[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Hi all, I seem to have stumbled across a peculiar problem. When I recently try to transcode/optimize a 4K video file (mp4, HEVC), the progress status indicates a negative percentage value. I remember it to have worked fine in the past. Other encodes appear to be working fine @1080p.

883157592_picture3.thumb.PNG.57ab399f0781fff59c38b638883fbcc4.PNG

1581744488_picture1.thumb.PNG.bb179316ba8be1605e30551bcd6f029d.PNG

Has anyone seen this before, and is it an issue with the GPU I am trying to use (GTX1050Ti)?  

878659181_picture2.thumb.PNG.9902b0eb4502a6166c86e0089752fc92.PNG

What information can I provide that could help shed some light on this mystery? Thanks in advance!

Setup:

Unraid 6.8.0 (Nvidia)

Plex 4.12.3 (linuxserver)

GPU: GTX1050Ti

10 hours ago, guyonphone said:

Hello,

I am interested in using the following script with this docker container: Plex Autoscan

I am concerned that if I go through the install and configuration, that it will just be overwritten the next time the docker is updated. Is there a way for me to do this?

Thanks

According to the readme, you're supposed to run it on your host, not inside the plex container

Hi all,

Recently installed plex LSIO and nvidia unraid both on latest versions. I've been reading up the best I can on all the info and was wondering if someone can confirm that I'm correct on the below right now at time of writing:

1: The official plex apps/dockers did not support Nvidia Hardware decode specifically (hardware encode was enabled and had been working for some time) up until it was recently officially added around June 2019.

2: Before the above happened, there was a workaround which mainly involved a "hack" or wrapper script of some kind which altered ffmpeg included with plex to flag that it can do Nvidia hardware decoding.

(I'm yet to find this separate thread where this is supposedly discussed and often referred to in this very thread so have only been able to take snippets from various places).

3: Soon after (1) occurred above, the docker plex images were updated (including this one) to also include the ability to Nvidia hardware decode as well as encode. 

4: Therefore simply installing the latest version of LSIO plex does indeed work out of the box with Nvidia Hardware decoding and encoding, so long as it is bundled with nvidia unraid to allow pass through of nvidia gpu to the plex container. (I'm assuming the bolded part is required and it would not work with official unraid).

5: Nvidia hardware decode and encode has worked for ages on windows and hence people have previously worked around the linux issues with using windows VMs. 

6: Updating to the latest official unraid new releases could break nvidia hardware decoding since nvidia unraid could break underneath, so best to wait for this to also be updated first.

Sorry if I got any of the above wrong. 

4 hours ago, jaybee said:

Hi all,

Recently installed plex LSIO and nvidia unraid both on latest versions. I've been reading up the best I can on all the info and was wondering if someone can confirm that I'm correct on the below right now at time of writing:

1: The official plex apps/dockers did not support Nvidia Hardware decode specifically (hardware encode was enabled and had been working for some time) up until it was recently officially added around June 2019.

2: Before the above happened, there was a workaround which mainly involved a "hack" or wrapper script of some kind which altered ffmpeg included with plex to flag that it can do Nvidia hardware decoding.

(I'm yet to find this separate thread where this is supposedly discussed and often referred to in this very thread so have only been able to take snippets from various places).

3: Soon after (1) occurred above, the docker plex images were updated (including this one) to also include the ability to Nvidia hardware decode as well as encode. 

4: Therefore simply installing the latest version of LSIO plex does indeed work out of the box with Nvidia Hardware decoding and encoding, so long as it is bundled with nvidia unraid to allow pass through of nvidia gpu to the plex container. (I'm assuming the bolded part is required and it would not work with official unraid).

5: Nvidia hardware decode and encode has worked for ages on windows and hence people have previously worked around the linux issues with using windows VMs. 

6: Updating to the latest official unraid new releases could break nvidia hardware decoding since nvidia unraid could break underneath, so best to wait for this to also be updated first.

Sorry if I got any of the above wrong. 

Correct. Stock unraid does not have the necessary nvidia drivers or the nvidia runtime required. 

The nvidia plugin allows you to install custom builds of unraid that include the necessary drivers and docker runtime.

Only install the unraid builds via the nvidia plugin to make sure that your Plex container continues to use nvidia hw transcode.

And yes, until recently, Plex only supported hw encode. Now it supports both. No need for other scripts or wrappers. Just the custom unraid build and the linuxserver container make it work.

Hi Guys,

I installed a quadro P2200 with unraid 6.8 stable and have a crazy memory leak going on. Not sure if I should post this in the Nvidia plug in thread or not but I will start here.  Here is the diagnostic file and I would love some suggesstions as you will see this thing crashes like crazy. There were errors with the sata drive but I moved it to another sata connector on the motherboard and no errors since (with that) 

Anyway thanks again for any help

unraid-diagnostics-20200101-0804.zip

3 hours ago, BRiT said:

Answered in your other thread, the memory leak in Plex is a plex issue so you need to stop cross posting in LSIO threads and post in Plex forum.

