[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

28 minutes ago, chooch said:

What is the difference in Container Path and Host Path? 

Host path is the actual path on your server (host). /mnt/disk2/Movies/Blu-ray in your example. Container path is the name your Plex app sees to represent that path. If you set the container path to /bluray then if you go to that location from inside the app you’ll see all the items in /mnt/disk2/Movies/Blu-ray. Hope that helps.

You may also want to have a look at the Docker FAQ. It’s only a couple of pages long.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-docker-faq/

11 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

You may also want to have a look at the Docker FAQ. It’s only a couple of pages long.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-docker-faq/

Thank you very much and I will read that faq.  The one thing I noticed is the Plex docker did not like me using the same container path for 2 different hosts.  For example:

host :/mnt/disk1/Movies/Blu-ray    with container path /bluray

host :/mnt/disk2/Movies/Blu-ray    with container path /bluray

That gave an error and removed the docker from my unraid.  So I guess going forward I will just name the container path to match the disk like /bluray1 and /bluray2.  My initial concern with setting the container path to /bluray instead of /mnt/disk2/Movies/Blu-ray is I thought it might  try to create that user share /bluray on my server.  However now that I understand container path is basically the name my plex app sees that makes more sense.

Edited by chooch

Yes, you can’t use the same container path to point to two different host paths.  Not sure exactly what your goal is but you could use /mnt/user/Movies/Blu-ray for the host path and then you would only need one container path no matter how many disks were being used.

If you use a host path in the docker configuration that doesn’t actually exist then it will be created on your server. Your server never sees the container paths though. They are completely isolated within the container.

5 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Yes, you can’t use the same container path to point to two different host paths.  Not sure exactly what your goal is but you could use /mnt/user/Movies/Blu-ray for the host path and then you would only need one container path no matter how many disks were being used.

If you use a host path in the docker configuration that doesn’t actually exist then it will be created on your server. Your server never sees the container paths though. They are completely isolated within the container.

I don't think I actually have a host path of /mnt/user/Movies/Blu-ray since I never setup my unraid to have user share folders.  I uploaded a picture of all my folders:  My goal is just to add all my media from the different disks to Plex.  My media is simple and setup as:

/mnt/disk1/movies/blu-ray

/mnt/disk2/movies/blu-ray

/mnt/disk3/tv

So I am thinking I just need to have 3 individual container paths for each of those and I will be OK. 

unraid folders.JPG

8 hours ago, chooch said:

I don't think I actually have a host path of /mnt/user/Movies/Blu-ray since I never setup my unraid to have user share folders.  I uploaded a picture of all my folders:  My goal is just to add all my media from the different disks to Plex.  My media is simple and setup as:

/mnt/disk1/movies/blu-ray

/mnt/disk2/movies/blu-ray

/mnt/disk3/tv

So I am thinking I just need to have 3 individual container paths for each of those and I will be OK. 

unraid folders.JPG

By creating a folder on a disk you have also created a user share. So if you make the same folder on two disks, you will have all the content in one share. Let's take your movie folders. That is a share that everything on all disks with that folder name is included. If you choose /mnt/user/movies as the host path and /movies as a container path, everything on all disks, having the movie folder, will be seen by the container in the /movie folder.

Hi guys, I keep getting this message on my Android devices:

- Old Fire TV

- FireTV Stick 4k

- Brand New FireTV Stick 4k

- Samsung Galaxy S10+

- Samsung Tab S4

1480058622_WhatsAppImage2020-02-02at14_14_20.thumb.jpeg.800ff41662b84d02b6d80b357349e541.jpeg

On the Tab S4 if i play the same item via the web browser it plays just fine, but using the app I get the above error!

Any idead how to resolve this issue? Seems to have started recently.

Many thanks

On 1/31/2020 at 10:32 AM, saarg said:

It updates on start, so if it says a new version is available, restart the container.

The container is also rebuilt when there is a new release, but that is only true for the public version. If you have plexpass, it will update to the plexpass at start.

Interestingly, the current update doesn't seem to be happening on my server, as it has in the past.
I'm currently running 
And plex is reporting an update is available to 

I've restarted, force updated, uninstalled and reinstalled. I imagine this issue will probably end up resolving itself eventually.

