[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

Thanks trurl for this hint, i will keep this in mind, but for me as a "no Programmer" it is strange to update the Container but not the App - but ok.

This behavior is on of the reason, why i find the old plugin system more usefull...

Edited by Zonediver
6 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Think of the container update like a windows update.

Hmmm but what is the reason to use Docker if i cant be sure that the App within the container is on the last version?

And of corse there is no way/button to update the App itself - excep a restart of the container and hoping that the app will be updated too.

What was the "general" reason to implement this Docker? Security maybe?

Edited by Zonediver
3 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Thanks trurl for this hint, i will keep this in mind, but for me as a "no Programmer" it is strange to update the Container but not the App - but ok.

This behavior is on of the reason, why i find the old plugin system more usefull...

When we refresh all our containers on Friday night every week, whatever version is available will be in the container. For Plex, this is the latest public release. If there is a new version released after we build the container, you only need to restart the Plex container and it will automatically pull the latest version.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, saarg said:

When we refresh all our containers on Friday night every week, whatever version is available will be in the container. For Plex, this is the latest public release. If there is a new version released after we build the container, you only need to restart the Plex container and it will automatically pull the latest version.

Yes, thats nice, but "how" do i know that the container autor has updated the App within the container??? Thats the question...

There is no reporting system at unraid/docker which tells me, that the app has updated.

Edited by Zonediver
4 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Hmmm but what is the reason to use Docker if i cant be sure that the App within the container is on the last version?

And of corse there is no way/button to update the App itself.

You only have to wait for maximum a week for the app to be updated if using our containers. 

There is no way for the webUI checking for plugin updates to know whether the application the plugin is installing has a new version either. Same reason, there is no consistent way to know when any application has an update.

If you thought plugins were different it was just because most plugin updates were for application updates, since plugins were usually created to download and install a specific version. So plugins had to be updated to get a new version of the application.

Dockers are actually better in this regard since the docker authors can have the container get the latest version of the application without actually requiring an update to the docker itself. So in this particular case, you don't need to update the docker, just restart it.

And of corse there is no way/button to update the App itself.

Dockers are sandboxed and easy to install and maintain.  

The container updates itself in the case of plex.

Not sure what you mean by the last question.

Look, it's pretty simple.  Any docker has two components.  The underlying operating system and the app installed.  If we don't update the container once a week, it would be like never updating Unraid or Windows, or MacOS, or Linux.  We need to update to make sure that we are up to date with security and compatibility patches.

Most of our containers don't autoupdate, however, Plex does update on restart.  I'm not sure what issue it is you're having, but if you check the link in my sig and post your docker run command then maybe we can help you some more.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

There is no way for the webUI checking for plugin updates to know whether the application the plugin is installing has a new version either. Same reason, there is no consistent way to know when any application has an update.

If you thought plugins were different it was just because most plugin updates were for application updates, since plugins were usually created to download and install a specific version. So plugins had to be updated to get a new version of the application.

Dockers are actually better in this regard since the docker authors can have the container get the latest version of the application without actually requiring an update to the docker itself. So in this particular case, you don't need to update the docker, just restart it.

I see - then i will do this in this way and dont care at the app.

As for how will you know if there is an update, Plex usually tells me when I open its webUI if there is an update. When that happens, I just close it and restart the docker to get the new version. Other applications will be different, which is why there is no way for unRAID to know, no consistent way to tell with all possible applications. NZBGet in its webUI has a way to check versions, for example, but you have to tell it to check.

3 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Dockers are sandboxed and easy to install and maintain.  

The container updates itself in the case of plex.

Not sure what you mean by the last question.

Look, it's pretty simple.  Any docker has two components.  The underlying operating system and the app installed.  If we don't update the container once a week, it would be like never updating Unraid or Windows, or MacOS, or Linux.  We need to update to make sure that we are up to date with security and compatibility patches.

Most of our containers don't autoupdate, however, Plex does update on restart.  I'm not sure what issue it is you're having, but if you check the link in my sig and post your docker run command then maybe we can help you some more.

Thanks for your help CHBMB. It was indeed strange because after rebooting my unraid server, the plex app is now on the latest version and working.

10 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Yes, thats nice, but "how" do i know that the container autor has updated the App within the container??? Thats the question...

There is no reporting system at unraid/docker which tells me, that the app has updated.

I find the logs useful personally....

-------------------------------------
_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing...
Atempting to upgrade to: 1.4.2.3400-ab906953b
2017-02-25 03:04:55 URL:https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.4.2.3400-ab906953b/plexmediaserver_1.4.2.3400-ab906953b_amd64.deb [102802238/102802238] -> "/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.4.2.3400-ab906953b_amd64.deb" [1]
(Reading database ... 10924 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_1.4.2.3400-ab906953b_amd64.deb ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/plexmediaserver.prerm: 13: /var/lib/dpkg/info/plexmediaserver.prerm: stop: not found
Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.4.2.3400-ab906953b) over (1.3.4.3285-b46e0ea) ...
Setting up plexmediaserver (1.4.2.3400-ab906953b) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu13) ...
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
Starting dbus-daemon
[services.d] done.

Edited by CHBMB
logs
On 3/1/2017 at 4:09 PM, CDLehner said:

Well...I turned on auto-update, to see if that might work; but prior to that, and since...I just do a manual update.

