[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I have all my dockers setup to backup docker data using CA at 9am on a Monday - this has finished now, but I've found myself in a bit of a jam as my broadband has died and I'm told it might be a while before its fixed by an engineer.

As the docker is set to download the latest version of plex on startup this is obviously failing due to lack of broadband, is there anyway I can bypass the attempt to upgrade plex so I can use plex in the meantime?

Hope that makes sense, as not had much sleep!!

Hi Guys, I feel bad posting for the first time in the support area with a problem rather than a praise. So let me say first of all - I appreciate all the work and effort that is put into supporting this docker and features :)

Now let me get to my problem and hope someone has a great idea:

I've been running Plex server on unraid for about 6 months without any issues whatsoever. However within the last week or 2 I get frequent Plex crashes and the only thing I can see is within the unraid log file is this:

CPU: 7 PID: 21779 Comm: Plex Media Serv Tainted: G      D         4.14.26-unRAID #1

This message appears every time Plex crashes. Within unraid the docker appears to be still working fine but the only way I can get it to work is his the restart button on the docker. I'm running unraid on version 6.5 and all other dockers seem to be working fine and haven't crashed once in the same time Plex has crashed 10 times.

Does the above error message indicate anything useful? I'm not sure what to do with this. Is this more of an unraid issue or Plex? Since Plex is the only thing that has crashed on me so far I figured I start here.

2 minutes ago, sheldon said:

Hi Guys, I feel bad posting for the first time in the support area with a problem rather than a praise. So let me say first of all - I appreciate all the work and effort that is put into supporting this docker and features :)

Now let me get to my problem and hope someone has a great idea:

I've been running Plex server on unraid for about 6 months without any issues whatsoever. However within the last week or 2 I get frequent Plex crashes and the only thing I can see is within the unraid log file is this:

CPU: 7 PID: 21779 Comm: Plex Media Serv Tainted: G      D         4.14.26-unRAID #1

This message appears every time Plex crashes. Within unraid the docker appears to be still working fine but the only way I can get it to work is his the restart button on the docker. I'm running unraid on version 6.5 and all other dockers seem to be working fine and haven't crashed once in the same time Plex has crashed 10 times.

Does the above error message indicate anything useful? I'm not sure what to do with this. Is this more of an unraid issue or Plex? Since Plex is the only thing that has crashed on me so far I figured I start here.

Tools - Diagnostics, post complete zip.

On 16.4.2018 at 1:48 AM, slikone27 said:

Hmm... Mine seems to be up to date now with plexpass as the version variable. I did install this years ago and back on the first few pages of this thread it says to use plexpass in that field. That is no longer the case? Should we be using latest now instead?

Yes, latest it the correct to use now. Always use the info from the github link for information.

I seem to be having an issue with Plex not finding the server

screen_capture04.JPG.57e37e71d555b2a6163705508ec0622c.JPG

I was having issues with Plex, and decided to reinstall.  I deleted the Plex docker and deleted the plex folder in the appdata folder.  Reinstalled the plex docker and that is when the issue started.  I've tried the other plex dockers with the same issue.  I've also tried deleting and recreating the docker img file, but I still get the same issue.

Here is my plex log:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing...

#####################################################
# Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web #
# and restart the docker, because there was no #
# plex token found in the preference file #

[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting dbus-daemon
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.
dbus[271]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

Starting Avahi daemon
Found user 'avahi' (UID 106) and group 'avahi' (GID 107).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.32-rc starting up.
No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv6 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
New relevant interface virbr0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv6 with address fe80::ba:e1ff:fe91:340d.
New relevant interface br0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv4 with address 13.13.13.2.
New relevant interface br0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bond0.IPv6 with address fe80::92e6:baff:fe2e:d6c9.
New relevant interface bond0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 192.168.122.1 on virbr0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::ba:e1ff:fe91:340d on br0.*.
Registering new address record for 13.13.13.2 on br0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::92e6:baff:fe2e:d6c9 on bond0.*.
Server startup complete. Host name is Titania.local. Local service cookie is 462890458.

Hey Guys, I've been running LSIO's Plex container for MANY years on unraid with great sucess now (so thank you!)

Unfortunately I've recently had hardware issues (failed USB) and so until get a replacment license I rebuilt my machine on a temp Unraid license.

Since then, my Plex container has not been able to see my HDHRs and is has no idea that DVR has been configured and running for a long time :(

No DVR so nothing is recording :(

If I try to re-add my DVR, I get the "introducing Live TV & DVR" splash and when I hit "Set up Plex DVR" I get "There was a problem discovering devices"

If I manually enter the IP address of one of my HDHRs the setup wizard progresses and says complete but no DVR links appear in my menus :(

4 hours ago, MvL said:

I'm not sure if this is Plex Server Docker related, but all of my amzn web-dl / web rips are not playing when viewed via the Plex Server webui or iOS. Someone having similar problems? 

