[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

7 hours ago, deaerator said:

Moving UNRAID to a new setup, and curious if there is any benefit to creating a new Plex Media Server and a config folder in appdata or can i just copy or move my current Plex Media Server config folder and just a new docker? 

That depends on what you want with you from the old setup.

Of you want the watched status and all settings, then copy the appdata from the old container.

If you don't mind setting all settings again and either don't care about watched status or use trakt to sync it (if there is plugin for plex), then start fresh.

9 hours ago, deaerator said:

Moving UNRAID to a new setup, and curious if there is any benefit to creating a new Plex Media Server and a config folder in appdata or can i just copy or move my current Plex Media Server config folder and just a new docker? 

Seems to me you don't want to change anything, not even a new docker. Why would you? In what way is your new Unraid configuration going to be different than the old one? Even if you needed to setup docker again the templates on your flash would allow you to simply do Previous Apps.

If it is simply a matter of replacing hardware and reusing the drives then nothing changes as far as your configuration is concerned. If it is copying all shares to new drives then nothing changes as far as plex is concerned assuming you haven't specified drive paths in your mappings.

If you intend your new setup to be much different, such as share names, etc. then of course your old plex library won't know anything about those changes.

Maybe you need to elaborate on this "new setup".

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Seems to me you don't want to change anything, not even a new docker. Why would you? In what way is your new Unraid configuration going to be different than the old one?

If it is simply a matter of replacing hardware and reusing the drives then nothing changes as far as your configuration is concerned. If it is copying all shares to new drives then nothing changes as far as plex is concerned assuming you haven't specified drive paths in your mappings.

If you intend your new setup to be much different, such as share names, etc. then of course your old plex library won't know anything about those changes.

Maybe you need to elaborate on this "new setup".

My dual xeon setup died and I'm going to use my 7700k as a replacement along with a 28 bay Supermicro JBOD disk station from Ebay.  What I was curious about is when I move over to the new machine, is there any real benefit starting from a scratch setup or just restore my appdata folder and pray that everything works. Pathways and mappings will remain the same. 

14 minutes ago, deaerator said:

My dual xeon setup died and I'm going to use my 7700k as a replacement along with a 28 bay Supermicro JBOD disk station from Ebay.  What I was curious about is when I move over to the new machine, is there any real benefit starting from a scratch setup or just restore my appdata folder and pray that everything works. Pathways and mappings will remain the same. 

If you're using the same flash drive, and using the same disks, then everything is just as it was as far as your Unraid configuration is concerned. No need or benefit in changing anything. No need to restore appdata since it is already on the existing disks.

20 hours ago, cypres0099 said:

It took a lot longer than it usually does, but I just captured the log while the RAM was at 100% usage. 

mongo-diagnostics-20200211-1957.zip 197.51 kB · 1 download

One thing that sticks out to me is consistent errors being logged for a bad mount on a docker in your docker.log:

time="2020-02-10T03:00:28.206543882-06:00" level=warning msg="8bef78bb005287a7ed6759abcaba9f88efd104e42233fcce69b723c3b9544115 cleanup: failed to unmount IPC: umount /var/lib/docker/containers/8bef78bb005287a7ed6759abcaba9f88efd104e42233fcce69b723c3b9544115/mounts/shm, flags: 0x2: no such file or directory"

We can also see in the ps output (line 327) the alarming memory usage here:

nobody    3913 21.7 92.8 64691356 61261236 ?   Ssl  Feb10 510:05      |           \_ /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server

Could you post the docker run command for the Plex container?
I thought I had asked for it before, but am mistaken. I don't see anything suggesting "why" plex is using so much ram yet. It also looks like the plex docker log is not included in this diagnostics zip, unfortunately.

Edited by Xaero
2 hours ago, Xaero said:

Could you post the docker run command for the Plex container?
I thought I had asked for it before, but am mistaken. I don't see anything suggesting "why" plex is using so much ram yet. It also looks like the plex docker log is not included in this diagnostics zip, unfortunately.

DOH! Was there some specific way I was supposed to get the diagnostics to make sure it was included?

Any tips on getting rid of the bad docker mount?

