[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

17 minutes ago, deuxcolors said:

I did both:
-I already had /transcode set to the cache drive, and I remapped it to unRAID's /tmp

-Then I added a /tmp path and mapped it to unRAID's /tmp since I read that the encoder was using /tmp within plex so I gave it access to RAM.

Hmm, interesting that you had to add a /tmp to /tmp mapping in addition to the /transcode to /tmp.  I have only the latter and things configured as I explained previously and trancodes are definitely happening in RAM as shown below:

image.png.25ef58673c452d6a7da13f48f6aca2a2.png

No additional /tmp to /tmp mapping was needed and I am specifying /transcode as path in Plex.

Hmm, interesting that you had to add a /tmp to /tmp mapping in addition to the /transcode to /tmp.  I have only the latter and things configured as I explained previously and trancodes are definitely happening in RAM as shown below:

image.png.25ef58673c452d6a7da13f48f6aca2a2.png

No additional /tmp to /tmp mapping was needed and I am specifying /transcode as path in Plex.
Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either.....

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

On 1/28/2018 at 10:25 PM, Hoopster said:

deuxcolors is referring to mapping a container path to a host path for transcoding purposes and then specifying the container path in the Plex server transcoder settings.

/tmp is RAM on the unRAID server.

He mapped /tmp to /tmp.  In my case I have /transcode mapped to /tmp but the concept is the same.

Edit Plex docker settings and do the following:

1 - Edit the appropriate host path variable (or add a new one) for your transcode mapping.

2 - Enter the desired container path name (I used /transcode, deuxcolors used /tmp) and enter a host path of /tmp if you want to transcode to RAM.

image.thumb.png.1bbe34139faffa17e68cb061f963aa7a.png

3 - Click Save button in Edit Configuration.

4 - Click Apply button in Docker Edit screen.

5. Open Plex docker WebUI

6. Click on Settings

7. Select Server Settings

8. Select Transcoder

image.thumb.png.7dd62e75b127f679ba6ad539262838b3.png

9. Enter the name of the container path you specified in step two as the Transcoder temporary directory. deuxcolors mapped /tmp to /tmp so his entry here is /tmp

This tells Plex to transcode videos to the /tmp directory on the host which is in RAM.  This could also be done to a directory on your cache drive by specifying the Host Path as something like /mnt/user/cache/plex/transcode in step two.  The important thing is that in Plex transcode settings you specify the name of the Container path variable as the Transcoder location.

10. Click Save Changes button

Thanks for these detailed instructions. I hope I followed them correctly. ha ha. Anyways i think i did exactly what you said but I still cant stream from any device

1 hour ago, deuxcolors said:

Nope. Sorry I was unclear.

Leave it in Plex as /transcode

Add a path to the container /tmp to /tmp (in addition to /transcode to /tmp

Then test a video.

What deuxcolors says to do here is worth trying.  It certainly cannot hurt anything.  However, according to the post he quoted, the extra mapping of /tmp to /tmp supposedly addresses the inability to play any video with EAC3 audio.  However, you stated you can't stream anything to any device.  Your problem is not related to just content with EAC3 audio, is this correct?

4 hours ago, carlos28355 said:

ok please forgive my ignorance. is this correct? I also changed plex back to /transcode

how does this look? if it looks correct. i still have the problem :S

transcode.jpg

tmp.jpg

plex.jpg

Not sure I understand what you would like to do, if it’s transcoding to disk or to RAM.

If you have the Transcoder temporary directory in Plex set to /transcode then you should also have a folder mapping with a Container Path: set to /transcode

If the Transcoder temporary directory in Plex is set to something else then the folder mapping for the Container Path: should be set to the same.

If they aren’t the same, you will transcode to disk and in this case the docker image. Depending on the size of the docker image you could run out of space when transcoding.

The setting that configures the transcoding location is the Host Path: If it’s set to /tmp you will transcode to RAM and hopefully you have enough RAM to do this.

If you prefer transcoding to disk, you need to configure Host Path: with the location (folder) that you would like to use. Could be something like /mnt/user/appdata/transcode or similar. Preferably a folder located on an SSD disk but that’s up to you.

7 hours ago, deuxcolors said:

Yeah. That is correct.

Try redownloading/force update plex.

I'm out of ideas sorry.

tried a force update and same issue...thanks anyways

6 hours ago, Leifgg said:

Not sure I understand what you would like to do, if it’s transcoding to disk or to RAM.

If you have the Transcoder temporary directory in Plex set to /transcode then you should also have a folder mapping with a Container Path: set to /transcode

If the Transcoder temporary directory in Plex is set to something else then the folder mapping for the Container Path: should be set to the same.

If they aren’t the same, you will transcode to disk and in this case the docker image. Depending on the size of the docker image you could run out of space when transcoding.

The setting that configures the transcoding location is the Host Path: If it’s set to /tmp you will transcode to RAM and hopefully you have enough RAM to do this.

