[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Drats!  Big problem.  So I spent the last 7hrs letting Plex find my media via http://192.168.x.xx:32400/manage/index.html#

It found my movies and tv shows and music.  I tested a few movies and they played fine. I closed the window as I wanted to go back in and add photos.  I went into the docker and created a path to my photos, then restarted the service, went back into Plex at the above url, and my library is empty!  What the heck?   What did I or am doing wrong?

What you did was search for "Plex", then ignored the results that showed up and then had it search dockerHub, and then added it from there.  You're going to be best off to delete the existing container, then re-add Plex (but use one of the ones that comes up when you search).  Will make your life easier in the long run.

You know I think that's exactly what I did.  I couldn't figure out how to install the darn docker.  I deleted the docker and am starting from scratch.  I paid more attention this time and now figured out how to actually install the docker by clicking the little drive icon with the arrow. .. :)  Not sure why that slipped past me the first time.... 

Let's see what happens this time.

15 minutes ago, DigitalDivide said:

You know I think that's exactly what I did.  I couldn't figure out how to install the darn docker.  I deleted the docker and am starting from scratch.  I paid more attention this time and now figured out how to actually install the docker by clicking the little drive icon with the arrow. .. :)  Not sure why that slipped past me the first time.... 

Let's see what happens this time.

I don't know that it's really necessary, but I would also delete the plex docker image and the associated appdata folder. That way there won't be any remnants of the old install.

And also install the LSIO version.?

Edited by wgstarks

I'm just planning on running some tests.  I live in a  condo and the only one who will be accessing the server.  I'm not sure if there's a benefit to having it on my unraid server or just better off installing the server on my htpc or even just use Kodi.  My HTPC is the only machine accessing the music, movie, tv shows etc.  

It's still importing all my files, been going on since last night...

1 hour ago, zin105 said:

Old instructions for hardware transcoding includes changing permission of /dev/dri but I don't have such a file (folder?) on 6.4 RC.

on unraid or within the container. I didnt find one in unraid either. but I found it inside the plex container. You have a link tot he instructions you are trying to follow?

7 minutes ago, morbidpete said:

I have just gotten this to work. Here is what I did.

SSH into server perform these commands, no quotes

"modprobe i915"

"chmod -R 777 /dev/dri"

modify the docker container for plex and show advanced

Extra Parameters (No Quotes) "--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri"

I did enable "Privileged" however some folks stated earlier that wasn't required. Who cares it's working now!

2017-10-03_1445.png

16 minutes ago, CSeK said:

"modprobe i915"

"chmod -R 777 /dev/dri"

I did enable "Privileged" however some folks stated earlier that wasn't required. Who cares it's working now!

2017-10-03_1445.png

If you dont add those to your go file, you will have to ssh in every reboot and manually do it. 

20 minutes ago, CSeK said:

"modprobe i915"

"chmod -R 777 /dev/dri"

2017-10-03_1445.png

Is plexpass still required for hw transcoding?

It works for me in priviliged mode only, but the video quality is HORRIBLE, I mean at 8mbit 1080p transcode from bluray remux source,

it usually good, but without much macro blocking

BUT, every 5 second the quality changes to youtube 360p, or lower.... for a few seconds, than it back to passable (still little lower then CPU 8Mbit, but okish)

than back to youtube 240p...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqio89866qs5vf0/8mbit.png?dl=0

can this be a driver issue?

I wouldn't recommend this feature to anybody like this...

I've read about GPU transcode being slightly inferior to CPU transcode, and i'm bit of a video quality nerd, but this is beyond usable imho.

btw, any downsides to running the docker priviliged?

anyone managed to get hw transcode to work without priviliged mode?

thanks

so HW transcode is OK, but when the encoder runs out of 'bandwith', everything goes to shit?

only solution is brute force (with more bitrate?), but for remote media streaming it's not viable, cos the only reason for the transcode, is to save bandwith.

I can't believe how people find this usable...

the picture above is not even the worst I've seen in the past 5 minutes.

and when there is a scene change... No B-frames or anything?

whatever, I'm getting off topic

again, HUGE tanks for the linux help!

Edited by LSL1337
2 hours ago, LSL1337 said:

so HW transcode is OK, but when the encoder runs out of 'bandwith', everything goes to shit?

only solution is brute force (with more bitrate?), but for remote media streaming it's not viable, cos the only reason for the transcode, is to save bandwith.

I can't believe how people find this usable...

the picture above is not even the worst I've seen in the past 5 minutes.

and when there is a scene change... No B-frames or anything?

whatever, I'm getting off topic

again, HUGE tanks for the linux help!

What are you encoding from and to? 

I just tested a stream and it looked pretty good. Guardians of the galaxy 2 10+mbps 1080p hw transcoded to 4mbps 720p on a G4600 (hd630) kaby lake. 

I noticed that sometimes when I first start a stream, it looks like a 240p YouTube stream for about 30-60 sec and then it magically fixes itself. 

10 hours ago, aptalca said:

What are you encoding from and to? 

I just tested a stream and it looked pretty good. Guardians of the galaxy 2 10+mbps 1080p hw transcoded to 4mbps 720p on a G4600 (hd630) kaby lake. 

I noticed that sometimes when I first start a stream, it looks like a 240p YouTube stream for about 30-60 sec and then it magically fixes itself. 

from 1080p x264 (15Mbit) to plex 8mbit (I guess h264)

it starts at 240p for me as well, but after 2 sec, it's ok. but every 10-20 seconds, when there is proper movement, it goes back to youtube 240p levels of macroblocking.

i'm gonna try it out on windows with nvidia gpu, whether or not it's the same.

is it possible, that I have old drivers for the gpu or something? I'm on latest unraid (no beta)

I'm on 4370T ( HD 4600)

EDIT:

Ok, IT's seems like it's a linux thing. (https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/290243/hardware-transcoding-linux-artefacts#latest)

The drivers are not very good on linux for intel it seems.

Maybe they'll update it. There is a 2.0 pre release (few days ago).

Hopefully it will be better, and plex will include it in the docker. (right now 1.8.1 is in the container, and it overrides the OS version (as per my basic understanding after a few hours of digging around).

Edited by LSL1337
30 minutes ago, saarg said:

It works without priviliged mode if you change permission on /dev/dri to nobody:users. 

when I tried it, (putty portable), it detected the (spacebar) before and after 'nobody:users' as an extra character 'ú' so it was 'únobody:usersú', and the command did not run, so I only managed the 777 command.

today i'll try it in the GO script, maybe it works there.

do I still need the 777 line as well?

what about i915. Isn't i965 better/newer, or is that a whole other thing?

thanks!

Edited by LSL1337

1 minute ago, zin105 said:

Ok I lost all interest in HW transcoding. I tried transcoding to 720p 4mbps and there's a lot of artifacting every once in a while.

Don't give up just yet, it works much better on windows.

We just need updated(meaning better) linux drivers for windows, but it could take months, or even years....

so eventually...