[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Hi all, I'm getting an error when trying to save library settings for the last few weeks.  I'm simply trying to change the Visibility settings, but when I save it I get the error "Your changes could not be saved".  Other than this, Plex runs perfectly.  

image.png.6bf11c3cde1d427c03ada4d3ac30a6e8.png

Thoughts?  Posting the permissions of my plex appdata folder for reference.  

image.png.7d5694f7d6460b997a839d52e3e90ffc.png

Thanks!

On 4/21/2023 at 5:50 PM, rmeaux said:

Anyone els having issues with "1.32.0.6973-a787c5a8e-ls164"?

What i see: If i add a movie, the Agents work and work and i cant start the mover to move the file from my Cache to the array.

I need to restart Plex and then the Mover is working... strange but...

ls164 was broken for me. Just tried ls167, also broken. I've reverted back to ls163 and all good again.

When Plex is trying to start up it loops the following error:

Error: Unable to set up server: sqlite3_statement_backend::prepare: no such table: metadata_agent_providers for SQL: update metadata_agent_providers set online = 0 (N4soci10soci_errorE)

Any ideas? My database doesn't like new LS Plex docker images.

Edited by scytherbladez

@scytherbladez the reddit comment below looked pretty helpful for repairing databases. But as you said you rolled back and it's working again.

My setup:

Repository: lscr.io/linuxserver/plex

then in the Plex UX: Settings > General: Version 1.32.1.6999

Ah there are the versions you're talking about, github.

https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex

Releases 1.32.1.6999-91e1e2e2c-ls167

But if going from one version to a newer breaks it, there still may be something going on with only your database. Are you going to stay on ls163 from here on out?

How about nuking and rebuilding? The most annoying part about that is losing the watched/unwatched statuses; but it would probably get you back up and running.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:19 AM, rutherford said:

But if going from one version to a newer breaks it, there still may be something going on with only your database. Are you going to stay on ls163 from here on out?

I decided to fix this last night but soon discovered the problem was not the docker image. As far as I can tell my main Plex database was malformed. Tools/scripts online were unsuccessful at fixing it.

No problem I thought, I'll just restore from a backup. Well... all my backups were also corrupt (I keep 1 months worth). Oh shit.

Read some more and found that Plex should make it's own database backups every 3 days, and it did, but these stopped during Dec 2022. I assume this is the date my Plex database got corrupted. This does raise the question as to why Plex continued to work until a recent docker upgrade alerted me that something was wrong.

I was able to restore Plex with latest docker image using the Plex Dec 2022 database backup, only losing scanned media and watch history for all users since that date.

I have a new level of alertness in that totally automating everything these silent corruptions can occur.

Plex is yet to make one of the automated backups which has me concerned.

Unraid has been super reliable and totally automated for years now but I still don't like it when something like this happens 😮

Edit: After repairing the Dec 2022 backup, automated backups has restarted.

Edited by scytherbladez
On 5/9/2023 at 3:42 AM, scytherbladez said:

ls164 was broken for me. Just tried ls167, also broken. I've reverted back to ls163 and all good again.

When Plex is trying to start up it loops the following error:

Error: Unable to set up server: sqlite3_statement_backend::prepare: no such table: metadata_agent_providers for SQL: update metadata_agent_providers set online = 0 (N4soci10soci_errorE)

Any ideas? My database doesn't like new LS Plex docker images.

I was getting a similar error when updating to the latest:  linuxserver/plex:1.32.1.6999-91e1e2e2c-ls167

I was on 1.31.2-something.  Working forward with the versions I was able to update all the way to: 
linuxserver/plex:1.32.0.6973-a787c5a8e-ls166

As soon as I used the latest "1.32.1.6999-91e1e2e2c-ls167" it broke the database.  Soooo..it it my database or the release?

I've been running plex on my unraid server for quite some time. I was one of those folks waiting for a while for quicksync to work with the 12th gen cpus.  Everything has been working great for a long time. All of a sudden, I've started having problems with transcoding. Even if I try to force transcoding in my home over a 10g connection, it won't play.  It just keeps buffering. I looked in the plex logs and there is a transcoding error, but I'm not sure what it means. I don't have the "extra parameter" added, and havn't configured a device for /dev/dri   do I need to do that?   Any other ideas of what may be the issue. I've attached a screenshot of errors in the log as well as my container config. Any help is appreciated.

plex container.png

plex error.png

2 hours ago, crankyCowboy said:

I've been running plex on my unraid server for quite some time. I was one of those folks waiting for a while for quicksync to work with the 12th gen cpus.  Everything has been working great for a long time. All of a sudden, I've started having problems with transcoding. Even if I try to force transcoding in my home over a 10g connection, it won't play.  It just keeps buffering. I looked in the plex logs and there is a transcoding error, but I'm not sure what it means. I don't have the "extra parameter" added, and havn't configured a device for /dev/dri   do I need to do that?   Any other ideas of what may be the issue. I've attached a screenshot of errors in the log as well as my container config. Any help is appreciated.

plex container.png

plex error.png

Others with the EAE timeout had luck with deleting codecs and either mapping the tmp folder, or fixing its permissions:

@linuxserver.io

Found something interesting and wondering if you can you look into creating a docker with  this: https://github.com/ChuckPa/PlexDBRepair

DBRepair provides database repair and maintenance for the most common Plex Media Server database problems. It is a simple menu-driven utility with a command line backend.

