[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I get the same issues as most people on the latest version (1.13.5), but I also get dropouts when I set up the docker container but downgrade to 1.13.2. Seems to play for about 10 or 15 minutes then stops. It seems better, slightly, on the older version, but not a complete fix.

I'm planning to switch to Emby in the meantime and try Plex again in a few weeks to see if this is fixed.

Hi, may a stupid question but im stuck here, im trying to setup unraid with plex for an friend on his server.

created a new plex account, installed the docker, now when i try 192.....:32400 im stuck at the start screen about plex pass (he just wants the free verseion) and

its looping in "searching for server", also no server settings in plex settings ... all i see is an advice to download the server ?

may an idea what im doing wrong here ? or isnt it possible to start with a new account in unraid ?

when i setted up mine i never had this issues ...

for any tipps, thanks ahead ;)

image.thumb.png.1e176d022d5c7a4046769b8bcea3da21.png

image.thumb.png.b7223099b2fe13cae73e8b2a74aa7996.png

Edited by alturismo

Good morning,

I hope this thread is the right place to ask this type of Plex setup question; but if not, any direction where to post it would be great. 

I have a question about the pathing for my transcoding directory. If you take a look at the attached images, you can see parts of my setup. I have a mirrored pair of 2TB drives for my cache pool, which handles Dockers, Temporary Torrents, Docker App Data, and until recently, Transcoding. I decided that I wanted to take some of the load off of these drives, so I threw in an old samsung SSD to setup for transcoding only. To make sure it was only used for transcoding, I used the Unassigned Devices plugin to mount it outside of the array and cache pool. 

If you look at my Paths.jpg attachment, you can see my PlexMediaServer docker settings, Server Settings, and the paths that WinSCP shows. I believe I have them all set correctly, but I have doubts because I have never seen a file written to the SSD drive. This SSD drive has remained at the same 153mb used since I first set it up, and I have never seen a file written to it, even when trying to run 6 or 7 streams at once and forcing them to transcode. It feels like the transcode is being written to some default location on my array or cache drives. 

So if you have made it this far, I appreciate you taking the time to read this post and if you have any suggestions or advice, or see something that doesn't look setup correctly, that would be great. Also, is there a way or a log somewhere that shows exactly where it is writing temporary transcode files?

edit: I also noticed when making this post that my paths on the PlexServer site might be wrong.  If the container path for media is /data, and my movies are mapped to /data/movies, then it would make sense that the container path for /transcode should point to /transcode/transcode, instead of /ssdTranscoding/transcode. So I made that change and tested it this morning but still no luck. I can get up to 9 streams before hitting the buffer, but I am still not seeing any writing to the ssd. 

drives.jpg

Paths.jpg

Edited by e30andrew

I see Plex has released version 1.13.6.5339. I didn't see anything in the brief release notes about a fix for the connection timeout issue ☹️. Anyone try it anyway?

Plex Media Server 1.13.6.5339 is now available to Plex Pass users in the Beta update channel.

NEW:

• (DVR) Added incremental loading for EPG guide data (#7981)
  • (Web) Updated to 3.63.1

FIXES:

• (Security) Updated libxml2 to fix CVE-2018-13415
  • (Analysis) Loudness data could be reported incorrectly for some DTS files (#8719)
  • (DVR) Avoid crash when using negative start/end time adjustment that is equal to the duration of the grab. (#8346)
  • (DVR) Avoid rare crash when starting up a recording (#8657)
  • (DVR) Fix for 11pm UTC airings not getting recorded during Daylight Savings Time. (#8803)
  • (DVR) Whitelisting for DVB-T scanners for non-European/ISDB-T countries was not working correctly (#7615)
  • (Streaming Brain) Debug log for media with unknown bandwidth was giving a value of 10.5Gbps (#8335)
  • (Transcoder) Chinese and Korean subtitles could render using Japanese character variants (#8713)
  • (Transcoder) Fixed case where crash could occur while parsing segment list (#8886)
  • Update localization strings
  • Webhooks using some newer TLS roots would fail (#8884)

On 8/22/2018 at 8:02 PM, subagon said:

I see Plex has released version 1.13.6.5339. I didn't see anything in the brief release notes about a fix for the connection timeout issue ☹️. Anyone try it anyway?

