[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

2 minutes ago, Banderaz said:

Hi, just migrated to unraid 6.3.2 after been on 5.0.5 for a very long time :)
Trying to add this Plex docker, but when adding https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/ (from first post) to the list of Template repositories, I do not get any new Plex mediaservers, just the default from LimeTech (who aparently do not update plex any more)

Can someone please point me in the right direction?
Thank you

Welcome to v6+. The best way to add "Apps" in unRAID 6 is to use the Community Applications Plugin:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/38582-plug-in-community-applications/

When you add this plugin you will get a tab within the unRAID GUI called Apps. Within this tab you can search for "Plex" and choose the linuxserver container and install. Once installed the container will appear in the Docker tab where you can configure.

Useful links for you:

v6 getting started: https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_6/Getting_Started#Getting_Started

Docker FAQ's: https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/55246-docker-faq/

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, danioj said:

Welcome to v6+. The best way to add "Apps" in unRAID 6 is to use the Community Applications Plugin:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/38582-plug-in-community-applications/

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

Install Community Applications  The notion of repositories isn't really used anymore within unRaid  (and that's not the repository URL that you posted)

Thank you both for really quick replies :)

Whats the valid template repository url for this? Nothing I try will bring up the template.

Most authors do not bother publishing the url for the entry for the repositories anymore. (and the thread I was maintaining detailing the urls and apps contained within did not convert correctly to the new forum)

Everyone will tell you to install CA. (but if you insist on not installing CA you can get the urls from https://github.com/Squidly271/Community-Applications-Moderators/blob/master/Repositories.json but CA will handle everything for you automatically and far far easier

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, RyanOver9000 said:

Is it possible to get the Forum Preview builds using the Docker Version variable?  In specific I'm looking for the Hardware Acceleration/Transcoding build that enables Haswell CPU's to use the integrated Intel GPU's.

Located here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/250946/plex-media-server-hardware-transcoding-preview-2-1-4-0-3224/p1

Since that's a Plex Pass thread, not everyone will have access to view it.

That being said, have you tried pasting the version number into the field on the Docker to see if it can download it and deploy it?

23 hours ago, mlounsbury said:

Since that's a Plex Pass thread, not everyone will have access to view it.

That being said, have you tried pasting the version number into the field on the Docker to see if it can download it and deploy it?

My bad.  I hadn't realized that it wouldn't be visible to some.

That's such an obviously good answer that I completely didn't think of it. I'll give it a shot.

Edit: Changing the variable for VERSION to XXXXXXXXXX did nothing.  It stayed on the latest version on reboot.

Edited by RyanOver9000
Removed version number
1 hour ago, CHBMB said:

If you look at the readme linked on the first page you'll see an example under setting up the application of what the version string should look like, it is longer than the one you posted with letters at the end of the string.

And don't post it! It is supposed to be known and used only by plexpass members.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, RyanOver9000 said:

Edit: Changing the variable for VERSION to x.x.x.xxxx did nothing.  It stayed on the latest version on reboot.

Go to the Plex forum and look at the actual download link for the Ubuntu file you want to download.  It will look something like this:

https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/x.x.x.xxxx-yyyyyyy/plexmediaserver_x.x.x.xxxx-yyyyyyy_amd64.deb

The correct version string is the full x.x.x.xxxx-yyyyyyy part.

Do not post the actual version string here.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, leejbarker said:

How do you do that?

Credit goes to: https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/53388-enabling-i915-for-host/?do=findComment&comment=530722   I had to change some things around in the plex config to get it to work. Not sure if these changes apply to just the LSIO docker or all docker variants. Changes highlighted for reference.

Must be on unRAID 6.3.x or higher as they added the i915 to the kernel in the RC phases.

Add to "/boot/config/go" (very first lines):

modprobe i915

chmod 777 /dev/dri/*

Then to the Plex docker config:

Change to mode to Privileged.

Extra Parameters: "--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri"

Version: "#.#.#.####-xxxxxxx"   (need plexpass)

Reboot system

open Plex > settings > SERVER > transcoder, "Show Advanced" > check off "Use hardware acceleration when available (Experimental)"

Start a stream, force transcoding by lowering bitrate.

Open a new plex window, click Status > Now Playing and click the (i) on the stream. If you see (hw) in the video line you've enabled it successfully.

Edited by mr-hexen
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Go to the Plex forum and look at the actual download link for the Ubuntu file you want to download.  It will look something like this:

https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/x.x.x.xxxx-yyyyyyy/plexmediaserver_x.x.x.xxxx-yyyyyyy_amd64.deb

The correct version string is the full x.x.x.xxxx-yyyyyyy part.

Do not post the actual version string here.

My bad, mistakes were made.

After reviewing all of this I made the discovery that I completely got my socket number wrong and do not have a haswell CPU.  I have a 2700k which would make that Sandy Bridge.  Thanks for the help regardless, and I'm glad someone was able to figure it out.

6 hours ago, mr-hexen said:

Credit goes to: https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/53388-enabling-i915-for-host/?do=findComment&comment=530722   I had to change some things around in the plex config to get it to work. Not sure if these changes apply to just the LSIO docker or all docker variants. Changes highlighted for reference.

Must be on unRAID 6.3.x or higher as they added the i915 to the kernel in the RC phases.

Add to "/boot/config/go" (very first lines):

modprobe i915

chmod 777 /dev/dri/*

Then to the Plex docker config:

Change to mode to Privileged.

