[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

How does this container relate to the official Plex Docker container going forwards?

Starting from a fresh unRAID install, should I pick this or the official Plex image?

Choose the one you feel fits most for you.

Plex based their container on ours, but they are still two completely separated containers.

For every day use, you shouldn't see any difference with any of the two.

How does this container relate to the official Plex Docker container going forwards?

Starting from a fresh unRAID install, should I pick this or the official Plex image?

Plex based their container on ours, but they are still to completely separated containers.

I think the better question to ask is who will support you better, and who will stay current better. I honestly don't know the answer, as I've never dealt with plex official support, if there is such a beast.

(disclaimer, I don't use plex, I use emby)

system set up - Qnap TVS-471, up to date 4.3.2, then inside container station ive been trying to install plex media server a few ways with out luck:

1-linuxserver/plex installed, and i tried these settings, network NAT, and mounted the movies folder in the advanced settings, ie /movies:/movies, when i click the link to browse to the NAT Ip for PLex server, the web app cant find the server to start the settings.

2 - if I change the settings from NAT to either HOST or BRIDGE, i can get to see the server, but then come across the issue or settings cannot be saved issue.

anyone as came across these issues?, if not maybe send me a quick install directions if im missing something.

Thank you.

system set up - Qnap TVS-471, up to date 4.3.2, then inside container station ive been trying to install plex media server a few ways with out luck:

1-linuxserver/plex installed, and i tried these settings, network NAT, and mounted the movies folder in the advanced settings, ie /movies:/movies, when i click the link to browse to the NAT Ip for PLex server, the web app cant find the server to start the settings.

2 - if I change the settings from NAT to either HOST or BRIDGE, i can get to see the server, but then come across the issue or settings cannot be saved issue.

anyone as came across these issues?, if not maybe send me a quick install directions if im missing something.

Thank you.

From the first post in this thread:

If you are not using Unraid (and you should be!) then please do not post here, rather use the linuxserver.io forum for support.

Plex based their container on ours, but they are still to completely separated containers.

I think the better question to ask is who will support you better, and who will stay current better. I honestly don't know the answer, as I've never dealt with plex official support, if there is such a beast.

(disclaimer, I don't use plex, I use emby)

Interesting... have been a plex guy, but, researching emby I am intrigued.

Best part of dockers... the ability to try both pain-free...

Good Evening:

I can not browse to my new docker install via ip:32401 (it is a second plex server)

I have host to container ports bridged 32401 to 32400 both TCP and UDP.

The connection is refused when browsing to it from chrome/edge on win10 

Any help would be appreciated.

One is running on AMAHI (I am migrating to unRAID as replacement).  It is running on local server:32400

From my unRAID box:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="plex" --net="host" -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -e "VERSION"="latest" -e "TCP_PORT_32401"="32401" -e "UDP_PORT_32401"="32401" -v "/mnt/user/MOVIES/":"/media/movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/TV/":"/media/tv":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/plex":"/config":rw linuxserver/plex
9ba344fefab8b30d8cc4492e829b513ce2ac74a23d50632440e20b9a8c25ac3b

Also, I have ssh'd into the unRAID box, digging around hopping to find a .conf and see if there was anything commented out that would help...but I am assuming the containerization stores runtime conf differently?  I couldn't find anything written to cache (/appdata), or on boot cfg

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="plex" --net="host" -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -e "VERSION"="latest" -v "/mnt/user/MOVIES/":"/media/movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/TV/":"/media/tv":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/plex":"/config":rw linuxserver/plex
5855f5b199d44f2c612d10267056f254f718dc5f82ea1077b17ea43e3c0eb67e

removed the added ports...

Still can not hit the web guI

EDIT:  I am new to shell and unix commands, so I apologize in advance...

I tried checking if port was open from ssh: and it appears that 32400 is closed on unRAID box.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="plex" --net="host" -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -e "VERSION"="latest" -v "/mnt/user/MOVIES/":"/media/movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/TV/":"/media/tv":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/plex":"/config":rw linuxserver/plex

You are missing the port definition (32400) in the above. When set as host, still port needs to be configured (but can't be remapped).

You are missing the port definition (32400) in the above. When set as host, still port needs to be configured (but can't be remapped).

Just edited my post, port seems closed.  I think I am configuring something incorrectly

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="plex" --net="host" -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -e "VERSION"="latest" -e "TCP_PORT_32400"="32400" -v "/mnt/user/MOVIES/":"/media/movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/TV/":"/media/tv":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/plex":"/config":rw linuxserver/plex
9ccabdca610c647af4625870caa2751dff64125f99ee9054190f9ba6cc9f2408

root@nerdyRAID:~# (echo >/dev/tcp/localhost/32400) &>/dev/null && echo "TCP port 32400 open" || echo "TCP port 32400 clo
se"
TCP port 32400 close

Try a different browser or clear your cache etc.  The port does not need to be defined.  The template as it's published works just fine.  No need to change anything.  For reference here's my docker command.  May be worth shutting down your other Plex instance for testing too.

docker run -d --name="plex" --net="host" -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -e "VERSION"="latest" -v "/mnt/user/movies/":"/movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/tv/":"/tv":rw -v "/mnt/user/music/":"/music":rw -v "/mnt/cache/.appdata/plex":"/config":rw linuxserver/plex

The port does not need to be defined.

I guess I had the port configuration still in it due to historical developments. Removing it confirms your statement above.

Ps. Now I remember why I added in the config... it will show up as port assigned to Plex under "deployed host ports".

Try a different browser or clear your cache etc.  The port does not need to be defined.  The template as it's published works just fine.  No need to change anything.  For reference here's my docker command.  May be worth shutting down your other Plex instance for testing too.

docker run -d --name="plex" --net="host" -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -e "VERSION"="latest" -v "/mnt/user/movies/":"/movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/tv/":"/tv":rw -v "/mnt/user/music/":"/music":rw -v "/mnt/cache/.appdata/plex":"/config":rw linuxserver/plex

1) appreciate all your help

2) tried clearing caches

3) tried stopping amahi instance

still no joy.

From htop I cant see the service started either...

ps aux | less

doesnt find an instance either

1) appreciate all your help

2) tried clearing caches

3) tried stopping amahi instance

still no joy.

From htop I cant see the service started either...

ps aux | less

doesnt find an instance either

Delete your Plex appdata, remove the container and image, start from scratch and post the logs.