[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Hi guys, new to Unraid, I am trying to migrate my Plex Server from Windows 10 to Unraid and not having much luck importing the data into unraid.

I created a zip of the data on the windows version, copied it across to unraid, installed Plex container, started it up disabled "empty trash" and stoped it, copied all the data to the "/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server" directory, applied the permissions using "chown -R nobody:users ./" and started Plex again.

No data shows up, empty library, any pointers appreciated, I have read various post here and elsewhere, I have tried it about 10 times with different containers and no luck :(

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Is this the exact Unraid path you used? Post your docker run command as seen here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/#comment-564345

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='PlexMediaServer' --net='br0' --ip='192.168.1.223' --privileged=true -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -v '/mnt/disks/nas-docs':'/nas-docs':'rw' -v '/mnt/disks/nas-dvr':'/nas-dvr':'rw' -v '/mnt/disks/nas-movies':'/nas-movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/disks/nas-tv-series':'/nas-tv-series':'rw' -v '/mnt/disks/nas-mp3':'/nas-mp3':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer':'/config':'rw' 'limetech/plex'

9204382582e2317a967fcdad27c6554d3e27c0492e8fa38027537430ea78d151

The full path is: /mnt/disks/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

Many thanks

Edited by LondonDragon
1 minute ago, LondonDragon said:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='PlexMediaServer' --net='br0' --ip='192.168.1.223' --privileged=true -e TZ="Europe/London" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -v '/mnt/disks/nas-docs':'/nas-docs':'rw' -v '/mnt/disks/nas-dvr':'/nas-dvr':'rw' -v '/mnt/disks/nas-movies':'/nas-movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/disks/nas-tv-series':'/nas-tv-series':'rw' -v '/mnt/disks/nas-mp3':'/nas-mp3':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer':'/config':'rw' 'limetech/plex'

The full path is: /mnt/disks/user//appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

Many thanks

Are you sure about that path? Or did you make a typo? It has a double // in it for one thing. Also, it doesn't match the /config mapping in your docker run command.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

Are you sure about that path? Or did you make a typo? It has a double // in it for one thing. Also, it doesn't match the /config mapping in your docker run command.

Ignore the double quote it was a typo, so the data should be in the /mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/ folder here? If I add a library manually it creates the data in this structure: /mnt/disks/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

Edited by LondonDragon
Just now, LondonDragon said:

If I add a library manually it creates the data in this structure: /mnt/disks/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

Are you sure that isn't a typo also? The "disks/" shouldn't be part of the path. Take another look at your /config mapping.

9 minutes ago, LondonDragon said:

Your right, guess I have been too long at this trying to sort it out, the path is indeed /mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

And is that where you are putting the plex data from your Windows install?

23 minutes ago, LondonDragon said:

Correct, tried just placing only the Media and Metadata but that didn't work either.

I don't know if Plex Windows library is compatible with Plex Linux library or not. Have you researched this in the Plex forums? Unless all the paths are exactly the same it won't work of course, and possibly not even then.

Might be simply the problem with the way Windows specifies paths with \ whereas Linux specifies paths with /. If the library (plex database) has Windows paths stored then probably some other method will be required if it is even possible at all.

7 hours ago, trurl said:

I don't know if Plex Windows library is compatible with Plex Linux library or not. Have you researched this in the Plex forums? Unless all the paths are exactly the same it won't work of course, and possibly not even then.

Might be simply the problem with the way Windows specifies paths with \ whereas Linux specifies paths with /. If the library (plex database) has Windows paths stored then probably some other method will be required if it is even possible at all.

Many thanks, they all say it can be moved and it will display, then you just add the new paths to the Libraries and re-scan, then delete the old paths, but I am having trouble it displaying in the first place.

I did try a test Library on Unraid and then moved the database out of the directory, started Plex and it was gone, then moved it back to the same folder where it was before, and even the database created on Unraid did not display again. So that seems strange.

Guess might have to create it all again from scratch and loose all the watched information and playlists :(

On 11/1/2018 at 1:52 AM, LondonDragon said:

The full path is: /mnt/disks/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

Many thanks

Please usse the correct support thread. You are using limetechs version of Plex and not ours.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:01 PM, Hoopster said:

See Plex Hardware-Acelerated Streaming page for details.  https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Short answer is that with a docker running on unRAID, you are limited to Intel iGPU with Quick Sync Video support.  Although there is a mention on that page of AMD GPU support from Plex, no details are given and there are no nVidia drivers in unRAID to support hardware acceleration with nVidia GPUs.  Some in the community have looked into creating a version of unRAID with nVidia drivers (Like CHBMB does with his DVB version), but, that has not happened. Same is true for AMD GPUs.  They are only mentioned as being supported on Plex in Windows; not Linux.

