[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

@FlorinB

To fix the reverse proxy issue for plex if you followed Spaceinvader One’s tutorial

1. Log into pfsense or whatever firewall

Create another Port Forwarding Rule as the tutorial showed (or Duplicate one) but set the ports to 32400
Click Save / Apply

2. In Unraid > Docker > plex > Edit
Upper right corner change from Basic View to Advanced View
Find the field, Extra Parameters:
Paste the following:

-p 1900:1900/udp -p 32400:32400/tcp -p 32400:32400/udp -p 32460:32469/tcp -p 32460:32469/udp -p 55353:5353/udp

Click Apply

3. Log into your Plex Server > Settings > Remote Access
Be sure to Check the Checkbox for Manually specify public port and set 32400
Click Apply

@roppy84

I had to change mDNS ports -p 5353:5353/udp to -p 5353:55353 because there was a conflict with mDNS and wouldn't let my docker start properly... there is probably a bug in the container

You could try step 2. above and see if that resolves the issue for now.

Edited by happyagnostic
Specified @names of users
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, happyagnostic said:

1. Log into pfsense or whatever firewall

Create another Port Forwarding Rule as the tutorial showed (or Duplicate one) but set the ports to 32400
Click Save / Apply

Do not need this, the Plex is already reachable from outside via NGINX reverse proxy mapping. 

2. In Unraid > Docker > plex > Edit
Upper right corner change from Basic View to Advanced View
Find the field, Extra Parameters:
Paste the following:

-p 1900:1900/udp -p 32400:32400/tcp -p 32400:32400/udp -p 32460:32469/tcp -p 32460:32469/udp -p 55353:5353/udp

Click Apply

This did the trick: now Plex is reachable from the internal network as well. The ports are mapped and translated to the Unraid IP.

3. Log into your Plex Server > Settings > Remote Access
Be sure to Check the Checkbox for Manually specify public port and set 32400
Click Apply

I do not want/need to enable Remote access.

The only issue, is that in this setup: Plex in custom dedicated network with letsencrypt is not reachable via https://apps.plex.tv 

When it is configured with the Bridge network I can access it like that from my notebook. 

Thanks @happyagnostic for the tips and help.

Edited by FlorinB
27 minutes ago, FlorinB said:

Do not need this, the Plex is already reachable from outside via NGINX reverse proxy mapping. 

This did the trick: now Plex is reachable from the internal network as well. The ports are mapped and translated to the Unraid IP.

I do not want/need to enable Remote access.

The only issue, is that in this setup: Plex in custom dedicated network with letsencrypt is not reachable via https://apps.plex.tv 

When it is configured with the Bridge network I can access it like that from my notebook. 

Thanks @happyagnostic for the tips and help.

Read the info at the top of the preset proxy conf. It tells you how to enter the domain url in plex settings so it is reachable via apps.plex.tv and in mobile apps

23 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Read the info at the top of the preset proxy conf. It tells you how to enter the domain url in plex settings so it is reachable via apps.plex.tv and in mobile apps

Instructions into linuxserver/letsencrypt docker: /appdata/letsencrypt/nginx/proxy-confs/plex.subdomain.conf.sample

# make sure that your dns has a cname set for plex, if plex is running in bridge mode, the below config should work as is, for host mode,
# replace the line "proxy_pass https://$upstream_plex:32400;" with "proxy_pass https://HOSTIP:32400;" HOSTIP being the IP address of plex
# in plex server settings, under network, fill in "Custom server access URLs" with your domain (ie. "https://plex.yourdomain.url:443")

I had filled in the Custom server access URL with my external NGINX fqdn for plex.

Everything is working now with the custom network, as it was in the Bridgde network:

- accessibile via Unraid IP http://Unraid_IP:32400/web/index.html

- accessibile via https://app.plex.tv/desktop#

And additionally thanks to the NGINX reverse proxy from Internet, in a more secure way than with Plex Remote Access enabled.

Thank you very much for your help @aptalca and @happyagnostic.

Edited by FlorinB
On 10/3/2018 at 2:15 AM, saarg said:

You need to set the transcoding folder in the Plex settings to /transcode if you want to use Ram, but I'm not sure it works. There have been issues with it. You also need to check the permission on /tmp and make sure that nobody users have write access. 

