[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

16 minutes ago, aptalca said:

I've been using subzero since its release and it's a God send. I believe it is now in the plex channel store so it is as close as it gets to official.

I'll talk to the lsio team and we will look into adding unrar support

Oh yeah, I meant to bring this up but I forgot.... :$

17 minutes ago, hernandito said:

Did you guys hear about new live tv feature in Plex???!!

For us yanks, this could be a nice thing.

you need to buy a USB tuner device and an antenna. And you can tune to your  local channels from anywhere.

https://www.plex.tv/features/live-tv-dvr/

I guess the hard part for us Dockers is how to connect/pass the USB tuner to the plex docker.

Any thoughts or ideas?

I use the plex DVR with the linuxserver docker.  My tuner is a HdHomeRun, it is network based so no issue configuring it with the docker

I haven't tried live TV yet but I'm very happy with the DVR.  

Plex doesn't have a real TV schedule though, some patent troll has a hold of that so you can only search and see the list of what's playing now.  Nothing in a grid view.

5 minutes ago, Gog said:

I use the plex DVR with the linuxserver docker.  My tuner is a HdHomeRun, it is network based so no issue configuring it with the docker

I haven't tried live TV yet but I'm very happy with the DVR.  

Plex doesn't have a real TV schedule though, some patent troll has a hold of that so you can only search and see the list of what's playing now.  Nothing in a grid view.

Hi Gog,

looks like the beauty of this NEW feature is the live tv with the program guide etc. watch the video from my link above. 

Edited by hernandito
1 hour ago, hernandito said:

Hi Gog,

looks like the beauty of this NEW feature is the live tv with the program guide etc. watch the video from my link above. 

The video talks about a program guide but the images only show what I have now with the DVR.  

Playing now, upcoming, movies...  No grid view.  I think they are playing with words a bit using the expression "program guide"

Well they made a big new announcement today...Before it was DVR only, and now they have Live TV as well.

Also, no need for tuner card. Just an antenna...yet I wonder if connecting a coax line from my cable provider would alloww me to watch the non-drm channels.

Edited by hernandito
4 minutes ago, hernandito said:

Well they made a big new announcement today...Before it was DVR only, and now they have Live TV as well.

Also, no need for tuner card. Just an antenna...yet I wonder if connecting a coax line from my cable provider would alloww me to watch the non-drm channels.

You either need a tuner card or a hdhomerun. It's not many tuners support as of now, but they might support others later. This is also only for free to air channels, so no encrypted channels. I have no idea if it supports cable card in the states, I'm in Europe so I don't follow that stuff very close.

3 minutes ago, hernandito said:

Into something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-AVerTV-Volar-Hybrid-H837/dp/B006PU81QE

Also works with any HDHomeRun.

But how is the USB connect to the Docker.

The device have to be supported by Plex as far as I understand it. If they would have supported dvb, all cards working with @CHBMB's dvb build would work in Plex.

You might be able to pass through the USB device by the bus and the device number if no driver is installed. If you need to install a driver, then passing through the /dev/dvb device is enough.

Edited by saarg
4 minutes ago, hernandito said:

The new Plex Live TV thing lists the supported compatible devices:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/225877427-Supported-DVR-Devices-and-Antennas

What keeps me from buying the $50 USB Adapter is how to bridge the USB into the Docker.I know all you in Europe have it really handy... us in the US are not so lucky.

I know they have a list of supported devices. 

It looks like Plex needs the driver installed, so then you need a device that is supported by @CHBMB's dvb build. Then passing it through is as simple as adding a device and specifying /dev/dvb.

1 minute ago, jevans04 said:

Buy a network based HdHomeRun, and you don't have to worry about pass thru, and drivers, and configuration, etc...  Not worth trying to save a few bucks to use a USB tuner with unRAID if you are buying something new anyways.

Yeah, that's great if you're Stateside, not so good if you're in Europe or the Antipodes.

But wouldn't all these drivers be included with the latest version of Plex which are compatible?

From the Hauppauge site:

DGM9Rpf.png

13 minutes ago, saarg said:

It looks like Plex needs the driver installed, so then you need a device that is supported by @CHBMB's dvb build. Then passing it through is as simple as adding a device and specifying /dev/dvb.

How does one pass a USB device to a Docker with the /dev/dvb? Is that unique only to @CHBMB docker?

Just now, hernandito said:

But wouldn't all these drivers be included with the latest version of Plex which are compatible?

Drivers have to be installed in the OS, not in the application.

1 minute ago, hernandito said:

How does one pass a USB device to a Docker with the /dev/dvb? Is that unique only to @CHBMB docker?

It's not a docker I produce, it's special Unraid builds with DVB drivers.  So they're installed in the OS.  You then passthrough the devices to the docker container.

39 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Yeah, that's great if you're Stateside, not so good if you're in Europe or the Antipodes.

Im based in Europe (UK) and there is a HDHomerun device capable of Freeview HD channels. 

I have to admit I'm not actually using it anymore as I'm addicted to unsupported protected channels on sky! ?