[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I am still having issues connecting my linuxserver Plex docker to my nas assets. 

Updated container command is successful

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' --log-opt max-size='50m' --log-opt max-file='1' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/SutFlix/':'/SutFlix/':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutTunes/':'/SutTunes/':'rw' -v '/Transcode/':'/Transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutPix/':'/SutPix/':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sutterstuff/':'/Sutterstuff/':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

6ecfac4900f0a7e362898a5786f19879a88d8bbe2503112c7583087e080dffd1

The command finished successfully!

When I try to run the Webui - I get refused to connect IP can't be reached.

Within PLEX.tv when I log in, the NAS is not one of the authorized devices though I have access to all of the folders on my network.

This was working the other day and poof again... I lost connection

what can I do to get this working again?

Plex Media Server Logs_2020-01-12_07-48-00.zip

I have a strange problem with Plex... I'm not sure if this is a problem with container or unRaid itself but my best guess it's the container...

I have a MiBox3 with Plex player attached to my TV which I use to play my movies and TV shows. 2 months ago I was able to play every single video file that is on my Plex server, now I can play some of them, some I cant and I'm receiving error (on my TV) saying something like "playback was stopped because connection with Plex Server was lost. Make sure that the server is reachable and try again". Whats weird I can play other movies that are located on the same share and on the same disk. I can also play those media with Plex on my Windows 10 VM which is hosted on my unRaid server. Whats even weirder, when I play them on Windows VM and in Plex I choose MiBox as a player... the movie starts playing on my TV. As I said I'm 100% sure that no longer than two months ago, I was able to play those media files from my MiBox without any problem. I've attached diagnostic in case it could help...

statekmatka-diagnostics-20200113-1859.zip

PLEX throwing error at container startup - "Execution Error: Bad Parameter"

d/t the expert tutelage of all of our fine community members (who also do not seem to need any form of sleep! 😴) I was able to figure this error out on my own, and decided to post the solution for others, JIC they run into the same error.

Situation: Updated unRAID OS to 6.8.1 and received this error when trying to start the PLEX container: “execution error: bad parameter.”

Background: Ran pre-upgrade “Update Assistant” under TOOLS, did everything form there and updated the OS with no OS upgrade issues.

Assessment: Since the error indicated “bad parameter” that told me it has something to do with the Parameters set at install and subsequently used by the RUN command (thanks to Saarg for that education in particular). Since I had not changed anything in my PLEX setup, I was able to conclude I was missing something the RUN was looking for.

Fix: The missing item was the Nvidia drivers (again!). Reinstalled them (6.8.0 version as there was none listed for 6.8.1) and voila, container is running and no more evil looks/texts from everyone using the Docker.

image.png.6993801d9bbd722f7ec5747e1bf3a202.png

Thanks again to the community for helping me quickly figure out, on my own, how to fix this error!

Hope this post helps someone else.

14 minutes ago, TechMed said:

Situation: Updated unRAID OS to 6.8.1 and received this error when trying to start the PLEX container: “execution error: bad parameter.”

14 minutes ago, TechMed said:

Fix: The missing item was the Nvidia drivers (again!). Reinstalled them (6.8.0 version as there was none listed for 6.8.1) and voila, container is running and no more evil looks/texts from everyone using the Docker.

You downgraded to Unraid OS 6.8 then. The Nvidia "drivers" you reinstalled is not simply the drivers. It is actually a custom build of a specific version of Unraid itself. So you are no longer running Unraid 6.8.1

6 minutes ago, rsutter said:

I have NOT! To be honest, I am not sure if I should do this. If I want to rebuild the docker and reload, will the appdata be put in fresh?

If you delete the appdata then install plex you will be starting fresh with plex on your server. I don't know if that is what you're asking.

I deleted the appdata and restarted docker. I then tried to reinstall Plex and the container install failed

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' --log-opt max-size='50m' --log-opt max-file='1' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v 'mnt/user/SutFlix/':'/SutFlix':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutTunes/':'/music':'rw' -v '':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutPix/':'/SutPix/':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sutterstuff/':'/Sutterstuff/':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: create mnt/user/SutFlix/: "mnt/user/SutFlix/" includes invalid characters for a local volume name, only "[a-zA-Z0-9][a-zA-Z0-9_.-]" are allowed. If you intended to pass a host directory, use absolute path.
See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

The command failed.

I will go through each of the volume maps to see where there is the error.

I changed the mapping to be:

/Sutterstuff//mnt/user/Sutterstuff
/config/mnt/user/appdata/plex
/SutFlix/mnt/user/SutFlix
/music/mnt/user/SutTunes
/SutPix//mnt/user/SutPix

The container loaded successfully but when I try to launch the Plex Webui I get the screen that site can't be reached

1 hour ago, rsutter said:

Error response from daemon: create mnt/user/SutFlix/: "mnt/user/SutFlix/" .... If you intended to pass a host directory, use absolute path.

It was telling you that mnt/user/Sutflix should have been /mnt/user/SutFlix

1 hour ago, rsutter said:

I changed the mapping to be:

/Sutterstuff//mnt/user/Sutterstuff
/config/mnt/user/appdata/plex
/SutFlix/mnt/user/SutFlix
/music/mnt/user/SutTunes
/SutPix//mnt/user/SutPix

Your way of listing these mappings isn't very helpful. Just post the docker run command.

I changed the paths per your response.  Here is the Docker run command which loaded 'successfully'

Command:root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' --log-opt max-size='50m' --log-opt max-file='1' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/SutFlix':'/SutFlix':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutTunes':'/SutTunes':'rw' -v '/Transcode/':'/Transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutPix':'/SutPix':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sutterstuff':'/Sutterstuff':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

2e9326e325327b66a41fae41fbb68b8b0e51d964479cb139dbcaf7fc5135a5df

The same thing occurs when I launch the WebUI -- no connection - refused!

Within Plex.tv, the NAS that stores all of my assets is not an authorized device so the server can't connect which is the bigger issue.

Any suggestions?

8 hours ago, rsutter said:

I changed the paths per your response.  Here is the Docker run command which loaded 'successfully'

Command:root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' --log-opt max-size='50m' --log-opt max-file='1' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/SutFlix':'/SutFlix':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutTunes':'/SutTunes':'rw' -v '/Transcode/':'/Transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutPix':'/SutPix':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sutterstuff':'/Sutterstuff':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

2e9326e325327b66a41fae41fbb68b8b0e51d964479cb139dbcaf7fc5135a5df

The same thing occurs when I launch the WebUI -- no connection - refused!

Within Plex.tv, the NAS that stores all of my assets is not an authorized device so the server can't connect which is the bigger issue.

Any suggestions?

I don't understand the part about your NAS is not an authorized device so the server can't connect?

You are not going to see the NAS as an authorized device. Your plex server will show up on your account.

I assume that by NAS you mean unraid? You mount those folders to the container. So that is not an issue. Your issue is that for some reason you can't connect to the container.

Post the log of the container so we can see what is happening.

Also, you have to be on the same network (as in 10.0.0.X) to be able to access the container.

And just in case you don't know. Your host path for transcodes is /transcodes which will be in RAM. You then might have issues that you RAM get filled.

The NAS is running UNRAID. This is where all of my movie, music, photo assets are held.

The NAS assets are on my home network and are accessible through my desktop. The authorized devices in Plex.tv does not recognize SutterStuff which is the name of the NAS. I have included a screen shot of the authorized devices that Plex shows.

If I click on LOG, all I get is this:

ErrorWarningSystemArrayLogin

Starting Plex Media Server.

Because I can't connect my assets (movies, music, etc) in plex, this is why this doesnt work I believe.

I updated the docker and it was successful

Command:root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/SutFlix':'/SutFlix':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutTunes':'/SutTunes':'rw' -v '/Transcode/':'/Transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutPix':'/SutPix':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sutterstuff':'/Sutterstuff':'rw' -v '':'/movies':'rw' -v '':'/tv':'rw' -v '':'/music':'rw' -v '':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

bf785d28399a3bbd44ded9cddd7bed02a27f1fd9586bbaaf971975ece2097ef2

If I try to load the WebUI in the docker I get can't be reached.

I have read if I delete an authorized device and log back in, devices will reconnect and be accessible but this is not the case.

site not reached.jpg

unraid.jpg

authorized devices.jpg

Here is the log

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: executing...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: executing...
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Docker is used for versioning skip update check
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

4 hours ago, rsutter said:

The NAS is running UNRAID. This is where all of my movie, music, photo assets are held.

The NAS assets are on my home network and are accessible through my desktop. The authorized devices in Plex.tv does not recognize SutterStuff which is the name of the NAS. I have included a screen shot of the authorized devices that Plex shows.

If I click on LOG, all I get is this:

Because I can't connect my assets (movies, music, etc) in plex, this is why this doesnt work I believe.

I updated the docker and it was successful

Command:root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/SutFlix':'/SutFlix':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutTunes':'/SutTunes':'rw' -v '/Transcode/':'/Transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/SutPix':'/SutPix':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Sutterstuff':'/Sutterstuff':'rw' -v '':'/movies':'rw' -v '':'/tv':'rw' -v '':'/music':'rw' -v '':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

bf785d28399a3bbd44ded9cddd7bed02a27f1fd9586bbaaf971975ece2097ef2

If I try to load the WebUI in the docker I get can't be reached.

I have read if I delete an authorized device and log back in, devices will reconnect and be accessible but this is not the case.

site not reached.jpg

unraid.jpg

authorized devices.jpg

It does not have to do with not finding your media. You need to set up the server and add the folders you set up.

Try changing the appdata path to /mnt/cache/appdata/plex instead of /mnt/user/appdata/plex.

If you haven't been running plex before on unraid, try deleting the plex appdata folder before applying the changes.

Also post the log appdata/plex/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/Logs/Plex Media Server.log

On 1/7/2020 at 11:49 AM, JT24 said:

@Mogo, The below may be able to help you.

I had quite a few issues setting up Plex initially. 

At first it was simple to get it going. content added fine. everything was working correctly.

The next day, "Server Unavailable".... great.

I did quite a lot of research and learnt quite a bit. This is what I learnt.

- IPv6 should be disabled, can cause some instability and trouble accesing the service.

Settings -> General -> Network

image.png.876f7d26f33d2951251f8264906c9ad3.png

- Set the appdata folder specifically to 1 drive. This way, unraid can't move it around in the bachground and destroy links.

Edit Docker -> Advanced View -> Show More Settings.

image.png.81290dacd6786f81b13003a9d3152855.png

- Install the "Krusader" Docker Container. This will allow you to navigate to the appdata folder.

image.png.4d47eaf90ac4c0d94350ad2ba63aadf9.png

- I don't like to wait the full 3 days usually, so I'll stop Plex, open Krusader, navigate to this folder, make a copy of the library.db file, name it library.db-2020-01-07 for example.

If i have a corruption issues later, i'll rename the existing library.db to library.ob-old.

Find my latest backup, copy it, rename to ......library.db

Start Plex, and that fixes the problem every time. if it doesn't I just use the backup before.

- If you want to make sure that the DB is corrupt, open the live logs.

(Click on the Docker -> Logs)

image.png.37ebdef56fe91462d851e655064f74e8.png

This is what i'd call "Normal"

When you see

Starting Plex Media Server

It's corrupt.

I'm explaing all of these in as simple term I know in the hopes that this would help many people out there.

I'll be honest, it's not the easiest thing to setup if you're a semi-cleanskin.

I've been there.
But once you get it all setup and working, my gosh is it fantastic.

If you have any more questions, just ask. :)

@rsutter, try the above.