I did find the solution to this actually.  Posting it here for anyone else that needs it:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/error-transcoder-ac3_eae-0x2fd4f40-eae-timeout-eae-not-running-or-wrong-folder/189917/33

Basically one of the Codec folders (/mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/EasyAudioEncoder-141-linux-ubuntu-x86_64/EasyAudioEncoder) doesn't have executable permissions.  Running 'chmod 777 EasyAudioEncoder' gives it executable permissions and lets the file play.

On 10/6/2018 at 4:44 AM, lordbob75 said:

I did find the solution to this actually.  Posting it here for anyone else that needs it:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/error-transcoder-ac3_eae-0x2fd4f40-eae-timeout-eae-not-running-or-wrong-folder/189917/33

Basically one of the Codec folders (/mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/EasyAudioEncoder-141-linux-ubuntu-x86_64/EasyAudioEncoder) doesn't have executable permissions.  Running 'chmod 777 EasyAudioEncoder' gives it executable permissions and lets the file play.

I'll add it to the set permissions script so it's fixed. 

Sorry if this is old news, but I haven't seen any news about it...

Back in August a new version of Plex was causing problems with connection timeouts. The network connection would go up and down about every 5 minutes and the log would have line after line of "connection Timeout" errors.

After contacting Plex support and getting no help I decided to just go ahead and try the current Plex release (1.13.8.5395-10d48da0d) and see if the error was still occuring. It's been a few days and I can report that at least for my system the connection timeout errors are gone.

20 hours ago, subagon said:

Back in August a new version of Plex was causing problems with connection timeouts. The network connection would go up and down about every 5 minutes and the log would have line after line of "connection Timeout" errors.

After contacting Plex support and getting no help I decided to just go ahead and try the current Plex release (1.13.8.5395-10d48da0d) and see if the error was still occuring. It's been a few days and I can report that at least for my system the connection timeout errors are gone.

thanks for posting.  will also try tonight

edit:  wouldnt work for me.  i do have two separate plex instances on two servers.  but updated plex couldn't be seen

Edited by grither

Hey guys, I am not sure what happened but all of a sudden my Linuxserver Plex after years of stability acted up. The only big change I can tell is unraid updated, though plex was fine right after the update. It started a day ago.   So it basically forgot my server (itself)  and when I was under my local network it asked me to claim the server it saw locally under my account, it had a different name, (Tower instead of my old one Plex Tower) it then ran me through some things and all libraries and such are the same, though what is important to me is my sharing settings are different now, all my sharing preferences are attached to “Plex Tower” which is now showing unavailable, and the server it sees has none... I would also hate to lose all my network and other specific settings that I have setup over time that I can’t even think of now. 

Basically all the users I share with do not have the right libraries setup , the one that shows unavailable is the one I want, they are both one in the same, but for some reason it thinks it’s a new one now.  I really just want it to realize that it is the previous plex server and all settings and sharing preferences restored like it was 

It now thinks I have 2 plex servers when It has always been just one, same physical server and same linuxserver docket also 

89712BDA-B0EF-4894-8B0E-46A7832391CB.jpeg

On 10/10/2018 at 11:09 AM, subagon said:

Well about a week latter and the connection timeouts are back :( Not sure why they came back, but my cache drive died. don't see how that could have an impact since all my Plex data is stored on a seperate drive (not /appdata).

6 hours ago, Catutzi said:

I just found out that my plex server is no longer detected by my tv/laptop. 

I can login to the server, but no server/share is being detected.

I don't know how to proceed. unRAID version is 6.6.2. 

I attached the diag. Maybe someone can assist.

Thank you.

unraid-diagnostics-20181018-0945.zip

i had similar problems.  recent plex versions have had problems.  

i would remove docker, and reinstall from template but using version image.png.6039c0805789e3ec564918e173b5d443.png in the key 3 field.  appears to be the last stable version.  my two servers are running this version without problems

7 hours ago, grither said:

i had similar problems.  recent plex versions have had problems.  

i would remove docker, and reinstall from template but using version image.png.6039c0805789e3ec564918e173b5d443.png in the key 3 field.  appears to be the last stable version.  my two servers are running this version without problems

I found that changing the docker networking mode from Host to Bridge and manually mapping all of the ports needed, It's been rock solid ever since. As soon as I advanced to the new version that had the new network code it was unstable. This seems to affect only a very small group of people but I see it hit the forum every few weeks.

From My plex forum post: https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-server-not-worked-since-1-13-4-5271-200287a06/312196/12?u=bobertc

I’ve been held back to 1.13.4.5271 for what feels like months. I tried something yesterday I saw on Reddit.

