[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

4 minutes ago, coblck said:

Did you just point it too the appdata folder on your cache 

yes.  Linuxserver defaults to appdata/plex, but I pointed it manually to the old appdata/PlexMediaServer BEFORE Applying the settings the first time.  You have to extend the "more settings" section at the bottom to see this.  Everything pulled right up for me.  

The only other step is to map your share pathways exactly as they were in the old docker setup.  You can "Edit" them and change each.  

Let me know if this is confusing and I'll send more on it tomorrow.  

5 hours ago, yanksno1 said:

Just wanted to double check, the version in the settings for this should be set to "docker" right to get the latest? 

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 19.48.16 PM.png

This option is in Linuxserver.  I didn't see it in my old Limetech, though I thought there used to be a way to tell it what version.

i just wanted to start fresh from the scratch, i installed the docker the webui start, it says server not found?=???

_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
-------------------------------------
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Docker is used for verisoning skip update check
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.

any hints?

So last night I migrated over to the Linuxserver.io docker from Limetech.  Everything came up just as I was looking for.  

However, I have one issue, and one question....

Issue:   Any DVR recorded file is being setup with the username "nobody" and I can't delete any of the video files created until I run the "new permissions" utility.  This happened once before I can't for the life of me remember what I did to fix it.  (see image)

Question:  How do I confirm where transcoding is taking place (temp folder)?   In the Linuxserver.io docker settings it is set to mnt/user/transcode... The "Transcode" is on my cache disk only.   Inside Plex, the transcoder settings originally had \\cache\transcode.   When I first tried to record after the new install, I was out of space errors.  The \\cache\transcode would seemingly be a bad pathway, I can't recall when I plugged that in and it must have been held over from the old setup.  However, it was working previously.   I deleted that pathway in the Plex transcode setup, and the errors went away.  Here is the question:  Where is it transcoding to?   With the actual plex software transcode location blank, is it respecting or using the location designated in the docker?  I do want it using the cache drive for transcoding, there is plenty of room.  

Thanks in advance for any help.

Capture.JPG

6 hours ago, TODDLT said:

How do I confirm where transcoding is taking place (temp folder)?

Whatever container path you set in the docker configuration should match exactly to what you use in Plex settings. If the container path is /transcode then you would enter /transcode for your transcode location in Plex. This will result in transcoding in whatever host directory you have configured in the docker. /mnt/user/transcode in your example.

18 hours ago, mweis said:

i just wanted to start fresh from the scratch, i installed the docker the webui start, it says server not found?=???

_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Docker is used for verisoning skip update check
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.

any hints?

Create the container with host networking and make sure you're connecting to it from the same network subnet. Once you claim the server, you can switch to bridge again

4 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Whatever container path you set in the docker configuration should match exactly to what you use in Plex settings. If the container path is /transcode then you would enter /transcode for your transcode location in Plex. This will result in transcoding in whatever host directory you have configured in the docker. /mnt/user/transcode in your example.

Thanks will adjust this tonight.

Any thoughts on the access rights issue to files created by Plex on the server?

On 7/25/2019 at 1:24 AM, TODDLT said:

yes.  Linuxserver defaults to appdata/plex, but I pointed it manually to the old appdata/PlexMediaServer BEFORE Applying the settings the first time.  You have to extend the "more settings" section at the bottom to see this.  Everything pulled right up for me.  

The only other step is to map your share pathways exactly as they were in the old docker setup.  You can "Edit" them and change each.  

Let me know if this is confusing and I'll send more on it tomorrow.  

This option is in Linuxserver.  I didn't see it in my old Limetech, though I thought there used to be a way to tell it what version.

I had a similar problem and my guide refused to update & I could no longer access my Plex server outside my house.  Did as you instructed to move over to the Linuxserver version.  It is now updating the guide & it also appears that remote access has been restored.  Kudos & thanks!

Still working through some bugs since installing Linuxsever.io Plex.

I had two movies streaming from Plex.  1 was being transcoded, one direct play.   Nearing the end of both, I get this warning on unRaid.  It crept up to 83% until the first movie stopped and then I got a "return to normal" message.

Docker high image disk utilization: 2019-07-27 10:05

Warning [-SVR] - Docker image disk utilization of 80%
Docker utilization of image file /mnt/cache/Dockers/docker.img

I can't find anywhere to raise the size of the size of the image file or space allocated.   The Cache drive is 250GB and only 24GB used by dockers.  I'm sure transcoding is taking up some space but how could that possibly fill that drive?

Any thoughts appreciated.

EDIT:   

I found this, but no idea how to increase the size of a container of if that is the issue

The old Plex is not running, just haven't removed it yet, but I do notice it's a bigger container.  I had as many as 4 or 5 streaming continuously before and never had that warning.

Name Container Writable Log ---------------------------------------------------------------------

binhex-krusader 2.23 GB 18.9 MB 66.2 kB

binhex-minidlna 1.42 GB 1.49 MB 598 kB

DiskSpeed 939 MB 1.21 MB 29.1 kB

PlexMediaServer 526 MB 354 kB 229 kB

PlexLinuxserver.io 355 MB 309 kB 4.33 kB

tautulli 256 MB 122 MB 3.04 MB

Edited by TODDLT
58 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

Still working through some bugs since installing Linuxsever.io Plex.

I had two movies streaming from Plex.  1 was being transcoded, one direct play.   Nearing the end of both, I get this warning on unRaid.  It crept up to 83% until the first movie stopped and then I got a "return to normal" message.

Docker high image disk utilization: 2019-07-27 10:05

Warning [-SVR] - Docker image disk utilization of 80%
Docker utilization of image file /mnt/cache/Dockers/docker.img

I can't find anywhere to raise the size of the size of the image file or space allocated.   The Cache drive is 250GB and only 24GB used by dockers.  I'm sure transcoding is taking up some space but how could that possibly fill that drive?

