[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

15 hours ago, trurl said:

Post diagnostics and docker run command. See Docker FAQ sticky.

Thanks for the direction, I think these should do the trick. I included the plex debug also. 

A bit of an update:

After restarting the docker another time I was able to watch 2 episodes (progress). On the 3rd I received the following error from plex:

"An error occurred trying to play this item.
shaka1001 (Network)"

Thanks again. 

docker run command.txt

plex debug log.txt

Edited by viperguy212

I searched for GPU/Hardware acceleration, but was still slightly confused on whether or not GPU acceleration was supported in this container. I have a GTX970 connected to my unraid server as my primary video output (MB/CPU does not have an integrated GPU). I've enabled hardware acceleration in the container, but will this use the GPU without any additional configuration, or will I need to build my own container for plex?

28 minutes ago, ranasats said:

I searched for GPU/Hardware acceleration, but was still slightly confused on whether or not GPU acceleration was supported in this container. I have a GTX970 connected to my unraid server as my primary video output (MB/CPU does not have an integrated GPU). I've enabled hardware acceleration in the container, but will this use the GPU without any additional configuration, or will I need to build my own container for plex?

It's only integrated graphics that are supported on unraid now. No drivers for nvidia/amd. 

I'm not sure how the support in Plex is either with nvidia/amd. 

If you want to test, the best thing would be to pass the GPU through to a VM and install Plex.

9 hours ago, saarg said:

It's only integrated graphics that are supported on unraid now. No drivers for nvidia/amd. 

I'm not sure how the support in Plex is either with nvidia/amd. 

If you want to test, the best thing would be to pass the GPU through to a VM and install Plex.

Plex only (officially) supports intel at the moment. 

For nvidia one can install the nvidia drivers on both the host and inside the plex container to make it work. However, you probably won't be able to install them on unraid. 

On 1/5/2018 at 12:29 AM, aptalca said:

Plex only (officially) supports intel at the moment. 

For nvidia one can install the nvidia drivers on both the host and inside the plex container to make it work. However, you probably won't be able to install them on unraid. 

Dang, I must rethink my Unraid choice then. The main purpose of my server is to be a Plex/media server. I have a 970 which was working fantastic on windows 10 to do multiple transcodes in addition to my Xeon. Might have to either make a windows 10 VM for just plex and pass through the GPU or stick with just windows instead of unraid if the performance isn't as good...

Thanks so much for your input!

just a quick question.... i currently run my plex docker completely from my cache drive. As i understand this can cause high disk usage when all the meta data/ transcoding etc is done on the cache drive. I have read into the whole ram disk option but with 16gb I'm not sure i have the capacity for that to be viable. Would it be recommended to install another ssd as an unassigned device to run solely my plex meta data and transcoding to lower the load on my cache drive? 

I have 2 fairly new 1tb evos installed as the cache drives so i have no immediate concerns but i wouldnt like to burn them out with over use if i can help it. 

17 hours ago, ranasats said:

Dang, I must rethink my Unraid choice then. The main purpose of my server is to be a Plex/media server. I have a 970 which was working fantastic on windows 10 to do multiple transcodes in addition to my Xeon. Might have to either make a windows 10 VM for just plex and pass through the GPU or stick with just windows instead of unraid if the performance isn't as good...

Thanks so much for your input!

Also keep in mind that plex only does hw encode on nvidia, not decode (silly omission of a flag in their ffmpeg build). I let them know about it a few times a long time ago but they dismissed it by saying they don't officially support nvidia. 

Plus, most consumer nvidia cards are limited to two simultaneous transcodes. 

Although I tested all sorts of hw transcode options, I'm still using sw transcode on my production server, which can handle at least 7 simultaneously. 

I'll probably consider switching to hw transcode only when hevc content becomes ubiquitous, because sw transcode won't cut it for that. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, aptalca said:

Also keep in mind that plex only does hw encode on nvidia, not decode (silly omission of a flag in their ffmpeg build). I let them know about it a few times a long time ago but they dismissed it by saying they don't officially support nvidia. 

Plus, most consumer nvidia cards are limited to two simultaneous transcodes. 

Although I tested all sorts of hw transcode options, I'm still using sw transcode on my production server, which can handle at least 7 simultaneously. 

I'll probably consider switching to hw transcode only when hevc content becomes ubiquitous, because sw transcode won't cut it for that. 