Will do. Thanks for the help. I cross posted as I figured plex would say nvidia plugin and nvidia plugin would say plex. I guess I was completely wrong because this isnt even LSIO Plex, but needs to be in the main plex forum. Will try there, hopefully they dont say check here or with nvidia plugin. Will try there and if it gets figured out I will mention it here in case anyone has the same problem. Thanks again

34 minutes ago, drpete said:

Will do. Thanks for the help. I cross posted as I figured plex would say nvidia plugin and nvidia plugin would say plex. I guess I was completely wrong because this isnt even LSIO Plex, but needs to be in the main plex forum. Will try there, hopefully they dont say check here or with nvidia plugin. Will try there and if it gets figured out I will mention it here in case anyone has the same problem. Thanks again

Plex usually knows what is a problem in their software or in the container. So shouldn't be a problem going to the official forum.

I'm struggling to block some undesired users because of PlexRelay kicking in if I block the IP address.  Is there a way to disable Plex relay in the docker?

These posts have some methods, but I'm tying to find a more elegant/permanent solution using this docker.

Thanks

1 hour ago, DZMM said:

I'm struggling to block some undesired users because of PlexRelay kicking in if I block the IP address.  Is there a way to disable Plex relay in the docker?

These posts have some methods, but I'm tying to find a more elegant/permanent solution using this docker.

Thanks

See the article on our blog titled "customizing our containers" and you can create an init script that deletes it on container start

• Like 1

Hi, I'm quite new to unraid so this might sound like a real noob question. I installed the docker image, and when trying to add my first library I found out that I can't navigate to the files and folder contained in my main share. 
How can I solve this? Do I need to give plex access to the share in some way which is unknown to me? Any help is really appreciated, thanks.

ssssssssssssssss.png.5ccce2400021c48fd1866d8c58c821e2.pngI'm 

16 hours ago, aptalca said:

See the article on our blog titled "customizing our containers" and you can create an init script that deletes it on container start

I've read, but I'd rather use the user_scripts plugin so I can remember I did this.  Would this modify the docker if I run hourly?

#!/bin/bash

docker exec -it plex /bin/bash
rm -f PlexRelay
exit
exit

1 minute ago, DZMM said:

I've read, but I'd rather use the user_scripts plugin so I can remember I did this.  Would this modify the docker if I run hourly?

#!/bin/bash

docker exec -it plex /bin/bash
rm -f PlexRelay
exit
exit

It will not, as you don't have the correct name or path to plex relay by looking at the reddit link.

PLEX SERVER UNREACHABLE AFTER RYZEN 9 UPGRADE

Today I upgraded from an old AMD processor to a Ryzen 9 3900x and a ASrock x370 Professional Gaming Motherboard. I got everything up and running, but Plex is acting strangely, Selecting the webui shows the server as unreachable. Sometimes I can access the plex server from my phone or Nvidia shield on the local network momentarily and then it drops again. 

Any idea what could be going on?

UPDATE: Now clicking on Webui from the docker no longer takes me to plex admin. It's just showing "site can't be reached"

Edited by cypres0099

I get an "attempting to upgrade" message when I restart the docker and a long pause before it completes, is this new?  Should it happen every time I restart  plex?

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 999
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: executing...
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Atempting to upgrade to: 1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8
2020-01-03 21:58:43 URL:https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8/debian/plexmediaserver_1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8_amd64.deb [86833802/86833802] -> "/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8_amd64.deb" [1]
(Reading database ... 10445 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8) over (1.18.3.2156-349e9837e) ...
Setting up plexmediaserver (1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.

4 hours ago, cypres0099 said:

PLEX SERVER UNREACHABLE AFTER RYZEN 9 UPGRADE

Today I upgraded from an old AMD processor to a Ryzen 9 3900x and a ASrock x370 Professional Gaming Motherboard. I got everything up and running, but Plex is acting strangely, Selecting the webui shows the server as unreachable. Sometimes I can access the plex server from my phone or Nvidia shield on the local network momentarily and then it drops again. 

Any idea what could be going on?

UPDATE: Now clicking on Webui from the docker no longer takes me to plex admin. It's just showing "site can't be reached"

Quick update...

It turns out that I was apparently not running the linuxserver docker of plex, but rather the Plexinc version.  That's a tidbit I found out after removing the docker to try reinstalling. So anyway, I attempted to reinstall with the linuxserver version, but I was getting an error saying my certification has expired and it wouldn't pull the docker.

Poked around on google and unraid forms and found out that error can come from an incorrect date/time setting. Upon checking, my date and time setting had been set to the date on which the updated bios had been released (Aug 3, 2019). So I manually corrected the date/time and the docker pulled and installed correctly. 

My guess is that my problems with the original plex install were likely related to this too, but it's too late since I deleted it. 

All the appdata is showing up correctly, but I had to re-add the libraries before it would play any of the content correctly becuase the linuxserver distro uses path mapping.

So that was fun!

5 hours ago, krh1009 said:

I get an "attempting to upgrade" message when I restart the docker and a long pause before it completes, is this new?  Should it happen every time I restart  plex?

_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 999
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: executing...
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Atempting to upgrade to: 1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8
2020-01-03 21:58:43 URL:https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8/debian/plexmediaserver_1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8_amd64.deb [86833802/86833802] -> "/tmp/plexmediaserver_1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8_amd64.deb" [1]
(Reading database ... 10445 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8) over (1.18.3.2156-349e9837e) ...
Setting up plexmediaserver (1.18.4.2171-ac2afe5f8) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.

That is normal if you set the version variable to latest.

But why did you set your PUID to 999? If you use unraid that should be 99.