[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Yes, that CPU/iGPU should work. I have an i5-4590 in one of my servers and it works fine for hw transcoding.

Again, is your iGPU the primary graphics adapter in BIOS? Auto will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get what you mean. I'll restart and let you knwo now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5)navigate to “config” and find the “go file” --> make a copy (I called mine go_orig)
https://imgur.com/DZM9yyA 14

6)open the Go file (NOT THE COPY) with wordpad / notepad/ notepad++ or similar
and make it equal to mine then SAVE & CLOSE the go file

Copy to clipboard

#!/bin/bash # Start the Management Utility /usr/local/sbin/emhttp & #enable module for iGPU and perms for the render device modprobe i915 chown -R nobody:user /dev/dri chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

https://imgur.com/GJRG9s0 15

go to you docker tab and click on Plex
https://imgur.com/wDE2oiF 14

upper righ clich on basic view button (upper right - will become advanced)
https://imgur.com/k1aYxUv 15

find extra parameter line and write in it exaxctly
--device /dev/dri:/dev/dri

https://imgur.com/Xazlmt7 20

then “APPLY” at the end of docker setting.

Reboot you server, DONE !!!

18 minutes ago, gacpac said:

I get what you mean. I'll restart and let you knwo now.

It's not showing yet. 

I have enabled the IGD as the primary and preallocated memory is set to 512mb. It should get detected right?

there's no /dev/dri in my server. Any other way to check?

4 minutes ago, gacpac said:

It's not showing yet. 

I have enabled the IGD as the primary and preallocated memory is set to 512mb. It should get detected right?

Did you modify your go file to enable the iGPU? 

It's mentioned above, but the post is a little bit messy. 

Add the below to the go file. 

modprobe i915

chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri/

chmod -R 777 /dev/dri/

It's not showing yet. 

Have you run ‘modprobe i915’ from the command line to load drivers?

23 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Have you run ‘modprobe i915’ from the command line to load drivers?

I just did.

I added the driver at the go configuration. 

Didn't have to add the extra parameters to plex. Do I have to?

image.png.f39328aa6212c480dd43c917b639f45e.png

I'm getting also this error. 

image.thumb.png.ceb3b4525389639367c9e135d90d8373.png

And the transcoding works fast but fast scenes look bad.  

And the transcoding works fast but fast scenes look bad.  

Anything less than 720p 4mbps can look bad with hardware transcoding. That’s my minimum setting. Even in some fast/dark scenes that might not be enough. That’s a trade off of hw transcoding vs. software (CPU) transcoding.

5 minutes ago, coblck said:

Your chip doesnt support hevc 

Understandable. 

4 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Anything less than 720p 4mbps can look bad with hardware transcoding. That’s my minimum setting. Even in some fast/dark scenes that might not be enough. That’s a trade off of hw transcoding vs. software (CPU) transcoding.

All my files are 1080p and some are 4K. So I'm using hw with the integrated Graphics card meaning my cpu, Software Transcoding uses the CPU.

So then. Plain and simple how to mitigate this? Special setting or getting a big ass Graphics card to do that. 

Then I paid the plexpass for nothing if I'm better using my CPU for transcoding, which I'm cool with it.

Edited by gacpac
Oh yes it looks horrible. The quality is awful, it's pixelated. 

With your CPU you are limited to 1080p transcoding. It does not support HEVC/4K/UHD.

You should have /dev/dri drivers in either Extra Parameters or as a device definition in the docker container.

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

With your CPU you are limited to 1080p transcoding. It does not support HEVC/4K/UHD.

You should have /dev/dri drivers in either Extra Parameters or as a device definition in the docker container.

Yeah, the funny thing was I'm able to transcode quickly without using HW transcoding meaning the CPU as someone stated above.

All my files are 1080p and some are 4K. So I'm using hw with the integrated Graphics card meaning my cpu, Software Transcoding uses the CPU.

So then. Plain and simple how to mitigate this? Special setting or getting a big ass Graphics card to do that. 

Then I paid the plexpass for nothing if I'm better using my CPU for transcoding, which I'm cool with it.

The only advantage of hardware transcoding over software transcoding is load on the CPU. HW transcoding pushes the load off to the GPU but is lower quality at lower bitrates.

You can also have far more simultaneous transcodes with hw vs. sw transcoding.

If you don’t need the CPU doing other tasks while transcoding is going on or you don’t have a need for more than a couple of simultaneous transcodes, software transcoding results in better quality at lower settings.

2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

The only advantage of hardware transcoding over software transcoding is load on the CPU. HW transcoding pushes the load off to the GPU but is lower quality at lower bitrates.

You can also have far more simultaneous transcodes with hw vs. sw transcoding.

If you don’t need the CPU doing other tasks while transcoding is going on or you don’t have a need for more than a couple of simultaneous transcodes, software transcoding results in better quality at lower settings.

Got you. But then simple. If I get a good graphics card, better than integrated? I should be able to hardware transcode with better quality let's say I have 4K videos and 3 people in the house watching them. Right?

Got you. But then simple. If I get a good graphics card, better than integrated? I should be able to hardware transcode with better quality let's say I have 4K videos and 3 people in the house watching them. Right?

You’ll need to use the UnRAID nVidia plugin from Linuxserver.io as there are no discrete GPU drivers in UnRAID.

Consumer GPUs (probably want a 1060 or higher) are limited to two simultaneous transcodes. You’ll need at least a P2000 if you want more. Yes, they do 4K.

If your devices can direct stream content locally you don’t even need transcoding.

4 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

You’ll need to use the UnRAID nVidia plugin from Linuxserver.io as there are no discrete GPU drivers in UnRAID.

Consumer GPUs (probably want a 1060 or higher) are limited to two simultaneous transcodes. You’ll need at least a P2000 if you want more. Yes, they do 4K.

If your devices can direct stream content locally you don’t even need transcoding.

Sometimes goes back to transcoding because of the device or if there's a codec that cannot be played natively. 

I never thought about enabling HW-acceleration. Just enabled it and transcoding seems to work better for HEVC.

Having said this, is this even possible? I have an i7-7800X that - from what I know - does not have an iGPU. I have an Nvidia 1060, but that's passed through to my VM. So, is this even possible?

Does it use the GPU (Nvidia) even though it is passed-through? Does it make a difference whether the VM is on or not?

If you use the UnRAID NVidia plugin for discrete GPU transcoding you still need the Plex Pass. Any hardware transcoding is a Plex Pass feature.

Yes. That I know. I'll see what can I do with that. For now the sync and the ability to add users I like. Might keep it for that, but definitely I'll keep using transcoding with the CPU since I don't do much.

1 hour ago, steve1977 said:

I never thought about enabling HW-acceleration. Just enabled it and transcoding seems to work better for HEVC.

Having said this, is this even possible? I have an i7-7800X that - from what I know - does not have an iGPU. I have an Nvidia 1060, but that's passed through to my VM. So, is this even possible?

Does it use the GPU (Nvidia) even though it is passed-through? Does it make a difference whether the VM is on or not?

What exactly did you do? 

Ticked the allow hardware acceleration in plex and that is all? 

You need to install the unraid nvidia plugin and add some stuff to the container template to get it to work. So if you didn't do that, you are not using hardware transcoding. 

• Like 1