[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Questions:

Is it possible to access the PMS device.xml profiles inside of the docker?  These are not stored on /appdata ... so I imagine the resources are inside the container.  Can one ssh into the container?

I want to edit chromecast.xml to add hevc so my ULTRA direct plays, instead of transcodes my 4k media ...you can imagine in PINS my fx8350 and is unwatchable 

Seeing lots of success stories of hardware acceleration on discrete solutions... which is nice.  However, while KVM gpu passthrough is a reality... will docker based passthrough be something tackled in the future?

Questions:

Is it possible to access the PMS device.xml profiles inside of the docker?  These are not stored on /appdata ... so I imagine the resources are inside the container.  Can one ssh into the container?

I want to edit chromecast.xml to add hevc so my ULTRA direct plays, instead of transcodes my 4k media ...you can imagine in PINS my fx8350 and is unwatchable

Seeing lots of success stories of hardware acceleration on discrete solutions... which is nice.  However, while KVM gpu passthrough is a reality... will docker based passthrough be something tackled in the future?

Yes.

docker exec -it naneofcontainer  bash

https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/commandline/exec/

I am trying to figure out a BTRFS error I get while watching a movie via Plex. I have two 250GB SSDs that are mirrored. In the syslog, the trouble seems to start today, Jan 22 @ 13:57:51.

Any ideas?

The drive dropped offline. OS tried to revive it, even drop its link speed, but was unsuccessful.

Likely a bad or loose cable (Sata or power), or something more serious wrong with the drive.

Jan 22 13:57:51 Beall kernel: ata7: hard resetting link

Jan 22 13:58:01 Beall kernel: ata7: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)

Jan 22 13:58:01 Beall kernel: ata7: hard resetting link

Jan 22 13:58:11 Beall kernel: ata7: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)

Jan 22 13:58:11 Beall kernel: ata7: hard resetting link

Jan 22 13:58:46 Beall kernel: ata7: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)

Jan 22 13:58:46 Beall kernel: ata7: limiting SATA link speed to 3.0 Gbps

Jan 22 13:58:46 Beall kernel: ata7: hard resetting link

Jan 22 13:58:51 Beall kernel: ata7: softreset failed (1st FIS failed)

Jan 22 13:58:51 Beall kernel: ata7: reset failed, giving up

Jan 22 13:58:51 Beall kernel: ata7.00: disabled

One of the updates that Plex did related to Transcoding is that the app actually will check available space before starting the Transcoding. This post (post 18 from ChuckPa) is about converting files but Plex might do a similar check during normal playback as well.

http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/244822/conversion-failed-a-required-codec-could-not-be-found-or-failed-to-install-a-bad-update#latest

Could it be from the drive trying to go to sleep mode?

I'm going to guess "No" to that one.

Could it be from the the two SSDs being in RAID 1? Perhaps I'll test and remove one of the SSDs and then try and watch a movie again. Why don't I have these same errors without watching a movie? Seems like they would show up in the System Log somewhere on some other day?

Could it be from the drive trying to go to sleep mode?

I'm going to guess "No" to that one.

Could it be from the the two SSDs being in RAID 1? Perhaps I'll test and remove one of the SSDs and then try and watch a movie again. Why don't I have these same errors without watching a movie? Seems like they would show up in the System Log somewhere on some other day?

Did you read bjp999s answer?

I did read his answer but, oddly enough, no errors the past two days. Perhaps the SATA cable healed itself......yea right. I am not sure why this symptom seems to be exclusive to watching a movie via Plex. I'll see if I can reproduce the error and post again.

Its related to Plex because Plex is hammering the cache drive during transcoding.  And that hammering increases both bandwidth transferred and power consumed which is going to aggravate any small flaws in connectors / splitters / etc.    I have a particular drive here that only likes being in a certain bay of the 12 bay hotswap case.  Any other bay and all the little manufacturing tolerances are just out enough for that drive to give the same errors under load.  All the other drives work perfectly everywhere...

I did read his answer but, oddly enough, no errors the past two days. Perhaps the SATA cable healed itself......yea right. I am not sure why this symptom seems to be exclusive to watching a movie via Plex. I'll see if I can reproduce the error and post again.

Its related to Plex because Plex is hammering the cache drive during transcoding.  And that hammering increases both bandwidth transferred and power consumed which is going to aggravate any small flaws in connectors / splitters / etc.    I have a particular drive here that only likes being in a certain bay of the 12 bay hotswap case.  Any other bay and all the little manufacturing tolerances are just out enough for that drive to give the same errors under load.  All the other drives work perfectly everywhere...

I hate those drives.

You're approaching but not quite at six sigma. :)

With 32GB of RAM, it seems like the transcoding task would be better suited there. Is there a way to use RAM for cache instead of the SSDs? I'll try the easy route first and get new SATA cables but, I like my idea too.

With 32GB of RAM, it seems like the transcoding task would be better suited there. Is there a way to use RAM for cache instead of the SSDs? I'll try the easy route first and get new SATA cables but, I like my idea too.

Searching this very thread for transcode ram turns up 18 matches.

Hi.

Is there a way of getting cross-library files working?

Example: I've got The Simpsons in /mnt/user/tvshows, which is attached to my "TV Shows" Library, but I also want it to appear in my "Kids TV" Library, which is located in /mnt/user/kids-tv. Seems we can't hard link in unraid, and symlinks don't work in Plex. Has anyone else got a workaround?

Hardlinks do work in unRaid (6.2+)  But hardlinks always have to be within the same mount point as on any system.

ie: You can hardlink a file from

/mnt/user/Movies/MyMovies to /mnt/user/Movies/KidMovies

but not from

/mnt/user/Movies to /mnt/user/KidMovies

Hardlinks do work in unRaid (6.2+)  But hardlinks always have to be within the same mount point as on any system.

but not from

Ok, so I re-organised to have /mnt/user/tvshows/TV and /mnt/user/tvshows/kids, and trying both

ln /mnt/user/tvshows/TV/The\ Simpsons/ /mnt/user/tvshows/Kids/The\ Simpsons

fails with "hard link not allowed for directory"

and

ln -d /mnt/user/tvshows/TV/The\ Simpsons/ /mnt/user/tvshows/Kids/The\ Simpsons

fails with "Operation not permitted"

I'm Running 6.3.0-rc9.

but not from

Ok, so I re-organised to have /mnt/user/tvshows/TV and /mnt/user/tvshows/kids, and trying both

ln /mnt/user/tvshows/TV/The\ Simpsons/ /mnt/user/tvshows/Kids/The\ Simpsons

fails with "hard link not allowed for directory"

and

ln -d /mnt/user/tvshows/TV/The\ Simpsons/ /mnt/user/tvshows/Kids/The\ Simpsons

fails with "Operation not permitted"

I'm Running 6.3.0-rc9.

Never tried it with directories.  But perhaps Limetech did not include support for hardlinking directories when they added support for hardlinks on user shares.