[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

The usual way I update a docker, is right click on the icon for the docker, in this case Plex, and left click on update, it then opens a window and performs the update, this time I did exactly that.

Was this an update for the docker or an update for plex itself? I think LSIO issues weekly updates for their dockers, so if that was what you were doing then that sounds right. If trying to update the plex application itself you would just restart the container.

I use this docker and I have updated it weekly just as you described. Does it do this when you update your other dockers?

This was an update for Plex itself, I also performed an update for binhex-sickrage and it updated normally, just plex is giving me this error.

Well, as I said, if you were trying to update the plex application, you should just restart the container, not update it. The LSIO plex docker checks for the plex update when it starts and downloads the new version if necessary.

So now when I try to add the plex media serve container as per Bonienl's instructions, I get this:

Command:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="PlexMediaServer" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -v "/mnt/user/Movies":"Movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver":"/config":rw limetech/plex

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: Invalid bind mount spec "/mnt/user/Movies:Movies:rw": Invalid volume destination path: 'Movies' mount path must be absolute..

See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

The command failed.

So now when I try to add the plex media serve container as per Bonienl's instructions, I get this:

Command:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="PlexMediaServer" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -v "/mnt/user/Movies":"Movies":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver":"/config":rw limetech/plex

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: Invalid bind mount spec "/mnt/user/Movies:Movies:rw": Invalid volume destination path: 'Movies' mount path must be absolute..

See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

The command failed.

That is correct. You don't have an absolute path to the container volume Movies. Put a slash (/) in front of it.

Also, the volume mappings you have specified here don't match the ones you had in your earlier post. You are missing your tv volume mapping, and you have changed the case of the movies volume mapping.

So, it seems pretty confusing what you are doing at this point. Are you sure you chose the correct "my-plex" template?

Sorry if a little offtopic for LSIO support thread, but thought I would ask here.

Question about plex metadata storage.

Plex creates a deep structure of tiny files to store its metadata. This makes backups and file searches lengthy, consumes an inordinate amount of disk space, and confuses Windows.

I was wondering if we could create an image file (similar to Docker.Img) that could be mounted and used for this metadata. The file itself could then be copied in one step. Not sure if there is a compressed filesystem structure that could be used that is well-suited to a ton of tiny files.

Thoughts?

Sorry if a little offtopic for LSIO support thread, but thought I would ask here.

Plex creates a deep structure of tiny files to store its metadata. This makes backups and file searches lengthy, consumes an inordinate amount of disk space, and confuses Windows.

I was wondering if we could create an image file (similar to Docker.Img) that could be mounted and used for this metadata. The file itself could then be copied in one step. Not sure if there is a compressed filesystem structure that could be used that is well-suited to a ton of tiny files.

Thoughts?

Here is some bed lecture for you  ;D

https://docs.docker.com/engine/tutorials/dockervolumes/

It's possible, but if it's user and backup friendly is another thing.

It's a very interesting idea to me. If there was a willingness to try implementing this by Linuxserver.io I'd be happy to help test it ?

There are no plans to implement this. I just simply answered (more redirected) bjp999's question.

That's ok. I realised it wasn't down to you, just offering myself up to test it if anyone from ls.io was interested in persuing the idea

It's a very interesting idea to me. If there was a willingness to try implementing this by Linuxserver.io I'd be happy to help test it ?

There are no plans to implement this. I just simply answered (more redirected) bjp999's question.

That's ok. I realised it wasn't down to you, just offering myself up to test it if anyone from ls.io was interested in persuing the idea

You can do this by yourself if you want to test it. You just need to read my link and figure out how to apply it on unraid  ;)

I'm not  ;)

Problem with going off-piste with this sort of thing is support.  Honestly, I can't speak for all of ls.io but I'm 99.99% certain this won't be something any of us would want to look at.  I'd be interested if anyone does try it as to the results they get though.

Good Luck to anyone that tries though, and please post your results.

Thoughts?

This is not exactly what I envisioned. I was thinking that the mounted volume would exist outside of the docker features, and would be mounted and symlinked to "Metadata" inside the following path:

appdata\PlexMediaServer\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Metadata

I guess what I was really asking is what filesystem would I use that would be friendly to this type of content. I see btrfs supports compressed volumes and ext4 gets good marks for high performance with lots of files, but I see nothing about compression. But I'd like to squish the slack out of all the file allocations without causing Plex to slow down to a noticeable degree.

Looking at BTRFS, looks like it is shrinking each file. Not sure that would help so much.

Thoughts?

This is not exactly what I envisioned. I was thinking that the mounted volume would exist outside of the docker features, and would be mounted and symlinked to "Metadata" inside the following path:

appdata\PlexMediaServer\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Metadata

I guess what I was really asking is what filesystem would I use that would be friendly to this type of content. I see btrfs supports compressed volumes and ext4 gets good marks for high performance with lots of files, but I see nothing about compression. But I'd like to squish the slack out of all the file allocations without causing Plex to slow down to a noticeable degree.

Looking at BTRFS, looks like it is shrinking each file. Not sure that would help so much.

