[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

On my old setup before unRAID, I used to create a symbolic link from my small SSD to a larger HDD for /Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/Sync+ which is where cloud/device sync files are stored temporarily .

How do I do the same with unRAID i.e. point /mnt/user/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/Sync+ to /mnt/user/transcode which is setup to use the cache, but NOT only the cache so that if there are more files than my cache can upload in a day then the mover will move them to the array. 

This will ensure files get created fast, but if there's more than my connection can keep up with then they are moved to the array.

Thanks in advance.

If your cache gets full, files meant for a cached user share are written directly to the array instead of cache. Mover only moves on schedule not when cache gets full.

Why bother with a symlink when you can just set a mapping for transcode?

Adding another share for background sync tasks will ensure that my cache drive never gets full i.e.:

- if it's syncing one show then leave on the cache

- if I'm syncing a whole library to cloud sync, then rather than leave xxxGB of files on a cache drive let the mover move to the array overnight

The mapping for the transcode in the plex settings only works for temporary transcodes e.g. a film that is being viewed that is being transcoded.  It doesn't apply to background transcodes, so on windows I did a symbolic link but don't know how to do with linux/unRAID

ok got it (google thanks!):

ln –s /mnt/transcode /mnt/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode/Sync+

Update: That didn't work, but I think I managed to get it to work using mc to create the symlink - will see if the files move off my cache tonight

Upon update of container, I get this message.  I can't see the problem.

My port mappings are blank like that for Plex.... maybe something to do with the network set to Host. Why not take a look in the Plex Docker log to see what's up?

Well I let it run for 33 minutes and I just get the below.  Seems its still trying to update.  Bed time for me.  I'll check in the AM.  Any other advice, please share!

Log_for__plex1.png.bef8982e3225098206e82250fceec036.png

Makes perfect sense.

I believe I have the proper format now though I still can't get it to launch the right version. At least now I can focus troubleshooting other issues.  Thanks

What is the proper format setup? I can not find info for it anywhere.

To be clear, just the format its self is needed.

been wanting to try the dvr features so i uninstalled unraid's official and gave this one a shot.

everything seems to install fine, but when going to web interface, it will not see itself as a server. my friends servers are there, my cloud sync is there, but no local server. i've removed the docker and reinstalled, changed the appdata dir, deleted the docker .img file and recreated, retried the whole shebang from scratch and nada. every time, same story, no local server.

I'm at work so can't check the box right now, however, I have no cache drive installed. Would that file be some other place?

Wherever your appdata is stored.

Ah, gotcha. Any other thoughts I might try when I get home? As I mentioned, I deleted the appdata dir (no biggie, my server isn't terribly populated at the moment) and recreated from scratch. Also, tried removing the docker and recreating with a capital Plex, so it wouldn't touch anything in the previously failed dir.

I'm at work so can't check the box right now, however, I have no cache drive installed. Would that file be some other place?

Ah, gotcha. Any other thoughts I might try when I get home? As I mentioned, I deleted the appdata dir (no biggie, my server isn't terribly populated at the moment) and recreated from scratch. Also, tried removing the docker and recreating with a capital Plex, so it wouldn't touch anything in the previously failed dir.

No, I've already told you my thoughts...

Try that first, then if that doesn't work, we can think again, but I don't have any other ideas tbh.

Having said that, a screenshot of the docker setup might be helpful just to make sure you've got it configured appropriately.

I had similar issues a few months ago with finding a local server. It was when I was messing about with different plug in and docker containers, testing the initial setup, then recreating the server in a different docker. Not sure what the cause was, but it seemed to sort itself out. My impression was that plex doesn't like recreating the same server with same name, owner and ip address. It's like it gets confused. I think internally it has a unique id and when there's two instances of the server with same name and ip address but different unique id it just fails to find it.

At times I could find it over wan, but not over lan. Also some pc's found it, eg hard wired into same router, whilst Wi-Fi didn't. It was very strange. It just fixed itself without any intervention from me. I did the management from the interfaces that could see it ie wan or the hard wired PC. Now it's behaved for ages. I assumed that plex forgets servers it hasn't seen for a while and thus sorted out its internal confusion. I'm just guessing. There are plex logs to be looked through, but they didn't add anything to help me at the time. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

been wanting to try the dvr features so i uninstalled unraid's official and gave this one a shot.

everything seems to install fine, but when going to web interface, it will not see itself as a server. my friends servers are there, my cloud sync is there, but no local server. i've removed the docker and reinstalled, changed the appdata dir, deleted the docker .img file and recreated, retried the whole shebang from scratch and nada. every time, same story, no local server.

