[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

1 hour ago, aptalca said:

Can't you delete them in the Plex gui?

I have that function disabled to avoid someone's accidental deleting a video.  

When I had the old plex docker running I could delete files through explorer as any other file.  this is a permissions issue with the new plex docker install.  I think I had a similar issue when I installed Plex on the Limetech docker years ago.  I can't recall how it was fixed and can't find any thread in my history here either.  

That being said, I will turn it on just to give it a try.

1 hour ago, aptalca said:

Can't you delete them in the Plex gui?

Yes, it works.  I'm guessing because unRaid is seeing Plex as the user "nobody" and but not seeing me as "nobody" when I'm trying to delete from my PC.  (see image).  The question is why are the files restricted to "nobody" for write/delete access?

Capture.JPG

Edited by TODDLT
1 hour ago, TODDLT said:

Yes, it works.  I'm guessing because unRaid is seeing Plex as the user "nobody" and but not seeing me as "nobody" when I'm trying to delete from my PC.  (see image).  The question is why are the files restricted to "nobody" for write/delete access?

Capture.JPG

That's right, it's not a docker image issue. It's because your smb user is different than user nobody.

Plex is not creating those files with group write access.

51 minutes ago, aptalca said:

That's right, it's not a docker image issue. It's because your smb user is different than user nobody.

Plex is not creating those files with group write access.

so how do you fix that?  Plex didnt have this problem on the previous install.  Can you change the "user" for Plex?

so how do you fix that?  Plex didnt have this problem on the previous install.  Can you change the "user" for Plex?
Mmm have you tried "new docker safe permissions"?

Or "new permissions" and select the share you want?
That has happened to me and I do that in a heartbeat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, gacpac said:

Mmm have you tried "new docker safe permissions"?

Or "new permissions" and select the share you want?
That has happened to me and I do that in a heartbeat.

yes that works, but I have to do it every time.   There has to be a way to stop it from creating secured files.

yes that works, but I have to do it every time.   There has to be a way to stop it from creating secured files.
That's a hard one. Do you use sonarr and radarr? Because it could be them when moving files.
They have a permission setting to avoid that

1 minute ago, gacpac said:

That's a hard one. Do you use sonarr and radarr? Because it could be them when moving files.
They have a permission setting to avoid that

I don't use either of those.  I've searched through every setting I can think of and can find no reason for it to be doing this.

Well then there's 2 things
-You can downgrade plex to the specific version before now (and i dont think it's a docker issue)
-You can do as the space invader video recommends, create a user in unraid with read an write access, make that user match your Windows user. So when you browse through the shares you have an authenticated user for everything. Check on the video

Also I don't modify anything in the Share, I delete from Plex itself If have to.

1 hour ago, gacpac said:

Well then there's 2 things
-You can downgrade plex to the specific version before now (and i dont think it's a docker issue)
-You can do as the space invader video recommends, create a user in unraid with read an write access, make that user match your Windows user. So when you browse through the shares you have an authenticated user for everything. Check on the video

Also I don't modify anything in the Share, I delete from Plex itself If have to.

My windows user is same user/pw as the administrator on the unRaid machine.  It should have read/write to everything.  However it doesn't have permissions to the DVR movies that Plex creates until I run "New Permissiosn"   Odd, but I can't figure it out.

My windows user is same user/pw as the administrator on the unRaid machine.  It should have read/write to everything.  However it doesn't have permissions to the DVR movies that Plex creates until I run "New Permissiosn"   Odd, but I can't figure it out.
So you say is plex creating those using "create versions option"

Well my friend. It could be plex, try using an older version. Specify the version in the docker settings and see if that confirms your theory. Also open up a post in the plex forums they might be able to help

3 minutes ago, gacpac said:

So you say is plex creating those using "create versions option"

Well my friend. It could be plex, try using an older version. Specify the version in the docker settings and see if that confirms your theory. Also open up a post in the plex forums they might be able to help

to be clear, the only files I"m having issues with are files the Plex DVR creates.  For some reason they have permissions restricted to the user "nobody"...   I dont think Plex actually uses "nobody" I think its a blank in the file when it's created so unRaid is calling it "nobody."

I also dont think this is due to the Plex update, I remember having this when I first started using the Plex DVR.  I can't recall what was done to get over the issue, it was a couple years ago.

11 hours ago, TODDLT said:

to be clear, the only files I"m having issues with are files the Plex DVR creates.  For some reason they have permissions restricted to the user "nobody"...   I dont think Plex actually uses "nobody" I think its a blank in the file when it's created so unRaid is calling it "nobody."

