[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I updated my docker and it didn't come back up properly.

I restarted it.  The log now just shows:

[migrations] started
[migrations] no migrations found

-------------------------------------
          _         ()
         | |  ___   _    __
         | | / __| | |  /  \
         | | \__ \ | | | () |
         |_| |___/ |_|  \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io

To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid:    99
User gid:    100

**** Server already claimed ****
No update required
[custom-init] No custom files found, skipping...
Starting Plex Media Server. . . (you can ignore the libusb_init error)
[ls.io-init] done.

When I go to https://ipadress:32400/web/index.html

I just get:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Response code="503" title="Maintenance" status="Plex Media Server is currently running database migrations."/>

Any ideas where to go from here?

• Upvote 4
On 1/26/2023 at 6:04 AM, Luc1fer said:

I had the same issue. I downgraded to 1.30.2.6563

In linuxserver's container look for the variable labeled Version: and put in the version number, I had a tough time finding a good changelog so I used https://www.videohelp.com/software/Plex/version-history to find the version I wanted.

• Thanks 1
On 1/26/2023 at 4:04 AM, Luc1fer said:

[migrations] started

_         ()
         | |  ___   _    __
         | | / __| | |  /  \
         | | \__ \ | | | () |
         |_| |___/ |_|  \__/

GID/UID

No update required
[ls.io-init] done.

I just get:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Response code="503" title="Maintenance" status="Plex Media Server is currently running database migrations."/>

I've seen this with several updates.  In each case if I give it enough time it goes away, so my presumption is that it actually is doing some sort of database migration.  With this most recent update it took long enough to make me nervous, but after a bit over an hour it disappeared and Plex started running normally.

Does anyone know what is really going on?  It doesn't seem like there would be very frequent database migrations, but I don't really know.

Kevin

On 1/26/2023 at 7:04 AM, Luc1fer said:

[migrations] started

_         ()
         | |  ___   _    __
         | | / __| | |  /  \
         | | \__ \ | | | () |
         |_| |___/ |_|  \__/

GID/UID

No update required
[ls.io-init] done.

I just get:

I'm also experiencing this.  No updates to the docker, and it was running fine earlier today (maybe around noon time).  I'm seeing a series of the attached error messages in the logs.  I found a link to an old Reddit thread suggesting that I make a change to the network settings in Server settings.  The strange thing is I can load Plex in the browser, but content will not play and I can't get at any settings to make changes.  I don't recall ever entering any IP address or range into the server settings.

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 9.27.20 PM.png

On 2/1/2023 at 5:08 AM, kolepard said:

I've seen this with several updates.  In each case if I give it enough time it goes away, so my presumption is that it actually is doing some sort of database migration.  With this most recent update it took long enough to make me nervous, but after a bit over an hour it disappeared and Plex started running normally.

Does anyone know what is really going on?  It doesn't seem like there would be very frequent database migrations, but I don't really know.

Kevin

It's funny you should say that, because I posted this message and went to bed while I waited for guidance.  By the morning it had "fixed" itself.  It would be nice to know what it is doing.  Maybe a warning that it will take a while and to wait, as I rebooted the docker a few times and force updated it which probably only served to slow things down.

Hi all,

I have had hardware transcoding set up with my server’s i5 -11400 for a few years now with no issues. Today I am suddenly getting the following error message (~30 seconds after starting a transcode):

1576726388_PlexDesktopClient4KTranscodeError.png.3fa3571a1c3963be83e69aa52f97d5a8.png

Server Version#: 1.30.2.6563 (Linxserver.io Docker, Unraid 6.9.2)
Player Version#: Multiple (Web, Windows Desktop, Android)

This does not occur all the time, but does occur every time I try to transcode 4K content and only some of the time with 1080p content. When I start trying to transcode the video playback stops, and ~30 seconds later I get the error.

From the server playback view nothing appears to be wrong. Hardware transcoding is shown and the time for the video playing continues to pass even though the screen is blank. There is about a 30 second period between when I start transcoding and the error message shows up.

684224860_Error1.png.23d13650a021c8c1a5233151df137293.png

In addition I am seeing much higher CPU usage during my attempts to transcode than I normally see when hardware transcoding is working properly.

I have confirmed this happens with both remote and local connections to my server, and across windows desktop client, web client and android (which makes sense as the transcoding issue appears to be happening on the server, not client side).

I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plex docker but no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I love Plex.  I also hate Plex.  Every update is an adventure.  They almost always break something while adding/fixing another.

I no longer update Plex unless I have a strong compelling reason to do so.  Then, before I do, I note my current working version and make a backup of the (critical) appdata.

Same issue here.  After this most recent update my Plex container using tons of CPU.
Transcoding does not seem to be using my GPU.  Heck, even the transcode folder was acting up and using the docker image instead of /dev/shm.  Took a reboot of the entire server to fix the folder issue.  GPU still not working though.

Edit: Looks like if I restart the container, the Transcode folder issue comes back.  I have to restart the whole server to fix it and nobody can watch without buffering.

Edit2: Rolled back to 1.30.1.6562-915986d62-ls148 - same issue.  Trying a different nvidia driver version.

Edit3: Tried latest production branch driver and same issue.  Plex is using CPU & Docker Image for transcoding.  Seems to be a Known Issue

Edited by ShadeZeRO
43 minutes ago, ShadeZeRO said:

Same issue here.  After this most recent update my Plex container using tons of CPU.
Transcoding does not seem to be using my GPU.  Heck, even the transcode folder was acting up and using the docker image instead of /dev/shm.  Took a reboot of the entire server to fix the folder issue.  GPU still not working though.

Edit: Looks like if I restart the container, the Transcode folder issue comes back.  I have to restart the whole server to fix it and nobody can watch without buffering.