17 hours ago, saarg said:

By creating a folder on a disk you have also created a user share. So if you make the same folder on two disks, you will have all the content in one share. Let's take your movie folders. That is a share that everything on all disks with that folder name is included. If you choose /mnt/user/movies as the host path and /movies as a container path, everything on all disks, having the movie folder, will be seen by the container in the /movie folder.

My apologies for having Movies and movies written in my previous posts  I changed everything to all capital letters so that way I never make that mistake.  Here is the actual folder structure of my setup along with the docker mapping and it worked:

/tv/mnt <-- /disk1/TV SHOWS/

/movies/disk1 <-- /mnt/disk1/TV SHOWS/

/movies/disk2 <-- /mnt/disk2/MOVIES/BLU-RAY/

/movies/disk3 <-- /mnt/disk3/MOVIES/BLU-RAY/

/movies/disk4 <-- /mnt/disk4/MOVIES/BLU-RAY/

/movies/disk5 <-- /mnt/disk5/MOVIES/BLU-RAY/
/movies/disk6 <-- /mnt/disk6/MOVIES/BLU-RAY/

/movies/disk6 <-- /mnt/disk6/MOVIES/DVD/
/config <--> /mnt/disk6/Docker/appdata/plex

So if I just choose /mnt/user/MOVIES/BLU-RAY as the host path that will grab all files from disk2 to disk6 with the BLU-RAY folders?

Plex.JPG

Edited by chooch
2 minutes ago, chooch said:

My apologies for having Movies and movies written in my previous posts  I changed everything to all capital letters so that way I never make that mistake.  Here is the actual folder structure of my setup along with the docker mapping and it worked:

/tv/mnt <-- /disk1/TV SHOWS/

/movies/disk1 <-- /mnt/disk1/TV SHOWS/

/movies/disk2 <-- /mnt/disk2/MOVIES/BLU-RAY/

/movies/disk3 <-- /mnt/disk3/MOVIES/BLU-RAY/

/movies/disk4 <-- /mnt/disk4/MOVIES/BLU-RAY/

/movies/disk5 <-- /mnt/disk5/MOVIES/BLU-RAY/
/movies/disk6 <-- /mnt/disk6/MOVIES/BLU-RAY/

/movies/disk6 <-- /mnt/disk6/MOVIES/DVD/
/config <--> /mnt/disk6/Docker/appdata/plex

So if I just choose /mnt/user/MOVIES/BLU-RAY as the host path that will grab all files from disk2 to disk6 with the BLU-RAY folders?

Plex.JPG

Correct, /mnt/user is the array itself, including cache. It's all merged together into one big drive there.
You could also just map /mnt/moves over and it will grab all movies from both the DVD and Blu-Ray folders. It goes as deep as the filesystem nests.

Edited by Xaero
12 hours ago, Xaero said:

Correct, /mnt/user is the array itself, including cache. It's all merged together into one big drive there.
You could also just map /mnt/moves over and it will grab all movies from both the DVD and Blu-Ray folders. It goes as deep as the filesystem nests.

Awesome and I will give that a try.  I like having 2 separate movie libraries in Plex so that way the DVD's and BLU-RAY's are not mixed together.  I rarely watch anything in DVD anymore due to the lack of quality however some of the movies have not been made in Blu-ray yet so that is the best format I have for now.

Edited by chooch
On 1/31/2020 at 10:40 AM, Hoopster said:

By "I never restart the container" I mean that I never manually restart the container as an isolated action.  Of course, when I click on the 'Apply Update' link or 'Update All' button in the Dockers tab, the container is restarted, so the effect is the same.  I have Plex Pass but am usually not in a rush to update to the latest version unless it happens to fix bugs rather than introducing new ones 😁

edit container settings to Version to 'latest' instead of version

1 hour ago, Xaero said:

Interestingly, the current update doesn't seem to be happening on my server, as it has in the past.
I'm currently running 
And plex is reporting an update is available to 

I've restarted, force updated, uninstalled and reinstalled. I imagine this issue will probably end up resolving itself eventually.

Plex changed something in the packaging and it failed to install when we build, so that might be the issue. Post the container log and we can see what is happening.