Its likely the EAAC 5.1 issue. iOS doesn't like Dolby Digital Plus with Plex it can't covert or play it.

I've reported it to Plex a few times they aren't interested in fixing it.

Setup a handbrake docker and i convert it to H.264 MKV 1080p30, it will reencode the audio and fix it. i just throw files that have Dolby Digital Plus into the watched folder and its a quick way around it.

1 hour ago, fysmd said:

Unfortunately I've recently had hardware issues (failed USB) and so until get a replacment license I rebuilt my machine on a temp Unraid license.

Do you mean your unRAID flash failed, you had no backup, and you had to start completely from scratch?

1 hour ago, fysmd said:

my Plex container has not been able to see my HDHRs

This sounds like a network issue. Are your HDHRs and unRAID on the same subnet? 

4 hours ago, trurl said:

Do you mean your unRAID flash failed, you had no backup, and you had to start completely from scratch?

This sounds like a network issue. Are your HDHRs and unRAID on the same subnet? 

Nahh, the HDHRs are on the same LAN and subnet and pingable, including from the server

As I said, I can add manualy and it'll progress but fail to enable properly

I had a backup but as I've replaced my USB in the last 12 months, I need to wait for a replacement license from LimeTech - No way the house would function without Plex for that time so I chose to restart from scratch (other than this plex issue it was really easy!)

I have recreated a new instance of plex, stopped my other and find that running this new instance (no media added or anything) it auto detects the HDHRs properly and immediately, the rest of the setup process also completes successfully too.

I must have some broken config somewhere??

Edited by fysmd
22 hours ago, Maticks said:

Its likely the EAAC 5.1 issue. iOS doesn't like Dolby Digital Plus with Plex it can't covert or play it.

Setup a handbrake docker and i convert it to H.264 MKV 1080p30, it will reencode the audio and fix it. i just throw files that have Dolby Digital Plus into the watched folder and its a quick way around it.

22 hours ago, MvL said:

Ah, it's EAC3 issue. Indeed all the files that don't play have a EAC3 audio track. Thanks!

Is it not possible to add AC3 track? So the original track is preserved. I'm not sure if this is possible with Handbrake. Do you know?

If a device supports EAC3 then it's playing the track of course. So Playing these files on the Apple TV 4 with the Plex client there are no problems. 

It would be indeed nice if Plex Server transcode the EAC3 stream if a device not support EAC3. 

Had an interesting issue crop up last night, curious if anyone else has seen it.

I was copying about a 1TB of data to my unRAID server which has the plex docker running on it from Windows 10 via SMB. It was getting near to the end of the data set, and I tried to open up plex on my iPhone. It couldn't get a response from the server. I tried opening the web GUI, and it just sat on the spinning circle. So I restarted the docker. The docker was exceptionally slow to boot up, taking like 5 minutes to get to the point where it says "Server startup is complete. Host name is <blah>."

Even once it got there, I still couldn't get a response from the webGUI.

Went to my Windows box, and it had paused the upload of data, prompting me with a dialog stating that some of the file properties couldn't be copied, and asking if it should continue. I said yes, the copy finished in another couple seconds, and then Plex came back to life.

Array share I was copying to has the cache settings set to No, and my plex docker's config is on the standard appdata share (with cache set to prefer).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Edit: Here's an example of the dialog I'm talking about: https://superuser.com/questions/548221/file-copy-stops-to-ask-about-properties-that-cant-be-copied-to-new-location

Edited by Caldorian
More info
On 4/21/2018 at 1:05 PM, Maticks said:

Someone of the Plex Team is now looking into this EAC3 matter, but he warned cause Plex is running in a Container and on unRAID his expertise will be extremely limited.

2 hours ago, MvL said:

but he warned cause Plex is running in a Container

Personally, if I heard this from a member of the Plex support team, I would bitch and complain to no end since Plex Inc does support running as a container, and whether or not its on unRaid is completely irrelevant.

17 hours ago, MvL said:

Someone of the Plex Team is now looking into this EAC3 matter, but he warned cause Plex is running in a Container and on unRAID his expertise will be extremely limited.

It loads fine on Apple TV that’s correct but other iOS devices it won’t play or transcode. Would be nice if plex fixed it. It never was this broken before January plex worked fine with eac3.

20 hours ago, Squid said:

Personally, if I heard this from a member of the Plex support team, I would bitch and complain to no end since Plex Inc does support running as a container, and whether or not its on unRaid is completely irrelevant.

To be honest I never heard the Plex Team Member saying that Plex Inc doesn't support containers.

5 hours ago, Maticks said:

It loads fine on Apple TV that’s correct but other iOS devices it won’t play or transcode. Would be nice if plex fixed it. It never was this broken before January plex worked fine with eac3.

