[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

this morning when i tried logging in to plex it was like the server had forgotten its name and i had to go trough the wizard again, i type in my server name and all my media/ is there but it is not shared with my fiends anymore and i see the old server on the list but says not avalible. biggest problem is i have to reshare all my media with my friends again. this the 3 time ive tried this with this docker, is there a way to fix it or can i do something to adopt the old profile when it happens again?

6 hours ago, mr-hexen said:

Could not change the remote stream limit on the server side and/or client side?

When it connects using Relay, it limits you to a 2MB stream with no ability to change it on the client side.  

From Plex:

When relaying a connection through us, there are limitations for the streaming qualities you can use:

• Free users are limited to 1 Mbps maximum for streams
  • Plex Pass subscribers are limited to 2 Mbps maximum for streams

Last night, I even did a factory reset on my girlfriends router to see if that would help.  It didn't.  Any other suggestions?

What is the benefit of running one plex server docker vs another?

linuxserver.io vs plexinc vs limetech vs needo etc. I currently am a plexpass subscriber and have needo installed from way back. Which docker will be updated most frequently and have the most support? I realize that I am currently in the linuxserver.io thread and there may be some bias, but even so, how does one go about picking a repo, especially for the plex server? Thank you. 

17 minutes ago, xdriver said:

What is the benefit of running one plex server docker vs another?

linuxserver.io vs plexinc vs limetech vs needo etc. I currently am a plexpass subscriber and have needo installed from way back. Which docker will be updated most frequently and have the most support? I realize that I am currently in the linuxserver.io thread and there may be some bias, but even so, how does one go about picking a repo, especially for the plex server? Thank you. 

Here's a pretty good comparison. Doesn't include the official Plex docker though. Hadn't been released yet when the post was written.

48 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Here's a pretty good comparison. Doesn't include the official Plex docker though. Hadn't been released yet when the post was written.

There's some useful information in that thread, but the first post isn't really up-to-date. I think linuxserver,io has moved all their dockers away from phusion (to alpine?) but they are using a common base image. I question whether needo (or limetech) plex is really maintained these days. 

2 hours ago, trurl said:

I question whether needo (or limetech) plex is really maintained these days.

All of Needo's apps have been deprecated within CA (ie: the will never show up for new installs, but will let you reinstall them if you've already had them installed).

Limetech still updates their container to more or less keep up with the latest stable releases of Plex.  (Check the changelog within CA on LT's template)

But, in this day and age, I believe the two best options for a plex install remain Binhex or LinuxServer as they both offer incredible support here, with a possibility of the Official Plex Template (I haven't seen what kind of support they actually offer on their own forums for unRaid installs)

50 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

As much as @binhex is of course our Arch enemy (pun intended - his containers are Arch based) :D I'd agree with @Squid Can't go wrong with either our version or his.  

Whilst i try my best to support people, @CHBMB gets the golden globe for this, not exactly sure when he sleeps, he seems mysteriously wired into the forum 24/7, as if he were some sort of support answering terminator machine :-).

14 hours ago, saarg said:

As of now we don't have any plans of doing it. I haven't seen a good reason to do it yet. 

The reason i ask is, that i want to (hardware) transcode tvheadend stream with plex , so i can watch tv on my tablet/phone , or is there an alternative?

11 hours ago, jteeuw said:

The reason i ask is, that i want to (hardware) transcode tvheadend stream with plex , so i can watch tv on my tablet/phone , or is there an alternative?

Tvheadend transcodes the stream if you set it up correctly. You can use tvhclient to connect to tvheadend. You don't get hardware transcoding though.

On 4/1/2017 at 2:23 PM, CHBMB said:

Why don't you ask them to describe how theirs is different to ours?  I prefer that option.  Ultimately they all download the same binary.

When I search for Plex under apps I get 19 hits... half of which seem to be Plex Media Server.  Ones from linuxserver, plexinc, and limetech seem to have a lot of downloads.

For someone new to this it is very unclear what the differences are between them.

6 minutes ago, eric.frederich said:

When I search for Plex under apps I get 19 hits... half of which seem to be Plex Media Server.  Ones from linuxserver, plexinc, and limetech seem to have a lot of downloads.

For someone new to this it is very unclear what the differences are between them.

You are responding to a post that is nearly a month old. If you still have a question about this, it was asked and answered on Monday in this very thread.

14 minutes ago, trurl said:

You are responding to a post that is nearly a month old. If you still have a question about this, it was asked and answered on Monday in this very thread.

Yeah, I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it.  I had it somewhat working but could never get it to load on my Apple TV.  So last night I decided to start over from scratch and wanted to know which one I should use.

1 hour ago, eric.frederich said:

Essentially it's down to support, I was grumpy when I responded as I was extremely sleep deprived due to crazy work shifts and a new baby.  Just don't see why we need to justify to anybody why they should use our version rather than a.n.other.  Ultimately it's down to support.  Generally speaking as far as docker containers go, if there's a selection from different authors then I'd only recommend ours or if we don't have a container but @binhex does, use his.  Won't go wrong with either of those authors.

6 hours ago, CHBMB said:
7 hours ago, eric.frederich said:

Essentially it's down to support

It is also the only option that lets you install *any* version of Plex (even beta/forum-only versions) that your Plex account has access to.

Finally got around to updating my "Choosing a Plex Docker" post: