[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

11 hours ago, trurl said:

The question has been answered many times in the thread for the Nvidia plugin, if that is what you are referring to. That plugin actually installs a custom build of Unraid, and any time Unraid is updated you have to wait for the custom build to be updated then apply that update. Go read the first posts in that thread.

You can go directly to the correct support thread for any of your plugins by clicking on its Support Link on the Plugins page.

thanks, I did read the first part about installing it but it has 62 pages in that thread and I was not going to read all of that.  I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.  But from what you are saying is, I would update Unraid through the plugin but need to wait till that is updated and the docker would just update as usual correct?

Edited by squirrellydw
8 hours ago, JT24 said:

How are you trying to connect to it?
Via the device name or IP

What connection are you using when connecting to your VPN?
Cellular or wlan/lan

By it do you mean VPN or PLEX?  VPN is via a hostname that had a dynamic DNS entry.  As for PLEX I am no longer sure....  I set it up years ago when there was a server config option and now you just sign in I don't know any more.  How do you tell (and it is connecting to the server as I can see all the media)

I am connecting to VPN over a strong 4G / LTE cellular connection.

1 hour ago, jameson_uk said:

By it do you mean VPN or PLEX?  VPN is via a hostname that had a dynamic DNS entry.  As for PLEX I am no longer sure....  I set it up years ago when there was a server config option and now you just sign in I don't know any more.  How do you tell (and it is connecting to the server as I can see all the media)

I am connecting to VPN over a strong 4G / LTE cellular connection.

I meant, how are you connecting to Plex?

If you're connecting via the webgui, you'd be using either the "local-ip:32400/web" or "dynamic-dns-address:32400/web".

Where I was going with the type of connection....

if the IP of your plex server is 192.168.0.100 and the gateway of you 4G connection (if there's a router) is 192.168.0.1/24 (255.255.255.0), you won't be able to connect to the plex server as it'll be trying to find that IP locally.

Hope this kind of makes sense.... Just a thought.

It's a common mistake with VPN's.

Am I on the right train?

8 hours ago, JT24 said:

I meant, how are you connecting to Plex?

If you're connecting via the webgui, you'd be using either the "local-ip:32400/web" or "dynamic-dns-address:32400/web".

Where I was going with the type of connection....

if the IP of your plex server is 192.168.0.100 and the gateway of you 4G connection (if there's a router) is 192.168.0.1/24 (255.255.255.0), you won't be able to connect to the plex server as it'll be trying to find that IP locally.

Hope this kind of makes sense.... Just a thought.

It's a common mistake with VPN's.

Am I on the right train?

I was using the Android app and didn't even think about the web portal.  Having just tried and videos play in Chrome on my phone however the interface is pretty poor on a small screen.

Given the app works when connected to WiFi and the VPN is obviously getting me to the server any thoughts on what I can try to get video playback working in the app via the VPN?

I am doing my best to get my PLEX docker to connect to my NAS. I have set up the volume mapping I believe correctly but obviously not. When I try to launch the WEBui of Plex docker I receive cant connect - refused....

Any thread of HELP you can direct me to get this connected correctly

4 hours ago, rsutter said:

PLEX docker to connect to my NAS

By "my NAS" do you mean a different machine than you are running the docker on?

NVM

I just realized you're the same person on that other thread. You should have posted a link back to it in your post to this thread.

Here it is for everyone else to see:

Now that we are over here, I am going to lock that thread after linking it here to this one so we can all work together.

44 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

noticing that every few days Plex builds up to using 99% of RAM, approximately 60gb.

The usual reason for a docker to fill RAM is if it has a mapping that doesn't correspond to actual storage. But I don't see anything like that in your mappings in that screenshot. That screenshot isn't showing them all though. The docker run command would give the full picture.

Plex doesn't normally write to anything but its appdata and its transcode path.

And your screenshot does have the appdata mapping hidden. What is the appdata mapping?

Where do you have the transcode folder set in the application?

On 1/10/2020 at 12:52 PM, trurl said:

The usual reason for a docker to fill RAM is if it has a mapping that doesn't correspond to actual storage. But I don't see anything like that in your mappings in that screenshot. That screenshot isn't showing them all though. The docker run command would give the full picture.

Plex doesn't normally write to anything but its appdata and its transcode path.

And your screenshot does have the appdata mapping hidden. What is the appdata mapping?

Where do you have the transcode folder set in the application?

Sorry about that. Here's the whole thing.

screencapture-mongo-Docker-UpdateContainer-2020-01-11-13_48_48.png

41 minutes ago, alturismo said:

he asks for your setting in plex, there is a transcode path setting ...

May not matter as far as RAM usage goes. All of his mappings are to actual storage. The default transcode path for plex winds up in appdata, and if he has it set to something else that isn't mapped, it would wind up in docker image.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:59 PM, cypres0099 said:

I'm noticing that every few days Plex builds up to using 99% of RAM, approximately 60gb.

Can you provide some evidence that it is indeed using that much RAM? Just to make sure there isn't some misunderstanding. Maybe you are just seeing I/O buffer.

29 minutes ago, trurl said:

Can you provide some evidence that it is indeed using that much RAM? Just to make sure there isn't some misunderstanding. Maybe you are just seeing I/O buffer.

I'm not sure what to provide here. What kind of evidence do we need? I can stream multiple streams at once with the RAM usage hardly being affected. But the RAM will be 99% used when there are no active streams. A simple restart of the docker takes the RAM back to normal.

6 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

Cool, just changed it. Thanks! Will monitor to make sure that's fixed the problem.

and may check if /mnt/user/Trans.... is existing on your unraid host, its pretty uncommon layout for trans path on host ... u created a share like this ?

most use a sub path in something like /mnt/user/appdata/plex.....

51 minutes ago, cypres0099 said:

Oh I see. Here you go.

2020-01-11_15-41-00.png

This does show he is writing to a path that isn't mapped, but the result of that would be to fill docker image, not fill RAM.

In any case, go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

32 minutes ago, trurl said:

Something that actually shows that 99% number. Is that from the Dashboard, or from System Stats?

I'll grab a screen shot if it happens again.

31 minutes ago, trurl said:

This does show he is writing to a path that isn't mapped, but the result of that would be to fill docker image, not fill RAM.

In any case, go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

Zip attached

51 minutes ago, alturismo said:

and may check if /mnt/user/Trans.... is existing on your unraid host, its pretty uncommon layout for trans path on host ... u created a share like this ?

most use a sub path in something like /mnt/user/appdata/plex.....

Yeah, I created that share a long time ago. Can't remember specifically why.

mongo-diagnostics-20200111-1659.zip