[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

40 minutes ago, csmstyle said:

Can someone point me in the right direction on installing the Docker? I keep getting an out of space error during installation. I have plenty of space from what I can see.

plex.JPG

What do you see that makes you think you have plenty of space?

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and post the complete zip. Also might be helpful to post your docker run as seen here:

And while your there you might check out the rest of the Docker FAQ.

am i doing something wrong? i get this when i try these commands to enable HW decoding.

root@Ruby:~# modprobe i915
root@Ruby:~# chmod -R 777 /dev/dri
chmod: cannot access '/dev/dri': No such file or directory

My server is:

M/B: Supermicro - X9SCL/X9SCM
CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1275 V2 @ 3.50GHz

Running 6.4rc14

1 hour ago, Ockingshay said:

am i doing something wrong? i get this when i try these commands to enable HW decoding.

My server is:

Running 6.4rc14

I haven't read back in this Docker thread history, but is the Docker configured to pass the GPU device to the container (--device /dev/dri:/dev/dri)?

edit: link to post describing complete process.

Edited by unevent

If i try the extra parameter i get when it tries to start:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="Plex" --net="host" -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "PUID"="99" -e "PGID"="100" -e "VERSION"="plexpass" -v "/mnt/user/":"/media":rw -v "/mnt/cache/dockerapps/Plex/":"/config":rw -v "/mnt/user/Cache_Backup/Plex/":"/backups":rw --device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri linuxserver/plex

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: linux runtime spec devices: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dri": no such file or directory.

Maybe my CPU is too old?

EDIT: It actually looks to be a problem with my motherboard and it's onboard VGA. The problem i have is if i disable it, i lose IPMI, which as this server is locked under a stairs i need it for access.

I can live without HW decoding, unless someone else has been successful at getting this to work with a supermicro mobo and xeon igpu.

unRAID only gives me the matrox gpu onboard VGA if i try to set up a VM

Edited by Ockingshay

I was playing with Plex as a dvr and I noticed that I am not able to delete the files it creates using File Explorer on a Windows pc (user share set to secure). It appears to be a permissions issue. PUID is 99 and PGID is 100 and this is the same as the Deluge docker, but I have no problems deleting files created by Deluge. Any ideas?

17 hours ago, Ockingshay said:

Yeah, https://ark.intel.com/products/65726/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1275-v2-8M-Cache-3_50-GHz

suppose to, not ever tried it though.

maybe I have to enable it in my mobo.

Doesn't look like the motherboard supports using the integrated graphics in the cpu. It uses its own Matrox graphics. 

It's also mentioned that your CPU isn't recommended to use.

So you can't make use of hardware transcode games. 

Since enabling HW decoding I keep getting this in my Plex Logs:

libva info: VA-API version 1.0.0

libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_0
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0

Over and over again, every few mins.

Is this normal?

4 hours ago, naturalcarr said:

Hello, I want to rollback to a previous version of PMS, is there a version list somewhere? The one on the docke hub shows the updates to the docker hub (ie. 95, 96, 97, etc) but I want to find a list of docker versions (like 1.2.7.2987-1bef33a).

I hunted around the plex forums a while back. Never found anything but a bunch of other people asking the same question.

12 hours ago, naturalcarr said:

Hello, I want to rollback to a previous version of PMS, is there a version list somewhere? The one on the docke hub shows the updates to the docker hub (ie. 95, 96, 97, etc) but I want to find a list of docker versions (like 1.2.7.2987-1bef33a).

Go to the appdata share and look in Plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Crash Reports

You will find folders for your previous versions named as the release version.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
11 hours ago, Leifgg said:

Go to the appdata share and look in Plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Crash Reports

You will find folders for your previous versions named as the release version.

That is super useful, thanks, Leifgg. 

In the mean time, I'm going to write a script to store plex's version in a log or something, in case I go an entire update cycle with no crashes.

On 08/12/2017 at 4:41 PM, SavellM said:

Since enabling HW decoding I keep getting this in my Plex Logs:

libva info: VA-API version 1.0.0

libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_0
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0

Over and over again, every few mins.

Is this normal?

Anyone?

I've also started to see this: 

dbus[273]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

And this:

Critical: libusb_init failed

Edited by SavellM

hi, as my server needs alot of cpu while transcoding i tested one of my shields as 2nd server just for external live tv transcoding ... but thats not really a solution

cause it really often just stalls ... so i would like to know if its possible to use a cheap GT1030 nvidia card todo the job ? and what all needs to be done ...

my internal intel gpu is used by a vm ... or may easier to use the 1030 for the VM and the internal for transcoding ..and so on ...

i ve readed the intel quick sync aint so good for quality, many artefacts ... but didnt really saw any nvidia users therefore ...

Edited by alturismo
On 10/25/2017 at 6:26 PM, aptalca said:

For intel, follow the instructions in this thread about fixing permissions, then you enable the setting in plex gui. 

On unraid, you can't use non intel gpus for hw transcoding in docker because the necessary drivers for them are not loaded. 

You can,  however, pass them through to a VM and do hw transcoding in plex in a VM. You can load the drivers that way. 

As mentioned earlier in this thread...

Should I have anything under "Transcoder temporary directory"?  The reason I ask is I have a few MKV files won't play through Plex web or on my friends device remotely? The file plays fine on my AppleTV and through VLC on my computer but it won't play on his AppleTV or through Plex web. I have plenty of free space on the drive.  The issue seems to be the files are all on disk 7.  Disk 7 is fine, I ran a smart report.

Edited by squirrellydw
On 12/13/2017 at 11:57 AM, alturismo said:

i ve readed the intel quick sync aint so good for quality, many artefacts ...

I am using hardware transcoding on my Intel Xeon with integrated GPU and Quick Sync support.  The quality is good and I do not see a lot of artifacts.  Those mentioning artifiact issues are transcoding from 1080p down to 480p or to a much lower bitrate than the original.  If you are are transcoding 1080p to 720p  or 1080 to 1080 for example with a target bitrate of 4Mbps or higher, you really should not see a lot or artifacts.  I have done many very acceptable 3 Mbps transcodes as well.