[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

How can I roll back to a different version since Version 1.30.0.6486 seems to have issues with TrueHD audio.

I was seeing the following errors

[Req#337a4/Transcode/twm3mug6z33n7b5eaab7ttlx/7cc73c99-4ddd-46ae-a2f5-eab7ac3f2736] Error while decoding stream #0:1: No space left on device

error 121 in the syslog

Quick reads say that

Plex Media Server 1.30.x and 1.31.x have a bug transcoding TrueHD audio.

If you are on one of those releases, roll back to 1.29.2 or don't transcode TrueHD audio.

1 hour ago, chip said:

How can I roll back to a different version since Version 1.30.0.6486 seems to have issues with TrueHD audio.

like mentioned many times here too already, look for the tag which you want

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/tags

image.thumb.png.2b694d2bcbfe5b163df1b5051ed474c8.png

change the repo in your docker conf

linuxserver/plex:1.28.2

image.thumb.png.0d05444af2653aa543d5f6d4740a84f7.png

i choose now the lsio  tvheadend docker as i use plexinc plex docker

1 hour ago, chip said:

Quick reads say that

would have brought you here to the solution too ;) how to choose a specific version

On 1/1/2023 at 8:00 PM, Greygoose said:

EDITED

Ok i had multiple issues sorting this, most relating to firewall rules causing confusion.  I also went on a circle edditing prefrences.xml, which i had to use krusader to change permissions so i could edit in windows.  I dont think this was needed so just use the below instructions.

---------------------------------------------

Log into Plex.tv. Then go to https://www.plex.tv/claim/. You get a code that is valid for 4 minutes, if you need more time than 4 minutes, just reload the page and use the new code. Leave this window open.

Enter the following within unraid terminal (click icon on the main page)
curl -X POST 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/myplex/claim?token=CLAIM_CODE_HERE'  

If your Claim Code is claim-TxXXA3SYXX55XcXXjQt6, you enter the following in terminal/command prompt:
curl -X POST 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/myplex/claim?token=claim-TxXXA3SYXX55XcXXjQt6'

Wait a little bit after entering, after 10 seconds or so you will see stuff appear on your screen. That's it, after this step you should see your Server visible again in Plex (just open it as you usually would, or via https://app.plex.tv/).

Link to source

-------------------------------------------

Use terminal within unraid (little icon main page).  5minute fix at most :)

First question I have installed plex using the apps tab in Unraid. Got the claim code from plex and it seems to all be fine as this is how it shows up on the docker

Plex-Media-Server
started up-to-datehost192.168.1.1:1900/UDP192.168.1.1:1900
192.168.1.1:32400/TCP192.168.1.1:32400
192.168.1.1:32410/UDP192.168.1.1:32410
192.168.1.1:32412/UDP192.168.1.1:32412
192.168.1.1:32413/UDP192.168.1.1:32413
192.168.1.1:32414/UDP192.168.1.1:32414
192.168.1.1:32469/TCP192.168.1.1:32469
192.168.1.1:8324/TCP192.168.1.1:8324/tower.local/mnt/user/appdata/Plex-Media-Server/transcode/
/mnt/disk1/sambashare/movies//mnt/disk1/sambashare/Movies/
/config/mnt/user/appdata/Plex-Media-ServerONUptime: 9 seconds (healthy)

Created: 11 seconds ago

However, when I open plex using the WEBUI I get my norml user choice screen but when I log in as me I somehow get Shield Android TV as my server. This has an error as it is unavailable.

I was under the impression that when I set up the plex media server using the official docker from Unraid apps pointing the paths to where the files are stored and claim my server with the code from plex it should work?

I cannot find where to enable SSH. Where is that control panel mentioned in the instructions above?

When I use the commands in the linux mint cinnamon terminal (my system runs on linux mint cinnamon) it isn't a valid command.

Unfortunately I am an absolute beginner and have not even the basic knowledge so will need basic dummie step by step instructions to get my plex on unraid working.

