[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I recently changed from Limetech's Plex Docker to this one and have found it to be REALLY sluggish compared to the Limetech one.  For instance, it takes 15-20 seconds to display the show after clicking on it.  Any idea as to why that is or how I can troubleshoot it?  My unRAID box has plenty of horsepower so it's not hardware.

Thanks!

Hi, I've tried pretty much all the versions of Plex for Unraid and can't say I've noticed any difference between them and we've not had any other reports of such behaviour either here or eleswhere like IRC or our forums. 

Can we get a bit more info on your setup like where your appdata is stored (HDD/SSD, Cache or Other disk) 

Did you do a fresh install (including appdata) of our container or did you migrate from LT's? 

My first guess is that it was still pulling metadata and stuff and that this behaviour will settle down.

Perhaps check the Plex logs for clues and turn on debugging...

Hi, I've tried pretty much all the versions of Plex for Unraid and can't say I've noticed any difference between them and we've not had any other reports of such behaviour either here or eleswhere like IRC or our forums. 

Can we get a bit more info on your setup like where your appdata is stored (HDD/SSD, Cache or Other disk) 

Did you do a fresh install (including appdata) of our container or did you migrate from LT's? 

My first guess is that it was still pulling metadata and stuff and that this behaviour will settle down.

Perhaps check the Plex logs for clues and turn on debugging...

Thanks for the reply.  Since I posted this I decided to try putting the library on the Cache drive to see if that improves it.  Also, I've deleted all of the old plex instances from the appdata from when I've experimented with it in the past -- so this will be a for sure clean install.  I'll report back on how it works.

Thanks for the reply.  Since I posted this I decided to try putting the library on the Cache drive to see if that improves it.  Also, I've deleted all of the old plex instances from the appdata from when I've experimented with it in the past -- so this will be a for sure clean install.  I'll report back on how it works.

Plex generate a SHED-ton of metadata and I mean a big SHED-ton of metadata, lots and lots of small files, I wouldn't be surprised if trying to store appdata on your parity protected array would be the cause of your problems tbh.

I have plex running right now and while I am at home I can go to my unRaid IP address:32400/web and browse the Plex server with either my Windows Laptop or my android phone.

Now on my network my router has openVPN setup.  I know everything is working, because when I am not on my home network I can use the OpenVPN client(on either my laptop or phone) to get on my home network and access the unRaid webGUI.

However, when I try to do the same as before for connecting to Plex (unRaid IP address:32400/web) the Plex server comes up but asks me to login?  I am confused why this is happening.  Since I am on a vpn and have an IP that is on my home network, shouldn't this work exactly the way if I was sitting in my house?

I have plex running right now and while I am at home I can go to my unRaid IP address:32400/web and browse the Plex server with either my Windows Laptop or my android phone.

Now on my network my router has openVPN setup.  I know everything is working, because when I am not on my home network I can use the OpenVPN client(on either my laptop or phone) to get on my home network and access the unRaid webGUI.

However, when I try to do the same as before for connecting to Plex (unRaid IP address:32400/web) the Plex server comes up but asks me to login?  I am confused why this is happening.  Since I am on a vpn and have an IP that is on my home network, shouldn't this work exactly the way if I was sitting in my house?

I don't know, but I'm not sure this is a docker problem per se.... but rather how OpenVPN interacts with Plex.

I just updated to your latest version of Plex and now it seems that Plex gets stucks trying to update to the latest version. I have plexpass in the version line.

Log from unRAID

Using version: from Plexpass latest
Upgrading from version: 0.9.14.6.1620-e0b7243 to version: 

Log from Docker

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2016-01-19 07:47:32 ERROR 404: Not Found.

--2016-01-19 07:47:32--  https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server//plexmediaserver__amd64.deb
Resolving downloads.plex.tv (downloads.plex.tv)... IP_ADDRESS, IP_ADDRESS
Connecting to downloads.plex.tv (downloads.plex.tv)|IP-ADDRESS|:PORT... connected.

I can ping downloads.plex.tv from my unRAID box... Any ideas why it cannot download the latest version?

EDIT: If I hardcode the version 0.9.15.1.1639-26325ea into the docker it downloads just fine. Did the version: plexpass change?

I just updated to your latest version of Plex and now it seems that Plex gets stucks trying to update to the latest version. I have plexpass in the version line.

Log from unRAID

Using version: from Plexpass latest
Upgrading from version: 0.9.14.6.1620-e0b7243 to version: 

Log from Docker

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2016-01-19 07:47:32 ERROR 404: Not Found.

--2016-01-19 07:47:32--  https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server//plexmediaserver__amd64.deb
Resolving downloads.plex.tv (downloads.plex.tv)... IP_ADDRESS, IP_ADDRESS
Connecting to downloads.plex.tv (downloads.plex.tv)|IP-ADDRESS|:PORT... connected.

I can ping downloads.plex.tv from my unRAID box... Any ideas why it cannot download the latest version?

EDIT: If I hardcode the version 0.9.15.1.1639-26325ea into the docker it downloads just fine. Did the version: plexpass change?

Try setting the version again, it looked like it was missing. (screenshot the setting)

Try setting the version again, it looked like it was missing. (screenshot the setting)

Changed it back to plexpass but no change, still will not download.

EDIT: I removed the docker and container and then re-added the docker. No change, both plexpass or latest in version refuses to download the correct plex version. For some reason the version isn't getting translated correctly.

Capture.PNG.a937ad3009ccc14fb2fbd9650c350c3b.PNG

EDIT: I removed the docker and container and then re-added the docker. No change, both plexpass or latest in version refuses to download the correct plex version. For some reason the version isn't getting translated correctly.

archedraft, we're looking into it...

archedraft, just fired up a VM and pulled the plexpass version no problems......

