[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

22 minutes ago, daniel329 said:

Hey all - not sure if this is a known issue. But for the past week my Plex docker performance has been awful. I can't stream shows even locally (only 1 stream) and Unraid is showing near constant 100% CPU usage. I've tried disabling various dockers but it seems to directly be related to what is streaming's gonna plex. If I restart Plex it works for a few minutes then stops again. I used to easily be able to stream 5 connections. Core i5-4570 16GB of RAM with a 500GB SSD cache drive. 

Also weird - streaming seems to be much better in the web browser but bad in the iOS/Android App. 

Can only speak for myself but if i use my windows vm and set graphics card to intel on baord instead of VNC it crashes my i915 driver which affects my transcode ability in plex, if reboot and fixes itself until i try and use VM again with intel graphics. Doubt thats yer problem but only a suggestion

24 minutes ago, coblck said:

Can only speak for myself but if i use my windows vm and set graphics card to intel on baord instead of VNC it crashes my i915 driver which affects my transcode ability in plex, if reboot and fixes itself until i try and use VM again with intel graphics. Doubt thats yer problem but only a suggestion

Appreciate the tip. Unfortunately I am using VNC as my graphics card anyway...but having the issue even when the VM is off. :(

10 hours ago, saarg said:

You should use /mnt/cache for the /config mount if you have a cache drive. 

Read the Readme on github for how to use plexpass. Link in the first post. 

Thanks for the support guys! :)

One last Q, if i have appdata on cache only, isn't the config implicitly on the cache drive? 

44 minutes ago, DJay said:

Thanks for the support guys! :)

One last Q, if i have appdata on cache only, isn't the config implicitly on the cache drive? 

If appdata is on the cache drive, you should use /mnt/cache/appdata/plex for your /config mapping instead of /mnt/user/appdata/plex.  Although they both refer to the same physical location, many users have had issues with /mnt/user/... whereas /mnt/cache... seems to work more consistently.  You are less likely to have problems with /mnt/cache...

As you can see below, my /config mapping uses /mnt/user despite the recommendation of /mnt/cache

image.png.3623315ccff7509c18ce8d9aa4fc35d7.png

I had already installed and configured several dockers using /mnt/user before the recommendation to use /mnt/cache.  Since I have never experienced any issues with any dockers using /mnt/user I have been too lazy to change them.  Some day I may get burned, so, perhaps I should change them all as well. 😀

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, DJay said:

If appdata was originally created as cache-only and has only ever been set to cache-only, then you can be sure all of it is on cache. If not, then it depends on what else has happened. See here for the details:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2#comment-537383

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, cypres0099 said:

"You need to "tag" the repository with an appropriate version number instead of leaving it black (which defaults to :latest)  Ask in the particular support thread for what tag you should be utilizing."

How do I execute on this?

Are you asking for someone to tell you the previous version number so you can tag the repository with it, or, do you  know the version number and are asking for help in tagging it correctly in the docker?

If it is the former, go to the Plex Media Server announcements forum for release notes on all versions.  You can work back from the current version (at the end) to any version you think will solve your issues.

If it is the latter, see the GIthub or Docker Hub links in the first post of this forum and read the "Setting up the application" section.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Hoopster said:

If appdata is on the cache drive, you should use /mnt/cache/appdata/plex for your /config mapping instead of /mnt/user/appdata/plex.  Although they both refer to the same physical location, many users have had issues with /mnt/user/... whereas /mnt/cache... seems to work more consistently.  You are less likely to have problems with /mnt/cache...

As you can see below, my /config mapping uses /mnt/user despite the recommendation of /mnt/cache

image.png.3623315ccff7509c18ce8d9aa4fc35d7.png

I had already installed and configured several dockers using /mnt/user before the recommendation to use /mnt/cache.  Since I have never experienced any issues with any dockers using /mnt/user I have been too lazy to change them.  Some day I may get burned, so, perhaps I should change them all as well. 😀

I tried that, but as soon as I do this, the server is not reachable anymore.

In the Plex settings itself, I didn't find anything to adjust. Therefore I reverted for now.

You have an idea what I missed?

7 hours ago, trurl said:

If appdata was originally created as cache-only and has only ever been set to cache-only, then you can be sure all of it is on cache. If not, then it depends on what else has happened. See here for the details:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2#comment-537383

I had read that before, but thanks anyway :)

Looked for it to understand the different modes.

At start I had it to "cache only" but was a but unlucky with my intel ssd always "loosing" it's fs.

