[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

13 hours ago, trurl said:

Have you gone there yet?

Yes - but didn't manage to get a response.

In the end, I backed up the appdata folder, create a fresh Plex install and copied the plugin support, media & metadata folders. This seemed to sort it out.

Still have a couple of issues that I might need a hand with (can't get remote access to work, but could be an Unraid network config issue), and problem sharing libraries - but I'll do a bit more troubleshooting before I pop back!

OK - could do with a bit of help on this bit if anyone is able to.

I can't currently get remote access to work - but my hunch is that it's my unraid network interface setup

Remote access just won't succeed - I'm using Unifi router, with a modem in bridge mode, so there should not be a double-NAT issue.

In Plex, i've set 'manual port' to 32400 (I've tried letting uPnP take care of it, and I've tried an alternative port - same results)

In Unifi, this port is forwarded to the local IP

if I browse to [public facing ip]:32400/web, the plex web interface successfully loads - so I think that rules out a forwarding / nat issue

I also have (had) another plex install on another machine, which worked just fine, including remote access. So reckon it's something local to the docker/server

I've attached my eth0 setup - it was a bonded connection (bond0) which I hastily turned back to a regular one when I was having a different problem which I thought might be network related, and wonder if I've done something funky which is blocking communications.

I'm unsure if the logs can help point towards the issue, but I get a little lost sifting the the logs - not really sure what I'm looking for!

unraid-net.PNG

plex2.png

unifi.PNG

Edited by extrobe

So, after 3 solid days of trying to get this working - I finally worked out what the underlying issue was - both for being able to 'claim' my original server, form sharing libraries, and remote connections. My MTU size was defaulting to 1500, but was evidently too high! Changed it to 1484 (well, used MSS Clamping instead) and instantly worked.

Yikes!

3 minutes ago, hmgnsd said:

In order to backup my appdata, I had to chown -R nobody:nogroup (which is I hope right!?) when I come to restoring the files to a new Docker instance of Plex, will it sort the permissions itself on install, or do I need to change permissions back?

chown -R nobody:users is the correct permissions for this container.  I THINK it does permissions at runtime, but that may take a LONG time......

Using Dolphin Docker to copy and I got ‘could not create symlink’ and then the file address to the unassigned device I was copying and ‘please check permissions’, do I need to have ownership of the destination as well? I thought that would be default on a blank unassigned device?

I keep getting a warning from the Fix Common Problems plugin.

Docker application plex has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option

My Plex /config path is mapped to /mnt/disks/plex/, which is a SSD unassigned device. If I edit the Plex docker, there isn't any option to set/select RW Slave for this path.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Untitled2.jpg

12 minutes ago, subagon said:

I keep getting a warning from the Fix Common Problems plugin.

Docker application plex has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option

My Plex /config path is mapped to /mnt/disks/plex/, which is a SSD unassigned device. If I edit the Plex docker, there isn't any option to set/select RW Slave for this path.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

Don't you just click in the box and it allows you to browse?

53 minutes ago, subagon said:

Thank you!

I must comment that this is a poor GUI setup. I would suggest that all Edit buttons be displayed in either Basic or Advanced mode. having a mix is confusing.

What would be better is having the system realize the path is on an unassigned device, and adjusting the setting automatically: 

Just did a reboot of my server this Morning & not I can't seem to access the plex server..... tried a force update & a couple restarts on the container...

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing...
No update required
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
Starting dbus-daemon
[services.d] done.
dbus[278]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

Plex Media Server is already running. Will not start...
Starting Avahi daemon
Found user 'avahi' (UID 106) and group 'avahi' (GID 107).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.32-rc starting up.
No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv6 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface veth99ca23c.IPv6 with address fe80::f0ee:48ff:fe53:dcbe.
New relevant interface veth99ca23c.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface vethd5d7bae.IPv6 with address fe80::f4:6ff:fefb:1659.
New relevant interface vethd5d7bae.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface vethf3919ea.IPv6 with address fe80::e8cd:28ff:fef7:fe05.
New relevant interface vethf3919ea.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv6 with address fe80::42:46ff:fe64:da30.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bond0.IPv6 with address fe80::230:48ff:fe7b:c13c.
New relevant interface bond0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bond0.IPv4 with address 192.168.0.50.
New relevant interface bond0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for fe80::f0ee:48ff:fe53:dcbe on veth99ca23c.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::f4:6ff:fefb:1659 on vethd5d7bae.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::e8cd:28ff:fef7:fe05 on vethf3919ea.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::42:46ff:fe64:da30 on docker0.*.
Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::230:48ff:fe7b:c13c on bond0.*.
Registering new address record for 192.168.0.50 on bond0.IPv4.
Server startup complete. Host name is Tower.local. Local service cookie is 2689148868.
Server startup complete. Host name is Tower.local. Local service cookie is 2689148868.

7 hours ago, clowrym said:

Just did a reboot of my server this Morning & not I can't seem to access the plex server..... tried a force update & a couple restarts on the container...

