[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

Your appdata and system shares have files on the array. You will have to disable docker and VM services and run mover so they can get moved to cache where they belong.

What does that mean? The cache disk was added yesterday, I've had two corruptions before that, without cache.

Docker configs are as I said nothing special, from the default they only have a share volume added for the media.

docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/user/media/':'/media/':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex'

docker run -d --name='PlexMediaServer' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PLEX_CLAIM'='xxx' -e 'PLEX_UID'='99' -e 'PLEX_GID'='100' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex_transcode':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/media':'/data':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'plexinc/pms-docker'

Some users (not myself) have issues with the odd container (like Plex) when they specify their appdata mapping as /mnt/user/appdata/plex (NB: no one has ever been able to point out exactly why, so no one is able to fix this issue).  After you do what @trurl suggests (running mover to get everything consolidated on the cache drive), edit the template for Plex and change the host mapping for /config (under show more settings) to be /mnt/cache/appdata/plex

18 minutes ago, pether said:

The cache disk was added yesterday

Then you will want your dockers and VMs to take advantage of it so they won't keep parity and array disks spinning and won't be affected by the slower parity writes.

37 minutes ago, Squid said:

Some users (not myself) have issues with the odd container (like Plex) when they specify their appdata mapping as /mnt/user/appdata/plex (NB: no one has ever been able to point out exactly why, so no one is able to fix this issue).  After you do what @trurl suggests (running mover to get everything consolidated on the cache drive), edit the template for Plex and change the host mapping for /config (under show more settings) to be /mnt/cache/appdata/plex 

25 minutes ago, trurl said:

Then you will want your dockers and VMs to take advantage of it so they won't keep parity and array disks spinning and won't be affected by the slower parity writes.

I've made sure everything has moved, and changed docker settings. But i fail to see how this would have caused the database corruption.

20 minutes ago, pether said:

But i fail to see how this would have caused the database corruption.

As I said, some users have problems with using /mnt/user/appdata on certain apps (I don't).  To date, no one has ever been able to point out to @limetech what the actual problem is with /mnt/user vs /mnt/cache, so no fix thus far has been put into place. 

50 minutes ago, pether said:

I've made sure everything has moved, and changed docker settings. But i fail to see how this would have caused the database corruption.

Not saying it did, just some advice based on other things I saw in your diagnostics. Having cache-prefer things stuck on the array is very common when you enable dockers and VMs before installing cache.

You can see how much of each disk each of your user shares is using by going to User Shares and clicking Compute... or the Compute All button. You will have to wait a bit for the results.

2 minutes ago, gacpac said:

Today I'm trying to play something in plex and I'm getting this error from the logs.

image.thumb.png.757ad097061e31b3db0b481d550a74a6.png

And I have other movies using AC3 codec that work fine. I'm kind of confused. 

Okay I deleted the audio codec and now it plays. 

But I still got this error, should I be worried?

image.thumb.png.c1f5121c131444db450beddb9157b93d.png

I am trying to troubleshoot a play back issue with files reporting their codec as "aac_lc" over on the Plex Forums. The Plex team member Movie.Fan is saying that he believes Plex isn't starting properly. Or possibly because Plex is dockerized he isn't seeing the normal startup procedure. 

Either way this has brought my troubleshooting efforts to a stand still as I don't have the knowledge necessary to explain the difference between docker plex vs non-docker plex and how they startup/shutdown. Any of the LinuxServer.io folks or any docker creator really want to take a stab at assisting me?

Is there somewhere in UnRAID I can get the info he wants? It looks like most of the container startup is scripted and isn't very verbose in the docker logs...

Relevant thread on plex forums: https://forums.plex.tv/t/error-transcoder-unknown-decoder-aac-lc/409225/

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently one of the new server or web player updates must have resolved my issue. All episodes play back fine now.

Edited by weirdcrap
further questions.

Hello guys,

since like some days my plex is acting weird. The playback of most of the stuff on my server doesn't work correctly and when I look into the docker container log, it shows this:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Atempting to upgrade to: 1.15.6.1079-78232c603
2019-05-23 20:00:00 URL:https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.15.6.1079-78232c603/debian/plexmediaserver_1.15.6.1079-78232c603_amd64.deb [78875770/78875770] -> "/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.15.6.1079-78232c603_amd64.deb" [1]
(Reading database ... 10421 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_1.15.6.1079-78232c603_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.15.6.1079-78232c603) over (1.15.4.994-107756f7e) ...
Setting up plexmediaserver (1.15.6.1079-78232c603) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.
connect: Connection refused

These connect: Connection refused messages come up when I try to playback things and all acting choppy...

Never had issues before. Does someone have a clue?

Thanks in advance!