Now with a samsung ssd all works fine. 

3 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Are you asking for someone to tell you the previous version number so you can tag the repository with it, or, do you  know the version number and are asking for help in tagging it correctly in the docker?

If it is the former, go to the Plex Media Server announcements forum for release notes on all versions.  You can work back from the current version (at the end) to any version you think will solve your issues.

If it is the latter, see the GIthub or Docker Hub links in the first post of this forum and read the "Setting up the application" section.

@Hoopster Thanks for the help.

I went to the setting up section of those pages, but I don't see any option in my WebUI to change the version number like it's suggesting to do in the Setting Up Section.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

7 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Are you looking in the Plex docker edit page?

You should see the VERSION variable there which you edit with the appropriate tag.

image.png.5c66ca06f0e28bde26dedcb02f25def0.png

Ah ok, I did find it and was able to change it.  But after restarting the docker and logging out and back into the webui, the version is still 1.14.0.5465 

image.png.ba959e9c7f3efdffbfc4c14ce5da4303.png

3 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

Ah ok, I did find it and was able to change it.  But after restarting the docker and logging out and back into the webui, the version is still 1.14.0.5465 

image.png.ba959e9c7f3efdffbfc4c14ce5da4303.png

When you applied the change and clicked on Done in the edit page, it should have executed the docker run command with the changes.  Did that happen?  To force the docker run command to appear again, make another edit in the Plex edit page (you can just change any variable, path etc. slightly and then change it back to its original value), click Apply and then Done and then copy the docker run command when it is finished running and post it here.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

When you applied the change and clicked on Done in the edit page, it should have executed the docker run command with the changes.  Did that happen?  To force the docker run command to appear again, make another edit in the Plex edit page (you can just change any variable, path etc. slightly and then change it back to its original value), click Apply and then Done and then copy the docker run command when it is finished running and post it here.

Yes, it did execute a docker run command. I forced it again for good measure, but it's still on the same version.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='PlexMediaServer' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e 'PLEX_CLAIM'='claim-cpzsQgMWvkqB7uW3qnSd' -e 'PLEX_UID'='99' -e 'PLEX_GID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='1.13.9.5456' -v '/mnt/user':'/mnt/user':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Plex Media Server/':'/config':'rw' 'plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass' 
f8010f53a44ed3d95137304c335dfecd0a6d0e4ba6f4cae26d7dfca64834690

The command finished successfully!

4 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

Yes, it did execute a docker run command. I forced it again for good measure, but it's still on the same version.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='PlexMediaServer' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e 'PLEX_CLAIM'='claim-cpzsQgMWvkqB7uW3qnSd' -e 'PLEX_UID'='99' -e 'PLEX_GID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='1.13.9.5456' -v '/mnt/user':'/mnt/user':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Plex Media Server/':'/config':'rw' 'plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass' 
f8010f53a44ed3d95137304c335dfecd0a6d0e4ba6f4cae26d7dfca64834690

The command finished successfully!

One of the Linuxserver.io guys will have to comment on why specifying the version number failed to pull that version when the run command executed.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Don’t think you will but I found this on the downloads page-

1.13.9.5456-xxxxxxxxx

Thanks for finding that @wgstarks

I used that version number but it still is not changing the version on the webui general settings page.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='PlexMediaServer' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e 'PLEX_CLAIM'='claim-cpzsQgMWvkqB7uW3qnSd' -e 'PLEX_UID'='99' -e 'PLEX_GID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='1.13.9.5456-xxxxxxxxx' -v '/mnt/user':'/mnt/user':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex/Plex Media Server/':'/config':'rw' 'plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass' 
8e45b193f3fd58c00d18a675e504aa1763dd0160d9bb3e91774c8832855f723

23 hours ago, daniel329 said:

Hey all - not sure if this is a known issue. But for the past week my Plex docker performance has been awful. I can't stream shows even locally (only 1 stream) and Unraid is showing near constant 100% CPU usage. I've tried disabling various dockers but it seems to directly be related to what is streaming's gonna plex. If I restart Plex it works for a few minutes then stops again. I used to easily be able to stream 5 connections. Core i5-4570 16GB of RAM with a 500GB SSD cache drive. 

Update - I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling iOS apps as well as rebooting the server. Local stream (not transcode) maxes CPU to 100% according to the UnRaid dashboard. 

Plex Media Server Logs_2018-11-21_04-47-53.zip

Edited by daniel329
Updated with Logs