[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I'm going to add this here, according to @ChuckPA at Plex.tv 

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-server-only-online-for-30-seconds-every-7-minutes-or-so/293805/30?u=bobertc

Regarding the “Lost Internet Connectivity” issue we’re all seeing.

1.13.5 introduced the ability to bind to an adapter. That works great.
Unforseen side effect is it disturbed MyPlex.
Engineering is working on that now and , AFAIK, will be in next update. BUT, i’m deep in NAS work so don’t have the absolute latest info on it.

This completely messes up the docker experience, I have a sneaking suspicion we're going to see a lot more complaints about Plex and docker implementations until this gets fixed.

I hope I saved someone some time, I've spent way too much time in the past week on this.

I am constantly getting these messages in the log.

It doesn't lock up or anything, Plex still runs fine, but I do have the occasional hiccup where I have to restart the stream on my nvidia Shield.

/mnt/user/media/

Daemon already running on PID 276
Starting Avahi daemon
Starting Avahi daemon
Starting Avahi daemon
Starting Avahi daemon
Starting Avahi daemon
Starting Avahi daemon
Starting Avahi daemon
Starting Avahi daemon
Starting Avahi daemon

and also this at the beginning of docker startup

dbus[277]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

Starting Avahi daemon
Found user 'avahi' (UID 106) and group 'avahi' (GID 107).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.32-rc starting up.
No service file found in /etc/avahi/services.
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv6 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

Edited by FalconX

Can someone please help me. My plex disappeared. I know it may seem too little information but I am serious here. My server was unconnectable, I tried to reinstall the docker after I wiped the plex folder from the appdata and I literally can't do anything. I get no server tab.  PLEX.PNG.81b7bc18835b1388ce1c7048184e4965.PNG 

I tried going to the URl that tries to run setup again and I only get it asking for me to download and install one... Except I am already connected to my Plex!image.thumb.png.805055679be8ab75f6dd4e099b81ef56.png

This is really Getting me down. I paid for a lifetime Plexpass and now it's gone and I simply can't get it working again!

Thanks for any help you can give... Im kinda bummed right now as you can imagine. ?

Edited by cammelspit
31 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

Can someone please help me. My plex disappeared. I know it may seem too little information but I am serious here. My server was unconnectable, I tried to reinstall the docker after I wiped the plex folder from the appdata and I literally can't do anything. I get no server tab.  PLEX.PNG.81b7bc18835b1388ce1c7048184e4965.PNG 

I tried going to the URl that tries to run setup again and I only get it asking for me to download and install one... Except I am already connected to my Plex!image.thumb.png.805055679be8ab75f6dd4e099b81ef56.png

This is really Getting me down. I paid for a lifetime Plexpass and now it's gone and I simply can't get it working again!

Thanks for any help you can give... Im kinda bummed right now as you can imagine. ?

It doesn't seem like too little information, it is too little. 

Post the docker run command, the plex container log and plex log if you want help. 

Even though some of us are wizards, not all are. 

13 minutes ago, saarg said:

It doesn't seem like too little information, it is too little. 

Post the docker run command, the plex container log and plex log if you want help. 

Even though some of us are wizards, not all are. 

First, i can't get you the plex logs since there is no server anymore. I tried removing it because it was not showing up.

Secondly, Here is the plex docker log.

ErrorWarningSystemArrayLogin

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing...

#####################################################
# Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web #
# and restart the docker, because there was no #
# preference file found, possibly first startup. #

[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting dbus-daemon
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.
dbus[270]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

Starting Avahi daemon
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv6 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface veth8d5e9d8.IPv6 with address fe80::c436:e2ff:fe7b:ba2f.
New relevant interface veth8d5e9d8.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface veth568ec71.IPv6 with address fe80::6485:42ff:fe8e:3d9c.
New relevant interface veth568ec71.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br-0570f03b27d9.IPv6 with address fe80::42:87ff:fe2a:e7c4.
New relevant interface br-0570f03b27d9.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br-0570f03b27d9.IPv4 with address 172.18.0.1.
New relevant interface br-0570f03b27d9.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv6 with address fe80::42:e0ff:fe88:3e39.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
New relevant interface virbr0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv6 with address fe80::304a:95ff:fe92:4a54.
New relevant interface br0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv4 with address 10.10.30.99.
New relevant interface br0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bond0.IPv6 with address fe80::4216:7eff:fe29:a8e.
New relevant interface bond0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for fe80::c436:e2ff:fe7b:ba2f on veth8d5e9d8.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::6485:42ff:fe8e:3d9c on veth568ec71.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::42:87ff:fe2a:e7c4 on br-0570f03b27d9.*.
Registering new address record for 172.18.0.1 on br-0570f03b27d9.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::42:e0ff:fe88:3e39 on docker0.*.
Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 192.168.122.1 on virbr0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::304a:95ff:fe92:4a54 on br0.*.
Registering new address record for 10.10.30.99 on br0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::4216:7eff:fe29:a8e on bond0.*.
Server startup complete. Host name is ConnollyServer.local. Local service cookie is 1876232988.
Error in command line:the argument for option '--serverUuid' should follow immediately after the equal sign