You should be able to make an image like the docker.img and mount it at the location you want in appdata.

The only thing is that you need to copy the data (or just rename the folder) before mounting the image the first time.

That should solve the problem?

At one point, Limetech proposed creating loopback images for each docker's config folder:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=50343.0

but they implemented hard link support in shfs instead.  I'm not sure if the loopback images are still on the table or not.

So last night I finally decided to actually start using my Plex server for it's purposes.

It was already set and configure with all the updates and libraries.

Steaming worked etc... so I was setting up clients.

I do update it when I see an update coming up and it was updated until sometime later in  the day I saw that there was another update.

So i updated and ohh boy was that a mistake.

Right away none of my Catalogs were showing up in Plex at all. I had to readd them.

So last night I added a few and this morning I woke up to find that Plex shut down.

After playing with that I decided that was enough and I uninstalled it.

However reinstalling it brings config back. lol

Pulling image: limetech/plex:latest
IMAGE ID [latest]: Pulling from limetech/plex. 
IMAGE ID [6ffe5d2d6a97]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [f4e00f994fd4]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [e99f3d1fc87b]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [a3ed95caeb02]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [ededd75b6753]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [1ddde157dd31]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [013614dfa4e7]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 771 B. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete. 
IMAGE ID [7a5b522fbafb]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 119 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete. 
IMAGE ID [4244e3a84dd1]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 562 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete. 

TOTAL DATA PULLED: 119 MB

Error: layers from manifest don't match image configuration

Somehow I managed to get over that and install it.

Now the server is running it's inaccessible and log shows this:

****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.4.1.3362-77c6a4f80/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/1b14f0cb-99e0-4b7c-2f8842cf-6e662855.dmp
Starting Plex Media Server.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): Codecs: Initialize: 'Failed to create UUID file'

****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.4.1.3362-77c6a4f80/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/09dc53e4-5207-54ab-599de663-66ebfa1e.dmp

and it's constantly looping so since log keeps on repeating non stop I cant even scroll up to try copying anything else.

Any ideas how I can completely wipe config and whatever else or is there another solution?

Thanks

So last night I finally decided to actually start using my Plex server for it's purposes.

It was already set and configure with all the updates and libraries.

Steaming worked etc... so I was setting up clients.

I do update it when I see an update coming up and it was updated until sometime later in  the day I saw that there was another update.

So i updated and ohh boy was that a mistake.

Right away none of my Catalogs were showing up in Plex at all. I had to readd them.

So last night I added a few and this morning I woke up to find that Plex shut down.

After playing with that I decided that was enough and I uninstalled it.

However reinstalling it brings config back. lol

IMAGE ID [6ffe5d2d6a97]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [f4e00f994fd4]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [e99f3d1fc87b]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [a3ed95caeb02]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [ededd75b6753]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [1ddde157dd31]: Already exists. 
IMAGE ID [013614dfa4e7]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 771 B. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete. 
IMAGE ID [7a5b522fbafb]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 119 MB. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete. 
IMAGE ID [4244e3a84dd1]: Pulling fs layer. Downloading 100% of 562 B. Verifying Checksum. Download complete. Extracting. Pull complete. 

TOTAL DATA PULLED: 119 MB

Error: layers from manifest don't match image configuration

Somehow I managed to get over that and install it.

Now the server is running it's inaccessible and log shows this:

****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.4.1.3362-77c6a4f80/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/1b14f0cb-99e0-4b7c-2f8842cf-6e662855.dmp

****** PLEX MEDIA SERVER CRASHED, CRASH REPORT WRITTEN: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Crash Reports/1.4.1.3362-77c6a4f80/PLEX MEDIA SERVER/09dc53e4-5207-54ab-599de663-66ebfa1e.dmp

and it's constantly looping so since log keeps on repeating non stop I cant even scroll up to try copying anything else.

Any ideas how I can completely wipe config and whatever else or is there another solution?

Thanks

First of all, you are posting in the wrong support thread. You are using limetechs Plex container.

Second, the error you get with layer manifest is a know issue and is mentioned in the docker FAQ. You need to delete your docker image and create a new and add your containers again.

Thanks for letting me know.

I dunno how this is a wrong thread.  :-[

I went to Apps and then Installed Apps where it shows that I am running plex from linixserver.io so I just clicked Support link on that.

Was that a wrong way of doing it?

Thanks

Don't know what you're seeing in your Installed Apps, but as shown by your previous post you are running limetech plex:

Perhaps you have more than one installed but only one running.

Go read the Docker FAQ in the Docker Engine subforum. It will tell you how to fix your "layers from manifest". Then when you reinstall, I recommend you do install the linuxserver.io plex instead of the limetech. And then if you still have issues, post your docker run command as described in the Docker FAQ.

Having trouble with PLEX library updating...and not sure if it coincided with upgrade to 6.3.1/2?

Do I have the right thread?

Sounds more like a question for the plex forums than the unRAID forums.

Do you not know which plex docker you are running? This is the support thread for linuxserver.io plex docker.

Unlikely the unRAID upgrade has anything to do with this either.