All help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

21 hours ago, wgstarks said:

If you click the docker icon “Support” should be one of the options. This will take you to the proper support thread for whichever Plex docker you have installed.

Unfortunately there is nothing in that plex support forum that gets me beyond the problem.

I now managed to get it running but instead of recognising that I have the Plex-Media Server installed on Unraid when I open the Web ui now the plex app asks for me to bwe able to add my media I need to download a plex media server. Which I obviously have just done and successfully set up according to the message I got after finishing the install. 

Screenshot from 2023-01-10 17-00-28.png

Screenshot from 2023-01-10 17-38-48.png

Edited by Phil Ash
added screenshot Unraid docker
35 minutes ago, Phil Ash said:

Unfortunately there is nothing in that plex support forum

Yeah. I don’t think the official docker is well supported. My recommendation would be to install the linuxserver.io version that is supported in this thread. It’ll mean starting from scratch probably but the support is better.

10 hours ago, gregzee said:

I want to put any transcode data in my tmp. I see that /config is pointed towards app data and saying it can get up to 50G or more for large collections.. Is this because of transcoding?

How can I make sure that I point transcoding data over to /tmp/transcode or something?

You definitely want your main Plex Appdata folder on an SSD for the best browsing experience. 

My current Plex library is using ~8 GB in its Appdata folder:
- Movies: 2248

- TV Shows / Episodes: 444 / 12269

- Music Artists / Tracks: 31 / 1537

image.png.66d7a5a029c778617680c7b4544463cf.png

The Transcode directory should only have the current active streams and only for the amount of time you have set for transcode buffer, so unless you regularly have 20+ streams that your server is transcoding, you don't have to worry too much.  I think mine with 4 streams once hit about 7 GB of usage, but that is purely me trying to remember something from years ago.

With that said, and with Unraid supporting multiple pools now, I personally have my transcode directory mapped to an old Intel 660p SSD on it's own pool just called 'cache_temp' so that I'm not wastefully writing to my good redundant SSD cache pool.

You could mount it to the linux temp file system at /dev/shm, but that is in your memory and if Plex does do something weird and doesn't delete previous transcode streams, then you eat your memory fast and cause other issues.

The large Plex usage in my experience is mostly attributed to a few things:
1) Video Preview Thumbnails (Individual Library Advanced Settings > Advanced > Enable video preview thumbnails): This takes up a ton of space per video

2) Chapter thumbnails (Server Settings > Library > Generate chapter thumbnails): Takes up a good amount of space, less then video preview thumbnails, but still a good extra chunk

3) Lots of TV shows: Each episode gets meta data and with more scene changes, typically 3 or 4 episodes of TV will take up more space then a single movie

• Like 1

Hello,

So after the newest release of the plex docker i have been having issues. Some shows wont play, Audio plays but no video, also now it wont scan my new files. I have added a bunch of new stuff and its not scanning like it has always. I have had no issues updating the plex docker from Linuxserver.io and really like it but this is a first.

Not sure what is happening. I have had a few family members let me kow about the play back issues which was fine until i did the update yesterday.

Any help on this? Also i have tried to revert back to the one from Dec but the logs keeps saying : ########################################################
# Upgrade attempt failed, this could be because either #
# plex update site is down, local network issues, or   #
# you were trying to get a version that simply doesn't #
# exist, check over the VERSION variable thoroughly &  #
# correct it or try again later.                       #
########################################################

7 hours ago, axipher said:

With that said, and with Unraid supporting multiple pools now, I personally have my transcode directory mapped to an old Intel 660p SSD on it's own pool just called 'cache_temp' so that I'm not wastefully writing to my good redundant SSD cache pool.

This is exactly what I do (along with Unmanic as well).  My drive is a *very* old Kingston HyperX 120GB.  It has been in at least a half dozen machines previously.  Figured I'd just beat the snot out of it until it finally dies.  I can't complain for the use it has given me all of these years.