Crash Uploader options (all are required):
--directory arg Directory to scan for crash reports
--serverUuid arg UUID of the server that crashed
--userId arg User that owns this product
--platform arg Platform string
--url arg URL to upload to
--help show help message
--version arg Version of the product

Thirdly, sorry, but I have no idea how to get the docker run command. I'm new to unRaid and Linux in general and have only been using it about a month. I am happy to get it for you if you tell me how.

EDIT: Is this what you were looking for? 

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Phoenix" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/user/':'/MyMedia':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 
292df6f677efbabc050e8bbdc385fb0a70d7f9fd3ff00d571baab54616dc714a

Edited by cammelspit
17 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

First, i can't get you the plex logs since there is no server anymore. I tried removing it because it was not showing up.

Secondly, Here is the plex docker log.

ErrorWarningSystemArrayLogin

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-dbus: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing...

# Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web #
# and restart the docker, because there was no #
# preference file found, possibly first startup. #

[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting dbus-daemon
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.
dbus[270]: [system] org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to set fd limit to 65536: Operation not permitted

Starting Avahi daemon

Joining mDNS multicast group on interface veth8d5e9d8.IPv6 with address fe80::c436:e2ff:fe7b:ba2f.
New relevant interface veth8d5e9d8.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface veth568ec71.IPv6 with address fe80::6485:42ff:fe8e:3d9c.
New relevant interface veth568ec71.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br-0570f03b27d9.IPv6 with address fe80::42:87ff:fe2a:e7c4.
New relevant interface br-0570f03b27d9.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br-0570f03b27d9.IPv4 with address 172.18.0.1.
New relevant interface br-0570f03b27d9.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv6 with address fe80::42:e0ff:fe88:3e39.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface docker0.IPv4 with address 172.17.0.1.
New relevant interface docker0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface virbr0.IPv4 with address 192.168.122.1.
New relevant interface virbr0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv6 with address fe80::304a:95ff:fe92:4a54.
New relevant interface br0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface br0.IPv4 with address 10.10.30.99.
New relevant interface br0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bond0.IPv6 with address fe80::4216:7eff:fe29:a8e.
New relevant interface bond0.IPv6 for mDNS.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for fe80::c436:e2ff:fe7b:ba2f on veth8d5e9d8.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::6485:42ff:fe8e:3d9c on veth568ec71.*.
Registering new address record for fe80::42:87ff:fe2a:e7c4 on br-0570f03b27d9.*.
Registering new address record for 172.18.0.1 on br-0570f03b27d9.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::42:e0ff:fe88:3e39 on docker0.*.
Registering new address record for 172.17.0.1 on docker0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for 192.168.122.1 on virbr0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::304a:95ff:fe92:4a54 on br0.*.
Registering new address record for 10.10.30.99 on br0.IPv4.
Registering new address record for fe80::4216:7eff:fe29:a8e on bond0.*.
Server startup complete. Host name is ConnollyServer.local. Local service cookie is 1876232988.
Error in command line:the argument for option '--serverUuid' should follow immediately after the equal sign

Crash Uploader options (all are required):
--directory arg Directory to scan for crash reports
--serverUuid arg UUID of the server that crashed
--userId arg User that owns this product
--platform arg Platform string
--url arg URL to upload to
--help show help message
--version arg Version of the product

Thirdly, sorry, but I have no idea how to get the docker run command. I'm new to unRaid and Linux in general and have only been using it about a month. I am happy to get it for you if you tell me how.

EDIT: Is this what you were looking for? 

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Phoenix" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/user/':'/MyMedia':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 
292df6f677efbabc050e8bbdc385fb0a70d7f9fd3ff00d571baab54616dc714a

Try changing the path for the /config volume to use the cache drive (if you have one) or direct to a disk (diskX) and see if that works. 