Here is what Plex says about Linux requirements for hardware acceleration:

Linux system requirements

Hardware-Accelerated Streaming on Linux requires:

• 64-bit Ubuntu (16.04 or later) or 64-bit Fedora (26 or later) distributions. (Other distributions may be capable, but are not officially supported.)
  • A recent Intel CPU meeting these requirements:
    • 2nd-generation Intel Core (Sandy Bridge, 2011) or newer (we recommend 5th-gen Broadwell or newer for the best experience; Sandy Bridge, in particular, is known to sometimes have poor visual output on Linux)
    • Supports Intel Quick Sync Video (Not sure? Look up your processor)
  • Plex Media Server 1.9.3 or later
  • Plex Pass subscription

If your Linux computer also has a dedicated graphics card, the video encoding acceleration of Intel Quick Sync Video may become unavailable when the GPU is in use. If your computer has an NVIDIA GPU, please install the latest Latest NVIDIA drivers for Linux to make sure that Plex can use your NVIDIA graphics card for video encoding (only) when Intel Quick Sync Video becomes unavailable.

Is this the case? Bearing in mind the LS.io dockers are built on an Ubuntu base image, could it not be that the appropriate AMD/Nvidia drivers (hacked ones in NV case since they limit non-Quadro cards to 2 streams otherwise) could be inserted into the image and the card either passed through or "attached" in a similar fashion to the Intel iGPUs?

Otherwise, we are "forced" to use an Ubuntu VM and pass a GPU to that, which means we might as well chuck most of the other Dockers functionality into the same VM....

I'm speculating and moaning at the same time.. we need some clever people like the LS.io devs or @gridrunner to work this out ;-)

2 hours ago, methanoid said:

Is this the case? Bearing in mind the LS.io dockers are built on an Ubuntu base image, could it not be that the appropriate AMD/Nvidia drivers (hacked ones in NV case since they limit non-Quadro cards to 2 streams otherwise) could be inserted into the image and the card either passed through or "attached" in a similar fashion to the Intel iGPUs?

Otherwise, we are "forced" to use an Ubuntu VM and pass a GPU to that, which means we might as well chuck most of the other Dockers functionality into the same VM....

I'm speculating and moaning at the same time.. we need some clever people like the LS.io devs or @gridrunner to work this out ;-)

You need to install the drivers on the host to use it in a container. So only choice for now is to use a VM. 

The drivers for the iGPU is in unraid. 

Edited by saarg

I'm looking to remove/reduce the timer on playing the next episode/video in queue.  In my research i found a post at plex tv forums that shows the location of the file needed to edit this variable.  However, I'm unable to edit the file from the docker containers terminal, I tried nano but it seems there is no nano installed in this container.  What is the command I could use to edit this?

Anyone running two instances of Plex docker on the same Unraid server? Is it just as simple as setting the second container up with bridged networking and changing the ports so they don't match the ports the host is using for the first Plex instance?

Nvmd, I just setup a different network and bridge and allowed it in docker settings (docker must be disabled first) and then linked the new container to that bridge instead of my default.

Edited by IamSpartacus

Plex becomes unresponsive after recent unRAID / Plex updates.  I keep unRaid updated as new patches come available from Limetech.  I usually wait about 3-5 days before updating to new patch.  For the past three to four weeks Plex (Linuxserver.io) has been coming unresponsive as random times.  Anyone else experiencing this issue?  I can only tie the issue to a resent upgrade either on the unRaid side or the docker side.  I have added a diagnostic file for reference.  I am currently running the latest build of unRAID and Plex docker.   storage2-diagnostics-20181113-1054.zip

18 minutes ago, chris0583 said:

Plex becomes unresponsive after recent unRAID / Plex updates.  I keep unRaid updated as new patches come available from Limetech.  I usually wait about 3-5 days before updating to new patch.  For the past three to four weeks Plex (Linuxserver.io) has been coming unresponsive as random times.  Anyone else experiencing this issue?  I can only tie the issue to a resent upgrade either on the unRaid side or the docker side.  I have added a diagnostic file for reference.  I am currently running the latest build of unRAID and Plex docker.   storage2-diagnostics-20181113-1054.zip

Could you elaborate on "unresponsive"? The Plex UI is unresponsive? Or Plex isn't serving media to your plex clients? Or ...

1 hour ago, trurl said:

If it works when you restart then I think it is likely you have something misconfigured. Post your docker run command as seen here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-real-docker-faq/#comment-564345

Constructor,

Wanted to thank you for taking the time to help me out.   Run command below

"root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='plexpass' -v '/mnt/user/Media/':'/media':'rw' -v '/tmp':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

c840860f4b1dd60b66df4da8b648d8ad97f3b190eb6f49a20e2ae8fd91168276"

image.thumb.png.3fbe428de693fcffc99335a8d7700c22.png

I've just updated to UNRAID 6.6.5 and Plex is no longer accessible remotely, but nothing has changed.

In the logs for Plex, I see the following warnings, which I assume is where the problem is?;

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv6 mDNS stack running on this host. This makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

It's been working fine until the latest update, so not sure where to look?

Unless it's not related to the above warning?