[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

27 minutes ago, knalbone said:

Still I wonder why using an array disk instead of a cache disk would have the effect of corrupting the Plex DB, if its related at all.

The problem isn’t necessarily related to which disk you use, rather the path to the disk. Problems have been reported using /mnt/user/appdata/ and were solved using /mnt/diskX/appdata/ or /mnt/cache/appdata/ whichever is appropriate.

You could probably easily test to see if this resolves your problem by changing appdata to use a single disk and moving all the files there.

1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

The problem isn’t necessarily related to which disk you use, rather the path to the disk. Problems have been reported using /mnt/user/appdata/ and were solved using /mnt/diskX/appdata/ or /mnt/cache/appdata/ whichever is appropriate.

You could probably easily test to see if this resolves your problem by changing appdata to use a single disk and moving all the files there.

I am in fact using a single disk for my Plex config. So I must not have the same issues that others may have run into. 

I'm mostly curious if anyone who experience Plex DB corruption with UNraid 6.7 has seen the issue resolved since earlier this month. 

2 hours ago, knalbone said:

I am in fact using a single disk for my Plex config.

That is not the point. It is whether or not the mapping is actually a path to the specific disk, or it is a path to a user share.

It is very common to have the appdata user share as cache-only, so it is all on a single disk. But if you have it like that, you could either refer to it as /mnt/cache/appdata, or you could refer to it as /mnt/user/appdata.

Either way it is on a single disk, but some people experience problems when using /mnt/user/appdata. The hypothesis is that somehow the user shares break the database.

Hi, I am unable to delete the "Plex Versions" folder created by Plex from my SMB share.

Per google my problem with this is not unique, but I did not find a conclusive answer on how to prevent it from happening, vs. chmod to restore access.

Unraid share: /media

Permissions set to private, RW access for user "Pieter"

SMB accessed from Win10 via user "Pieter"

All media originally copied from a W2K16 server using robocopy.

Typical permissions of content coming from my SMB account:

root@Server-1:~# ls -la /mnt/user/media/Movies/Aquaman\ \(2018\)
-rw-rw-rw- 1 pieter users 15260151084 Mar  5 08:19 Aquaman\ (2018).mkv

Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, all LSIO Docker, configured to run with UID 99 / nobody and GID 100 / users.

All have a /media path mapped to my /mnt/user/media share.

Example of content created by Radarr or Sonarr:

root@Server-1:~# ls -la "/mnt/user/media/Movies/The Upside (2017)"/
-rw-rw-rw- 1  65534 users 11738762701 Jun  1 00:18 The\ Upside\ (2017).mkv

Example of content created by Plex, that I cannot delete from user pieter over SMB:

root@Server-1:~# ls -la "/mnt/user/media/Movies/Aquaman (2018)"
-rw-rw-rw- 1 pieter users 15260151084 Mar  5 08:19 Aquaman\ (2018).mkv
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users          38 May 26 11:23 Plex\ Versions/

root@Server-1:~# ls -la "/mnt/user/media/Movies/Aquaman (2018)/Plex Versions/"
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   6 May 26 11:23 Optimized\ for\ TV/

The view from Windows:

C:\Users\piete>icacls "\\STORAGE\media\Movies\Aquaman (2018)\*.*"
\\STORAGE\media\Movies\Aquaman (2018)\Aquaman (2018).mkv S-1-5-21-9595238-3571069986-2878196060-3000:(R,W)
                                                         S-1-22-2-100:(R,W)

\\STORAGE\media\Movies\Aquaman (2018)\Plex Versions S-1-22-1-99:(F)
                                                    S-1-22-2-100:(RX)
                                                    Everyone:(RX)
C:\Users\piete>icacls "\\STORAGE\media\Movies\The Upside (2017)\*.*"
\\STORAGE\media\Movies\The Upside (2017)\The Upside (2017).mkv S-1-22-1-65534:(R,W)
                                                               S-1-22-2-100:(R,W)
                                                               Everyone:(R,W)

The content created by Sabnzbd / Sonarr / Radarr are created under user 65534, and I don't know what this user is, or why it is not the UID nobody that was specified by the container UID setting?

Anyway, I can modify this content since the Windows SMB user has Write rights.

We can see that the Plex created "Plex Versions" folder only grants Read and Execute rights to the Windows\Everyone group and the Linux\users group, and full rights to the Unix\nobody user.

his means that I can read the folders created by Plex from Windows, but I cannot delete them.

How should I be configuring my containers, and specifically Plex, such that the content created by Plex, can be modified by other users over SMB?

2019-06-01 (3).png

2019-06-01 (1).png

2019-06-01 (2).png

Hi, I am unable to delete the "Plex Versions" folder created by Plex from my SMB share.
Per google my problem with this is not unique, but I did not find a conclusive answer on how to prevent it from happening, vs. chmod to restore access.

Unraid share: /media
Permissions set to private, RW access for user "Pieter"
SMB accessed from Win10 via user "Pieter"

All media originally copied from a W2K16 server using robocopy.
Typical permissions of content coming from my SMB account:
root@Server-1:~# ls -la /mnt/user/media/Movies/Aquaman\ \(2018\)-rw-rw-rw- 1 pieter users 15260151084 Mar  5 08:19 Aquaman\ (2018).mkv

Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, all LSIO Docker, configured to run with UID 99 / nobody and GID 100 / users.
All have a /media path mapped to my /mnt/user/media share.

Example of content created by Radarr or Sonarr:

root@Server-1:~# ls -la "/mnt/user/media/Movies/The Upside (2017)"/-rw-rw-rw- 1  65534 users 11738762701 Jun  1 00:18 The\ Upside\ (2017).mkv

Example of content created by Plex, that I cannot delete from user pieter over SMB:

root@Server-1:~# ls -la "/mnt/user/media/Movies/Aquaman (2018)"-rw-rw-rw- 1 pieter users 15260151084 Mar  5 08:19 Aquaman\ (2018).mkvdrwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users          38 May 26 11:23 Plex\ Versions/root@Server-1:~# ls -la "/mnt/user/media/Movies/Aquaman (2018)/Plex Versions/"drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   6 May 26 11:23 Optimized\ for\ TV/

The view from Windows:

C:\Users\piete>icacls "\\STORAGE\media\Movies\Aquaman (2018)\*.*"\\STORAGE\media\Movies\Aquaman (2018)\Aquaman (2018).mkv S-1-5-21-9595238-3571069986-2878196060-3000:(R,W)                                                        S-1-22-2-100:(R,W)\\STORAGE\media\Movies\Aquaman (2018)\Plex Versions S-1-22-1-99:(F)                                                   S-1-22-2-100:(RX)                                                   Everyone:(RX)

C:\Users\piete>icacls "\\STORAGE\media\Movies\The Upside (2017)\*.*"\\STORAGE\media\Movies\The Upside (2017)\The Upside (2017).mkv S-1-22-1-65534:(R,W)                                                              S-1-22-2-100:(R,W)                                                              Everyone:(R,W)

The content created by Sabnzbd / Sonarr / Radarr are created under user 65534, and I don't know what this user is, or why it is not the UID nobody that was specified by the container UID setting?
Anyway, I can modify this content since the Windows SMB user has Write rights.

We can see that the Plex created "Plex Versions" folder only grants Read and Execute rights to the Windows\Everyone group and the Linux\users group, and full rights to the Unix\nobody user.
his means that I can read the folders created by Plex from Windows, but I cannot delete them.

How should I be configuring my containers, and specifically Plex, such that the content created by Plex, can be modified by other users over SMB?

284649553_2019-06-01(3).png.0a0b59704606dc1f10e3cc4abcb0c215.png
1185852317_2019-06-01(1).png.98631e63a1b808d7d94b934ac04e7045.png
343009026_2019-06-01(2).png.ed696bba2395464ccca3b7ffa606c7da.png

Hey. Have you used a in tools an option called

"docker safe new permissions"

That clears the permissions overridden by a docker container. It should do the trick very quickly.

Also you can use the "set new permissions" to do it to an specific share or disk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, gacpac said:

Hey. Have you used a in tools an option called

"docker safe new permissions"

That clears the permissions overridden by a docker container. It should do the trick very quickly.

Also you can use the "set new permissions" to do it to an specific share or disk.

I could, but I do not want to go and fix permissions over and over.

I am trying configure the systems such that new content created by containers are created as nobody/users with RW permissions, as specified in the UID config of the container, or in whatever way possible such that any other account in the users group can modify the same content.

I could, but I do not want to go and fix permissions over and over.
I am trying configure the systems such that new content created by containers are created as nobody/users with RW permissions, as specified in the UID config of the container, or in whatever way possible such that any other account in the users group can modify the same content.

I don't know what to tell you. Since it doesn't happen to me as often, I just use the option, since it's there for something. Maybe someone else can jump in and help :S

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, gacpac said:

@ptr727 I just remembered why I don't get problems anymore. 

There's a setting inside sonarr and radarr respectively. I don't know if Sabnzbd has that function. 

That should do it 100% 

Have you set this up?

image.thumb.png.b7fea744606ebbfca797fbe3a984eb64.png

I am setting permissions in Sonarr and Radarr, just like yours, but it does not explain the weird user id.

The problem folder where I have no rights is created by Plex.

56 minutes ago, ptr727 said:

The problem folder where I have no rights is created by Plex.

There is a setting in Plex that creates transcoded versions of the videos. That is what is creating those folders. If you disable this feature in Plex it’ll stop creating the folders. Sorry, can’t remember exactly what it’s called.

Did some digging. It's "optimized versions". You can select it in the various libraries and choose where the folder is created. "In folders with original items" is the default.

Edited by wgstarks
Just now, wgstarks said:

There is a setting in Plex that creates transcoded versions of the videos. That is what is creating those folders. If you disable this feature in Plex it’ll stop creating the folders. Sorry, can’t remember exactly what it’s called.

Yes, optimized versions, I do sometimes need that, just not the folder permissions Plex uses.

3 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

The Plex app is using its own permissions I imagine. It will use them wherever it stores the files. You could choose to store them separately from your media folder though if they are causing problems there.

Precisely, I am looking for a way to have Plex NOT use it's own user when setting permissions, but to use the UID I set in the docker config.

Im running into a strange problem and not sure where to look. Every few days, my plex server stops accepting connections and the only way i can seem to fix it is by restarting.

• i can still open a terminal in the docker, so i don't think the docker itself is crashed.
  • The plex logs and unraid logs don't seem to have any errors or notification.
  • Plex is configured to use HOST networking

Any Ideas?

Metadata is not downloading anymore.

Hi all, since upgrading to 6.7 I got database corruption issues. I managed to use a backup and things seem to be stable now.

However, for some reason (and I do not know if it is related to the corruption/backup process), new movies and TV shows files are recognized, included in the database, but NO metadata gets downloaded using the different agents.

I am really pulling my hair out and do not understand what is going on. The circle keeps on going round and round, the video screenshot (used as movie poster) keeps on flashing for some reason, and nothing gets downloaded.

I cleared cache/trash/flushed/cleaned bundles, nothing gets downloaded.

Deluge/radarr/sonarr are connecting to the internet with no issue.

Can anyone help me?

I am posting my log files here as well.

Thanks

EDIT: I did downgrade unraid back to its previous version, 6.6.7, and replaced the Plex database with a backup. All is working now.

Still, it looks like I cannot upgrade unraid to 6.7, can anyone let me know why?

Plex Media Server Logs_2019-06-08_18-00-10.zip

Edited by Deazo
On 6/7/2019 at 9:18 PM, ADDAndy said:

Im running into a strange problem and not sure where to look. Every few days, my plex server stops accepting connections and the only way i can seem to fix it is by restarting.

• i can still open a terminal in the docker, so i don't think the docker itself is crashed.
  • The plex logs and unraid logs don't seem to have any errors or notification.
  • Plex is configured to use HOST networking

Any Ideas?

I've been having this issue the last month or so, and it looks like others on linux are as well. I've read a post on plex forums regarding the crash... but cant seem to find it now. I've also been having issues if I click force update on plex where it either crashes my server, or kills all networking where I have to hard reboot my server to gain access again. This morning was the first time clicking force restart actually shut my server down (turned off completly). Since it shut my server right off, i can't grab the logs

Edited by clowrym
I've been having this issue the last month or so, and it looks like others on linux are as well. I've read a post on plex forums regarding the crash... but cant seem to find it now. I've also been having issues if I click force update on plex where it either crashes my server, or kills all networking where I have to hard reboot my server to gain access again. This morning was the first time clicking force restart actually shut my server down (turned off completly). Since it shut my server right off, i can't grab the logs
That's weird. What if it's the build you are on? I use the public version in the container settings if that helps.

16 minutes ago, gacpac said:

That's weird. What if it's the build you are on? I use the public version in the container settings if that helps.

could be I suppose, I've always been on the plexpass version

I believe this was the post regarding the crash ive been seeing every couple days https://forums.plex.tv/t/ubuntu-18-04-2-lts-plex-server-crashes-double-free-or-corruption-prev/385447

as far as force update killing my server, its only the plex docker that causes this.

Edited by clowrym
added info

Hi guys.. I have LinuxServer.io docker and ran into some issues. Plex does not transcode supported audio for iOS or tvOS. So I searched everywhere on google and Plex forums, they mentioned this issue is common and it can be fixed through XML. XML can be found easily when Plex is installed on windows but I couldn't find it in unraid directory. Even though there were some threads responses on the same issue stating a directory but other replies indicated that the XML is now hidden and not available. I've seen some ways to copy the file through CLI then paste it somewhere else, make the edits and then replace the original but I failed or unable to do it. I'm not of an IT background but I try my best to follow steps from here and there so I would appreciate some clarity in the instructions :) 

Thanks in advance

I recently moved my Plex system to use the linuxserver.io plex docker. All seems well except occasionally I see a half second blip on screen during playback. I thought it might be related to the transcode folder, since it looks like it is going to the array. I tried to move it to tmp, but that made the problem worse, even causing some content to not play at all. I also noticed that using Plex.tv webgui it tends to skip ahead 5 seconds or so several times. Any thoughts on what is causing this? 

I had no problems like this running Plex under the PhaZe plugin.

Dale