If not, where are you connecting from? You need to connect from inside your Lan. Maybe try another device. 

Your plex logs should be in the appdata folder. 

5 minutes ago, saarg said:

Try changing the path for the /config volume to use the cache drive (if you have one) or direct to a disk (diskX) and see if that works. 

If not, where are you connecting from? You need to connect from inside your Lan. Maybe try another device. 

Your plex logs should be in the appdata folder. 

I believe this is what you were looking for? It was already on the cache drive but I moved it to another location anyway and no change. Also, yes, I am connecting directly to it via my local LAN.

Plex Media Server.1.log

11 hours ago, cammelspit said:

I believe this is what you were looking for? It was already on the cache drive but I moved it to another location anyway and no change. Also, yes, I am connecting directly to it via my local LAN.

Plex Media Server.1.log

I didn't mean to move it. Using /mnt/user/ might get you in trouble as it's going through the FUSE system. Try to use /mnt/cache as it goes directly to the disk.

So /mnt/cache/appdata/plex

7 minutes ago, saarg said:

I didn't mean to move it. Using /mnt/user/ might get you in trouble as it's going through the FUSE system. Try to use /mnt/cache as it goes directly to the disk.

So /mnt/cache/appdata/plex

I didn't know that using the /mnt/user/ could cause issues. I actually did try using /mnt/cache/ and I got all the same results.

5 hours ago, ijuarez said:

Post your docker template config, looks like its trying to use a 192.168 and 10.10 network

that's very interesting because I don't use 192.168.0.0 at all on my network. I actually use three subnets 10.10.10.0/24 which is my personal LAN, 10.10.20.0/24 which is reserved only for the roommates use through an AP, and then I have 10.10.30.0/24 which is a dedicated exclusively to the server itself and nothing else. This way NAT reflection work in pure NAT mode and I have a greater granularity of control where the traffic actually goes. The only time I used 192.168.0.0 was when I first set up my pfSense VM. My modem's access page is 192.168.100.1 and is unconfigurable though.

As for the docker template config, I assume you mean what I have in the attached pic? I just don't know much about docker yet, learning every day, so I don't know if this is something specific you are asking for and I'm just too newb to know better. ?

@everyone

Honestly, I just don't know why using a fresh install of the docker will not allow me to start over. I don't even care about the metadata getting lost, I just want to rebuild it. I did go and test Binhex, LimeTech, and the official docker containers and all of those exhibited the same behavior, even though I have never had them installed before. So there is something that isn't getting wiped clean that is blocking me from starting a new server. Would a rebuild of my docker image be worth trying?

Plexblah.PNG

59 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

I don't even care about the metadata getting lost, I just want to rebuild it. I did go and test Binhex, LimeTech, and the official docker containers and all of those exhibited the same behavior, even though I have never had them installed before. So there is something that isn't getting wiped clean that is blocking me from starting a new server

Did you delete the plex appdata?

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Why not? It is easy to get your Previous Apps back in Community Applications.

I will do it right now and report back!

EDIT: After backing up and deleting the docker.img and reinstalling the plex docker, same results. What I don't understand is how this is even possible? When I delete the /appdata/plex folder and have a brand new docker.img it should be as if Plex had never ever been installed in the first place... I simply don't understand how this is possible at all. It should be exactly as if I were starting up for the first time and allow me to setup a new server. ?

Edited by cammelspit
7 hours ago, ijuarez said:

Post your docker template config, looks like its trying to use a 192.168 and 10.10 network

Since you mentioned it is trying to use a subnet I simply am not using, is there a way to manually force Plex to use the subnet I am actually using? Would there be any kind of reason why it would be trying to force the wrong subnet in the first place?

16 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

Since you mentioned it is trying to use a subnet I simply am not using, is there a way to manually force Plex to use the subnet I am actually using? Would there be any kind of reason why it would be trying to force the wrong subnet in the first place?

Not sure if it is related, but, did you see this post at the top of the page? Apparently the latest version of Plex server can bind to multiple network adapters (which might explain your multiple subnets problem) and it is causing some people issues - like servers not showing up - with Plex docker implementations.

Edited by Hoopster
13 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

I think this has to do with your subnets. You should connect through a device in the 10.10.30.0/24 range or else you will get this issue. 

Edit: Or what @Hoopstermention might be your issue. 

Edited by saarg

1 hour ago, saarg said:

I think this has to do with your subnets. You should connect through a device in the 10.10.30.0/24 range or else you will get this issue. 

