[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Hi Lonix,

I feel I should clarify this, Plex removed the ability to set the transcoding temp directory via environment variable, not the ability altogether. Users can still change the advanced Transcoder temporary directory preference via Plex Web.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250347-Transcoder

That link is old and might not reflect current status. I know it's old because the second screenshot shows "Allow higher bitrate over 3G". This option was removed from recent plex server versions as it is considered obsolete now.

The age of the link may or may not validate your position, but I think something more recent must be found / communicated before we take it as fact.

It's now updated :)https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250347-Transcoder

Just loaded up the linuxserver.io plex container..

it loaded in all my tvshows correctly, but for movies.. it added them but nothing is showing up in plex under the movies category unless i change the view from "All" to "Recently Added" or "By Folder".

Has anyone com across this?

Just loaded up the linuxserver.io plex container..

it loaded in all my tvshows correctly, but for movies.. it added them but nothing is showing up in plex under the movies category unless i change the view from "All" to "Recently Added" or "By Folder".

Has anyone com across this?

Nope, you should try to ask at the plex forum. You will probably get better support on your problem there.

well i never had that issue when it was on my previous server, so it has to be something introduced by linuxserver.io's builds or by docker.

It's not "our" build it's Plex's build in "our" container.

Please tell me how you've arrived at the conclusion it's not a Plex bug....

Fwiw I also agree that it's probably better enquired at the Plex forum.

Docker "contains" the app.  This sounds like an app problem not a container problem.....

version=plexpass no valid anymore?

I had to change to version=latest to get plex to come back up after a restart this am

Myk

Correct.  To to Linuxservers website for details on why this change had to be made

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hi, I removed the VERSION=plexpass and the /transcode I had previously.  I'm a PLEXPASS for Life but now, even if it says there is a new PLEX server available, it never update if I restart the docker.  Did I miss something ?

Also, the changes said it should ask me to login to PLEX when i'll install the new image and "detect" if I'm a PlexPass customer or not and if so, update automatically...  this doesn't work for me.  It never ask to "login", nor install the latest version.

I'll try using VERSION=latest, maybe that was also required (?)

** EDIT **

Looks like I needed VERSION=latest.

Stupid, but easy questions with a few comments in case someone else is trying to do same thing.  If someone has the time and is willing to answer..

I switched from limetech today, following these instructions

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41609.msg394769#msg394769

FYI, i thought it wasn't working, because webui wouldnt load, but after a few minutes it worked - so wait before you give up.

My version is Version 0.9.16.6 - this is the latest plexpass version, correct?

I had to rename the container to PlexMediaServer instead of plex, or at least i believe i had to to get it to work.  Is that normal?

Also it took me a while to find that i had to click advanced view to change the version to plexpass.  From what i can tell that is how it should be set to "plexpass"?

Even though i removed all the containers and images via the docker page on unraid, it consistently says that about 10 already existed on the pull.  Is that normal?

Is there a way to prompt plex to fix the unmatched movies and tv shows.  When i used to run plex on windows, mapped to my unraid server i had many more matches.  I go through them one a time and a lot of them just need a refresh.

If i delete older folders of movies, because i have a better version or change a folder name, will plex handle this gracefully?  I want to go through and change a bunch of them that are in the wrong folder.

Thanks for any and all answers, pardon my lack of knowledge (should i be asking these last in the plex forums instead?)

Ok, i thought you meant when you see the update is available from within plex, but not on the docker, in that case i believe restart will update your version. When you have an update available via the docker itself seems to happen a lot less, but i just switched to linuxserver from limetech, so i don't know if its more often.  Also pretty new myself to this.  Enjoy your plex.

figured I would check to see if this was normal or I have something on I shouldn't or something, I get these warning every boot up:

avahi-daemon 0.6.31 starting up.
6 3000 /config/Library/Application Support

d
dbus[52]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

socket() failed: Address family not supported by protocol

Failed to create IPv6 socket, proceeding in IPv4 only mode

socket() failed: Address family not supported by protocol

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
New relevant i

Plex Setup with a Public Static Ip Address

I recently did some server cleaning and decided to start my Docker from scratch. My Plex install had been working fine for years with out any issues. Recently I added Static Ip addresses to my ISP account and my unRaid server is on one of said Static IP's. Even when I switched my array from a LAN IP to a WAN IP, Plex continued to work flawlessly. Locally and Remotely. However, once I deleted my install and reinstalled it, the Plex web GUI no longer sees my Plex server. I can successfully log on to "http://url.com:32400/web" and log into my plexpass account. I can also see other friends Plex Servers. Just not mine.