Any thoughts appreciated.

EDIT:   

I found this, but no idea how to increase the size of a container of if that is the issue

The old Plex is not running, just haven't removed it yet, but I do notice it's a bigger container.  I had as many as 4 or 5 streaming continuously before and never had that warning.

Name Container Writable Log ---------------------------------------------------------------------

binhex-krusader 2.23 GB 18.9 MB 66.2 kB

binhex-minidlna 1.42 GB 1.49 MB 598 kB

DiskSpeed 939 MB 1.21 MB 29.1 kB

PlexMediaServer 526 MB 354 kB 229 kB

PlexLinuxserver.io 355 MB 309 kB 4.33 kB

tautulli 256 MB 122 MB 3.04 MB

You have configured the transcode path in plex wrong and set it to a path inside the container.

6 minutes ago, saarg said:

You have configured the transcode path in plex wrong and set it to a path inside the container.

They are both on the cache drive, but different folders.

Transcode is /mnt/user/Transcode/

Transcode is located solely on the cache drive.

Docker is located /mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/

appdata is also solely on the cache drive.

Is there something else I should be looking for?

Edited by TODDLT

I just updated the Plex docker to Version 1.16.3.1433 (Unraid is running Version: 6.7.2)  

After the Plex update I get this error:

image.png.2db44f358049f3de22339565548dbbc9.png

I have plenty of room so this is not the problem.

I have Plex stored on another special SSD and had no problem

image.thumb.png.828b9e057aaf7b52d92739f779bf28b8.png

Could it be the transcoding folder? (I have never used it, default is fine)?

I am using HW acceleration and it look to be running okay?

image.png.86d48103b8cfab29254d14e0eae8e73f.png

Hope someone can share some light on this....

UPDATE:

Where does it save the transcode files? (It's not on my cash drive) plenty of room

Index of /mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache

So it must be on my Appdata drive?

/mnt/disk/SSD/plex (But the folder is empty)

/mnt/disks/SSD/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode

I would like the speed so either defining a specific location in the docker Path for transcoding folder (Optional)?

On a SSD? or my cash drive? any recommendations from the power users ?

Edited by casperse
4 hours ago, TODDLT said:

They are both on the cache drive, but different folders.

Transcode is /mnt/user/Transcode/

Transcode is located solely on the cache drive.

Docker is located /mnt/user/appdata/PlexMediaServer/

appdata is also solely on the cache drive.

Is there something else I should be looking for?

Post your docker run command and a screen shot of the transcoding path in plex.

1 hour ago, casperse said:

I just updated the Plex docker to Version 1.16.3.1433 (Unraid is running Version: 6.7.2)  

After the Plex update I get this error:

image.png.2db44f358049f3de22339565548dbbc9.png

I have plenty of room so this is not the problem.

I have Plex stored on another special SSD and had no problem

image.thumb.png.828b9e057aaf7b52d92739f779bf28b8.png

Could it be the transcoding folder? (I have never used it, default is fine)?

I am using HW acceleration and it look to be running okay?

image.png.86d48103b8cfab29254d14e0eae8e73f.png

Hope someone can share some light on this....

UPDATE:

Where does it save the transcode files? (It's not on my cash drive) plenty of room

Index of /mnt/cache/appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache

So it must be on my Appdata drive?

/mnt/disk/SSD/plex (But the folder is empty)

/mnt/disks/SSD/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/Transcode

I would like the speed so either defining a specific location in the docker Path for transcoding folder (Optional)?

On a SSD? or my cash drive? any recommendations from the power users ?

Post your docker run command. The default transcoding path is somewhere in the app data folder.

45 minutes ago, saarg said:

Post your docker run command. The default transcoding path is somewhere in the app data folder.

Hi @saarg

I found the problem, but need some help to solve it....

I have the appdata folder on a seperate SSD for Plex

Looking on the SSD i can see a temp file in the cash that just explodes in size? (239G in a single file - think its TV recording going crazy )

I have stopped the Plex server, but I cant delete any of the files, even using Krusader?

How can I delete files on a UAD SSD when I cant change the access rights? (Tried in Krusader)

Normally I would do a fix all R/W rights on Unraid for all drives, but in this case I can't do that when its Unassigned device

40 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Just a heads up to both of you, mapping the /transcode location is not enough. You also need to go into Plex server settings in the gui and select /transcode as the transcode location

I have the same pathway set in the docker, and inside the transcode settings in the Plex GUI.

3 hours ago, saarg said:

Post your docker run command and a screen shot of the transcoding path in plex.

Where do I find the run command?  Isn't this set up in the background?  I didn't create a command to run the Plex Docker.

The transcode path in the docker is identical to what you see in the plex image attached. 

transcode.JPG

1 hour ago, TODDLT said:

Where do I find the run command?  Isn't this set up in the background?  I didn't create a command to run the Plex Docker.

The transcode path in the docker is identical to what you see in the plex image attached. 

transcode.JPG

That needs to be set to /transcode exactly

26 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

ahh, OK so the docker settings correlates /transcode to /mnt/user/transcode... yes?  

It depends on what you set as the host path in Plex docker container.

Whatever you set as the Container Path is what you enter in the Plex server as the "Transcoder temporary directory"  In my case, and probably yours, that is /transcode.  That happens in my case to map to /tmp (RAM) on the unRAID server.  If you set the host path to /mnt/user/transcode that is where transcoding will take place on your server when you tell Plex to use /transcode.

image.png.128ea9abfc22d6bd79df74e7e277e43e.png