[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Hey All, 

So just swapped a 1660 super into my server for plex transcoding.  AMD system so no quicksync.  When attempting to transcode a video via plex web the video will not start and I am seeing VAAPI errors in the logs.  When I open the same video on my andriod and transcode it works just fine.  The research I have done seems to indicate that VAAPI is related to quicksync and not nvdidia gpu.   

Any suggestions?  I cleared codec folder. Have NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES,  NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES, and --runtime=nvidia on the container with the appropriate values, plexpass version.  Didn't have any issues transcoding on the 960 I had in the system prior.  Seems to be new with the 1660. .

Dec 15, 2022 05:51:33.794 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:34.314 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:34.828 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:35.366 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:35.823 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:36.262 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:36.495 [0x15083b24cb38] WARN - [Req#dcf/Transcode/xvyh2y66y68l0zw3zs4bgpjv] Transcode runner appears to have died.
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:36.499 [0x15083d689b38] WARN - [Req#dcc/Transcode/xvyh2y66y68l0zw3zs4bgpjv] Transcode runner appears to have died.

Morning Everyone,

Been running this container for a couple of years now. Over the last couple of updates to Unraid, it seems the container is no longer utilizing the P2000 in my server. Nothing erroneous in the logs on either the server or the container. Looking at nvidia-smi from within the container shows that the GPU is detected, however, Plex is utilizing the low powered atom CPU to transcode, generate thumbnails, etc. I've confirmed that hardware transcoding is enabled, and the container is setup per the readme. Any ideas on where to look would be appreciated!

image.png.e71eb3bcc90842c669303855dcb142ed.pngimage.png.08b0b544e130f86a562e9e4e43b1f17a.pngimage.png.2ecfb16ab8801226fd20cc1209f3bf3f.png

On 12/15/2022 at 6:08 AM, gzibell said:

Hey All, 

So just swapped a 1660 super into my server for plex transcoding.  AMD system so no quicksync.  When attempting to transcode a video via plex web the video will not start and I am seeing VAAPI errors in the logs.  When I open the same video on my andriod and transcode it works just fine.  The research I have done seems to indicate that VAAPI is related to quicksync and not nvdidia gpu.   

Any suggestions?  I cleared codec folder. Have NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES,  NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES, and --runtime=nvidia on the container with the appropriate values, plexpass version.  Didn't have any issues transcoding on the 960 I had in the system prior.  Seems to be new with the 1660. .

Dec 15, 2022 05:51:33.794 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:34.314 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:34.828 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:35.366 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:35.823 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:36.262 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:36.495 [0x15083b24cb38] WARN - [Req#dcf/Transcode/xvyh2y66y68l0zw3zs4bgpjv] Transcode runner appears to have died.
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:36.499 [0x15083d689b38] WARN - [Req#dcc/Transcode/xvyh2y66y68l0zw3zs4bgpjv] Transcode runner appears to have died.

Still trying to figure this out no more VAAPI errors but still not working.  This morning I moved the 1660 to my backup server and setup plex with the same video file, and put my 960 back in my main server.  Both play the video fine, setup to 720p 2MB to test transcoding they both keep chugging along transcoding normally. Weird, ok lets delete my plex docker and start fresh not from my existing template to ensure everything is the same.  

Now swap the 1660 back to my main server and start playing the file all is fine.  Set to 720p 2MB and nothing just a black screen and get a "Transcode runner appears to have died." in the logs.  All testing in plex web app. 

Why would this work with a different card(960 vs 1660) on the same server, but the same card (1660) performs this normally when installed in another server. AND if I open the same video file on my android phone and set to 720 2MB it plays fine. 

Last night I upgraded my linuxserver.io plex docker on unraid, to the latest version of 4.87.2. Ever since, half my media won't play with error. "Playback Error: Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install."

This has been the case on my PC, Roku, and Apple TV. Has anyone had this same problem and can suggest a fix?

I updated plex today to version 

10 hours ago, twistedjackal509 said:

Last night I upgraded my linuxserver.io plex docker on unraid, to the latest version of 4.87.2. Ever since, half my media won't play with error. "Playback Error: Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install."

This has been the case on my PC, Roku, and Apple TV. Has anyone had this same problem and can suggest a fix?

I updated plex today to version 

Stop the service.
Erase all data in the codecs folder.

Restart the service.

3 minutes ago, adgilcan said:

My PlexMediaServer seems to have developed a fault.