I tried it, it didn't fix anything for me. I went back to 1.13.2, all still working there.

4 hours ago, k1rk3r said:

So, this might be a dumb question. But how do I roll back to a previous version? I tried inputting the version i want into the "version" box but it never went back? 

Perhaps you didn't enter the full version number (example- 1.5.6.3790-XXXXceXXX). Another possibility is that the version you entered is no longer available, maybe.

Hi,

I am hoping someone in here can help me please as I am having a nightmare getting Plex back up and running.

Firstly although I am using linuxserver docker I have tried going to binhex and official with the same result so not specific to this docker but it's what I have been using since the beginning and trying to get back running!

The issue I have is that the docker is taking anything up to an hour to be accessable.. from starting the docker after about 20-30 minutes the library starts populating but I will not be able to access the server settings for about an hour with connection timeouts

Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu21.4) ...
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
Starting Plex Media Server.
connect: Connection timed out

If I do a fresh installation with no library the server starts up immediately.

Now, I found half a fix by changing the docker from host mode to br1 and with that the docker starts immediately and is instantly accessable (as it always used to be) but the problem is that br1 has no internet access (it is a 10gbe card I have installed between my desktop & unRAIDserver)  I tried adding my pfsense router as the gateway for br1 but still no internet.

if I try br0 I still have the same slow issues as mentioned before

if I try bridge the problems are resolved as well but I cannot work out how to add a port mapping to Plex 

image.thumb.png.1999e7f48f3812d5de4e7f79df800744.png

image.thumb.png.da5fa4a13ededd2438d4df585a1c53d1.png

image.thumb.png.0d13f1716e763a825bbeb2a519b170ad.png

so, in short there is something wrong with my network but after 3 days I really could do with some help!

Any guidance would be gratefully received! I have also attached my Plex Media Server log as well.

Many Thanks

Plex Media Server.log

Hey,

So, I recently started using Plex.  I bought a lifetime a year ago, but didn't really use it.

The reason I am mainly using it now is for the Live TV.

Kodi and Emby, I am too stupid to figure out setting up my HDHomeRun I just bought.

Anyway, I think I bought the wrong HD Homerun also.  I should have maybe bought the extend.

Plex runs slow or not at all or crashes on my Shield TV.  I have seen a message stating My PC isn't powerful enough to convert.

Should I get a new MB/CPU and Mem. or sell the refurbished HDHomerun Quattro and get the Extend refurbished? (108 dollars for the extend).

EDIT:

The more I think about it, That is probably a 9 year old combo.  I should probably upgrade and it would help all my other apps on Unraid?

Any recommendations on a good combo on upgrading the Unraid PC for cheap?

Thanks so much....

I've been running Unraid for awhile on my Tower.  It is only :

AMD A4-3300 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics @ 2500

4gb Ram

Edited by abuzzbuzz
3 hours ago, abuzzbuzz said:

The more I think about it, That is probably a 9 year old combo.  I should probably upgrade and it would help all my other apps on Unraid?

Any recommendations on a good combo on upgrading the Unraid PC for cheap?

Thanks so much....

I've been running Unraid for awhile on my Tower.  It is only :

AMD A4-3300 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics @ 2500

4gb Ram

I consider 4GB RAM minimum for running  unRAID V6 as just a NAS without any addons like dockers and VMs. Go for at least 8. Even more if you want VMs.

19 hours ago, abuzzbuzz said:

I am too stupid to figure out setting up my HDHomeRun I just bought.

Anyway, I think I bought the wrong HD Homerun also.  I should have maybe bought the extend.

What do you not understand about setting up the HDHomeRun?  I have two of the HDHomeRun Connect dual-tuner boxes on my network.  Setup in Plex is fairly easy once you have the tuners working and recognized on your network.  I am using Plex as my HDHomeRun DVR as it is much better (IMHO) than the HDHomeRun DVR and you already own it with your lifetime Plex subscription.  I use the HDHR native apps on my various clients for live TV unless I am traveling and then I use it through Plex for local channels.

The only reason you would need the Extend is if the server hosting Plex can't keep up with recording the MPEG-2 .ts files and you need the HDHomeRun to transcode to H.264 on the fly.