I just had the same issue after I upgraded regular Plex to Plex Pass.  I went into the web GUI and had to sign in, and it didn't find my local server.  I logged out and back in without doing anything else, and it showed up.  Not sure if you tried doing just that without anything else, but it might be worth a shot.

No, I've already told you my thoughts...

Try that first, then if that doesn't work, we can think again, but I don't have any other ideas tbh.

Having said that, a screenshot of the docker setup might be helpful just to make sure you've got it configured appropriately.

Didn't work. Still unavailable.

I just had the same issue after I upgraded regular Plex to Plex Pass.  I went into the web GUI and had to sign in, and it didn't find my local server.  I logged out and back in without doing anything else, and it showed up.  Not sure if you tried doing just that without anything else, but it might be worth a shot.

I've tried logging out, removing the docker, deleting the dir from appdata, reinstalling/logging back in, etc. Just about every combination I can think of in order for plex to think it's "fresh".

I had similar issues a few months ago with finding a local server. It was when I was messing about with different plug in and docker containers, testing the initial setup, then recreating the server in a different docker. Not sure what the cause was, but it seemed to sort itself out. My impression was that plex doesn't like recreating the same server with same name, owner and ip address. It's like it gets confused. I think internally it has a unique id and when there's two instances of the server with same name and ip address but different unique id it just fails to find it.

At times I could find it over wan, but not over lan. Also some pc's found it, eg hard wired into same router, whilst Wi-Fi didn't. It was very strange. It just fixed itself without any intervention from me. I did the management from the interfaces that could see it ie wan or the hard wired PC. Now it's behaved for ages. I assumed that plex forgets servers it hasn't seen for a while and thus sorted out its internal confusion. I'm just guessing. There are plex logs to be looked through, but they didn't add anything to help me at the time. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd. Maybe I just have to play the waiting game on this one? Hmph.

The version string is in thre, i just blurred it out.

dockersetup_1.png.aa126d6c1c55e3f2ee1c271f0300516e.png

edit - update - i have attached plex log.

I think i broke my plex media server.  I signed out of it from the web gui when i was troubleshooting why it wasn't been seen by the rest of the world.(pretty sure that the port forwarding thing is fixed now though).  Now i have no server tab in the web gui, and it says something about not having a plex token in the log file.  I tried updating the server and restarting it, but that didn't seem to help, is there a way to reinstall the server without losing everything?  Sorry i don't have log file as i am away from the computer or a while.  I can see one friends library that shared with me and that is it.  I will post the log file when i can get back to the machine.

Should i delete the old server and reinstall? I have a pretty big library and it will be a while , long while, before its all back up to date.

log.txt

I'm having a weird issue where my Plex is not able to communicate outside my network and I am unable to claim the server. I get the following warnings in my logs:

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

socket() failed: Address family not supported by protocol

Failed to create IPv6 socket, proceeding in IPv4 only mode

Plex is running as a host and is using public port 32400.

It was running perfectly fine until a recent update. Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm having a weird issue where my Plex is not able to communicate outside my network and I am unable to claim the server. I get the following warnings in my logs:

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

It was running perfectly fine until a recent update. Any help would be much appreciated!

Don't know what the issue is, but that error message is harmless and I see it on my install and if you look at the log the poster above you attached it's also there too.  Try stopping the container, deleteing Preferences.xml and restarting the container.

edit - update - i have attached plex log.

I think i broke my plex media server.  I signed out of it from the web gui when i was troubleshooting why it wasn't been seen by the rest of the world.(pretty sure that the port forwarding thing is fixed now though).  Now i have no server tab in the web gui, and it says something about not having a plex token in the log file.  I tried updating the server and restarting it, but that didn't seem to help, is there a way to reinstall the server without losing everything?  Sorry i don't have log file as i am away from the computer or a while.  I can see one friends library that shared with me and that is it.  I will post the log file when i can get back to the machine.

Should i delete the old server and reinstall? I have a pretty big library and it will be a while , long while, before its all back up to date.

Same advice to you as the poster above

Don't know what the issue is, but that error message is harmless and I see it on my install and if you look at the log the poster above you attached it's also there too.  Try stopping the container, deleteing Preferences.xml and restarting the container.

Going through this thread I found users who were having a similar issue and have already tried deleting preferences.xml; Plex is unable to attain a private IP.