I haven't used it for about 5 months and I am getting the attached message whenever I try to open my media on it.  I am running v6.9.2 of UnRaid.  Any ideas?

Thanks

plex log.jpg

plex.jpg

It literally says in the log just below it that you don't have to worry about the error given. 🤣

3 minutes ago, adgilcan said:

Any ideas as to why my server should have gone from working perfectly a few months ago to now not recognising the docker container and giving this error?

plex.jpg

I responded earlier today to you, but somehow the forum didn't put it in the topic. It's probably because you haven't claimed your server yet. You can find more information about that in this topic and on the plex documentation.

If that doesn't solve it, let us know so we can troubleshoot.

I'm not sure what you mean by "claiming my server yet".  As i mentioned, My server was working perfectly (and has been for about 10 years) but does not anymore.  I have a Movies share on my server which should be accessible by Plex but somehow  plex does not recognise the docker container PlexMediaServer

10 minutes ago, adgilcan said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "claiming my server yet".  As i mentioned, My server was working perfectly (and has been for about 10 years) but does not anymore.  I have a Movies share on my server which should be accessible by Plex but somehow  plex does not recognise the docker container PlexMediaServer

What does it show in your admin panel? Is there any error or alert?

12 minutes ago, adgilcan said:

I believe it was related to the Data Breach Plex had earlier this year that required everyone to change their Plex password and had to reclaim servers in a lot of cases.

1 minute ago, adgilcan said:

No, it doesn't seem to be that but I do have a "Plex Claim" token to be pasted into the PLEX_CLAIM parameter.  The problem is I cannot see that option

Any ideas?

What makes you say that is not the issue you're having?

You're giving absolutely no information for us to work with to help you.

Well I have logged out of both the app and the plex.tv site, changed the password and logged back in again.  That has not enabled access to my server.  That is what I mean by "it doesn't seem to be that".

I have googled "What if Your Plex Account Requires a Password Reset?" and I came up with:

Docker

For Docker installations, you’ll need to generate a claim token (via https://www.plex.tv/claim) for your Plex account and then set that as the value of the PLEX_CLAIM parameter of the Docker configuration. Refer to the Plex Media Server Docker documentation for more details.

However, as I said, I cannot find the PLEX_CLAI(M parameter in the docker config.

I can't give you information I don't have.  I posted the docker log and got a somewhat unhelpful response.  I don't know what other information you need.  You did ask for the admin panel log.  Where would I find that?

Thanks

1 minute ago, adgilcan said:

Well I have logged out of both the app and the plex.tv site, changed the password and logged back in again.  That has not enabled access to my server.  That is what I mean by "it doesn't seem to be that".

I have googled "What if Your Plex Account Requires a Password Reset?" and I came up with:

Docker

For Docker installations, you’ll need to generate a claim token (via https://www.plex.tv/claim) for your Plex account and then set that as the value of the PLEX_CLAIM parameter of the Docker configuration. Refer to the Plex Media Server Docker documentation for more details.

However, as I said, I cannot find the PLEX_CLAI(M parameter in the docker config.

I can't give you information I don't have.  I posted the docker log and got a somewhat unhelpful response.  I don't know what other information you need.  You did ask for the admin panel log.  Where would I find that?

Thanks

You have to add the PLEX_CLAIM parameter as variable to your docker template. And if you find that too difficult, delete the docker (not the appdata!!) and then just install the plex docker again from the app store.

I asked if anything shows in your admin panel. So just look into the admin panel, do you have any icons that seem to alert something or seem to need attention?

You have to add the PLEX_CLAIM parameter as variable to your docker template. And if you find that too difficult, delete the docker (not the appdata!!) and then just install the plex docker again from the app store.

Thanks for your help on this.  It appeared to be the PLEX_CLAIM change which had tripped me up plus something(s) else.  Despite being fully updated it simply wouldn’t work, so I deleted all but the appdata, including the template and started again.  Now it works fine.

EDITED

Ok i had multiple issues sorting this, most relating to firewall rules causing confusion.  I also went on a circle edditing prefrences.xml, which i had to use krusader to change permissions so i could edit in windows.  I dont think this was needed so just use the below instructions.

---------------------------------------------

Log into Plex.tv. Then go to https://www.plex.tv/claim/. You get a code that is valid for 4 minutes, if you need more time than 4 minutes, just reload the page and use the new code. Leave this window open.