Needs to be installed within the plex container, so a new plex container would be needed with this added so that when you release an updated for plex it does not overwrite the program

Edited by almulder
On 5/15/2023 at 3:48 PM, thegurujim said:

I was getting a similar error when updating to the latest:  linuxserver/plex:1.32.1.6999-91e1e2e2c-ls167

I was on 1.31.2-something.  Working forward with the versions I was able to update all the way to: 
linuxserver/plex:1.32.0.6973-a787c5a8e-ls166

As soon as I used the latest "1.32.1.6999-91e1e2e2c-ls167" it broke the database.  Soooo..it it my database or the release?

I'm having the same problems here as well, also able to update to ls166 and no further... I tried some of the suggested database repair options with no luck.  Glad to know it's just not me.  Lost as to what to do at this point...

On 5/5/2023 at 2:44 PM, Andiroo2 said:

Hi all, I'm getting an error when trying to save library settings for the last few weeks.  I'm simply trying to change the Visibility settings, but when I save it I get the error "Your changes could not be saved".  Other than this, Plex runs perfectly.  

image.png.6bf11c3cde1d427c03ada4d3ac30a6e8.png

Thoughts?  Posting the permissions of my plex appdata folder for reference.  

image.png.7d5694f7d6460b997a839d52e3e90ffc.png

Thanks!

I've been having the same error.

Checked permissions, switched from Plex official to LS.io, checked DB for errors etc and done a clean, rebooted the server... nothing worked.

19 hours ago, supptora said:

I've been having the same error.

Checked permissions, switched from Plex official to LS.io, checked DB for errors etc and done a clean, rebooted the server... nothing worked.

Last weekend I migrated from a Windows box to this container....everything went well, except for ONE of the libraries that got this error when I tried to change it (pathing).  All other libraries worked fine.  It wasn't that big of a deal as it was a little used library, so I just deleted it, and didn't use it.   But, I couldn't figure out how to fix it either to make it work.

4 hours ago, Thunder7ga said:

Last weekend I migrated from a Windows box to this container....everything went well, except for ONE of the libraries that got this error when I tried to change it (pathing).  All other libraries worked fine.  It wasn't that big of a deal as it was a little used library, so I just deleted it, and didn't use it.   But, I couldn't figure out how to fix it either to make it work.

From a lot of research it seems to be a bug with Plex that's happened a few times over the years, but seems more apparent in the past few months. According to some posts, an update a couple of months ago was supposed to fix this, however there's a few posts since about it happening.

I'm holding out for the next update to see if it fixes it, as people have had the issue with brand new installs on both Windows and Linux systems, normal exe and docker containers - plex, LS.io, binhex. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anybody here needed to delete their codecs folder every so often, sometimes a few times a month perhaps? The issue seems specific to EAC3, and I'm getting sick of stopping, deleting the Codecs folder, and restarting PMS. Noticed that playback just spins on clients, as if it's waiting to transcode, but nothing comes. Good old codec delete fixes this. I'm finding I'm doing it way too often.

On 12/15/2022 at 5:08 AM, gzibell said:

Hey All, 

So just swapped a 1660 super into my server for plex transcoding.  AMD system so no quicksync.  When attempting to transcode a video via plex web the video will not start and I am seeing VAAPI errors in the logs.  When I open the same video on my andriod and transcode it works just fine.  The research I have done seems to indicate that VAAPI is related to quicksync and not nvdidia gpu.   

Any suggestions?  I cleared codec folder. Have NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES,  NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES, and --runtime=nvidia on the container with the appropriate values, plexpass version.  Didn't have any issues transcoding on the 960 I had in the system prior.  Seems to be new with the 1660. .

Dec 15, 2022 05:51:33.794 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:34.314 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:34.828 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:35.366 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:35.823 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:36.262 [0x15083df5db38] ERROR - [Req#d79/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:36.495 [0x15083b24cb38] WARN - [Req#dcf/Transcode/xvyh2y66y68l0zw3zs4bgpjv] Transcode runner appears to have died.
Dec 15, 2022 05:51:36.499 [0x15083d689b38] WARN - [Req#dcc/Transcode/xvyh2y66y68l0zw3zs4bgpjv] Transcode runner appears to have died.

Did you ever find a fix for this? Im legit having an extremely similar issue. Expect I have a 1650 Super. 

GPU transcodes on all client players expect browser. If it is 'Converting', it will transcode very slow. If i set it to a specific resolution, i get the following error:

[Req#2ae/Transcode] [FFMPEG] - Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: -1 (unknown libva error).

GPU transcoding works great on all clients except browsers.

Edited by FreeManFreeThinker
13 hours ago, BOGLOAD said:

Has anybody here needed to delete their codecs folder every so often, sometimes a few times a month perhaps? 

Corrupted codecs and needing to delete the codecs folder has been a thing with Plex for years.  Though needing to do this a few times a month is a bit excessive.  When I ran my Plex server on my daily driver Windows machine, I was maybe once every 6 months or so.  Since I moved to Unraid (I run this LIO docker) I haven't needed to do it once.

I would start thinking if there is something out of the ordinary for your Plex install.  Unique encoding or container types, re-encoded files, over encoded files, oddball or over stressed/intermittent hardware, etc.  Everyone's implementation and usage is different, so you are the best person to know what could be triggering this happening.

Has anybody here needed to delete their codecs folder every so often, sometimes a few times a month perhaps? The issue seems specific to EAC3, and I'm getting sick of stopping, deleting the Codecs folder, and restarting PMS. Noticed that playback just spins on clients, as if it's waiting to transcode, but nothing comes. Good old codec delete fixes this. I'm finding I'm doing it way too often.

Never had a problem with the codecs on unraid. Using unraid for 3 years now.

Hi,

Ive upgraded my unraid os to version 12.2.2

Something has gone wrong and not sure if it's the update.

I am unable to reach Plex from any of my clients and I can't open the Web page either.

The Plex container logs show the following error:

Starting Plex Media Server.
(you can ignore the libusb_init error)
Error: Unable to set up server: sqlite3 statement _backend::loadone: database or disk is full (N4soci10soci_errorE

My database disk has plenty of space (it sits on a separate ssd) using unassigned devices tool.

Can anyone please help or advise.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 10:42 AM, ConnerVT said:

Corrupted codecs and needing to delete the codecs folder has been a thing with Plex for years.  Though needing to do this a few times a month is a bit excessive.  When I ran my Plex server on my daily driver Windows machine, I was maybe once every 6 months or so.  Since I moved to Unraid (I run this LIO docker) I haven't needed to do it once.

I would start thinking if there is something out of the ordinary for your Plex install.  Unique encoding or container types, re-encoded files, over encoded files, oddball or over stressed/intermittent hardware, etc.  Everyone's implementation and usage is different, so you are the best person to know what could be triggering this happening.

Interesting that this was mentioned.  For the first time in years of running Plex, I randomly had the mkv h264 codec take a dump.  Couldn't figure out what the problem was.  Just wouldn't stream some shows.  Finally figured out it was mkv files, and all h264.  After an hour of poking around, deleting the contents of the codecs folder in appdata fixed it for me.

• Like 1
On 7/1/2023 at 2:22 PM, Schicksal said:

Never had a problem with the codecs on unraid. Using unraid for 3 years now.

10 hours ago, bumpkin said:

Interesting that this was mentioned.  For the first time in years of running Plex, I randomly had the mkv h264 codec take a dump.  Couldn't figure out what the problem was.  Just wouldn't stream some shows.  Finally figured out it was mkv files, and all h264.  After an hour of poking around, deleting the contents of the codecs folder in appdata fixed it for me.

I have been running Plex for several years now (since Media Browser switched over to Emby.  2017?).  I have only needed to delete codecs a few times.  A couple when my Plex server was running on a Windows machine, maybe once on Unraid.  So it is not (and shouldn't be) something that happens frequently - If it is, I would check for some other underlying issue.  But it is something that can be difficult and frustrating to troubleshoot if you aren't aware of the possibility.

I found out about this from mining the Plex forums years ago (back before they changed their forum style).  From what I have seen in the Plex forum, and the number of responses I've had here in the Unraid forum, it has been the solution for quite a few people to solve their transcoding/playback issues.

Edited by ConnerVT
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an annoying trottling in high bitrate files, Direct Play, about 80Mbps and above.  I had it on three different servers, two different routers and switches.

Added info:

Streamer is Nvidia Shield Pro. File is HECV.

Is this a common problem, I had no hits searching "trottling". 

I added the diagnostics.

From log:

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
───────────────────────────────────────

To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/

GID/UID

User UID:    99
User GID:    100

**** Server already claimed ****
**** permissions for /dev/dri/renderD128 are good ****
**** permissions for /dev/dri/card1 are good ****
**** permissions for /dev/dri/card0 are good ****
Docker is used for versioning skip update check
[custom-init] No custom files found, skipping...
Starting Plex Media Server. . . (you can ignore the libusb_init error)
[ls.io-init] done.
Critical: libusb_init failed

Cheers,

kjell-diagnostics-20230815-0051.zip

Edited by frodr
Added info.
5 hours ago, frodr said:

I just came home to the exact same issue as frodr on both of my plex media servers on two different unraid boxes. Was working great last night. Now niether plex dockers are working, yet all other dockers are fine.

Edited by rader