[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

4 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

This thread is for the lunuxserverio version of the Plex docker.  You've got the plexinc version there.

Also, it looks like you're transcoding directly to your array, which I would have thought would be a nightmare.

Ok that is insightful. I just set it up like what was shown on a youtube video by space invaders. 

If this plexinc one is the better version of a docker, I could start using this and kill the other one?

Sorry, im a noob, please be gentle. 

Is there a guide somewhere to configure this docker?

2 hours ago, alitech said:

Is there a guide somewhere to configure this docker?

once you decided which docker you want to take and then post in the proper thread, 1 hint ahead.

you are adding nvidia ... but not a plex pass token, so in terms you want to use hardware accel transcoding a plex pass is mandatory ... nevermind which docker you are choosing now (and dont post the token here then)

if you dont want to buy plex pass subscription, then remove at least this entry, also the nvidia runtime and GPU ID.

image.thumb.png.4fade31d6a096463759f245814e0b465.png

and what i asked for would have come after hitting "done" in the buttom, there you see the docker run command and the error if its not working ... at least a error message, also on every docker ...

1/ choose which docker you want to choose, plexinc is the official one but then you are wrong here, move to the proper thread

2/ choose if you want hw acc transcoding, buy a licence ... or remove the entrys

3/ may start reading some basics about docker's to understand ... makes your life easier in terms other dockers shell follow

• Like 1
3 hours ago, alturismo said:

once you decided which docker you want to take and then post in the proper thread, 1 hint ahead.

you are adding nvidia ... but not a plex pass token, so in terms you want to use hardware accel transcoding a plex pass is mandatory ... nevermind which docker you are choosing now (and dont post the token here then)

if you dont want to buy plex pass subscription, then remove at least this entry, also the nvidia runtime and GPU ID.

image.thumb.png.4fade31d6a096463759f245814e0b465.png

and what i asked for would have come after hitting "done" in the buttom, there you see the docker run command and the error if its not working ... at least a error message, also on every docker ...

1/ choose which docker you want to choose, plexinc is the official one but then you are wrong here, move to the proper thread

2/ choose if you want hw acc transcoding, buy a licence ... or remove the entrys

3/ may start reading some basics about docker's to understand ... makes your life easier in terms other dockers shell follow

Thanks for your reply. I can use the official one I have no issues with that. I guess I will remove this docker and start afresh. 

I do have a plex pass lifetime one so that is what I am using, I guess I didnt configure it to put the Key in the docker which I should have done, this may be been costing me a lot of CPU usage which I was not aware of. 

Plex is lagging.

Sometimes Plex is lagging when streaming 4K material Direct Play, especially when bitrates are at 90-100 Mb/s and above. Material is in HEVC. Streamers are ATV4 (latest) and Shield Pro. The distribution is Server -> Switch -> Unifi Router (UDM) -> Switch ->Shield/ATV -> Trinnov -> TV. Switches are Unifi. 2 servers and a game machine (mostly off). It is not much traffic on my net in general. To me it seems that it is the steamers not being able to keep up. But that's just a guess. 

Anyone having the same issue? Any suggestion on have to identify the problem? Most happy for any feedback.

50 minutes ago, frodr said:

Plex is lagging when streaming 4K material Direct Play, especially when bitrates are at 90-100 Mb/s and above

i would say thats not a docker issue due in fact its "only" 9 - 10 MB/s, but ... most players are not capable to handle those high bitrates to decode, what wonders me, your shield tv pro usually should be fine if wired LAN, ATV ... well ... and most native TV Apps wont handle this hig bitrates anyway, LG mostly 50 mbits up, Sammy's ~ 80 mbits up ... rather look forward in the Plex Forums which Players will handle it properly ...

• Thanks 1

I have been running the linuxserver.io plex docker for a long ime.  Since I did the recent updates, this docker has been crashing my Unraid server.  I haven't had any problems up until these recent updates.  I haven't made any changes.  I did considerable testing to prove I dont have any hardware issues.  I can watch a movie fine, it is when plex is doing maintenance between 3am and 5am.  It will literally crash my entire server.  Anyone else experiencing this same problem?

I am currently considering uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that helps.  I am also looking for a good procedure to uninstall this docker and keep the watch/unwatched information in Plex.

46 minutes ago, hunter69 said:

I have been running the linuxserver.io plex docker for a long ime.  Since I did the recent updates, this docker has been crashing my Unraid server.  I haven't had any problems up until these recent updates.  I haven't made any changes.  I did considerable testing to prove I dont have any hardware issues.  I can watch a movie fine, it is when plex is doing maintenance between 3am and 5am.  It will literally crash my entire server.  Anyone else experiencing this same problem?

I am currently considering uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that helps.  I am also looking for a good procedure to uninstall this docker and keep the watch/unwatched information in Plex.

Any logs from the Docker container or from the application logs themselves? Does it crash immediately or after some time? I would at least try to debug the situation a little bit to find root cause before trying to uninstall and restore.

Anyone have any idea why the version of linuxserver/Plex I have been using for the last 3 years is now somehow different than the linuxserver/Plex on the Apps storefront? The 'new' version has a repo of 'lscr.io/linuxserver/plex' where is my existing version is simply 'linuxserver/plex'. My existing version is only visible on the Apps store if I go to 'Installed Apps'. The new version gives me the option to Install instead of saying it's already installed. Should I stop using the old one and move to the new one? Couldn't find any information on this elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, dcarpenter85 said:

Anyone have any idea why the version of linuxserver/Plex I have been using for the last 3 years is now somehow different than the linuxserver/Plex on the Apps storefront? The 'new' version has a repo of 'lscr.io/linuxserver/plex' where is my existing version is simply 'linuxserver/plex'. My existing version is only visible on the Apps store if I go to 'Installed Apps'. The new version gives me the option to Install instead of saying it's already installed. Should I stop using the old one and move to the new one? Couldn't find any information on this elsewhere.

