[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

2 hours ago, hernandito said:

A though. Can a new Docker be made that includes the compatible Linux drivers? One where a firstrun.sh script installs it? There is still the issue of passing the USB device to a docker. 

I could never move Plex from a Docker to a VM.

Plex does make a docker.  You may want to ask them to include the drivers in there.  The docker parameter "--device" should make the "usb passthrough" possible.

Docker does not pass devices through like kvm does. It only allows the containers to share resources with the host.

To use a usb device in docker, you would need a driver for it installed on the host os, which in this case is unraid. If unraid does not recognize the usb device and load drivers, it won't work in docker.

The PMS version which has Live TV enabled is Beta, or so is my understanding anyway.  How are you guys enabling Beta from within the linuxserver.io docker?  I looked at the Github FAQ and it doesn't list beta as a valid version choice.  Or is this just conversation regarding the new Live TV function in a general sense of it all?

Yeah I'm a little confused too. Linuxserver releases updates on Fridays so you would expect that the current release isn't the latest.

But I'm on Version 1.7.2.3878 and Plex changelog shows 1.7.2 as the latest and checking for updates inside of plex doesn't show any updates as being available.

I have my tuner passed through with this in the container

Extra Parameters: --device=/dev/dvb

Plex doesn't find it but its also not supported so was just going to try...

Took the plunge and am in the process of switching from needo's repository to linuxserverio by following instructions here: 

However... Running into a brick wall as when I try to add the docker from community applications, it doesn't give me the template to fill in the same mappings from my previous install. When I try and manually add the mappings, it fails and the docker application disappears from the installed apps list. Any guidance would be much appreciated! 

If you set the version parameter to latest when you create the container, it will attempt to upgrade to the latest during each start of the container.

If you are a plexpass user and logged into your plexpass account in plex, the container will update to the latest plexpass version. If not, it will update to the latest public version.

The Friday builds come with the latest public version inside

2 hours ago, grandprix said:

The PMS version which has Live TV enabled is Beta, or so is my understanding anyway.  How are you guys enabling Beta from within the linuxserver.io docker?  I looked at the Github FAQ and it doesn't list beta as a valid version choice.  Or is this just conversation regarding the new Live TV function in a general sense of it all?

I just updated from within unRaid like any normal update. It's set to get the Lastest. Now mines at Version 1.7.2.3878

The PMS settings menu for me says 'DVR (Beta)'. Their video online just shows it as DVR. I did run the beta version last fall so figured it might be a leftover config setting causing that.

I went ahead and setup HDHR Connect which went smoothly. After setup there was no outward sign of anything to do with Live TV with Plex Web. When using my iPhone it did play Live TV from the Program Guide menu.

You need plexpass version 1.7.2 to watch live TV, and specific clients (Android TV and IOS). Most clients (Android, Apple TV, Roku, web) do not work with live TV yet:
  https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115007689648

You also need a supported tuner and antenna:
  https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/225877427-Supported-DVR-Devices-and-Antennas 
For unRAID, the HDHomeRun is probably the best as it is network-based and you don't need to worry about drivers.

If you have purchased a PlexPass and are using the LSIO docker with the VERSION environment variable set to "latest", all you need to do is restart the docker to get the latest version.

• Upvote 2
15 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

If you have purchased a PlexPass and are using the LSIO docker with the VERSION environment variable set to "latest", all you need to do is restart the docker to get the latest version.

Ah good a reset grabs the latest.  That's golden.  However, I was under the impression from reading on Plex's forums that the Live TV version is a Beta, specifically.  Not just a Plex Pass version but Beta.  I suppose I either misunderstood of the person who replied on their forums didn't explain it clearly.  I'll restart the Plex Docker and see what it gets me.  Thank you.

29 minutes ago, grandprix said:

However, I was under the impression from reading on Plex's forums that the Live TV version is a Beta, specifically.  Not just a Plex Pass version but Beta.  I suppose I either misunderstood of the person who replied on their forums didn't explain it clearly.  

This page specifically says you need PMS 1.7.2, which is standard plexpass:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115007689648

So it is a beta *feature*, but it is available in a plexpass *release*. Kind of confusing :)

Quick question about Plex plugins.

I'm experimenting with the plex request channel plugin: https://github.com/ngovil21/RequestChannel.bundle

I put the plugin files in the plex config directory and made a symbolic link from the plex plugin directory :  

ln -s /config/RequestChannel.bundle-master /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-8088811b8/RequestChannel.bundle

And that seems to work fine.  Is there an official way of deploying plugins that I missed that would persist through a docker image update?

Thanks

And BTW, I played with Plex live last night and the program guide is still the same, still no grid views

26 minutes ago, Gog said:

Quick question about Plex plugins.

I'm experimenting with the plex request channel plugin: https://github.com/ngovil21/RequestChannel.bundle

I put the plugin files in the plex config directory and made a symbolic link from the plex plugin directory :  

ln -s /config/RequestChannel.bundle-master /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plug-ins-8088811b8/RequestChannel.bundle

And that seems to work fine.  Is there an official way of deploying plugins that I missed that would persist through a docker image update?

Thanks

And BTW, I played with Plex live last night and the program guide is still the same, still no grid views

Not really clear what you are doing. Is this using docker exec to get to bash inside the container? The Plex Plugins folder is in your Plex appdata, which is mapped to your unRAID storage (if you are doing it right), so you can just put plugins in there.