I am assuming that remote access is not enabled and because of my public static IP my server is basically "remote" 100% of the time.

If I stop the Docker container, I can no longer access the web GUI, so that part is working.

Also all the correct ports are forwarded.

Thanks for any help!

I recently did some server cleaning and decided to start my Docker from scratch. My Plex install had been working fine for years with out any issues. Recently I added Static Ip addresses to my ISP account and my unRaid server is on one of said Static IP's. Even when I switched my array from a LAN IP to a WAN IP, Plex continued to work flawlessly. Locally and Remotely. However, once I deleted my install and reinstalled it, the Plex web GUI no longer sees my Plex server. I can successfully log on to "http://url.com:32400/web" and log into my plexpass account. I can also see other friends Plex Servers. Just not mine.

I am assuming that remote access is not enabled and because of my public static IP my server is basically "remote" 100% of the time.

If I stop the Docker container, I can no longer access the web GUI, so that part is working.

Thanks for any help!

I hope you don't mean your unraid server is available directly on the internet?  There are lots of threads here talking about how that is a bad idea.

Regarding Plex specifically, for initial setup Plex requires that you access the Plex server using:

http://ipaddress:32400/web

from a computer that is on the same subnet as the Plex server.  Once the server has been setup you should be able to manage it from any ip address.  Also see:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204604227-Why-can-t-the-Plex-app-find-or-connect-to-my-Plex-Media-Server-

Thanks for any help!

I hope you don't mean your unraid server is available directly on the internet?  There are lots of threads here talking about how that is a bad idea.

Regarding Plex specifically, for initial setup Plex requires that you access the Plex server using:

from a computer that is on the same subnet as the Plex server.  Once the server has been setup you should be able to manage it from any ip address.  Also see:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204604227-Why-can-t-the-Plex-app-find-or-connect-to-my-Plex-Media-Server-

Thanks for the quick reply. They were always on the same subnet. My router groups my DHCP and Static IP's on the same subnet. But that didn't help.

I was always able to hit the GUI but I was never able to see the Server settings page. I went and temporarily changed this unRaid box over to a DHCP IP and then was able to enable "Remote Access" on the Plex side. I then moved back over to one of my static IP's and can still edit my server via LAN and WAN.

Your suggestion made my brain think outside the box for a work around. Thanks again!

I also appreciate the security concern. This box is firewalled/proxied/and has VPN. There is nothing tied to me personally anyway on my Plex box.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the quick reply. They were always on the same subnet. My router groups my DHCP and Static IP's on the same subnet. But that didn't help.

I was always able to hit the GUI but I was never able to see the Server settings page. I went and temporarily changed this unRaid box over to a DHCP IP and then was able to enable "Remote Access" on the Plex side. I then moved back over to one of my static IP's and can still edit my server via LAN and WAN.

Your suggestion made my brain think outside the box for a work around. Thanks again!

I also appreciate the security concern. This box is firewalled/proxied/and has VPN. There is nothing tied to me personally anyway on my Plex box.

Very cool, glad you were able to get it working

anyone know how to get a channel that requires node.js working? Ionix on github mentioned to someone that you can use advanced_user_script to do this but i'm not sure how to go about it. any ideas?

I've spoken to lonix about this.  Essentially:

• Add a variable called ADVANCED_SCRIPT = true
  • Create a file called userscript.sh in config
  • Use that file to install whatever you want,for example, sudo apt-get install nodejs

DISCLAIMER: This is an unsupported feature and we won't be supporting the container in any way if you choose to use this option.  If you have problems, you're on your own.  Including problems that you may think are nothing to do with the ADVANCED_SCRIPT.

sudo apt-get install in my usefile.sh didn't work, i might need to run apt-get upgrade or add the repos, but honestly i dont want to break everything else that works perfect just for this. is everything in the docker contained within itself? if i do this, the dependencies should not break anything outside of the plex docker right?

i'm almost tempted to run another instance of plex in a vm or on another machine and just share the channel (apparently this is a thing now) so as to not mess up anything, and if i do i can just wipe the vm and start over.