[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

22 hours ago, weirdcrap said:

This thread is massive and not great for receiving support in my experience. You're better off asking in the Plex forums. 

Unfortunately Plex can't find a fault I've been through it the issue seems to lie with either unraid or the docker container unraid support so far has been nill so hoping for some insight from this community numerous threads with the same issue exist but no one ever seems to answer them lol. 

Either it'll be resolved shortly or I simply won't be purchasing unraid and will migrate to a different solution, which is a shame but if I can't make it work the way I would like it seems pointless to spend additional funds. 

Cheers anyways 

Exa 

3 hours ago, Exa said:

the issue seems to lie with either unraid or the docker container unraid support

Actually, these dockers are user maintained and user supported. LimeTech has nothing to do with their support. The fact that no other users are able to diagnose your issues probably means that they are limited to just a few servers.

4 hours ago, Exa said:

Unfortunately Plex can't find a fault I've been through it the issue seems to lie with either unraid or the docker container unraid support so far has been nill so hoping for some insight from this community numerous threads with the same issue exist but no one ever seems to answer them lol. 

Either it'll be resolved shortly or I simply won't be purchasing unraid and will migrate to a different solution, which is a shame but if I can't make it work the way I would like it seems pointless to spend additional funds. 

Cheers anyways 

Exa 

Hi Exa,

I don't want to downplay your problem, but offer an alternative solution instead.

I gather that you are wanting to use your Intel CPU's iGPU for hardware transcoding instead of Software to try to offload the limited number of CPU cores from transcoding.  GPU transcoding is definitely great for power efficiency as well on a server.

I'm not sure what motherboard you are running as you just said a Gigabyte Z270 which would be mini ITX up to full ATX, but I'm assuming that you have at least one free PCIe slot and hopefully in a case that can support a 2-slot GPU.  I would like to highly recommend something like a GTX 1050 Ti which can hardware transcode 4k in Plex with the NVDEC patch (or an upcoming Plex Server release with official NVDEC support on Linux) and potentially more than the Nvidia limited 2 streams via certain methods.  Linuxserverio has a Plugin that installs a Nvidia specific version of latest Unraid to allow passing through the GPU to Plex for this purpose.

The GTX 1050 Ti might seem like a costly upgrade from an iGPU just for transcoding, but it does a fantastic job and uses minimal power when idle.  I would stick with the 4 GB VRAM model as Linux 4k transcodes require ~1.5 GB each at worst case form my experience, but if you only have 1080p content, you can probably get by with just a GTX 1050 2GB as it doesn't require an extra power cable and gets all of its power from the motherboard slot.

If you need more help with an Nvidia setup for Plex, you might get a little more assistance here, but linuxserverio also has a great Discord too for support on stuff.

Cheers,

axipher

On 9/26/2019 at 2:45 AM, Exa said:

This container is maintained and supported by a third party.  It is not a Limetech/unRAID product.  I and many others have Plex hardware transcoding with an Intel iGPU working flawlessly across all my devices (PC, laptop, iOS phones and tablets, TVs) with this Plex container.

Unfortunately, Plex hardware transcoding with an iGPU is an optional functionality that requires some config outside the container and, really, LSIO (the maintainers of this docker container) is not responsible to make sure it works for everyone.  There could be hardware or software issues outside the control of Limetech or LSIO.

By all appearances you seem to have things set up properly with the 'go' file entries and from the container side.  Is your primary graphics adapter in the BIOS set to the iGPU?  Again, it looks like things are properly configured and it SHOULD work, but, something is clearly not working in your case based on your posts. 

Unfortunately, neither Limetech nor LSIO is responsible to make sure it works for you.  You'll have to rely on the community and/or Plex to help you with this.

I once had a similar issue where trying to play anything on certain platforms resulted in a black screen.  The solution for me was to delete the {appdata}/Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs files and force Plex to download the codecs again.  It will do so on demand for each needed codec.  For some reason, I had some messed up codecs that did not allow content to play/transcode properly.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but after searching around I just can't find a solution. My Plex no longer sees the server. The only thing I can think of that I did was an update. I am running the PlexMediaCenter docker app. When in advanced view, I can see cpu usage like it is running, but my apps report the server is unreachable. It seems like I had this issue before, and the only thing I remember working is deleting my docker, and reinstalling. Anyone know what might be happening? If anyone has a suggestion on a better place to post this, please let me know.

Thank you very much!

On 10/4/2019 at 5:18 AM, senseit said:

I am having the same issue. I rebooted my container today and now Plex is completely unreachable. Can't access it from apps or webUI. It seems to be running, but I can't access it at all.

I would try restarting again or maybe go for a public release instead of the latest.  That was happening to me when I lost internet the other day. 

Something is definitely wrong with transcoding.  When I playback video on my big screen connected to my Roku, I get choppiness and buffering when set to auto. It goes away when I set it to direct. However,  my smartphone over wifi will only work if I select transcoding.  Not sure what to make of this but it didn't happen before the last container update.