If your server is under powered, this may well be an issue.

As to what hardware to buy if looking to upgrade, do you want the latest tech (more $$$), or, just something newer than what you have that can handle Plex and other apps without choking and costs a bit less?  How many concurrent Plex transcoded streams do you think you will need?

If you are streaming only to the Shield, it can handle almost any format without Plex needing to transcode on the server.  If you are streaming to mobile devices or other less-capable media clients, you can either have Plex transcode or create optimized versions of the media which your clients can handle without transcoding.  Basically it will pre-transcode for you.

Edited by Hoopster
8 hours ago, rcrh said:

Transcoded DTS to AC3

This has been asked before but I can't find an answer... where are the profile files stored so that I can edit android.xml to so that Plex in this contain will transcode DTS audio to AC3 instead of to stereo?

Thanks in advance.

I believe the profile files are now hidden, but you can create your own in the config folder somewhere, and those changes will append the default values. There is either a wiki or a forum post on plex about it

59 minutes ago, aptalca said:

I believe the profile files are now hidden, but you can create your own in the config folder somewhere, and those changes will append the default values. There is either a wiki or a forum post on plex about it

I hope someone else finds that wiki, 'cause I can't find it.

Here's what I've done.

1) in \appdata\plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server

I created a folder called Profiles

2) found the android.xml profile on my windows instalation of PMS and edited it so that all references to AAC were changed to AC3 and put it in the newly created Profiles folder

3) restarted plex server

4) started a file with DTS audio and I'm still getting stereo transcoding.

15 minutes ago, rcrh said:

I hope someone else finds that wiki, 'cause I can't find it.

Here's what I've done.

1) in \appdata\plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server

I created a folder called Profiles

2) found the android.xml profile on my windows instalation of PMS and edited it so that all references to AAC were changed to AC3 and put it in the newly created Profiles folder

3) restarted plex server

4) started a file with DTS audio and I'm still getting stereo transcoding.

Google shows quite a bit of threads regarding profile location in the plex forums. They all seem to use the same location that your using (ie. Plex Media Server/Profiles). Perhaps location isn't the issue with yours. 

The plex forum is probably a better place to get this resolved though since this is really an issue with the app and not specific to this docker. Many more experienced Plex users their than on the unraid forum.

1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

Google shows quite a bit of threads regarding profile location in the plex forums. They all seem to use the same location that your using (ie. Plex Media Server/Profiles). Perhaps location isn't the issue with yours. 

The plex forum is probably a better place to get this resolved though since this is really an issue with the app and not specific to this docker. Many more experienced Plex users their than on the unraid forum.

I bet I looked at most of those threads ;)

But I'll take your advice and assume this is a plex issue and not a container issue.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, xman111 said:

How do i install this?  i cannot even find it under apps.

Click on the apps tab and search for plex

Have you done this and see nothing?

There are five different Plex server dockers:

Linuxserver.io

Plex Inc

Binhex

Binhex Plexpass

Limetech

Click the download button on the one you wish to install.  Since you are posting in the Linuxserver.io forum, I assume this is the version you wish to install.

Edited by Hoopster
1 minute ago, xman111 said:

I did that but when i try to launch it, it keeps saying looking for server, nothing happens.  Not sure I have my directories right.

So are you saying you already downloaded and installed the Plex docker, but you can't launch it?

The wording of your original post is a bit confusing then.  I assumed you could not find it in Apps, meaning you could not find the Plex Media Server docker to even download and install it.

Apps is not where you find installed applications.  It is where you look for application (either dockers or plugins) you wish to install.

So, you see Plex in the Docker tab, you open the WebUI and you get an error that it cannot find a server?

ya, sorry man, my mistake, and I was on my phone.   I downloaded it via the apps.  It is installed but I wasn't sure what I should pick for the containers, etc.  It just keeps saying looking for servers.  Since it is supposed to be the server, i thought i downloaded plex instead of plex server. 

I have been trying for days to get this working to no avail.    Searching, reading, just can't get it done.  This was one of the reasons I moved to Windows from Unraid a couple years ago, it's just easier. 

I just bought an nice SATA controller card and was just going to buy all new hardware but not if I can't get everything working.

Any help would be so much appreciated.. 

Edited by xman111