So im still getting the dreaded busy DB - Walls and walls of below. Ive resorted to a restart of the docker every morning at 5am to clear it. 

Sqlite3: Sleeping for 200ms to retry busy DB.

Now i have the docker configured to /mnt/cache/appdata/plex. This is sitting on 2x 2tb nvme drives (samsung 970 and sabrent for abit of fault tollerance).

i cant see how its endind up with a busy db as it has plenty of IO. any advice for me to look into next?

4 hours ago, coblck said:

Tried this and still won't update 

Post the docker log.

9 hours ago, saarg said:

Plex changed something in the packaging and it failed to install when we build, so that might be the issue. Post the container log and we can see what is happening.

Thanks for reminding me to read. I reinstalled the docker - which got rid of my version=latest. It was falling back on docker version. I set to latest and it updated. It hung after updating (nothing in the log, other than complaining about not being able to delete the init directory. Just the usual services startup followed by "Done." at the end but no webui) restarting the container again fixed that. A bit strange behavior but seems to be up and working again. 

I'm having this god awful plex token bug and can't seem to get Plex Media Server to grab the token when the Docker is run.

# Login via the webui at http://<ip>:32400/web #
# and restart the docker, because there was no #
# plex token found in the preference file #

is the error I'm getting in the log file

so earlier today I was having an odd buffering issue on my Android tablet so I logged out of my account on the Plex Android app and tried to log back in. When I tried logging back in using my Google account (like I always do) I got (and still get) a error message saying it is unable to authenticate the token or something like that.

When doing some googling about plex and a token, I saw a help page saying I can get some new token by going to the Plex website, changing my password and then selecting an option to log out all other devices which are logged in using my account

I did that and now I'm having trouble getting any plex app/player to see my server. I'm sure it's likely because of this plex token this as that field is blank in my preferences.xml file (and why I'm getting that message in the log file).

but I can't seem to figure out how to trigger the server to retrieve the token. I've seen a couple of github tickets that say certain routers can cause this issue, but I'm not sure how to resolve it

any help would be greatly appreciated (sorry for the wall of text)

edit - here is my run command

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='latest' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV Shows/':'/TV':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Music/':'/Music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Wrestling/':'/Wrestling':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Misc/Books':'/audiobooks':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Misc/Photos/':'/mnt/user/Misc/Photos/':'rw' -v '':'/tv':'rw' -v '':'/music':'rw' -v '':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/cache/appdata/plex/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 
579485c6a9f8cda45fc0ee9e257c08a31c29b286f0ac2a1415e8d046ed9b5be0

The command finished successfully!

Edited by Endda
1 hour ago, Endda said:

I'm having this god awful plex token bug and can't seem to get Plex Media Server to grab the token when the Docker is run.

is the error I'm getting in the log file

so earlier today I was having an odd buffering issue on my Android tablet so I logged out of my account on the Plex Android app and tried to log back in. When I tried logging back in using my Google account (like I always do) I got (and still get) a error message saying it is unable to authenticate the token or something like that.

When doing some googling about plex and a token, I saw a help page saying I can get some new token by going to the Plex website, changing my password and then selecting an option to log out all other devices which are logged in using my account

I did that and now I'm having trouble getting any plex app/player to see my server. I'm sure it's likely because of this plex token this as that field is blank in my preferences.xml file (and why I'm getting that message in the log file).

but I can't seem to figure out how to trigger the server to retrieve the token. I've seen a couple of github tickets that say certain routers can cause this issue, but I'm not sure how to resolve it

any help would be greatly appreciated (sorry for the wall of text)

edit - here is my run command

That's really a plex specific issue and you should ask on their forums

12 minutes ago, aptalca said:

That's really a plex specific issue and you should ask on their forums

oops, I'm sorry for asking in the wrong place. I figured if I asked there then they would just tell me to switch to their docker instead of LS.IO's

I'll see what they say. . .

On 2/3/2020 at 1:16 AM, saarg said:

Having the same issue, docker says there is an update, on version 1.18.4.2171, tell it to update and get the following:

Pulling image: linuxserver/plex:latest

IMAGE ID [latest]: Pulling from linuxserver/plex. 

TOTAL DATA PULLED: 0 B

Where is the container log located by chance?  I know when I click on log next to the docker, there isn't much in there.