Edit2: Rolled back to 1.30.1.6562-915986d62-ls148 - same issue.  Trying a different nvidia driver version.

Edit3: Tried latest production branch driver and same issue.  Plex is using CPU & Docker Image for transcoding.

I turned off GPU transcoding and my users are able to stream again.   

43 minutes ago, ZosoPage1963 said:

I turned off GPU transcoding and my users are able to stream again.   

Doesn't that mean it uses your CPU?
Also - I did some (more) testing.

GPU transcode works fine if I don't stream at original quality.  Uses the transcode folder properly.
If doing direct play the docker image fills up and the stream stutters.

Edit: Disabling Direct Play on the client seems to fix it for now.

Edited by ShadeZeRO
Hi all,

I have had hardware transcoding set up with my server’s i5 -11400 for a few years now with no issues. Today I am suddenly getting the following error message (~30 seconds after starting a transcode):

1576726388_PlexDesktopClient4KTranscodeError.png.3fa3571a1c3963be83e69aa52f97d5a8.png

Server Version#: 1.30.2.6563 (Linxserver.io Docker, Unraid 6.9.2)
Player Version#: Multiple (Web, Windows Desktop, Android)

This does not occur all the time, but does occur every time I try to transcode 4K content and only some of the time with 1080p content. When I start trying to transcode the video playback stops, and ~30 seconds later I get the error.

From the server playback view nothing appears to be wrong. Hardware transcoding is shown and the time for the video playing continues to pass even though the screen is blank. There is about a 30 second period between when I start transcoding and the error message shows up.

684224860_Error1.png.23d13650a021c8c1a5233151df137293.png

In addition I am seeing much higher CPU usage during my attempts to transcode than I normally see when hardware transcoding is working properly.

I have confirmed this happens with both remote and local connections to my server, and across windows desktop client, web client and android (which makes sense as the transcoding issue appears to be happening on the server, not client side).
I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plex docker but no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What does your container parameters settings look like? I understand you’re not using a discrete GPU but Intel CPU integrated hw transcoding capabilities, correct?
Have you verified the settings to be

Intel GPU
1. Edit your go file and add modprobe i915 to it, save and reboot.
2. Add the Plex container and add --device=/dev/dri to extra parameters (switch on advanced template view) There is no need to chmod/chown the /dev/dri, this is handled by the container.

?

On a side note, I used to use linuxserver.io container but switched to the official Plex Media Container some years ago with an Nvidia P2000 GPU and never looked back.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
5 hours ago, ShadeZeRO said:

Edit3: Tried latest production branch driver and same issue.  Plex is using CPU & Docker Image for transcoding.  Seems to be a Known Issue

Definitely a known issue. https://forums.plex.tv/t/quicksync-hardware-transcoding-error-4294967279/829247/6

3 hours ago, BigFam said:

What does your container parameters settings look like? I understand you’re not using a discrete GPU but Intel CPU integrated hw transcoding capabilities, correct?
Have you verified the settings to be

Intel GPU
1. Edit your go file and add modprobe i915 to it, save and reboot.
2. Add the Plex container and add --device=/dev/dri to extra parameters (switch on advanced template view) There is no need to chmod/chown the /dev/dri, this is handled by the container.

?

On a side note, I used to use linuxserver.io container but switched to the official Plex Media Container some years ago with an Nvidia P2000 GPU and never looked back.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Yes I'm using the igpu for hardware transcoding (intel quicksync). I already tried reinstalling the docker from scratch, manually reentering my settings & paths to confirm they are correct. ChuckPa on the plex forums has confirmed this is a bug they are working on fixing: https://forums.plex.tv/t/quicksync-hardware-transcoding-error-4294967279/829247/6

7 hours ago, Ocman76 said:

ChuckPa on the plex forums has confirmed its a bug they are working on fixing: https://forums.plex.tv/t/quicksync-hardware-transcoding-error-4294967279/829247/6

Is the Transcoding issue related?  My issue is with the docker crashing intermittently, I'm not experiencing the Transcoding problem. I have crossposted this in the Plex forums but there's been no response yet:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-docker-dying-after-reboot-but-no-log-errors/829309/2

Edited by jackfalveyiv

I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else, but I've tried on Reddit and on Plex forums and have gotten no answer. 

Plex will randomly transcode an entire movie to my /transcode folder (set to /tmp currently) and let it sit there until I manually delete it. When I check the logs, that movie has never been transcoded before at any time, and the movie it's doing it to now hasn't even been played in three years. The movies are always seemingly random too. 

I have no idea how to diagnose or fix the issue, and it's caused my server to crash because a 22GB file was eating up almost half my ram.

14 hours ago, jackfalveyiv said:

Is the Transcoding issue related?  My issue is with the docker crashing intermittently, I'm not experiencing the Transcoding problem. I have crossposted this in the Plex forums but there's been no response yet:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-docker-dying-after-reboot-but-no-log-errors/829309/2

Hmm thats odd, perhaps you are experiencing a different issue. Have you tried reverting to linuxserver.io plex docker version 1.29.2.6364-6d72b0cf6? That fixed the transcoding issue for me, worth a shot.

4 hours ago, ZosoPage1963 said:

Any idea if this is working with other containers?  In case it is with only this container, then there is this to help switch to another... which one should I go to (if necessary)?

Try reverting to linuxserver.io plex docker version 1.29.2.6364-6d72b0cf6. That fixed the transcoding issue for me.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RandomPedestrian said:

Plex will randomly transcode an entire movie to my /transcode folder (set to /tmp currently) and let it sit there until I manually delete it.

may take a look at your server and read about "optimized versions" and / or download feature for clients, plex then transcodes and provides these transcoded versions.