Here's the screenshot of the run command for plex

2020-02-12_18-47-33.png

Hello all,

I have been getting the following error when I run metadata match on my movies:

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/difflib.py:416: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
for j in b2j.get(a, nothing):
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/difflib.py:437: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
a[besti+bestsize] == b[bestj+bestsize]:
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/difflib.py:433: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
a[besti-1] == b[bestj-1]:

It seems that refreshing the metadata of my movie collection stops midways. Plex works but the movies themselves seem not to refresh data such as if they have been already played. I have never had that issue before, so I checked my Plex logs and this is the issue that keeps coming up every time I run it. I have to restart Plex docker and my movie library goes back to normal.

I’ve searched for answers but nothing has helped me figured out this issue. Thanks!

2 hours ago, luigi408 said:

Hello all,

I have been getting the following error when I run metadata match on my movies:

/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/difflib.py:416: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
for j in b2j.get(a, nothing):
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/difflib.py:437: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
a[besti+bestsize] == b[bestj+bestsize]:
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/difflib.py:433: UnicodeWarning: Unicode equal comparison failed to convert both arguments to Unicode - interpreting them as being unequal
a[besti-1] == b[bestj-1]:

It seems that refreshing the metadata of my movie collection stops midways. Plex works but the movies themselves seem not to refresh data such as if they have been already played. I have never had that issue before, so I checked my Plex logs and this is the issue that keeps coming up every time I run it. I have to restart Plex docker and my movie library goes back to normal.

I’ve searched for answers but nothing has helped me figured out this issue. Thanks!

That sounds like a plex issue. You should ask them on their forums

I upgraded to 6.8.2 yesterday and then Plex stopped working, I noticed I had the old depreceated version so I decided to follow the video by Spaceinvaderone and migrate to a newer supported Plex docker from Linuxserver team. I am still having the same issues with the new docker as the old one. I can login to Plex via the webgui, page loads erros for all my folders and shows cannot connect to server. I also tried another new installation without referencing any of the old Docker appdata and I get the "No soup for you error after webgui login".

no soup.PNG

plex error 2.PNG

plex error.PNG

I'm having trouble syncing content to my device for offline use. I tried Xiaomi Mi 8 and Samsung S10+, Both phones can direct play any file i have on the server, but when i try to sync for offline use in ORIGINAL quaility, it keeps converting it.
I tried doing this https://mostlyirrelevant.info/force-plex-to-download-sync-videos-without-transcoding/ 
But keeps transcoding. 
All my files are converted with handbrake with this profile Capture.thumb.PNG.db53d93529d957bb3af2d37440779edd.PNG

I would accept to transcode audio, but not video. It takes a lot of time and cpu power.

On 2/21/2020 at 8:35 PM, wedge22 said:

I upgraded to 6.8.2 yesterday and then Plex stopped working, I noticed I had the old depreceated version so I decided to follow the video by Spaceinvaderone and migrate to a newer supported Plex docker from Linuxserver team. I am still having the same issues with the new docker as the old one. I can login to Plex via the webgui, page loads erros for all my folders and shows cannot connect to server. I also tried another new installation without referencing any of the old Docker appdata and I get the "No soup for you error after webgui login".

no soup.PNG

plex error 2.PNG

plex error.PNG

i got the exact same problem. Plex will run as it should for like 10min after a full reboot of my unraid server. After the 10min then its dies again.

Anyone there got a fix to this problem?

1 hour ago, MagicSG1 said:

Been having serious problems with Plex since updating to 6.8.2 the last few days. At least it’s not just me. I’m getting the exact same Unicode error as above. Libraries failing to update etc6D5495F5-88C2-4FA9-B6FA-CA0029A6C8B5.thumb.jpeg.a23e0340a87c1d6d06ad1b9ef53b7930.jpeg

Plex Media Scanner.log 2.17 MB · 0 downloads

https://forums.plex.tv/t/unicodewarning-errors-while-updating-library-metadata/545011/8

I asked about this error in the Plex since I’m not the only one having it. No help yet. They don’t see the error in my Plex logs. 

5 hours ago, luigi408 said:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/unicodewarning-errors-while-updating-library-metadata/545011/8

I asked about this error in the Plex since I’m not the only one having it. No help yet. They don’t see the error in my Plex logs. 

Seems like its just you and me at the minute chief. Been at it for 3 days trying to sort it but to no avail. Ive moved to Emby for now. Not as "clean" but at least it works.

I have my Quadro RTX 4000 installed. 

