ".recover"

"/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server" --sqlite com.plexapp.plugins.library.db ".read db-recover.sqlite"

chown abc:users com.plexapp.plugins.library.db

Oh sorry, I should have been more clear. My database is corrupt and going that route doesn't work. I was just going to let Plex rebuild by database and re-add my libraries. All my metadata will still be there so it shouldn't take long. I was just trying to extract the watch history from the database using this article:  https://support.plex.tv/articles/201154527-move-viewstate-ratings-from-one-install-to-another/

but as I said, the command above is giving me an error stating that sqlite isn't available.

22 hours ago, ingeborgdot said:

@ingeborgdot I'd leave it at host. I had all my containers tied to custom networks, but plex struggled for whatever reason.  Attached are my initial settings. I have a couple more settings under advanced, but let's get you going first......

Edited by crankyCowboy
On 11/27/2022 at 11:00 PM, crankyCowboy said:

Oh sorry, I should have been more clear. My database is corrupt and going that route doesn't work. I was just going to let Plex rebuild by database and re-add my libraries. All my metadata will still be there so it shouldn't take long. I was just trying to extract the watch history from the database using this article:  https://support.plex.tv/articles/201154527-move-viewstate-ratings-from-one-install-to-another/

but as I said, the command above is giving me an error stating that sqlite isn't available.

Did you get further with this? Sqlite should be in the docker, but you can't just use the Plex commands, you'll have to convert them to suit Linux/Linuxserver docker. That's why I gave you the references to how they translate from the Plex wiki to the actual functioning commands.

Otherwise, maybe someone on reddit will be able to "translate" them for you. But why don't you just restore a backup? I did all this script shit before and nothing worked. Then just plunked back a backup and ran the update of libraries, and it was good again. You'll miss a bit of your watched data depending on how recent your backup is, but there is no guarantee you will be able to extract non-corrupted metadata either.

All web clients are failing to stream content from my plex server. When I try to play content on a web browser (Edge), plex shows a spinning wheel like its buffering, but nothing ever streams. This is true for all files in my library. This started in the last couple of days, but I haven't made any explicit changes in that time, so not sure what is causing the issue. Things I've done to try to resolve the issue

- Restart Plex container
- Checked database integrity (came back `ok`)
   - used the following command to check

./"Plex SQLite" "/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/com.plexapp.plugins.library.db" "PRAGMA integrity_check"

- Ran the following cleanup: Clean Bundles, Empty Trash, Optimize Database.

I've poked around the logs (attached), but am a loss at what specific steps to follow to pin-point and resolve the issue.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Web Player Version 4.95.2

Server Version 1.27.2.5929 

Thanks!

Plex_unraid_stream_issue.log

2 hours ago, asdfqwerty911 said:

All web clients are failing to stream content from my plex server. When I try to play content on a web browser (Edge), plex shows a spinning wheel like its buffering, but nothing ever streams. This is true for all files in my library. This started in the last couple of days, but I haven't made any explicit changes in that time, so not sure what is causing the issue. Things I've done to try to resolve the issue

- Restart Plex container
- Checked database integrity (came back `ok`)
   - used the following command to check

./"Plex SQLite" "/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/com.plexapp.plugins.library.db" "PRAGMA integrity_check"

- Ran the following cleanup: Clean Bundles, Empty Trash, Optimize Database.

I've poked around the logs (attached), but am a loss at what specific steps to follow to pin-point and resolve the issue.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Web Player Version 4.95.2

Server Version 1.27.2.5929 

Thanks!

Plex_unraid_stream_issue.log 87.47 kB · 0 downloads

Weird thing is, Plex thinks it is playing successfully, but that isn't the case (and you can see there is no remote traffic)   image.thumb.png.3c5977765c09beb22f21747b89027355.png

On 10/24/2022 at 9:57 PM, Thamer Alfuraiji said:

Problem Solved !!!
Shutting down the container > Clearing the Codecs directory > Run the Container
Thanks to u/clintkev251 from r/unraid reddit for the solution

Note : Plex Windows Client still showing the error the rest of MAC HTPC iOS & Web Browser are working perfectly. will try to find a solution for the windows client.

The problem comeback with the last update.

Clearing the Codecs directory, but the problem was not solve.

Any idea ?

25 minutes ago, Rebel said:

has the template changed?

Probably. You should see this at the top of your template-

Nvidia GPU Use
Using the Unraid Nvidia Plugin to install a version of Unraid with the Nvidia Drivers installed and
add --runtime=nvidia to "extra parameters" (switch on advanced view) and
copy your GPU UUID to NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES.

Intel GPU Use
Edit your go file to include:
modprobe i915
, save and reboot, then 
add --device=/dev/dri to "extra parameters" (switch on advanced view)

Note the "switch to advanced view". Once you do you'll see it near the bottom.

43 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Hi all, I am trying to enable nvidia transcoding (following spaceinvader one guide) after installing a card in my NAS but can't find the nvidia visible device field, has the template changed?

15 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Probably. You should see this at the top of your template-

Note the "switch to advanced view". Once you do you'll see it near the bottom.

I was fiddling with my plex container the other day and noticed that the template did in fact change.  The part of the template with the directions about switching to advanced view to add the extra parameter, etc is no longer present anymore.  The NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES environment variable field now needs to be added manually.

16 hours ago, FDM80 said:

I was fiddling with my plex container the other day and noticed that the template did in fact change.  The part of the template with the directions about switching to advanced view to add the extra parameter, etc is no longer present anymore.  The NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES environment variable field now needs to be added manually.

I will try to add it as a manual variable, I  just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing my marbles.