The problem is not Plex Media Server. The problem in my situation is the Linuxserver.io container for some reason that container is not working correctly on my server resulting in not be able playing AMZN WEB-DL. I then tried the official Plex Inc container, and now everything is working fine.

I had set my transcode directory to the memory as Jonp suggested. Resulting in the following error in the log:

Apr 22, 2018 14:01:21.267 [0x149a6d9fa700] DEBUG - [Universal] Using local file path instead of URL: /tv-series/Blindspot/Season 3/Blindspot.S03E18.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-NTb.mkv
Apr 22, 2018 14:01:21.270 [0x149a6d9fa700] DEBUG - Job running: EAE_ROOT='/tmp/pms-a5565b46-af26-47c5-969a-2b7d3001353b/EasyAudioEncoder' FFMPEG_EXTERNAL_LIBS='/config/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Codecs/7814ac9-1285-linux-ubuntu-x86_64/' XDG_CACHE_HOME='/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/' XDG_DATA_HOME='/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/' X_PLEX_TOKEN='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' '/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder' '-codec:0' 'h264' '-codec:1' 'eac3_eae' '-eae_prefix:1' 'l2ndpct267ryayw07j9ymhuz_' '-ss' '0' '-noaccurate_seek' '-i' '/tv-series/Blindspot/Season 3/Blindspot.S03E18.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H.264-NTb.mkv' '-filter_complex' '[0:1] aresample=async=1:ocl='\''stereo'\'':osr=48000[0]' '-map' '0:0' '-codec:0' 'copy' '-map' '[0]' '-metadata:s:1' 'language=eng' '-codec:1' 'aac' '-b:1' '256k' '-f' 'dash' '-min_seg_duration' '5000000' '-skip_to_segment' '1' '-time_delta' '0.0625' '-manifest_name' 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/video/:/transcode/session/l2ndpct267ryayw07j9ymhuz/664ffe5b-af62-46de-8316-72376c754009/manifest' '-avoid_negative_ts' 'disabled' '-map_metadata' '-1' '-map_chapters' '-1' 'dash' '-start_at_zero' '-copyts' '-vsync' 'cfr' '-y' '-nostats' '-loglevel' 'quiet' '-loglevel_plex' 'error' '-progressurl' 'http://127.0.0.1:32400/video/:/transcode/session/l2ndpct267ryayw07j9ymhuz/664ffe5b-af62-46de-8316-72376c754009/progress'
Apr 22, 2018 14:01:21.271 [0x149a6d9fa700] DEBUG - Jobs: Starting child process with pid 411
Apr 22, 2018 14:01:21.273 [0x149a737ff700] DEBUG - Jobs: '/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/EasyAudioEncoder-141-linux-ubuntu-x86_64/EasyAudioEncoder/EasyAudioEncoder' exit code for process 410 is 13 (failure)

The Plex Team member thought it was some kind of owner/permission problem.

I see the error. The temporary directory which serves as the transcoder temporary does not have write permission for user plex. Exit code 13 is "Permission Denied".

Either the container's /tmp or wherever the transcoder temp directory has been set to does not allow writing.

I then set the directory to my cache drive, but that didn't solve the problem. I played a bit with owners and permissions, but that didn't help either. So I ended up in trying a different Docker container. As you already know that solved the problem for me.

On 4/20/2018 at 1:09 AM, biiiink said:

I seem to be having an issue with Plex not finding the server

screen_capture04.JPG.57e37e71d555b2a6163705508ec0622c.JPG

I was having issues with Plex, and decided to reinstall.  I deleted the Plex docker and deleted the plex folder in the appdata folder.  Reinstalled the plex docker and that is when the issue started.  I've tried the other plex dockers with the same issue.  I've also tried deleting and recreating the docker img file, but I still get the same issue.

Here is my plex log:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing...

# Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web #
# and restart the docker, because there was no #
# plex token found in the preference file #

[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting dbus-daemon
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.
dbus[271]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

Starting Avahi daemon
Found user 'avahi' (UID 106) and group 'avahi' (GID 107).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.32-rc starting up.
No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv6 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
New relevant interface virbr0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv6 with address fe80::ba:e1ff:fe91:340d.
New relevant interface br0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv4 with address 13.13.13.2.
New relevant interface br0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bond0.IPv6 with address fe80::92e6:baff:fe2e:d6c9.
New relevant interface bond0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 192.168.122.1 on virbr0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::ba:e1ff:fe91:340d on br0.*.
Registering new address record for 13.13.13.2 on br0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::92e6:baff:fe2e:d6c9 on bond0.*.
Server startup complete. Host name is Titania.local. Local service cookie is 462890458.

Any help with my issue would be appreciated

30 minutes ago, biiiink said:

##################################################### # Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web # # and restart the docker, because there was no # # plex token found in the preference file # #####################################################

Did you try this?