My Plex stopped working recently, the Docker seems to fail to complete startup. I came across your post and checked my setup and I'm seeing the same thing as you are. The app I have installed shows linuxserver/Plex but the one shown when searching the store shows lscr.io/linuxserver/plex. Did we miss the memo?

Looking at the More Info page for my installed conatiner: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/

The docker-compose file references the image at lscr.io/linuxserver/plex:latest

So it seems something may have become disconnected with the image URL change.

Edited by cdub
Adding more info
13 hours ago, Hoopster said:

@dcarpenter85 Read this which explains where lscr.io came from and why it exists.  It's still the linuxserver.io Plex container, just a different way to get to the repository.

Hi there, I actually read that but it does not answer my initial question--why is the template I am using no longer associated with the linuxserver plex template offered on the App store. They are two totally separate entities now with different variables. For example the ability to specify a transcode folder is missing from the new template where as this option and a few others exist on the template I am currently using.

1 hour ago, dcarpenter85 said:

For example the ability to specify a transcode folder is missing from the new template where as this option and a few others exist on the template I am currently using.

I may have got this *completely* wrong, but my understanding of Unraid Dockers for this situation is this...

All variables/paths, etc. are created when you initially install the docker.  Your template is a snapshot of what the author specifies at that time (which you can further edit as you wish).  If the author edits, adds or removes options further down the line, your settings are not affected when you update.

For example, I manually added a transcode folder at some point., and I'm not sure how an update would handle this.

If this is completely bad information, someone let me know and I'll delete it.  Don't want bad advice in searches.

Hmmm, updated the Plex container today and now my Plex server and local media library are gone. 

Settings menu is very limited and no way to add the server.

All I see is the screen below when trying to add local media.  Not sure I can restore from backup as Appdata backup has been giving me errors lately and I have not tracked down the cause.

Any ideas how to get my server back so I can add local media libraries?

image.thumb.png.1dd0cc3e5bb218c4a3ecc0de8ff1ce78.png

UPDATE: Uninstalled Plex docker and reinstalled.  Logged out and back in.  Got a new claim token.  Tried a specific docker version prior to most recent.  Nothing.  Still no server shows up at all.

Fixed problems with appdata backup and restored a backup from 10 days ago.  Problem persists.

Edited by Hoopster

Following a suggestion in the Plex forums, I changed the docker networking back to Host from the VLAN on which it had been running fine for years.  That allowed the server to be claimed.  When I then changed it back to the VLAN, everything seemed to still work except the direct remote access (yes, I changed the router port forwarding every time the Plex container IP address was changed.)

For now, I have it back on Host until I can work through any issues that may be preventing the VLAN IP address from working.  Other docker containers on that VLAN work just fine.

I'd like to split out my plex data folder to another hard drive. I added another SSD to the server, it's currently under Unassigned Devices. What's the best way to set this up? thanks!

Plex docker > Settings

Repository: lscr.io/linuxserver/plex

Appdata: /mnt/user/appdata/plex

appdata user share settings:

Use cache pool: Only

Select cache pool: Cache

main extra drive.png

56 minutes ago, rutherford said:

I'd like to split out my plex data folder to another hard drive. I added another SSD to the server, it's currently under Unassigned Devices. What's the best way to set this up? thanks!

Plex docker > Settings

Repository: lscr.io/linuxserver/plex

Appdata: /mnt/user/appdata/plex

appdata user share settings:

Use cache pool: Only

Select cache pool: Cache

main extra drive.png

I haven’t tested this but if you copy the appdata folder to the new location preserving all attributes and change your docker’s appdata config to point to the new plex folder it should work. Test before you delete the old Plex appdata folder though. And you should be aware that if the SSD is connected via a USB 3 port that can sometimes be a problem (although hasn’t been for me).

7 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

copy the appdata folder to the new location preserving all attributes and change your docker’s appdata config to point to the new plex folder it should work

I was thinking this yes. In what manner should I add this extra cache drive to array (mark it as not included or something)? Or leave as unassigned device?

• 2 weeks later...

Been running "latest" for as long as I can remember. I woke up this morning to a bunch of "unable to start server: sqlite3..........." errors. An appdata restore didn't resolve anything. But changing "latest" to the previous release "1.32.0.6950-8521b7d99-ls163" resolves the database corruption and Plex works fine. Anyone els having issues with "1.32.0.6973-a787c5a8e-ls164"?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, rmeaux said:

Been running "latest" for as long as I can remember. I woke up this morning to a bunch of "unable to start server: sqlite3..........." errors. An appdata restore didn't resolve anything. But changing "latest" to the previous release "1.32.0.6950-8521b7d99-ls163" resolves the database corruption and Plex works fine. Anyone els having issues with "1.32.0.6973-a787c5a8e-ls164"?

Same issue - thanks for your fix. First tried Spaceinvader's fix (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZDX7Gq7UFU ) unsuccessfully.

• Like 1
On 4/22/2023 at 1:50 AM, rmeaux said:

Thanks for posting this. Something is wrong with release ls164.