22 minutes ago, CrazyBoyS said:

Any help on this? Also i have tried to revert back to the one from Dec but the logs keeps saying

How exactly did you revert back to the previous version?  I needed to do this awhile back, as Plex broke their live TV streaming.  It would stop the playback every 10 minutes or so.  Hard to watch a football game that way.

After some searching around the Internet, I found which was the best version for this issue.  Then searched the linuxserver.io tags for that version.  Goes in the Repository line as in my screenshot.

Plex always has issues.  They fix or add one thing, and break two or more.  Their regression testing is terrible to non-existent.  It isn't linuxserver.io's fault - They take the application's current release, put it in a Docker container with the appropriate hooks, and put it up for download.  Issues with the application are on the application's developers, not them.

Plex tags.JPG

Edited by ConnerVT
speeling
15 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

This is exactly what I do (along with Unmanic as well).  My drive is a *very* old Kingston HyperX 120GB.  It has been in at least a half dozen machines previously.  Figured I'd just beat the snot out of it until it finally dies.  I can't complain for the use it has given me all of these years.

How exactly did you revert back to the previous version?  I needed to do this awhile back, as Plex broke their live TV streaming.  It would stop the playback every 10 minutes or so.  Hard to watch a football game that way.

After some searching around the Internet, I found which was the best version for this issue.  Then searched the linuxserver.io tags for that version.  Goes in the Repository line as in my screenshot.

Plex always has issues.  They fix or add one thing, and break two or more.  Their regression testing is terrible to non-existent.  It isn't linuxserver.io's fault - They take the application's current release, put it in a Docker container with the appropriate hooks, and put it up for download.  Issues with the application are on the application's developers, not them.

Plex tags.JPG

I was able to get this working. It actually was as you said plex itself.  It corrupted my DB. Just stopped plex container -> Went to the DB in plex folder structure -> Backed up current DB and then restored one from a few days ago -> Started Plex Container and boom started scanning and loading my missing stuff.

Appreciate the guidence.

• Like 1
On 1/12/2023 at 5:52 PM, CrazyBoyS said:

Hello,

So after the newest release of the plex docker i have been having issues. Some shows wont play, Audio plays but no video, also now it wont scan my new files. I have added a bunch of new stuff and its not scanning like it has always. I have had no issues updating the plex docker from Linuxserver.io and really like it but this is a first.

Not sure what is happening. I have had a few family members let me kow about the play back issues which was fine until i did the update yesterday.

Any help on this? Also i have tried to revert back to the one from Dec but the logs keeps saying : ########################################################

I've heard that reverting to the previous 1.30.0 version fixes the issue.  Just not sure how to do that.

15 minutes ago, Kreavan said:

I've heard that reverting to the previous 1.30.0 version fixes the issue.  Just not sure how to do that.

In the fist post of this thread there is a link to the docker hub repo. That repo contains all the previous tag numbers. Find the one you want to use.

In the unRAID docker tab click on the docker name and it will open the edit window.

73D3143D-ED65-4A49-A6EC-D36069EFEFB1.thumb.jpeg.b8000915f98b4afc02078b96f9d49ea7.jpeg

Type a colon and the tag number after the name in the repository field (no spaces).

Click apply at the bottom of the page.

actually tried this and its not pulling. Says errors.

**** Server already claimed ****
Atempting to upgrade to: linuxserver/plex:1.30.0.6486-629d58034-ls147

Sorry if this has been discussed before - I tried searching the thread but haven't found anything...running the Linixserverio Plex docker and I just updated Unraid from 6.2 to the latest version 6.11.5. 

I'm not sure if that's what caused it for sure but shortly after updating my Plex poster art has started disappearing from random movies and TV shows. It seems like it's slowly getting worse as days pass. 

I tried looking at the Plex logs but I honestly don't know what I'm looking for to figure out what is causing this. If I had a guess, I know there was some sort of permission issue or change from 6.9 to later versions of Unraid so I'm not sure if there's a permission I need to change or something in Unraid for my MEDIA folder? 