On my unRAID (docker host) box I changed networking from host to bridge. I then added the following port mappings manually:

Changing the TCP/UDP settings to match the Docker recommended ports from:https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker:

1900, 32410, 32412, 32413, 32414: UDP
3005, 8324, 32400, 32469: TCP

Then updated to the latest version of Plex. Available inside and outside, no pauses or disappearing server!

So far so good

Hi All, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I customize the Linuxserver.io Plex docker to add ffmpeg/mediainfo/etc for a custom DVR post-processing script. It's been working great, but somewhere about September 14th, I'm now getting this error...

ffmpeg: /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16)

What's super weird, is that error only occurs when Plex executes the script. If I console into the docker and run it manually, I have no problems.

14 minutes ago, scrathe said:

Hi All, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I customize the Linuxserver.io Plex docker to add ffmpeg/mediainfo/etc for a custom DVR post-processing script. It's been working great, but somewhere about September 14th, I'm now getting this error...

ffmpeg: /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16)

What's super weird, is that error only occurs when Plex executes the script. If I console into the docker and run it manually, I have no problems.

Fixed the problem with this addition to my script:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu"

On 10/18/2018 at 5:12 PM, BCinBC said:

I found that changing the docker networking mode from Host to Bridge and manually mapping all of the ports needed, It's been rock solid ever since. As soon as I advanced to the new version that had the new network code it was unstable. This seems to affect only a very small group of people but I see it hit the forum every few weeks.

From My plex forum post: https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-server-not-worked-since-1-13-4-5271-200287a06/312196/12?u=bobertc

Thank you for this!  I just made the changes (omitting port 1900 as apparently python2 is bound to that...) and my server is up and running!

I am having problems with the remote access, I have used it for a year without problem but for a week ago it started acting wierd. I am using pfSense and I'm sure port 32400 is correctly forwarded. I can access my nextcloud and other services on port 443 without issues, but Plex seems to refuse direct access outside my network... Have tried running the docker in bridge mode and mapping the ports manually and this doesn't work either except it shows accessible for like a second after I press the "allow remote access" button in plex, then goes back to not accessible. Any suggestions mostly appreciated. Running unraid 6.6.3.

34 minutes ago, truetype said:

I am having problems with the remote access, I have used it for a year without problem but for a week ago it started acting wierd. I am using pfSense and I'm sure port 32400 is correctly forwarded. I can access my nextcloud and other services on port 443 without issues, but Plex seems to refuse direct access outside my network... Have tried running the docker in bridge mode and mapping the ports manually and this doesn't work either except it shows accessible for like a second after I press the "allow remote access" button in plex, then goes back to not accessible. Any suggestions mostly appreciated. Running unraid 6.6.3.

Plex has been having issues with remote access for a while. See their forum, it's full of similar complaints. 

I reverse proxy plex and have no issues

1 minute ago, aptalca said:

Plex has been having issues with remote access for a while. See their forum, it's full of similar complaints. 

I reverse proxy plex and have no issues

Ok, many thanks. I should head over to reverse proxy myself then. Should I follow spaceinvaders youtube guide, or you know if there is any better guide?

Edited by truetype

Hi there, my plex server had starting becoming unresponsive, plex apps couldn't discover the server, etc. In the logs I was getting a bunch of "connect: Connection timed out" errors. I tried reinstalling the docker container, deleting the docker image and starting over, but nothing worked until I downgraded plex. 

I downgraded to 1.13.2.5154-fd05be322 and now the server is much more quickly discovered and media plays, etc, but every so often it dies again and requires a docker container restart. I am also still getting a huge number of these errors (like pages and pages):

connect: Connection timed out

I'm running unraid 6.6.1 and I have attached my diagnostics to this message. 

Also when I reinstall the docker container or make changes here is the output:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='1.13.2.5154-fd05be322' -v '/mnt/user/Media/':'/media':'rw' -v '/tmp/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 
0790f41fd9ad67b65bb35622056278db63031673dbb1bfec20b5c4fdfcce97cd

The command finished successfully!

home-server-diagnostics-20181028-1612.zip

On 10/28/2018 at 4:23 PM, wgstarks said:

This really makes it sound like a problem with the app rather than the container. I would suggest you raise this issue on the Plex forum.

I have posted the issue on the plex forums, so hopefully I get some insight there. However even with downgrading the issues I am having are still quite bad. Playback locks up and the server becomes unresponsive regularly no matter the version I downgrade to.