Having issues with Plex Loading after upgrading to newest version:

Docker appears to be running, but when I visit the URL via a browser, I just get an empty white page and in chrome the spinning circle in the tab. Tried firefox and that also failed. 

False alarm, rebooted my local machine and this resolved my issue. Kinda weird, but I'm happy it fixed it. 

Edited by guyonphone

Help setting up dual network in Plex docker?

I have managed to setup the ethernet like this:

image.thumb.png.55e812349a0d56d19ca621cc2ec01a3c.png

And this:

image.thumb.png.fb61702354496e2edfc92884cf708a05.png

But how to add this to Plex in Docker (Sofar I have been unsuccessful)

I use "host" which just uses the first lan group, changing it to "Custom: br0" doesn't seem to work

Do I have to add it manually?

As always your input and help is much appreciated

Reason to do this: I want to setup different gateways to different internet connections

And I think I saw Plex being able to have multiple network connection in the ui

Edited by casperse

Hi, so I recently updated my unRaid server from 6.6.6 to 6.7.2 and had a few different issues with various dockers it seems. Now with this Plex one, I'm having issues with my TV library. It seems it's not reading my library right and I'm stuck and don't know what to do. Shows that have episodes in them are now showing under there that there's 0 seasons (but the folder still shows up). Other ones I just added a 3rd season is now only showing 1. If I go to my Recently Added TV everything shows up correctly and plays fine there, well except for one episode that I deleted through Plex and verified it's no longer there on my directory. Anybody have any idea what's going on? I'm really at al loss right now and don't know what I should try doing. I'v tried scanning the library files which usually does the trick but that's not doing nothing right now. Any help would be much appreciated. 

EDIT: Should say my other library's look like they're working fine, it's just the TV one that's off. 

Edited by yanksno1

Has anyone had issues with other non-admin users not being able to stream via chromecast? (in the last 2 weeks or so) It keeps giving everyone a "too many active streams" error when they try. It works on all apps and stuff but as soon as they try and use chromecast the error appears. 

I've tried deleting both their profiles multiple times, made sure nobody else is using it, etc. I just can't figure this out. I feel it may be either a container issue or there's something that isn't closing itself down properly. If I go to the Dynamix Active Stream add-on, it has a list of Plex things but they can't be halted.

Anyone got any theories?

Edited by Brandon87

Isn't there a way to tell the docker to roll back to the previous version / release of Plex.   This latest update apparently broke the DVR service (again).  

It worked yesterday, I ran the update right after a recording.  Today 2 recordings failed.

When I go into the guide and click on a show that is not recording the info page comes up.  If I click on a show that is supposed to be recording I get "An unexpected error has occurred"

Any help rolling back a version would be great.  I know there is a place to change the version in the docker setup, just not sure what to put in there.  

Thanks in advance.

39 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

Isn't there a way to tell the docker to roll back to the previous version / release of Plex.   This latest update apparently broke the DVR service (again).  

It worked yesterday, I ran the update right after a recording.  Today 2 recordings failed.

When I go into the guide and click on a show that is not recording the info page comes up.  If I click on a show that is supposed to be recording I get "An unexpected error has occurred"

Any help rolling back a version would be great.  I know there is a place to change the version in the docker setup, just not sure what to put in there.  

Thanks in advance.

Yes, in docker settings change latest to previous version number to downgrade.

Edited by jpowell8672
2 minutes ago, jpowell8672 said:

Yes, in docker settings change latest to previous version number to downgrade.

I did try this.

I changed "docker" to an actual version number in the variable for "VERSION"

I'm currently on Version 1.18.0.1944 

I tried using "1.18.0.1913" and "1.17.0.1841" in place of the word "docker"

I hit apply, then did a "force update" but the version number didn't change inside plex.

Am I missing some syntax here?

4 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

I did try this.

I hit apply, then did a "force update" but the version number didn't change inside plex.

It should downgrade if you put the plex version number, hit apply & then restart the container.

14 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

I did try this.

You may have to use the actual tag number:

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/tags

1 hour ago, jpowell8672 said:

1.18.0.1913-e5cc93306-ls58

I tried this, restarted the docker, no luck.  did a force update.   no luck, still shows Version 1.18.0.1944

See image

EDIT:  I also tried it with only e5cc93306-ls58.   It looked like it updated that time, but still shows the same version 1.18.0.1944

version.JPG.d6a198a48c36db6fb796ec043b291926.JPG

Edited by TODDLT
54 minutes ago, TODDLT said:

I tried this, restarted the docker, no luck.  did a force update.   no luck, still shows Version 1.18.0.1944

See image

EDIT:  I also tried it with only e5cc93306-ls58.   It looked like it updated that time, but still shows the same version 1.18.0.1944

version.JPG.d6a198a48c36db6fb796ec043b291926.JPG

Try removing the plex docker & image then reinstall plex with 1.18.0.1913-e5cc93306-ls58 in version.