If you prefer transcoding to disk, you need to configure Host Path: with the location (folder) that you would like to use. Could be something like /mnt/user/appdata/transcode or similar. Preferably a folder located on an SSD disk but that’s up to you.

Im not sure what id like to do either ha ha. im just trying suggestions to get this to work. how much ram would you recommend for doing the transcoding? Im going to get an ssd cache drive soon but cant right now. do you have any suggestions that I could try to get my plex working again? Thanks

6 hours ago, Leifgg said:

If I understand the gist of carlos28355's posts in this thread correctly, he is unable to get Plex to play any file to any client.  The transcoding exercise was just his latest attempt (following input from another user) to get his files to play.

@carlos28355 Has your Plex server ever been working correctly?  If so, what changes have you made since then?  If not, it might be a good idea to see your entire Plex Docker config. 

Perhaps you should completely remove Plex and delete all the appdata files related to Plex and start over, one step at a time. Create a single host path for a single library in the Docker and configure that in Plex before moving on to other libraries.  Transcode to disk before trying it in RAM, etc. 

Your situation is, obviously, not normal and something, somewhere must be misconfigured.  Plex is generally not difficult to configure and "just works."  I know that is little consolation for  you since it is clearly not working.

45 minutes ago, carlos28355 said:

tried a force update and same issue...thanks anyways

Im not sure what id like to do either ha ha. im just trying suggestions to get this to work. how much ram would you recommend for doing the transcoding? Im going to get an ssd cache drive soon but cant right now. do you have any suggestions that I could try to get my plex working again? Thanks

What I would recommend as first step is to setup transcoding to disk. If you have cash disk use that one (any type, don't need to be an SSD), if not do it to the array. Ask if you need help.

You shouldn't try transcoding to RAM until you have Plex working first.

You can read more about transcoding to RAM here:

2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

@carlos28355 Has your Plex server ever been working correctly?  If so, what changes have you made since then?  If not, it might be a good idea to see your entire Plex Docker config. 

Perhaps you should completely remove Plex and delete all the appdata files related to Plex and start over, one step at a time. Create a single host path for a single library in the Docker and configure that in Plex before moving on to other libraries.  Transcode to disk before trying it in RAM, etc. 

Your situation is, obviously, not normal and something, somewhere must be misconfigured.  Plex is generally not difficult to configure and "just works."  I know that is little consolation for  you since it is clearly not working.

short history is im new to dockers. i had plex installed as a plugin and I couldnt get it to stay connected when i rebooted my server. so someone suggested installing as a docker and i did that and it was streaming through roku and apple tv and all seemed well. So i decided to reboot the server to make sure it stayed connected and thats when i couldnt stream anymore. so there werent any changes made prior to rebooting the server (that i can think of. i dont believe i would have changed anything because it was working). I have removed the docker and added it again. but i did not remove app data files. i think this is the next logical step to remove and remove app data folder. thank you. 

2 hours ago, Leifgg said:

What I would recommend as first step is to setup transcoding to disk. If you have cash disk use that one (any type, don't need to be an SSD), if not do it to the array. Ask if you need help.

You shouldn't try transcoding to RAM until you have Plex working first.

You can read more about transcoding to RAM here:

alright that sounds good. thank you very much for the info. 

2 hours ago, carlos28355 said:

I have removed the docker and added it again. but i did not remove app data files. i think this is the next logical step to remove and remove app data folder. thank you. 

The only way to truly install a new docker cleanly is to blow away the appdata folder related to that docker.  Installing the docker again does download the latest files, but, if it is not to a clean appdata folder, you may have some older config files hanging around that could cause problems.  Usually, removing the appdata docker folder is not an absolute necessity before resinstalling; however, in your case I recommend it as it will ensure you are really starting fresh.

23 hours ago, carlos28355 said:

i uninstalled the docker and im deleting plex out of my appdata folder...there was 90k files that it had to delete but the problem is that its not deleting all of them. how can i force a delete of those files? thanks

How are you deleting?  The best way to ensure a full and complete removal is from the command line (web terminal from unRAID, PuTTY, server console or some other way to access command line).  Make sure you are logged in as "root"

cd /mnt/user/appdata (or whatever the path to your appdata folder is)

rm -r plex (or whatever your plex folder is named) this will recursively remove the plex folder and everything in it.

Edited by Hoopster
8 hours ago, Hoopster said:

How are you deleting?  The best way to ensure a full and complete removal is from the command line (web terminal from unRAID, PuTTY, server console or some other way to access command line).  May sure you are logged in as "root"

cd /mnt/user/appdata (or whatever the path to your appdata folder is)

rm -r plex (or whatever your flex folder is named) this will recursively remove the plex folder and everything in it.

i was just deleting through windows. thanks for the info and thanks for the commands to delete it. its all gone now...ill try to start over