[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Had this docker working without a problem for some time. Remote access worked a treat. Since updating earlier today to the new container, remote access hasn't worked (confirmed by friends outside my network), and on restart the remote access tab will not connect. Server's connection hasn't changed - only change was the update to the Plex container.

Anything changed? Settings I need to update? Variables I'm using:

PUID: 99

PGID: 100

VERSION: plexpass

Thanks!

Edited to add: Restarted a few more times and the remote access connects. Friends can see contents of my server, browse, etc. But nothing plays outside the network. I added a /transcode path in case that had anything to do with it, but didn't seem to help.

Having the same issue.  I can post the plex log, but I believe this is where things are going wrong.

Sep 24, 2015 22:31:54 [0x2ba506401700] DEBUG - Starting a transcode session 3g2tn2irlh4zpvi at offset -1.0 (stopped=1)
Sep 24, 2015 22:31:54 [0x2ba506401700] WARN - WARNING: Couldn't create directory /transcode/plex-transcode-3g2tn2irlh4zpvi-129a71fa-dbd9-4b49-b729-af719709f128
Sep 24, 2015 22:31:54 [0x2ba506401700] DEBUG - [universal] Using local file path instead of URL: /media/TV/Scandal (2012)/Season 5/Scandal.(2012).S05E01.Heavy Is the Head.HDTV-720p.mkv
Sep 24, 2015 22:31:54 [0x2ba506401700] DEBUG - Job running: XDG_CACHE_HOME='/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/' XDG_DATA_HOME='/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/' '/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plex New Transcoder' '-noaccurate_seek' '-i' '/media/TV/Scandal (2012)/Season 5/Scandal.(2012).S05E01.Heavy Is the Head.HDTV-720p.mkv' '-map' '0:0' '-codec:0' 'copy' '-bsf:0' 'h264_mp4toannexb,h264_plex' '-map' '0:1' '-codec:1' 'aac' '-strict:1' 'experimental' '-cutoff:1' '15000' '-channel_layout:1' 'stereo' '-b:1' '258k' '-f' 'matroska' '-avoid_negative_ts' 'disabled' '-map_metadata' '-1' '-' '-start_at_zero' '-copyts' '-y' '-nostats' '-loglevel' 'quiet' '-loglevel_plex' 'error' '-progressurl' 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/video/:/transcode/session/3g2tn2irlh4zpvi/progress'

Had this docker working without a problem for some time. Remote access worked a treat. Since updating earlier today to the new container, remote access hasn't worked (confirmed by friends outside my network), and on restart the remote access tab will not connect. Server's connection hasn't changed - only change was the update to the Plex container.

Thanks!

Edited to add: Restarted a few more times and the remote access connects. Friends can see contents of my server, browse, etc. But nothing plays outside the network. I added a /transcode path in case that had anything to do with it, but didn't seem to help.

Having the same issue.  I can post the plex log, but I believe this is where things are going wrong.

Sep 24, 2015 22:31:54 [0x2ba506401700] DEBUG - Starting a transcode session 3g2tn2irlh4zpvi at offset -1.0 (stopped=1)
Sep 24, 2015 22:31:54 [0x2ba506401700] WARN - WARNING: Couldn't create directory /transcode/plex-transcode-3g2tn2irlh4zpvi-129a71fa-dbd9-4b49-b729-af719709f128
Sep 24, 2015 22:31:54 [0x2ba506401700] DEBUG - [universal] Using local file path instead of URL: /media/TV/Scandal (2012)/Season 5/Scandal.(2012).S05E01.Heavy Is the Head.HDTV-720p.mkv
Sep 24, 2015 22:31:54 [0x2ba506401700] DEBUG - Job running: XDG_CACHE_HOME='/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/' XDG_DATA_HOME='/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/' '/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plex New Transcoder' '-noaccurate_seek' '-i' '/media/TV/Scandal (2012)/Season 5/Scandal.(2012).S05E01.Heavy Is the Head.HDTV-720p.mkv' '-map' '0:0' '-codec:0' 'copy' '-bsf:0' 'h264_mp4toannexb,h264_plex' '-map' '0:1' '-codec:1' 'aac' '-strict:1' 'experimental' '-cutoff:1' '15000' '-channel_layout:1' 'stereo' '-b:1' '258k' '-f' 'matroska' '-avoid_negative_ts' 'disabled' '-map_metadata' '-1' '-' '-start_at_zero' '-copyts' '-y' '-nostats' '-loglevel' 'quiet' '-loglevel_plex' 'error' '-progressurl' 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/video/:/transcode/session/3g2tn2irlh4zpvi/progress'

Thanks for this, would jump on to our IRC Channel to help out with debugging this ?

Thanks!

Thanks for this, would jump on to our IRC Channel to help out with debugging this ?

Just wanted to report that the update from last night has resolved the transcoding issue.  Playback is working properly now.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Just wanted to report that the update from last night has resolved the transcoding issue.  Playback is working properly now.

Thanks!

Nothing has changed for me. Upgraded and did a restart (just to be sure), and it's the same problem. Nothing plays when you're external to my network. I'll post a log when I can get out of meetings.

• 5 weeks later...

VERSION="plexpass" is not working for me.  I have let it sit for about 10 minutes and it never downloads.

-----------------------------------
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

Useing version: 0.9.12.16.1509-8e31408 from Plexpass latest
Upgradeing from version: 0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca to version: 0.9.12.16.1509-8e31408

VERSION="plexpass" is not working for me.  I have let it sit for about 10 minutes and it never downloads.