_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

GID/UID

No update required
[cont-init.d] done.
Starting dbus-daemon
[services.d] done.
dbus[278]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

Plex Media Server is already running. Will not start...
Starting Avahi daemon
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv6 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface veth99ca23c.IPv6 with address fe80::f0ee:48ff:fe53:dcbe.
New relevant interface veth99ca23c.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface vethd5d7bae.IPv6 with address fe80::f4:6ff:fefb:1659.
New relevant interface vethd5d7bae.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface vethf3919ea.IPv6 with address fe80::e8cd:28ff:fef7:fe05.
New relevant interface vethf3919ea.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv6 with address fe80::42:46ff:fe64:da30.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bond0.IPv6 with address fe80::230:48ff:fe7b:c13c.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bond0.IPv4 with address 192.168.0.50.
New relevant interface bond0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Registering new address record for fe80::f0ee:48ff:fe53:dcbe on veth99ca23c.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::f4:6ff:fefb:1659 on vethd5d7bae.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::e8cd:28ff:fef7:fe05 on vethf3919ea.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::42:46ff:fe64:da30 on docker0.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::230:48ff:fe7b:c13c on bond0.*.
Registering new address record for 192.168.0.50 on bond0.IPv4.

According to the log, the server is up and running. Check your connection and/or the plex media server log in the config folder

:( help!

Hey guys... So I just ran an update on my Plex server and the docker itself completely disappeared... how can I bring it back... or if I can't, is there a way to recreate what I had... losing all the media tracking will be a nightmare. 

I may have completely fucked myself when I added the docker to the system again, because the orphaned docker container also disappeared.. any idea's?

All the original config files are there, maybe if I map the new dockers config directory to that? 

Edited by Addy
53 minutes ago, Addy said:

:( help!

Hey guys... So I just ran an update on my Plex server and the docker itself completely disappeared... how can I bring it back... or if I can't, is there a way to recreate what I had... losing all the media tracking will be a nightmare. 

I may have completely fucked myself when I added the docker to the system again, because the orphaned docker container also disappeared.. any idea's?

All the original config files are there, maybe if I map the new dockers config directory to that? 

If the PlexmediaServer folder still exists in your appdata folder, you should be fine.

Remove any existing dockers. Create a new one using 'my templates' (eg, my-PlexMediaServer) - this should re-use all the mappings you had before. Spin it up - give it a couple of mins to sort itself out, then try connecting. If you still can't connect, check the docker logs

Edited by extrobe
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, extrobe said:

If the PlexmediaServer folder still exists in your appdata folder, you should be fine.

Remove any existing dockers. Create a new one using 'my templates' (eg, my-PlexMediaServer) - this should re-use all the mappings you had before. Spin it up - give it a couple of mins to sort itself out, then try connecting. If you still can't connect, check the docker logs

Ah, easy as piss.. thanks mate!

Playback Error

Conversion failed. The transcoder crashed or failed to start up.

Anyone happen to be having this problem with Plex Live?

Transcoding files works perfectly fine.

Edit: for the first play after a restart of the container i can get about 5-10 seconds out of it before i get the error, any attempts after that last barely 2 seconds.

Edited by Shamalamadindong

Need a little help.

I am trying to move my Plex installation from serverA to serverB.

I copied over the appdata folder to the new server.

Installed the my_plex template.

Tweaked the mappings a little to match new server.

And started the docker.

But the WebUI refuses to connect.

And in the log it continues to say "Starting Plex Media Server." over and over - updating every 15 seconds or so. See detailed log below.

Any help appreciated. How do I debug this to understand what might be going wrong.

The server name is different and the IP address is different, everything else is same.

Thanks!

_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

GID/UID

#####################################################
# Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web #
# and restart the docker, because there was no #
# preference file found, possibly first startup. #
#####################################################

[cont-init.d] done.
Starting dbus-daemon
dbus[271]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

[services.d] done.
Starting Avahi daemon

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface vnet0.IPv6 with address fe80::fc54:ff:fec8:a4c0.
New relevant interface vnet0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
New relevant interface virbr0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv6 with address fe80::7804:13ff:fec6:9dc6.
New relevant interface br0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv4 with address 192.168.1.252.
New relevant interface br0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bond0.IPv6 with address fe80::7285:c2ff:fe54:d3c3.
Registering new address record for fe80::fc54:ff:fec8:a4c0 on vnet0.*.
Registering new address record for 192.168.122.1 on virbr0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::7804:13ff:fec6:9dc6 on br0.*.
Registering new address record for 192.168.1.252 on br0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::7285:c2ff:fe54:d3c3 on bond0.*.
Server startup complete. Host name is merlin.local. Local service cookie is 3021989262.
Got SIGTERM, quitting.
Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface vnet0.IPv6 with address fe80::fc54:ff:fec8:a4c0.
Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv6 with address fe80::7804:13ff:fec6:9dc6.
Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv4 with address 192.168.1.252.
Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface bond0.IPv6 with address fe80::7285:c2ff:fe54:d3c3.
avahi-daemon 0.6.32-rc exiting.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] syncing disks.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.

45 minutes ago, SSD said:

Need a little help.

I am trying to move my Plex installation from serverA to serverB.

I copied over the appdata folder to the new server.

Installed the my_plex template.

Tweaked the mappings a little to match new server.

And started the docker.

But the WebUI refuses to connect.

And in the log it continues to say "Starting Plex Media Server." over and over - updating every 15 seconds or so. See detailed log below.

Any help appreciated. How do I debug this to understand what might be going wrong.

The server name is different and the IP address is different, everything else is same.

Thanks!

No damned idea, only thing I can think of is delete Preferences.xml and restart the container.

I had reserved 25% more space for the metadata, and copied the old to the new and it fit (as expected).

But seems Plex wanted to do some database update and it immediately ran out of space. Turns out BTRFS was taking about 25% more space to store than XFS! So it used up all of the excess and the upgrade failed.

Going back to XFS for the metadata. I am keeping in a loopback file to avoid the huge file count and associated headaches on the cache drive.