Enter the following within unraid terminal (click icon on the main page)
curl -X POST 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/myplex/claim?token=CLAIM_CODE_HERE'  

If your Claim Code is claim-TxXXA3SYXX55XcXXjQt6, you enter the following in terminal/command prompt:
curl -X POST 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/myplex/claim?token=claim-TxXXA3SYXX55XcXXjQt6'

Wait a little bit after entering, after 10 seconds or so you will see stuff appear on your screen. That's it, after this step you should see your Server visible again in Plex (just open it as you usually would, or via https://app.plex.tv/).

Link to source

-------------------------------------------

Use terminal within unraid (little icon main page).  5minute fix at most :)

Edited by Greygoose

reverted to <tryin to find latest working rls>, "latest" version again does not transcode...

edit: coulnt find a plex version working, maybe nvidia update? I also updated unraid (rebooted), but unraid didnt changed anything too obv about transcode... 

its crazy i dont know what the problem is

i had working 

Now the only combo working i found is

Unraid 6.11.5

Plex 1.27.1.5891-c29537f86 

Nvidia 515.76

anyone any idea?

Only thing changed is unraid? Am i the only one with problems?

Edited by nuhll
22 hours ago, adgilcan said:

Thanks for your help on this.  It appeared to be the PLEX_CLAIM change which had tripped me up plus something(s) else.  Despite being fully updated it simply wouldn’t work, so I deleted all but the appdata, including the template and started again.  Now it works fine.

Glad you got it working, it's been an annoying happening when you've been away for a while and didn't get the information at that time everyone had to do this.

13 hours ago, Greygoose said:

EDITED

Ok i had multiple issues sorting this, most relating to firewall rules causing confusion.  I also went on a circle edditing prefrences.xml, which i had to use krusader to change permissions so i could edit in windows.  I dont think this was needed so just use the below instructions.

---------------------------------------------

Log into Plex.tv. Then go to https://www.plex.tv/claim/. You get a code that is valid for 4 minutes, if you need more time than 4 minutes, just reload the page and use the new code. Leave this window open.

Enter the following within unraid terminal (click icon on the main page)
curl -X POST 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/myplex/claim?token=CLAIM_CODE_HERE'  

If your Claim Code is claim-TxXXA3SYXX55XcXXjQt6, you enter the following in terminal/command prompt:
curl -X POST 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/myplex/claim?token=claim-TxXXA3SYXX55XcXXjQt6'

Wait a little bit after entering, after 10 seconds or so you will see stuff appear on your screen. That's it, after this step you should see your Server visible again in Plex (just open it as you usually would, or via https://app.plex.tv/).

Link to source

-------------------------------------------

Use terminal within unraid (little icon main page).  5minute fix at most :)

Nice that you got it working! Next time, just read back a bit in this topic, the  Plex Claim issue had been discussed in the posts right before your first one.  Hopefully these kinds of problems will be not necessary anymore in the future.

6 hours ago, nuhll said:

reverted to <tryin to find latest working rls>, "latest" version again does not transcode...

edit: coulnt find a plex version working, maybe nvidia update? I also updated unraid (rebooted), but unraid didnt changed anything too obv about transcode... 

its crazy i dont know what the problem is

i had working 

Now the only combo working i found is

Unraid 6.11.5

Plex 1.27.1.5891-c29537f86 

Nvidia 515.76

anyone any idea?

Only thing changed is unraid? Am i the only one with problems?

I'm running 1.30.0.6486 with an Intel iGPU, that's working fine with hw transcoding (just checked it for you). But you're using nvidia? If so, that might be the issue indeed. I'm not a fan of using Nvidia for Plex. Too many dependencies and unknowns it seems.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Kaizac said:

Glad you got it working, it's been an annoying happening when you've been away for a while and didn't get the information at that time everyone had to do this.

Nice that you got it working! Next time, just read back a bit in this topic, the  Plex Claim issue had been discussed in the posts right before your first one.  Hopefully these kinds of problems will be not necessary anymore in the future.

I'm running 1.30.0.6486 with an Intel iGPU, that's working fine with hw transcoding (just checked it for you). But you're using nvidia? If so, that might be the issue indeed. I'm not a fan of using Nvidia for Plex. Too many dependencies and unknowns it seems.

what i really find annoying is that its working FOR MONTHS without problems and then it breaks with out any meaningfull error message... Oo

maybe i should go over to  igpu, but currenlt yit worki ng (with old version)

anyway, someone know where the dvr settings are saved? i had dvr added years ago b ut i cant delete or find anythi ng via ui, so i wanna try to remove the wh ole settings for this.