Nice, I'll keep that in mind as well. I actually did a test, my Xeon 5690 was able to transcode 6-7 streams and CPU usage was at 100%, no one said they experienced any lag or loss of quality. I think 3 streams were 1080p and the other 4 were 720p. That's through docker. At most I've had 10ish connections but that rarely happens so I think I'd be okay with keeping it on docker.

Thanks for the development of this =) Everything works great.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, 

I hope this hasn’t been asked too many times, but I couldn’t find anything in a search. I have been running the needo Docker container for PMS for a couple of years, and received notice that it’s deprecated and I should switch to a different container.  I’m already running several other linuxserverio containers, so I would like to switch. 

When I switched from plexpy to the beta of tautulli, I was able to switch the repository and it pulled the new data and it worked. Would I be able to do that with Plex as well, or is there a more involved process to convert from one PMS docker to another?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, cardo said:

Hi All, 

I hope this hasn’t been asked too many times, but I couldn’t find anything in a search. I have been running the needo Docker container for PMS for a couple of years, and received notice that it’s deprecated and I should switch to a different container.  I’m already running several other linuxserverio containers, so I would like to switch. 

When I switched from plexpy to the beta of tautulli, I was able to switch the repository and it pulled the new data and it worked. Would I be able to do that with Plex as well, or is there a more involved process to convert from one PMS docker to another?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Its better to install our container from CA. Make a backup of your appdata folder before you begin.

I do not know if its the same folder structure on needos appdata, so you are on your own.

If you don't want to rescan your library, you need to use the same volume mappings for the media as you currently have.

8 hours ago, saarg said:

Its better to install our container from CA. Make a backup of your appdata folder before you begin.

I do not know if its the same folder structure on needos appdata, so you are on your own.

If you don't want to rescan your library, you need to use the same volume mappings for the media as you currently have.

Yes, this should work fine. I switched from needo just like this quite some time ago.

Setup LinuxServer's Plex docker via CA and immediately after it is stating that it is out of date.

If I update it, a few hours after that occurs, I start getting errors stating too many files are open (in both the docker and syslog) and it causes the server to crash.

I'm now on the LinuxServer Plex docker setup via CA but have not triggered the update it is requesting. What information do you need regarding this issue? I'd like to avoid updating and having the server crash again if possible (unlikely I'm sure).

3 hours ago, GroxyPod said:

Setup LinuxServer's Plex docker via CA and immediately after it is stating that it is out of date.

If I update it, a few hours after that occurs, I start getting errors stating too many files are open (in both the docker and syslog) and it causes the server to crash.

I'm now on the LinuxServer Plex docker setup via CA but have not triggered the update it is requesting. What information do you need regarding this issue? I'd like to avoid updating and having the server crash again if possible (unlikely I'm sure).

That's not an issue related to our container. It's unraid related. I'm sure @Squid knows how to fix it. 

4 hours ago, GroxyPod said:

Do the update, once the too many files open appears, post your diagnostics

this

11 hours ago, cardo said:

So, you just set up the new container and pointed it at your existing PMS folder

exact same volume mappings for everything.

If you change the appdata mapping you will have to rebuild the plex library. If you change the media folder mapping(s) the plex library won't be able to find the files.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

this

exact same volume mappings for everything.

If you change the appdata mapping you will have to rebuild the plex library. If you change the media folder mapping(s) the plex library won't be able to find the files.

Excellent, thank you!

im new to dockers and im just not that smart. Is there a way to search this thread? i have no idea what key 1 and key 2 and key 3 are and im not sure how to get plex to scan my library of one of my shares...the answer probably lies within these pages but ive been reading for a while and searching all over the internet with different wording and cant find my answers. thanks

8 hours ago, carlos28355 said:

im new to dockers and im just not that smart. Is there a way to search this thread? i have no idea what key 1 and key 2 and key 3 are and im not sure how to get plex to scan my library of one of my shares...the answer probably lies within these pages but ive been reading for a while and searching all over the internet with different wording and cant find my answers. thanks

Instead of reading here try the Docker FAQ

• Like 1

alright alright i failed. Im able to get my movies added to the library but when i try the same steps for television it crashes the entire docker. i go to add another path and i name it television then i put /media for container just like i did for my movies. then the host path i navigate to my TV folder and apply and thats when the command failes and goes crazy

Docker.jpg

13 minutes ago, carlos28355 said:

alright alright i failed. Im able to get my movies added to the library but when i try the same steps for television it crashes the entire docker. i go to add another path and i name it television then i put /media for container just like i did for my movies. then the host path i navigate to my TV folder and apply and thats when the command failes and goes crazy

Post your docker run command as seen here: