[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I recently moved my Plex system to use the linuxserver.io plex docker. All seems well except occasionally I see a half second blip on screen during playback. I thought it might be related to the transcode folder, since it looks like it is going to the array. I tried to move it to tmp, but that made the problem worse, even causing some content to not play at all. I also noticed that using Plex.tv webgui it tends to skip ahead 5 seconds or so several times. Any thoughts on what is causing this? 

I had no problems like this running Plex under the PhaZe plugin.

Dale
Try using the transcode folder in ram or the cache drive (ssd).

Search up in the forums. Something similar happened to me and I found it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I posted this over on Reddit, but wondered if anyone could help here.

I suppose I should have listened to the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but I didn't and decided to update the BIOS on my MSI motherboard. After experiencing an issue with the system fans all running at full speed after the update I decided to revert back to the original BIOS version. Upon restarting Unraid everything looked fine and sounded fine too! But upon trying to open the Unraid GUI I am faced with the error page "The site can't be reached". I can't even access it through the web either via plex.tv/desktop. I use to use a different docker for Plex and eventually changed over to linuxservers Plex docker, so I used the old appdata (PlexMediaServer) directory on linuxserver Plex docker to keep all my metadata and the like. Now if I use the original appdata directory (plex) it will let me show a plex related page but only for claiming my server, but of course, I have already done this. So it seems that when using the PlexMediaServer directory nothing works but the standard one does. All my other dockers work fine and as expected I even tried uninstalling the docker and reinstalling, but still to no avail.

Does anyway have any helpful tips for this issue? Thanks in advance!

(Not sure best place to find logs to post either to help pinpoint issues)

25 minutes ago, cdevlin said:

I posted this over on Reddit, but wondered if anyone could help here.

I suppose I should have listened to the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but I didn't and decided to update the BIOS on my MSI motherboard. After experiencing an issue with the system fans all running at full speed after the update I decided to revert back to the original BIOS version. Upon restarting Unraid everything looked fine and sounded fine too! But upon trying to open the Unraid GUI I am faced with the error page "The site can't be reached". I can't even access it through the web either via plex.tv/desktop. I use to use a different docker for Plex and eventually changed over to linuxservers Plex docker, so I used the old appdata (PlexMediaServer) directory on linuxserver Plex docker to keep all my metadata and the like. Now if I use the original appdata directory (plex) it will let me show a plex related page but only for claiming my server, but of course, I have already done this. So it seems that when using the PlexMediaServer directory nothing works but the standard one does. All my other dockers work fine and as expected I even tried uninstalling the docker and reinstalling, but still to no avail.

Does anyway have any helpful tips for this issue? Thanks in advance!

(Not sure best place to find logs to post either to help pinpoint issues)

Let's see if I got this correctly.

• Upgraded and downgraded bios.
  • No unraid gui.
  • No access to plex.
  • Changed to our container using same appdata as previous plugin/container.
  • Still no plex.

If that is the case, you should fix unraid before trying to get plex running. Then start fresh with our container as we don't support migrating from another container/plugin.

On 6/8/2019 at 9:01 AM, Deazo said:

Metadata is not downloading anymore.

Hi all, since upgrading to 6.7 I got database corruption issues. I managed to use a backup and things seem to be stable now.

However, for some reason (and I do not know if it is related to the corruption/backup process), new movies and TV shows files are recognized, included in the database, but NO metadata gets downloaded using the different agents.

I am really pulling my hair out and do not understand what is going on. The circle keeps on going round and round, the video screenshot (used as movie poster) keeps on flashing for some reason, and nothing gets downloaded.

I cleared cache/trash/flushed/cleaned bundles, nothing gets downloaded.

Deluge/radarr/sonarr are connecting to the internet with no issue.

Can anyone help me?

I am posting my log files here as well.

Thanks

EDIT: I did downgrade unraid back to its previous version, 6.6.7, and replaced the Plex database with a backup. All is working now.

Still, it looks like I cannot upgrade unraid to 6.7, can anyone let me know why?

Plex Media Server Logs_2019-06-08_18-00-10.zip 2.96 MB · 0 downloads

I'm hitting this as well.  I spent days looking at my internet connection and DNS to figure out what's going on.  At least now I have an idea what the culprit is.  Have you opened a bug on the Github page (https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex/issues)?  That may be the best way to get a response.  

16 minutes ago, drsparks68 said:

I'm hitting this as well.  I spent days looking at my internet connection and DNS to figure out what's going on.  At least now I have an idea what the culprit is.  Have you opened a bug on the Github page (https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex/issues)?  That may be the best way to get a response.  

The corruption is not something we can fix and issues related to plex should be directed to plex and not us. Don't see how the container is the reason for not downloading the metadata.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:56 PM, uaeproz said:

Hi guys.. I have LinuxServer.io docker and ran into some issues. Plex does not transcode supported audio for iOS or tvOS. So I searched everywhere on google and Plex forums, they mentioned this issue is common and it can be fixed through XML. XML can be found easily when Plex is installed on windows but I couldn't find it in unraid directory. Even though there were some threads responses on the same issue stating a directory but other replies indicated that the XML is now hidden and not available. I've seen some ways to copy the file through CLI then paste it somewhere else, make the edits and then replace the original but I failed or unable to do it. I'm not of an IT background but I try my best to follow steps from here and there so I would appreciate some clarity in the instructions :) 

Thanks in advance

Ok guys now just something weird happened to my plex aside from the issue I mentioned in the above post.

I just changed my server boot mode from legacy to UEFI

Add this to my go file:

#!/bin/bash
#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Add this this in the docker extra parameters:

--device /dev/dri:/dev/dri

Also tried this:

--device=/dev/dri

Now the weird thing is that some of TV episode is showing UNAVAILABLE in red box but some is playing fine. Also when I press scan TV SHOWS, it scan for literally 2 - 3 seconds and stops and it says scan is complete.

I checked the share and drive mappings, nothing changed. I tried to transcode of the cache, same issue.

What went wrong and how to fix this?

Many thanks,

Abdulla

UNAVAILABLE.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20190611-2346.zip

1 hour ago, saarg said:

Let's see if I got this correctly.

• Upgraded and downgraded bios.
  • No unraid gui.
  • No access to plex.
  • Changed to our container using same appdata as previous plugin/container.
  • Still no plex.

If that is the case, you should fix unraid before trying to get plex running. Then start fresh with our container as we don't support migrating from another container/plugin.

• Yes, I upgraded and downgraded BIOS. The downgrade solved my fan issue so I was sure I was back to normality. 
  • There is no access to gui just says "192.168.0.25 refused to connect"
  • I haven't just changed to the linuxserver container. I did this well over a year ago and has been working perfectly. It just stopped working after BIOS scenario. What I was pointing out was that when I originally changed over to the linuxserver container I used the appdata from the original container but as I just mentioned this has been working successfully for a very long time since I did the change. But if i change the appdata back to the one that is created with the container it will allow me to access gui, but of course this doesn't have my saved settings etc so asks to 'claim the server'.

Hope that makes more sense, sorry for any confusion. Just trying to understand if BIOS up/downgrade is at fault.

1 hour ago, cdevlin said:
  • Yes, I upgraded and downgraded BIOS. The downgrade solved my fan issue so I was sure I was back to normality. 
  • There is no access to gui just says "192.168.0.25 refused to connect"
  • I haven't just changed to the linuxserver container. I did this well over a year ago and has been working perfectly. It just stopped working after BIOS scenario. What I was pointing out was that when I originally changed over to the linuxserver container I used the appdata from the original container but as I just mentioned this has been working successfully for a very long time since I did the change. But if i change the appdata back to the one that is created with the container it will allow me to access gui, but of course this doesn't have my saved settings etc so asks to 'claim the server'.

Hope that makes more sense, sorry for any confusion. Just trying to understand if BIOS up/downgrade is at fault.

There's a lot of things going on. Have you tried creating a clone container from scratch? Just to see if there's something else going on. The files unavailable can be related to database errors or video files moved from the location most likely. And hey, honestly the best solution for plex is to do a regular backup of the database using CA Backup plugin and also check on the plex DB backups, that are executed automatically to the last 3 days I think. 

Also, check the logs before doing anything else, they are quite helpful when it comes to troubleshooting. 

I don't think a BIOS update downgrade will be a problem really. 

Edited by gacpac
added missing information

Question here:

I have an i5-4570 that supports Intel Quicksync. 

How can I tell if my plex is using it to transcode? Sometimes I feel transcoding can be slow and hardware transcoding it's straight up horrible by default. FYI, this might be a dumb question

19 minutes ago, gacpac said:

There's a lot of things going on. Have you tried creating a clone container from scratch? Just to see if there's something else going on. The files unavailable can be related to database errors or video files moved from the location most likely. And hey, honestly the best solution for plex is to do a regular backup of the database using CA Backup plugin and also check on the plex DB backups, that are executed automatically to the last 3 days I think. 

Also, check the logs before doing anything else, they are quite helpful when it comes to troubleshooting. 

I don't think a BIOS update downgrade will be a problem really. 

Yeah, I don't doubt there is, but I learn as I go with these things so I never really know what to look for.  I've not tried cloning, not sure what's involved to do that.

I did setup CA backup but upon checking it was set to delete old backups after 1 day so the only backup is of current appdata I would assume.

In relation to logs, which ones? That may sound silly but there are various different ones. I've looked in some but I wouldn't necessarily know what would be abnormal.

Yeah, I don't doubt there is, but I learn as I go with these things so I never really know what to look for.  I've not tried cloning, not sure what's involved to do that.
I did setup CA backup but upon checking it was set to delete old backups after 1 day so the only backup is of current appdata I would assume.
In relation to logs, which ones? That may sound silly but there are various different ones. I've looked in some but I wouldn't necessarily know what would be abnormal.
Sorry for my wordings, I didn't meant for cloning. More like adding the container using the template already in place and using a different name.
[mention=76135]cdevlin[/mention] [mention=66736]uaeproz[/mention] [mention=68995]drsparks68[/mention] Docker FAQ Post run command and logs otherwise everything is speculation.
But first do what was mentioned here and the logs.

7 hours ago, uaeproz said:

Ok guys now just something weird happened to my plex aside from the issue I mentioned in the above post.

I just changed my server boot mode from legacy to UEFI

Add this to my go file:

#!/bin/bash
#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Add this this in the docker extra parameters:

--device /dev/dri:/dev/dri

Also tried this:

--device=/dev/dri

Now the weird thing is that some of TV episode is showing UNAVAILABLE in red box but some is playing fine. Also when I press scan TV SHOWS, it scan for literally 2 - 3 seconds and stops and it says scan is complete.

I checked the share and drive mappings, nothing changed. I tried to transcode of the cache, same issue.

What went wrong and how to fix this?

Many thanks,

Abdulla

UNAVAILABLE.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20190611-2346.zip 173.1 kB · 2 downloads

@CHBMB

Post run command.JPG

docker log.txt

I looked back a few pages but did not see this referenced - probably a simple answer...

i am trying to switch from the official Plex docker to the linuxserver one. I mapped the directory to my old appdata and i see all my media and everything looks good.

The issue i am having though is when i add new media it does not seem be getting picked up. I look in my media/tv folder and the new media is exactly where it should be, but it’s not being seen by Plex - so all my previous media is seen, but nothing new. I stopped the Linuxserver version and started back up the official Plex version and it immediately sees and imports the new media. 

I would say it’s a path issue, but it’s seeing all the other media - like it sees episodes 1-3 of said show, but doesn’t see episode 4, which was just added and placed right in the same folder as 1-3. 

Edited by air360jg
On 6/11/2019 at 8:55 PM, drsparks68 said:

On 6/11/2019 at 9:13 PM, saarg said:

The corruption is not something we can fix and issues related to plex should be directed to plex and not us. Don't see how the container is the reason for not downloading the metadata.

Thanks for the answers.

drsparks68, I will take a look at the ghithub place.

ssarg: I understand, but the corruption is only happening with the latest update of UNRAID. Now that I have reverted to previous version, all runs smoothly. So is the problem on Plex's side, or UNRAID? It is an open question, I do not have the answer, but I feel Plex people could give me the exact same answer as yours.

1 hour ago, Deazo said:

Thanks for the answers.

drsparks68, I will take a look at the ghithub place.

ssarg: I understand, but the corruption is only happening with the latest update of UNRAID. Now that I have reverted to previous version, all runs smoothly. So is the problem on Plex's side, or UNRAID? It is an open question, I do not have the answer, but I feel Plex people could give me the exact same answer as yours.

Then post in the plex database corruption thread. This is not something we can fix as it's an issue with sqlite and the unraid fuse system.

Hi,

How can I improve my transcoding?

I have an i5-4570 and no video card. I just want some direction in what to buy or upgrade. I don't do much but I struggle to transcode HEVC content. It works using Hardware transcoding but it's too blocky

If the solution is using hardware can someone recommend me how to Improve that?

I don't find clear information on the internet but I'm sure this has happened to someone else here

Any intel 6th generation chip or above, for future proof go 7th gen a sthey can decode/encode hevc at 10 bit. You could also get a cheap nvidia 1050 card but they can only do 2 trans codes max ( im sure there is a away round that). I personally use a cheap g4560 intel chip (7th gen IGPU) and ive had 5 trans codes easy with room to spare. 

Any intel 6th generation chip or above, for future proof go 7th gen a sthey can decode/encode hevc at 10 bit. You could also get a cheap nvidia 1050 card but they can only do 2 trans codes max ( im sure there is a away round that). I personally use a cheap g4560 intel chip (7th gen IGPU) and ive had 5 trans codes easy with room to spare. 
Wow for real?! I thought I needed an i7 or something like that for my entire unraid build.

And you can pull it off by using a regular pentium as long as it's recent generation G4560 o.O

3 minutes ago, gacpac said:

Wow for real?! I thought I needed an i7 or something like that for my entire unraid build.

If you want/need to do transcoding in software (usually better quality), then CPU matters.  It matters a lot with 10-bit HEVC with and even an i7/Xeon may struggle with that depending on which generation it is.

If your CPU has an iGPU and supports Quick Snyc Video, you can do 10-bit HEVC transcoding in hardware with a Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake generation CPU.  Any of them will do, even a Pentium.  They struggle a bit with HDR content and it appeasr a bit washed out as Plex and others figure out how to deal with HDR.

If you want to run a lot of dockers and VMs, you will need more than a Pentium, but, for Plex transcoding, many are getting good performance and are happy with Pentiums with iGPU and QSV.

Personally, I have a Xeon in one server and and i5-4590 in another.  I find that hardware transcoding at 720p 4Mbps and above produces very good quality.  Neither of my chips would do 10-bit HEVC without dropping to their knees and begging for mercy.  I know, I tried 😀.  That's the next upgrade!

If you want/need to do transcoding in software (usually better quality), then CPU matters.  It matters a lot with 10-bit HEVC with and even an i7/Xeon may struggle with that depending on which generation it is.

If your CPU has an iGPU and supports Quick Snyc Video, you can do 10-bit HEVC transcoding in hardware with a Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake generation CPU.  Any of them will do, even a Pentium.  They struggle a bit with HDR content and it appeasr a bit washed out as Plex and others figure out how to deal with HDR.

If you want to run a lot of dockers and VMs, you will need more than a Pentium, but, for Plex transcoding, many are getting good performance and are happy with Pentiums with iGPU and QSV.

Personally, I have a Xeon in one server and and i5-4590 in another.  I find that hardware transcoding at 720p 4Mbps and above produces very good quality.  Neither of my chips would do 10-bit HEVC without dropping to their knees and begging for mercy.  I know, I tried .  That's the next upgrade!
So you have my processor generation as well. Maybe I'm to picky about it?

So what happens to me is 2 things with my current i5-4570.
-the speed of this server is not fast enough please lower the quality (it doesn't happen as often but can be annoying)
-HEVC formats often don't play (so I don't use it)

Using hardware transcode using the IGPU

Everything works but the fast images or fights, are blocky as hell
@hoopster so you are saying it works fine for you?