I have 10 streams being transcoded but when I put the command

watch nvidia smi
Every 2.0s: nvidia-smi                                                                       Tower: Tue Feb 25 20:56:21 2020

Tue Feb 25 20:56:21 2020
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 440.44       Driver Version: 440.44       CUDA Version: 10.2     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  Quadro RTX 4000     Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| 38%   66C    P0    56W / 125W |   1448MiB /  7982MiB |      0%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0      4578      C   /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder     287MiB |
|    0      5681      C   /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder     287MiB |
|    0     20512      C   /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder     287MiB |
|    0     28979      C   /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder     303MiB |
|    0     31004      C   /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Transcoder     270MiB

Tautulli reports all streams are HW transcoding but watch nvidia-smi states another. 

Also all my cpu cores are pegged at 100%

tower-diagnostics-20200224-0634.zip Plex Media Server Logs_2020-02-25_21-07-53.zip

Edited by deaerator

Not sure if it has anything to do with Plex but I’m also getting the following error in my UnRAID logs. Could someone tell me what I have to do to fix it please:

Feb 25 21:02:29 homeserver kernel: ffmpeg[7151]: segfault at 0 ip 0000000000d751fc sp 00007ffdb0cd86d0 error 4 in ffmpeg[400000+1470000]

Feb 25 21:02:29 homeserver kernel: ffmpeg[7157]: segfault at 0 ip 0000000000d751fc sp 00007ffe0a0a5d00 error 4 in ffmpeg[400000+1470000]

How can I enable hardware transcoding in the Linuxserver.io docker?  This is new to me.  I my googling, I saw to just click off the -->Transcoder->"Use hardware acceleration when available" and then also "Use hardware-accelerated video encoding" boxes. I have transcoder quality at "prefer higher speed encoding".

Here is a list of my settings:

Transcoder quality: Prefer higher speed encoding

Transcoder temporary directory: /transcode

Transcoder default throttle buffer: 60

Background transcoding x264 preset: Very Fast

Disable video stream transcoding: UNCHECKED

Use hardware acceleration when available: CHECKED

Use hardware-accelerated video encoding: CHECKED

Maximum simultaneous video transcode: Unlimited

As for the docker, 

/mnt/user/appdata/plex runs on the cache drives (I have 1.5TB total in SSD)

transcode directory: /tmp/transcode (this may be a mistake, not sure)

I peg all 16 cores at times.  Frequently it will hover at 40% for a transcode of 2160->1080.  Is this expected behavior?

I and using a /transcode directory mapped to /tmp/transcode.  Maybe I don't have enough ram to execute this manuever.  Where is an appropriate place for me to place the transcode directory?

Asrock Rack E3C246D4U

Intel® Xeon E-2288G

2x DR42666 ECC 32GB Samsung M391A4G43MB1-CTDQ (total 64GB)

i have a question about the same topic.

I setup plex to use /transcode for transcoding.

I mapped /tmp/plex on the host to /transcode.

Yesterday i run a 4Kmovie which needed to be transcoded. I saw, in the /transcode/sessions directory of the container numerous chunks of m2ts files.

During this the docker.img was filling up.

Today i change the mapping to /tmp -> /transcode

when i run a movie i see on the host the directory /tmp/Transcode/Sessions which contains a subdirectory :plex-transcode-oqrnbokfeqtz9q91j7lx3oi1-fc7b00aa-1215-4c0a-8150-147ff5696762

Why the hell is it in /tmp/Transcode and not /tmp/transcode ? Is Transcode directory hardcoded ? 

At least this time it transcodes in ram.

6 hours ago, caplam said:

i have a question about the same topic.

I setup plex to use /transcode for transcoding.

I mapped /tmp/plex on the host to /transcode.

Yesterday i run a 4Kmovie which needed to be transcoded. I saw, in the /transcode/sessions directory of the container numerous chunks of m2ts files.

During this the docker.img was filling up.

Today i change the mapping to /tmp -> /transcode

when i run a movie i see on the host the directory /tmp/Transcode/Sessions which contains a subdirectory :plex-transcode-oqrnbokfeqtz9q91j7lx3oi1-fc7b00aa-1215-4c0a-8150-147ff5696762

Why the hell is it in /tmp/Transcode and not /tmp/transcode ? Is Transcode directory hardcoded ? 

At least this time it transcodes in ram.

In addition to the mapping, you need to tell the Plex application itself where to store its transcodes in the Plex Settings.

3 hours ago, Bjur said:

Hi if I want to use my existing .nfo files I need xbmcnfo bundle, and I wanted to install webtools but I can't get write access to the plugin folder. How do I fix that?

Log into the server command line and copy them to the folder. As the root user you have full permissions. Or use Krusader docker if you have that setup.