We can't reproduce this on our machines..

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following packages will be REMOVED:
plexmediaserver*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 305 MB disk space will be freed.
(Reading database ... 17671 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing plexmediaserver (0.9.14.6.1620-e0b7243) ...
Purging configuration files for plexmediaserver (0.9.14.6.1620-e0b7243) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree 
Reading state information... Done
Building data structures... Done 
Selecting previously unselected package plexmediaserver.
(Reading database ... 14075 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_0.9.15.1.1639-26325ea_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking plexmediaserver (0.9.15.1.1639-26325ea) ...
Setting up plexmediaserver (0.9.15.1.1639-26325ea) ...
OK
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1.1) ...
Building data structures... Done 
‘/defaults/plexmediaserver’ -> ‘/etc/default/plexmediaserver’
Starting Plex Media Server.
Starting dbus-daemon
Starting Avahi daemon
6 3000 /config/Library/Application Support
unlimited
Jan 19 20:58:40 Matrix syslog-ng[131]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'

Got my plex to work with my vpn.

I indeed needed to add a network to the advanced settings of plex that does not require authentication.  My vpn was giving me a different subnet than my actual internal network.

So internal network is AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD

VPN was giving AAA.BBB.EEE.FFF

Added AAA.BBB.EEE.FFF to plex and it works great!

Is there any sort of guide on how to specifically migrate from Phaze's Plex plugin to this docker? https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41562.0 said this docker is easy to migrate to from plugins, so I know that for permissions, it shouldn't be a problem. My concern is handling the mapping of the media folders and ensuring Plex doesn't wipe my library database during the switch.

Is there any sort of guide on how to specifically migrate from Phaze's Plex plugin to this docker? https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41562.0 said this docker is easy to migrate to from plugins, so I know that for permissions, it shouldn't be a problem. My concern is handling the mapping of the media folders and ensuring Plex doesn't wipe my library database during the switch.

Do you understand docker volume mapping?

It's easy as far as file & folder ownership goes.  But like trurl says folder mappings will be the issue.  If it were me, I'd sync my library with trakt and start from scratch.

Yes, but I am coming from a plugin, not a docker, so if I keep my plex config, then it will be working with a different folder structure.

It's easy as far as file & folder ownership goes.  But like trurl says folder mappings will be the issue.  If it were me, I'd sync my library with trakt and start from scratch.

I have lots of users on my setup, so I'd like to avoid that.

Yes, but I am coming from a plugin, not a docker, so if I keep my plex config, then it will be working with a different folder structure.

The plex library folder structure should be exactly the same, and your media folder structure is exactly the same, so with volume mapping you should be able to make the docker use the same folders the plugin was using. Post a screenshot of your plugin setup if you still need help with volume mapping.

Quite noob, having some trouble.

Ripped new title, and PLEX didn't seem to pick it up.

Tried restarting PLEX; didn't fix. Tried rebooting unRAID machine; didn't fix.

I'd noticed I've been getting notices, about an update to Community Applications was available; thought I'd try that. Update seemed to fail. Uninstalled, reinstalled; seem to be on latest version and working.

Now...neither my PC, nor FireTV can find PLEX.

Just upgraded to 6, and started using PLEX; so I have a LOT to learn. Yikes. Help? Thanks

I'd noticed I've been getting notices, about an update to Community Applications was available; thought I'd try that. Update seemed to fail. Uninstalled, reinstalled; seem to be on latest version and working.

Just upgraded to 6, and started using PLEX; so I have a LOT to learn. Yikes. Help? Thanks

Random acts of troubleshooting. ;D

Are you sure the rip was a format supported by Plex?

Looking at your recent post history you did manage to work through getting plex to work at least. Maybe you should go back and review.

Looking at your recent post history you did manage to work through getting plex to work at least. Maybe you should go back and review.

Yeah; PLEX was working fine. And no...I wasn't sure about the rip; that's why I was going to "test", by looking for it and playing it (I mean, it's m2ts, like most of my rips...and they're supported by PLEX, and again...were working fine; but it seems too small, like something didn't go right, with the rip).

But that aside...why can't I find PLEX now?

Yeah; PLEX was working fine. And no...I wasn't sure about the rip; that's why I was going to "test", by looking for it and playing it (I mean, it's m2ts, like most of my rips...and they're supported by PLEX, and again...were working fine; but it seems too small, like something didn't go right, with the rip).

OK; I've confirmed, it was a bad rip. But that shouldn't knock down PLEX...and I still can't access it.

I think it has to do, with my Community Applications plug-in mishap.

I can't get any help; what...because I'm kinda clueless??

EDIT- OK; I just had another issue, which makes me thing...the issue may be router related. Full custom reboot, and I'll report back.

OK; I've confirmed, it was a bad rip. But that shouldn't knock down PLEX...and I still can't access it.

I think it has to do, with my Community Applications plug-in mishap.

I can't get any help; what...because I'm kinda clueless??

EDIT- OK; I just had another issue, which makes me thing...the issue may be router related. Full custom reboot, and I'll report back.

OK...EVERYTHING rebooted; machines, server, router, etc. Still can't ping, :32400.

Sorry...where should I be looking; for why it's blocked all of a sudden?

Anything, look out of order here?

plex99_zpszbwwk0td.png

WHen the Plex container first starts it can take some time to actually start working depending on Plex updates and permission changes.

What does the Docker log for plex say?

ur1_zpsivqxhr3m.png

???

I think this is a blocked port issue; I can't hit unserver:32400...so my machine, not the FireTV can find the PLEX server.

The question is...at least for this noob; is why? Why...all of a sudden??