[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Just now, CHBMB said:

Nothing in there stands out, what's in the "general" Plex log?  Take a look through them yourself and see if you can spot something.  I don't really know what I'm looking for, but usually problems stand out a bit.

I did check. It was super clean so didn't bother adding it. 

I can see no errors anywhere. Apart from it just being slow. Still works though

7 minutes ago, Spies said:

What is the correct way to add media from an external share (SMB or NFS) into the Plex docker whilst retaining the existing media which sits in the array?

You would add another path to the docker pointing to the UD mounted share. Once you add the path you'll be able to see/add it in plex.

What needs to be added to this version in order to install plugins into the plugin folder from the net I have tried every version of plex and for some reason if I try to add plugins from the net my plugin folder has a an error preventing me from doing so there must be something I'm missing, I've tried all options in sharing settings a matter of fact it won't let me change any sharing rights in windows

permission.png

15 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

That's a permissions issue with Windows and Unraid smb shares, nothing to do with this container.  Can't help you as I'm not a Windows user.

The crazy thing is the binhex version did allow me to install into the plugin folder from my desktop from web sourced files but I removed it because that version was not allowing the web tools plugin to open in my browser so it isn't windows in my opinion there must be some other source of permission holding me back and I did not change anything in unRAID as far as smb permissions to allow it to work I simply loaded a different docker version?

docker exec -it plex bash
ls -la /config

And I'm pretty confident it will show the permissions as nobody:users (which will be abc:users in the container)

That tells me it's not a permissions problem with the container.

And it normally is Windows. ;-)

Edited by CHBMB
4 hours ago, CHBMB said:

docker exec -it plex bash
ls -la /config

And I'm pretty confident it will show the permissions as nobody:users (which will be abc:users in the container)

That tells me it's not a permissions problem with the container.

And it normally is Windows. ;-)

IIRC I was helping buddy earlier, and permissions show as -rw-r--r-- nobody:users which means that Plex itself can write but over smb Windows won't be able to.

Not entirely unexpected with a docker application, and the solution with any container is to access the appdata via the command prompt running as root.

15 minutes ago, Squid said:

IIRC I was helping buddy earlier, and permissions show as -rw-r--r-- nobody:users which means that Plex itself can write but over smb Windows won't be able to.

Not entirely unexpected with a docker application, and the solution with any container is to access the appdata via the command prompt running as root.

Unfortunately that's where I fail miserably no experience with command prompt and command speak I'm outta my element there, will keep reading and looking

3 hours ago, mrbilky said:

Unfortunately that's where I fail miserably no experience with command prompt and command speak I'm outta my element there, will keep reading and looking

Use the Dolphin / Krusader docker applications.  Anyone that can copy / paste via windows can figure them out.

58 minutes ago, trurl said:

mc (Midnight Commander) is a built-in file manager you access from the command prompt. Google it.

Thanks for the advice I booted the server in gui mode and found mc seems clear enough will mess with it tomorrow also see that I can install it on my pc is there a benefit to running it from the server over my pc? Gonna start reading up command prompt programming looks like its gonna be needed more with unRAID

2 hours ago, mrbilky said:

Thanks for the advice I booted the server in gui mode and found mc seems clear enough will mess with it tomorrow also see that I can install it on my pc is there a benefit to running it from the server over my pc? Gonna start reading up command prompt programming looks like its gonna be needed more with unRAID

No need for GUI mode to run mc. And no point in running it on PC.

On 9/2/2017 at 1:16 PM, SavellM said:

On my PMP back clicking play, it goes black for a good 5-6 seconds (maybe longer) before the media plays back. Yes it has to transcode.

But on my old Synology box, with Plex as an app on a separate drive to media, it would play back in about 1 second, same transcode settings, same network.

So you're saying that everything works perfectly, but it takes up to 10 seconds to actually start.

While your drives are always spinning, it doesn't actually mean that the directory entries are still in RAM which means that unRaid has to scan each drive to figure out where exactly the file(s) are.  Easiest work around is to not worry about it (or installing Dynamix Cache Dirs to somewhat help with the problem).  Harder work around is instead of passing /mnt/user/Movies to instead pass /mnt to the container, then within Plex's library add each drive individually.

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

So you're saying that everything works perfectly, but it takes up to 10 seconds to actually start.

While your drives are always spinning, it doesn't actually mean that the directory entries are still in RAM which means that unRaid has to scan each drive to figure out where exactly the file(s) are.  Easiest work around is to not worry about it (or installing Dynamix Cache Dirs to somewhat help with the problem).  Harder work around is instead of passing /mnt/user/Movies to instead pass /mnt to the container, then within Plex's library add each drive individually.

Ye Plex works fine. But starting a new movie or something takes a good 10seconds or more.

My Synology was instantaneous.

I do have Dynamix Cache Dirs installed already.

Maybe it is not setup correctly, is there a guide to it? (I'm new to unRAID)

4 minutes ago, SavellM said:

Ye Plex works fine. But starting a new movie or something takes a good 10seconds or more.

My Synology was instantaneous.

I do have Dynamix Cache Dirs installed already.

Maybe it is not setup correctly, is there a guide to it? (I'm new to unRAID)

I think Squids suggestion to pass /mnt/ and add individual drives to your plex library instead of the user share should do the trick - definitely worth trying.

i presume your synology NAS had the data striped across all your drives (meaning it wouldn't have to locate the drive the specific movie is on). As I'm sure you know the trade off with unRAID is that if you loose 2 drives your data on the remaining drives is safe, whereas on a striped array you'd have lost everything. 

Hope that makes some sense! 

3 minutes ago, SavellM said:

Thanks guys,

Is there an easy way to change to /mnt/?

Or do I need to stop ALL plugins and adjust them all to use the same share?

Edit the container, and change the host mapping for Movies / TV shows / whatever to be /mnt instead of /mnt/user/Movies

You will have to redo all your libraries from scratch though.