Edit: Or what @Hoopstermention might be your issue. 

I think you are on to something. First off, I originally set up this docker when the server was on the 10.10.10.0/24 subnet, same as my current machine so that's prolly why it worked. And with what @ijuarez and @Hoopster said, it seems that it is binding to some subnet with 192.168. subnet. Ok, so I was following Spaceinvader Ones's tut on nextcloud. In his tutorial, he has you make a new network, low and behold it is set to a 192.168. subnet! So this tells me plex is binding to Vibr0. I have since moved the server back to the 10.10.10.99/24 subnet so that shouldn't be an issue right now. However, in unraid, I can't use the GUI to remove virbr0 route. vibr.thumb.PNG.f855c84086ced4aa89af7734509ade3e.PNG

My issue now is I simply don't know the commands to remove it entirely. I decided after the fact that I didn't want to have any of my docker going through virbr0 since it made them inaccessible locally due to the way my network was set up. I COMPLTELY forgot about this too as I am not using it and sort of haven't thought about it in a bit.

I would be willing to put money on this being the problem. Does someone know the commends to remove this virtual network?

Edited by cammelspit
5 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

I think you are on to something. First off, I originally set up this docker when the server was on the 10.10.10.0/24 subnet, same as my current machine so that's prolly why it worked. And with what @ijuarez and @Hoopster said, it seems that it is binding to some subnet with 192.168. subnet. Ok, so I was following Spaceinvader Ones's tut on nextcloud. In his tutorial, he has you make a new network, low and behold it is set to a 192.168. subnet! So this tells me plex is binding to Vibr0. I have since moved the server back to the 10.10.10.99/24 subnet so that shouldn't be an issue right now. However, in unraid, I can't use the GUI to remove virbr0 route. vibr.thumb.PNG.f855c84086ced4aa89af7734509ade3e.PNG

My issue now is I simply don't know the commands to remove it entirely. I decided after the fact that I didn't want to have any of my docker going through virbr0 since it made them inaccessible locally due to the way my network was set up. I COMPLTELY forgot about this too as I am not using it and sort of haven't thought about it in a bit.

I would be willing to put money on this being the problem. Does someone know the commends to remove this virtual network?

Docker natively has a bunch of networking, subnets, etc. that you're not going to be able to remove. Plex tried to make the code that would allow you to specify which network interface to use. While you *CAN* specify that, the code underlying this detection method broke in the last release. They're working on it, and so I wait, I can't get any Plex server to run in my environment under Docker or Linux, ATM.

A quick test is to launch a web client and try to connect to the server. Mine literally is available for 30 seconds every 5 minutes or so. That's the acid test I found. It won't show up initially for a few minutes too.

Just now, cammelspit said:

The difference here is this virbr0 I made myself from the command line as part of the tutorial. I should be able to remove this specific network, shouldn't I? It is not part of the docker stuff by default.

Oh, so if you want to change networking and adding bridges, if I recall, you need to spin down your array before you can change the advanced network settings to allow you to add virtual NICs and bridges. 

I spent so much time over the past 10 days with this, I've forgotten what I did. I've just turned off Plex until they come out with a new relese. I've thrown in the towel and am using unRAID with my KODI boxes. :)

8 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

The difference here is this virbr0 I made myself from the command line as part of the tutorial. I should be able to remove this specific network, shouldn't I? It is not part of the docker stuff by default.

So in the Routing Table section of Settings>Network Settings you have no trash can icon in the Delete column to allow you to delete virbr0 (assuming that is the correct way to delete it)?

image.thumb.png.faa01a103686f016f9fb0fe7b897f6b2.png

Edited by Hoopster

AAAAHHHH! I FIXED IT!!! WOOO!

Alright, sorry, I'm so happy I could literally start running around in circles right now! So, here's what I did. After remembering I use the 'docker network create proxynet' command, I opened the terminal and tried just using 'docker network remove proxynet' but it errored and told me that it had active endpoints. I then recalled I could disable the 'preserver user-defined networks'. I disabled this in the docker settings of unRaid and then after re-enabling the Docker engine, I was finally able to remove this virbr0 entirely. From there, I just opened the Plex WebGUI like always and it instantly showed me the create new server stuff. Hell yes...

Honestly, guys, I can not put into words how incredibly frustrating this has been for me over the last two days or so. I have also never gotten as good support before from such a knowledgeable group of people. With the powers of all of you together and a little bouncing of ideas off each other, we have fixed it. Where can I donate to the linuxserver.io? ???