Fixing a Malformed/Corrupted PLEX Database.

Hi, all. I'm just here to update you on the "Starting Plex Media Server" issue. For me it was caused by a very malformed database file. I followed this guide which has worked perfectly. I've had a few more corruptions (brought about by failing hardware that I've replaced) but I've been able to bring my library back each time. 

I wrote this script to automate much of the process, and do some of the most basic backup management (creating backups if your database isn't corrupt/malformed and you agree to a prompt). 

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR TO SET THE TOP 2 VARIABLES!

They're fairly self-explanatory, but here is what you set them to:

appdata_directory > Your appdata directory

plex_container_name > The name of your plex container

(the defaults for those are "/mnt/user/appdata" and "plex" respectively)

This script requires SQLite3 if you do not have it installed:

image.thumb.png.277bae36b99db071b93c5abfe92c59bd.png

1. Go to Community Applications 

2. Install the Dev Pack                 

3. Go to "Settings" in UNRAID      

4. Open Dev Pack                         

5. Enable (install) SQLite3            

6. Retry pmsDB.sh                       

Also, please keep in mind that I wrote this script with this linuxserver.io image of plex in mind, it should(?) still work with other plex dockers if you edit the paths in the script, but I'm making no guarantees.

Download ScriptpmsDB.sh

plexlog.png.e6152f7c2dbebc93c126aaa908b9f403.png

***EDIT - 5/24/19***

I just updated the script to fix one of my checks (for sqlite3) and improved the error reporting (slightly).

Edited by naturalcarr
Flushing out some edge cases for the script
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, dbinott said:

Gladly give it, but the OP does not state what you would require.

I can give you this. What else do you require?

Unraid 6.7.0 nvidia version

image.thumb.png.44dcd7e1eefc545ca6b972658d09f5b0.png

Assuming this is a fresh install, go to http://unraidip:32400/web from a computer that is in the same network subnet as unraid

If the subnet is different, you can use the ssh tunnel method described at the bottom of this page under on a different network: https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288586-installation/

18 hours ago, aptalca said:

Assuming this is a fresh install, go to http://unraidip:32400/web from a computer that is in the same network subnet as unraid

If the subnet is different, you can use the ssh tunnel method described at the bottom of this page under on a different network: https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288586-installation/

yes, been using plex for years. It will usually say there is an unclaimed server nearby, or just a server nearby, but neither of those options coming up. Just my friends remote one. When I revert to binhex version, after deleting it from authorized devices, I get that server nearby message.

Edited by dbinott
On 5/23/2019 at 8:11 PM, pappaq said:

Hello guys,

since like some days my plex is acting weird. The playback of most of the stuff on my server doesn't work correctly and when I look into the docker container log, it shows this:

These connect: Connection refused messages come up when I try to playback things and all acting choppy...

Never had issues before. Does someone have a clue?

Thanks in advance!

Rolled back to unraid 6.6.7 and everythings works fine again...I don't have time to investigate right now but I will report back, when the problems come back, if I upgrade to 6.7.0 again.

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago I updated to UNraid 6.7 and shortly thereafter my plex DB kept corrupting itself and I had to restore from a backup multiple times. I rolled back to UNraid 6.6.7 and everything has been fine since. I noticed my plex docker updated a few days ago and I'm wondering if I should try updating UNraid to 6.7 again. 

Did anyone else have a similar experience and are you now running UNraid 6.7 after the most recent Plex docker upgrade?

I had the most recent Plex docker, and I was getting corruption of my DB with 6.7.  Rolling back to 6.6.7 stabilized everything.  

I've been reading through the forums here and people have stated that the config files should be on the cache drive...but I do not have one.  They also stated that you should put the config files on a single disk rather than on the "array".  But I went for over a year with zero problems the way mine was configured (no cache, and on the array)....it only started to corrupt with 6.7.  

So I'm waiting a while before I upgrade...and "studying" some more.  

On 5/29/2019 at 10:46 PM, Rich Minear said:

I had the most recent Plex docker, and I was getting corruption of my DB with 6.7.  Rolling back to 6.6.7 stabilized everything.  

I've been reading through the forums here and people have stated that the config files should be on the cache drive...but I do not have one.  They also stated that you should put the config files on a single disk rather than on the "array".  But I went for over a year with zero problems the way mine was configured (no cache, and on the array)....it only started to corrupt with 6.7.  

So I'm waiting a while before I upgrade...and "studying" some more.  

I wonder if we have a similar situation then. I do have a cache drive, but I don't use it for my Plex config because the PhotoTranscoder volume can take up a ton of space with the way I use Plex and my cache pool isn't every large.

Still I wonder why using an array disk instead of a cache disk would have the effect of corrupting the Plex DB, if its related at all.