GID/UID

Upgradeing from version: 0.9.12.13.1464-4ccd2ca to version: 0.9.12.16.1509-8e31408

Im sorry to hear that, have you tried restarting the thing. (By design it retrys Downloading untill sucess, something we should probably inform about)

GID/UID

Im sorry to hear that, have you tried restarting the thing. (By design it retrys Downloading untill sucess, something we should probably inform about)

Several times. I even deleted and rebuilt the container.

Is there a way to manually update the container since its not able to download the new version for some reason?

In addition to my cache drive that Plex uses to stores it's data. I have a second drive that is mounted outside the array that I'd like to store a few albums on so Plex can access them.

I've assigned a volume map in the GUI and it creates the proper folders as expected. However Plex can't access the folders.

Inside the docker I can see the folder and it appears empty. On the physical drive it shows the folder with the files in it.

It's possibly a permissions issue. When examining a volume mapped folder on my cache drive (within the Plex docker) they are owned by abc:users. The folders mapped on my second drive are all root:root. This is after mapping folders through the GUI, they didn't exist on the drive beforehand.

On both the physical cache drive and secondary drive the owner is nobody:users.

Any ideas on why it creates proper mappings on my cache drive but not a secondary drive?

I have plex media server set up and everything is working nicely. However, when I visit the webgui, it forces me to log in to my plex account. This is fine because I have a plex account and all is good, but other people that use the server at home do not have a plex account (and my account does not allow for sharing).

Is there a way to disable the log in so that 1) I can log in and access my content using my account, and 2) does not force a login for those that want to watch media without an account?

I have plex media server set up and everything is working nicely. However, when I visit the webgui, it forces me to log in to my plex account. This is fine because I have a plex account and all is good, but other people that use the server at home do not have a plex account (and my account does not allow for sharing).

Is there a way to disable the log in so that 1) I can log in and access my content using my account, and 2) does not force a login for those that want to watch media without an account?

You may have better luck asking this on the Plex forum, but I'm guessing you have enabled Plex Home?  Once you do that, all users have to authenticate:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203948786

If you disable Plex Home you should be able to use the "list of networks that are allowed without auth" setting to avoid having to login from your local network:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200430283

but I don't have much experience with that.

You can try adding this to your preferences.xml:

disableRemoteSecurity="1"

• 2 weeks later...

hey, i'm new to plex on unRAID, so first up, thx. alot for peoples time to bring it to unRAID and supporting it. i appreciate that alot, 'cause i know how much work (time) is involved.  :D

just installed it and got it running, albeit not tested every feature. basically it has my library (before on Mac), all paths corrected to new unRAID location and a first test (using PHT on Mac) to check that it streams (locally). that works.

now, i'm curious, how the update feature (Plex Pass member) should work, or better said, how i should expect it to work. alle settings are correct, it searches for PP-releases) and says it's up-to-date - currently 0.9.14.1. on plex.tv's website the latest is one increment higher (as of today 0.9.14.2.1547-60c867f; released 17th of nov.).

my understanding was/is, that linuxserver.io implementation of the plex-server allows for direct updating, without any work on the maintainers site. is this correct? or does the maintainer-team need to update urls (or anything behind the scenes) to allow it to see it a new release?

and (solely my personal interest) on which platform is this plex-server container based on (in comparison to plex.tv offered downloads)? is it one of the linux distros like ubuntu, or uses it the special unRAID built?

greets,

Blacky

hey, i'm new to plex on unRAID, so first up, thx. alot for peoples time to bring it to unRAID and supporting it. i appreciate that alot, 'cause i know how much work (time) is involved.  :D

just installed it and got it running, albeit not tested every feature. basically it has my library (before on Mac), all paths corrected to new unRAID location and a first test (using PHT on Mac) to check that it streams (locally). that works.

now, i'm curious, how the update feature (Plex Pass member) should work, or better said, how i should expect it to work. alle settings are correct, it searches for PP-releases) and says it's up-to-date - currently 0.9.14.1. on plex.tv's website the latest is one increment higher (as of today 0.9.14.2.1547-60c867f; released 17th of nov.).

my understanding was/is, that linuxserver.io implementation of the plex-server allows for direct updating, without any work on the maintainers site. is this correct? or does the maintainer-team need to update urls (or anything behind the scenes) to allow it to see it a new release?

and (solely my personal interest) on which platform is this plex-server container based on (in comparison to plex.tv offered downloads)? is it one of the linux distros like ubuntu, or uses it the special unRAID built?

greets,

Blacky

The Plex container from Linuxserver.io will be updated automatically if you restart the container. You will be notified in the Plex WEB Gui when an update is available. However, 0.9.14.x is a pre-release that isn’t notified since it is considered too early for everybody to use.

thx. Leifgg.

another technical question to docker functionality: per web gui there isn't (or at least doesn't sound so) a safe way, too shutdown a container smoothly (or using it's OS provided shutdown procedure). how is it done internally, when i hit to button restart (for a container)?

i don't want to get a damaged database, file structure, because i restarted that container and not, like i would do it on a physical box, using it's normal reboot function, which would bring down all programs smmothly, giving all processes time to save it's contents, etc.

Good question! The container itself will be reloaded from scratch again so there are no worries about that since it is basically static, nothing should get stored inside it. Regarding any data stored outside the container (the appdata share) I honestly don’t know but at least I have never had any corruption there either.