Who do I have to pay...to get help, updating my libraries again?

I miss my PLEX :(

Edited by CDLehner
On 2/26/2017 at 5:31 PM, CDLehner said:

Library not updating.

I took the previous advice, and have been seeking an answer on the PLEX forums, for some time; since my last posts here.

Seems like a LOT of threads, with the same issue; and when I finally searched them out...it seems like they went no where...no definitive answers, just as mine has remained.

I mean...I have begged, just to be pointed in the right direction; supplied logs, etc.

Nothing. So I'm back here...looking for any help I can get; because it's rendered PLEX, practically useless...if I can't figure out, what's caused it to stop updating.

TIA

I think we're not really clear what the problem is.  Maybe to start:
* What version of unraid?  Your sig says 6.1.9 but a previous message makes it sounds like you might be more current.
* Who's Plex Docker are you running?  This is the Linuxserver.io support thread, but I don't want to assume anything.
* Does the docker tab say that you are running the latest version of the docker?  If there is an "update ready", install it.
* What version of Plex is installed?  If it isn't 1.4.3, restart your docker to grab the latest (assuming you are running the LS.IO docker)
* According to the unRAID dashboard, what are the % usage for flash/log/docker?

Now that that's out of the way, can you describe in more detail what the problem is?  i.e. what you click, what you expect to happen, what actually happens.  You mention other people have reported the same problem, can you link to some of those discussions?

I have the docker working but I've noticed that from time to time by CPU use will spike up to over 70% on all cores and the cache SSD will start flashing HOT.

When I shut down the Plex Server docker it stops so I assume it is related to Plex.

This happens when when I am not streaming or watching anything as well as sometimes when I am watching something.

Is this normal or have I set something up wrong?

14 hours ago, ljm42 said:

I think we're not really clear what the problem is.  Maybe to start:
* What version of unraid?  Your sig says 6.1.9 but a previous message makes it sounds like you might be more current.
* Who's Plex Docker are you running?  This is the Linuxserver.io support thread, but I don't want to assume anything.
* Does the docker tab say that you are running the latest version of the docker?  If there is an "update ready", install it.
* What version of Plex is installed?  If it isn't 1.4.3, restart your docker to grab the latest (assuming you are running the LS.IO docker)
* According to the unRAID dashboard, what are the % usage for flash/log/docker?

Now that that's out of the way, can you describe in more detail what the problem is?  i.e. what you click, what you expect to happen, what actually happens.  You mention other people have reported the same problem, can you link to some of those discussions?

Sorry; my sig is not current. I am on uR 6.3.2.

Here is my Plex Docker info

v1.png.023f66301bf961db595a74b0877469f5.png

Is this the version of Plex you're looking for?

v2.thumb.png.98b5fd671cc11d343898445e02ec923e.png

Flash Log Docker

v3.png.aece33397e403a9356a22db0c6eda259.png

So...I've never done anything, other than manually update my library. I add a file, I click on the 'update library' icon (I know with this latest version, it's on the options, of the library itself); I'd have the title.

In a nutshell...I've added several titles, since this issue started; and they don't show.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread. And thanks, for showing me mercy!

Edited by CDLehner
30 minutes ago, CDLehner said:

So...I've never done anything, other than manually update my library. I add a file, I click on the 'update library' icon (I know with this latest version, it's on the options, of the library itself); I'd have the title.

In a nutshell...I've added several titles, since this issue started; and they don't show.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread. And thanks, for showing me mercy!

First of all post your docker run command.  Link in my sig.  

Secondly, check the Plex logs for what happens when you try to update the library, if your files aren't named properly then it won't successfully scan them in.  By Plex logs I mean the ones in your appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs/

Give us an example of a file you're trying to scan in that isn't working so we can at least check the naming.

My gut feeling is this isn't a problem with Plex or this docker, but more on the naming.  I may yet be proved wrong though.

EDIT: And remove that pic with your email in it.

Edited by CHBMB
46 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

First of all post your docker run command.  Link in my sig.  

Secondly, check the Plex logs for what happens when you try to update the library, if your files aren't named properly then it won't successfully scan them in.  By Plex logs I mean the ones in your appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs/

Give us an example of a file you're trying to scan in that isn't working so we can at least check the naming.

My gut feeling is this isn't a problem with Plex or this docker, but more on the naming.  I may yet be proved wrong though.

EDIT: And remove that pic with your email in it.

Docker run command?

v4.png.b30fe1f61d6517846cc78221a7536dab.png

Log you're looking for?

v6.thumb.png.c3d81e19084807cbf1295a9fc4b8767c.png

v7.thumb.png.314d5bd313dd1d355525a80c9dca5d41.png

File naming. No different, than I've ever done...

v5.png.07bf8c0c91582ca2fdb088fa96869df6.png

For example; Moonlight is not updating.

TY, for bringing that exposed email addy to my attention!

So..where to from here??

Edited by CDLehner

That's the one but if VERSION="2.13.0" is not a valid parameter.  Look here, VERSION should be either latest, plexpass or a specific version number, and 2.13.0 I can tell by looking isn't a valid one.   Not that I think this is contributing to your current issue.

Edited by CHBMB