Extra Parameters: "--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri"

Version: "#.#.#.####-xxxxxxx"   (need plexpass)

Reboot system

open Plex > settings > SERVER > transcoder, "Show Advanced" > check off "Use hardware acceleration when available (Experimental)"

Start a stream, force transcoding by lowering bitrate.

Open a new plex window, click Status > Now Playing and click the (i) on the stream. If you see (hw) in the video line you've enabled it successfully.

You don't need both privileged and the device tag. Using privileged let's the container access all devices. In this case it should be enough to use the device tag. It's also not needed to use both host and  container path anymore. --device=/dev/dri is enough.

4 minutes ago, saarg said:

You don't need both privileged and the device tag. Using privileged let's the container access all devices. In this case it should be enough to use the device tag. It's also not needed to use both host and  container path anymore. --device=/dev/dri is enough.

It only started working for me when I added the privileged setting. Otherwise it always software encoded.  I'm wondering if the container is using my HD5450 (passed to a VM) to encode or the iGPU?

1 hour ago, mr-hexen said:

It only started working for me when I added the privileged setting. Otherwise it always software encoded.  I'm wondering if the container is using my HD5450 (passed to a VM) to encode or the iGPU?

The HD5450 shouldn't have any drivers loaded, so it shouldn't be used.

Is /dev/dri the device or does it have subfolders? If it doesn't have subfolders, the reason why it didn't work is the chmod /dev/dri/*. If it has subfolders, I'm not sure what's happening.

Edit:

I just tested this on a test server and it's working here without the privileged flag.  It's crazy how much CPU it saves on a i5-4590. I added some pictures.

This is a Blu-ray rip of one episode 42 min long.

plexhard.PNG

softplex.PNG

Edited by saarg
Update
5 hours ago, saarg said:

The HD5450 shouldn't have any drivers loaded, so it shouldn't be used.

Is /dev/dri the device or does it have subfolders? If it doesn't have subfolders, the reason why it didn't work is the chmod /dev/dri/*. If it has subfolders, I'm not sure what's happening.

Edit:

I just tested this on a test server and it's working here without the privileged flag.  It's crazy how much CPU it saves on a i5-4590. I added some pictures.

This is a Blu-ray rip of one episode 42 min long.

Did you do the 'go' file edits too? I'm wondering because I couldnt get it to work w/o priviledged...i5-4460 here.

This is from putty to the host:

root@Tower:~# ls -la /dev/dri/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       100 Mar  9 16:14 ./
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root      4000 Mar 10 20:09 ../
crwxrwxrwx  1 root video 226,   0 Mar  9 16:14 card0
crwxrwxrwx  1 root video 226,  64 Mar  9 16:14 controlD64
crwxrwxrwx  1 root video 226, 128 Mar  9 16:14 renderD128

This is exec'd into the docker:

root@Tower:~# docker exec -it PlexMediaServer /bin/bash
root@Tower:/# ls -la /dev/dri
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      100 Mar 10 20:20 .
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root     3840 Mar 10 20:20 ..
crwxrwxrwx  1 root   18 226,   0 Mar 10 20:20 card0
crwxrwxrwx  1 root   18 226,  64 Mar 10 20:20 controlD64
crwxrwxrwx  1 root   18 226, 128 Mar 10 20:20 renderD128

Not sure if those perms are right ??? Plex logs say "renderD128" not found...

Edited by mr-hexen

When you guys check the transcode info in the currently playing tab in plex web, does it show "Transcoding H264 (hw) to H264 (hw)"?

Mine shows "Transcoding H264 (hw) to H264" where the (hw) is only after the from part. And the cpu usage is just as high as software transcode.

6 hours ago, aptalca said:

When you guys check the transcode info in the currently playing tab in plex web, does it show "Transcoding H264 (hw) to H264 (hw)"?

Mine shows "Transcoding H264 (hw) to H264" where the (hw) is only after the from part. And the cpu usage is just as high as software transcode.

It showed hw after both here.

10 hours ago, mr-hexen said:

Did you do the 'go' file edits too? I'm wondering because I couldnt get it to work w/o priviledged...i5-4460 here.

This is from putty to the host:

root@Tower:~# ls -la /dev/dri/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       100 Mar  9 16:14 ./
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root      4000 Mar 10 20:09 ../
crwxrwxrwx  1 root video 226,   0 Mar  9 16:14 card0
crwxrwxrwx  1 root video 226,  64 Mar  9 16:14 controlD64
crwxrwxrwx  1 root video 226, 128 Mar  9 16:14 renderD128

This is exec'd into the docker:

root@Tower:~# docker exec -it PlexMediaServer /bin/bash
root@Tower:/# ls -la /dev/dri
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      100 Mar 10 20:20 .
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root     3840 Mar 10 20:20 ..
crwxrwxrwx  1 root   18 226,   0 Mar 10 20:20 card0
crwxrwxrwx  1 root   18 226,  64 Mar 10 20:20 controlD64
crwxrwxrwx  1 root   18 226, 128 Mar 10 20:20 renderD128

Not sure if those perms are right ??? Plex logs say "renderD128" not found...

I didn't add anything to the go file, I just executed modprobe and chmod and got it working. Permissions looks like the ones i have. This was just for testing. I'll check again later today when I get some time.

Edit:

I tested again and I don't have any renderD128 missing in my plex logs. This time I just chowned the /dev/dri folder.

chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri

Did you chmod recursively or what you posted in your guide? Do this instead of what you did.

chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

Edited by saarg
Tested