I also dont think this is due to the Plex update, I remember having this when I first started using the Plex DVR.  I can't recall what was done to get over the issue, it was a couple years ago.

Nobody is an actual user on unraid. It is meant to own all files on unraid, which is exactly what the user permissions script does. 

Your issue is that Plex (running as user nobody) saves the new files as owned by user nobody, but the group permissions are missing write. Your smb user, which is in the same group as user nobody, is allowed to read those files but cannot delete them.

Edited by aptalca
5 hours ago, aptalca said:

Nobody is an actual user on unraid. It is meant to own all files on unraid, which is exactly what the user permissions script does. 

Your issue is that Plex (running as user nobody) saves the new files as owned by user nobody, but the group permissions are missing write. Your smb user, which is in the same group as user nobody, is showed to read those files but cannot delete them.

I can't be the only one using Plex to have this issue.  How do you fix this?

On 7/28/2019 at 9:49 PM, TODDLT said:

I can't be the only one using Plex to have this issue.  How do you fix this?

You may try using setgid to make the owner the group of the directory.
You should chmod g+s /path/to/directory
Newly created files in the directory will inherit the setgid bit.

note:
SetGID being used for this purpose will also require that the group have read and write permission on the directory. Files created will then also inherit this from the directory with SetGID.

I'm not sure how docker interacts with this - it may defeat setgid due to the nature of containerization.

Edited by Xaero

Can someone explain the variables for PUID and PGID in the Docker settings (at the end)?  The default values are 99 and 100 respectively.  These are User ID and Group ID settings, correct?  What do the values mean, or is this where it determines the user ID the docker operates and creates files under? 

I posted a thread in the General forum https://forums.unraid.net/topic/82188-file-permissions-issue-with-plex-docker-linuxserverio/ and after a little investigation this was the summed up message:

What the problem is that the Plex Docker that you are using has settings somewhere that instructs it how to assign permissions the directories and files that it creates.  And those settings are wrong for Unraid!  This problem is not that usual.  Someone should know where that setting in this Docker.  

The Limetech docker did not have this permissions issue and also did not set values for PUID or PGID, or if it did, there were no adjustable settings for it.

Is it possible these settings are what is causing the issue?  Can they be changed or what happens if I delete them?  

Thanks as always.

Edited by TODDLT

After adding a new drive, I did something that caused my appdata to include it and as a result, mover moved my appdata data.

After this, I had files on cache appdata and disk4 appdata.

I resolved all docker containers except plex.  I copied back preferences.xml and things appear OK, but since there are so many files in the directory, I thought to ask what the best thing to do it.

Should I accept that plex is back up and move on or should I stop plex, copy everything from disk4 to cache, overwriting along the way and then just start the container again?

16 hours ago, smakovits said:

After adding a new drive, I did something that caused my appdata to include it

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post. I may split your part of this discussion into its own thread.

On 7/31/2019 at 1:15 AM, TODDLT said:

Can someone explain the variables for PUID and PGID in the Docker settings (at the end)?  The default values are 99 and 100 respectively.  These are User ID and Group ID settings, correct?  What do the values mean, or is this where it determines the user ID the docker operates and creates files under? 

I posted a thread in the General forum https://forums.unraid.net/topic/82188-file-permissions-issue-with-plex-docker-linuxserverio/ and after a little investigation this was the summed up message:

The Limetech docker did not have this permissions issue and also did not set values for PUID or PGID, or if it did, there were no adjustable settings for it.

Is it possible these settings are what is causing the issue?  Can they be changed or what happens if I delete them?  

Thanks as always.

Correct, the PUID and PGID are the UID and GID of the username and group that file ownership is determined with. You can list all the groups, with their ID's using the groups file and a little bit of awkfu to list only the group names and gids:
awk -F: '{ print $1,$3 }' /etc/group
You can do the same for users:
awk -F: '{printf "%s:%s\n",$1,$3}' /etc/passwd

*snip* posted relevant info into your other thread. Please avoid crossposting as now we are splitting information into two places instead of one.

Edited by Xaero
On 7/12/2019 at 1:03 AM, GreenEyedMonster said:

Hey guys,

So I am at a loss.  I can log into my plex docker through plex.tv but when I try to launch the webgui I get an error:

This page isn’t working "my host ip address"

didn’t send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Any ideas?!

Update: 

Now it works on the plex.tv but not internally from localhost.  Any ideas?!

Still can't connect from my ip address internally.... Any ideas?!