If I remove the movie or show completely from Plex and readd it (by doing the Plex Dance) it will rescan the show and the metadata shows back up. I can't get it to refresh or anything without completely removing the media and readding it. 

I looked at the Plex logs and found this but not sure what it means (or if it's relevant). 

2023-01-16 23:52:39,509 (145600662808) :  ERROR (networking:196) - Error opening URL 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/:/plugins/com.plexapp.system/resourceHashes'
2023-01-16 23:52:39,511 (145600662808) :  CRITICAL (runtime:1299) - Exception getting hosted resource hashes (most recent call last):

I'm wondering if maybe the database is corrupted or something after the update? I have no issues playing back the media or anything like that. Any info or pointers would be great. Thanks! 

Edit: more logs from the console

[Req#105d79] IsDirectory failed boost::filesystem::status: Permission denied: "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata/Movies/4/a3fe0e131186b760fefce10ac1cb5197ba1a18b.bundle/Contents/_combined/posters"

[Req#105d79] Error creating directory "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata/Movies/4/a3fe0e131186b760fefce10ac1cb5197ba1a18b.bundle/Contents/_combined/posters": Permission denied

[Req#105d79] Couldn't check for the existence of file "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata/Movies/4/a3fe0e131186b760fefce10ac1cb5197ba1a18b.bundle/Contents/_combined/art/tv.plex.agents.movie_6eee0a1480e9e4e971cc3c1f155350caf4c7e90c": boost::filesystem::status: Permission denied: "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata/Movies/4/a3fe0e131186b760fefce10ac1cb5197ba1a18b.bundle/Contents/_combined/art/tv.plex.agents.movie_6eee0a1480e9e4e971cc3c1f155350caf4c7e90c"

[Req#105d79] Error creating directory "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata/Movies/4/a3fe0e131186b760fefce10ac1cb5197ba1a18b.bundle/Contents/_combined/art": Permission denied

[Req#105d79] MetadataAgent: unable to save art asset from 'https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/5uLqjVQlKNR4MbOeuheaRihPxAx.jpg' to '"/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Metadata/Movies/4/a3fe0e131186b760fefce10ac1cb5197ba1a18b.bundle/Contents/_combined/art"'

SOLVED: 

Thanks to another post I found it turns out it was a permissions issue, I ran this script to fix the issue:

#!/bin/bash
for dir in "/mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer/"
do
`echo $dir` `chmod -R ug+rw,ug+X,o-rwx $dir`
chown -R nobody:users $dir
done

Edited by BudgetAudiophile
On 1/1/2023 at 8:59 PM, nuhll said:

Now the only combo working i found is

Unraid 6.11.5

Plex 1.27.1.5891-c29537f86 

Nvidia 515.76

I am having the same issue and did the same as you but just with Plex 1.29. I have been over in the plex forums and they are at least acknowledging a problem... but it does seem limited to unraid. They claim that with that rolled back NVIDIA driver it should work with the latest 1.30.x versions, but that did not work for me. 

I am hoping they get this resolved quickly but no fix as of yet. 

Hi, 

i have a problem with plex. I followed also space invaders guide but i still have a problem

My plex doesn't use hw acceleration

System and nvdia driver (installed) report my quadro t400 gpu

plex doesn't find it and use always cpu for trascoding

How can i use my nvidia for trancode?

thsnks

NVIDIADRIVER.png

plex.png

plexs2.png

system.png

2 hours ago, Lordbye said:

Hi, 

i have a problem with plex. I followed also space invaders guide but i still have a problem

My plex doesn't use hw acceleration

System and nvdia driver (installed) report my quadro t400 gpu

plex doesn't find it and use always cpu for trascoding

How can i use my nvidia for trancode?

thsnks

----------------------

2 hours ago, Lordbye said:
I probably found the problem, I don't have plex pass but only plex base and therefore it doesn't allow me the hw decoding. It's possible?