[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

My plex server had stopped so I went poking around and saw two things - "libusb_init failed" and after saving/exiting the settings screen something about unknown nvidia command or run time. Now my plex docker shows up as an orphaned image and I only have an option to remove it when I click on it. Um...Can anyone point me in the right direction here? 

Any idea why my search results are slow?  It's not terrible, but averages about 5 seconds per search.  I would just assume it's part of not accessing the server directly anymore, but I am seeing results from other shared servers I am connected to (via the internet) before my own. 

12 hours ago, RS7588 said:

My plex server had stopped so I went poking around and saw two things - "libusb_init failed" and after saving/exiting the settings screen something about unknown nvidia command or run time. Now my plex docker shows up as an orphaned image and I only have an option to remove it when I click on it. Um...Can anyone point me in the right direction here? 

Did you upgrade unraid? Sounds like you upgraded to the normal build and not using the nvidia plugin to download the nvidia build.

I'm trying to create multiple TV libraries with different Shares in my Unraid. Is this possible?

One example:

I have a Share that's TV - Kids and a Share that's TV. I had previously created a Plex library with the TV share. If I wanted to create a second mutually-exclusive TV Library, how would I do that? I don't see any way to exclude a folder from being scanned, so I couldn't put TV - Kids inside the existing TV Share.

CLARIFICATION:

I have been able to make these libraries, but when I go to the Settings page in my Plex app in Unraid I only see the option for one TV folder and one Movie folder.

Edited by charle_bouq_123
Clarification on the bottom
14 minutes ago, charle_bouq_123 said:

I'm trying to create multiple TV libraries with different Shares in my Unraid. Is this possible?

One example:

I have a Share that's TV - Kids and a Share that's TV. I had previously created a Plex library with the TV share. If I wanted to create a second mutually-exclusive TV Library, how would I do that? I don't see any way to exclude a folder from being scanned, so I couldn't put TV - Kids inside the existing TV Share.

I would suggest posting this question in the Plex forums since it’s regarding the app functionality. Your much more likely to get a knowledgeable answer there.

If you can find a way to create separate libraries within the app then all you’ll need to do is set a separate path for each one in the docker.

1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

I would suggest posting this question in the Plex forums since it’s regarding the app functionality. Your much more likely to get a knowledgeable answer there.

If you can find a way to create separate libraries within the app then all you’ll need to do is set a separate path for each one in the docker.

Sorry, to clarify, I have been able to make more libraries but I have not found a way to have them scan different TV folders.

1 minute ago, charle_bouq_123 said:

Sorry, to clarify, I have been able to make more libraries but I have not found a way to have them scan different TV folders.

Just add a path in docker configuration for each share.

Example- host path- /mnt/user/kid_videos/  container path- /kid_videos/

Then in the app set /kid_videos for the source for that library.

After several years of using Plex, my cache drive (SSD) died a couple days ago. I had all my docker info including the docker image on it. I have since created a new docker image in a /system/ share, and also created an appdata share. Unfortunately the only appdata backup I had was 2 years old. I decided to just start out new. The only thing I have installed is Plex, and I did that from a "Previously Installed" app by clicking the "reinstall" button. All the volume mappings are correct, and I updated the Plex claim code. When logging in to Plex, I was able to access my users, and when clicking on my user, there is no server. I'm unable to find anything in settings. Have checked all logs I could find. I then tried removing the docker app, and delete all appdata. Kept getting an issue about not being able to delete a hidden file beginning with .fuse_hidden000xx. I then ran the reinstall process. At this point when trying to log into Plex, I get "There was an error signing in." Any help? Thanks so much!

Hi, I followed Byte My Bits guide to get HW decoding with my 2070 setup but when I monitor the usage, it seems like only decoding is done by my GPU and my CPU usage is still pretty high (4770k). Files are 4k HDR remuxes, and when I set it to convert highest aka 4k, it shows high encoding and decoding (monitoring with nvidia-smi -dmon -s u in console) but anything lower it shows 0 for encoding.

Is that guide outdated? I noticed in the first post, it mentions an edit that you don't need to do any of the console stuff like renaming plex transcoder to 2, and making a new one. I have a VM running that sometimes needs cpu usage so I'm trying to limit how much cpu usage plex is using right now (~30-40% with 1 1080p 20mbps stream). 

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'm having a major issue.

I want to store all the metadata on an SSD that is mounted via unassigned devices. From what I understand I can only do this if the entire appdata config path for this docker is moved to that SSD.

Once I do this (even with RW/Slave) it does not transcode videos (gives a "Playback Error Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install" error)

If installed in the regular appdata folder on the array everything works perfectly.

Is there anyway to solve this?

Cache drive filled up all the way and corrupted my plex installation. I have CA backup and extracted the tar and have all the files from a working backup back in the correct folder.

However, it recognizes this as a different server/plex install. For instance, remote access is disabled, and it shows my old server as inaccessable. Is there anyway to fix this?

Edited by privateer
6 hours ago, privateer said:

Cache drive filled up all the way and corrupted my plex installation. I have CA backup and extracted the tar and have all the files from a working backup back in the correct folder.

By this do you mean you restored the appdata from the backup? Did you also reinstall plex using the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page, or did you just reinstall it without using the Previous Apps feature?

Have you corrected whatever caused you to fill cache?

Have an issue.  Hope someone can help.  I was on nvidia plugin 6.8.0, however i upgraded straight from the unraid menu to 6.8.3.  I removed all the nvidia plugin stuff since I heard that plex has hardware transcoding support now.  Plex is also the latest linuxserver version.  I can't connect to plex and it has this in the logs:

Starting Plex Media Server.

That line keeps repeating till infinity.  I know this means database corruption.  Going through the plex forum when I run the commands to check for corruption or run a repair under linux (https://support.plex.tv/articles/201100678-repair-a-corrupt-database/?_ga=2.196733356.1089636088.1584550100-768537819.1565985532) I get this error:

Error: file is not a database

I don't have any backups.  The 4 that are listed don't work since this is probably related to that database corruption stuff.  Short of deleting the db to fix this issue and re-adding the libraries, is there any way to save and poster info or at the very least save what items were watched or is all that info lost now?

16 minutes ago, Mogo said:

Have an issue.  Hope someone can help.  I was on nvidia plugin 6.8.0, however i upgraded straight from the unraid menu to 6.8.3.  I removed all the nvidia plugin stuff since I heard that plex has hardware transcoding support now.  Plex is also the latest linuxserver version.  I can't connect to plex and it has this in the logs:

Starting Plex Media Server.

That line keeps repeating till infinity.  I know this means database corruption.  Going through the plex forum when I run the commands to check for corruption or run a repair under linux (https://support.plex.tv/articles/201100678-repair-a-corrupt-database/?_ga=2.196733356.1089636088.1584550100-768537819.1565985532) I get this error:

Error: file is not a database

I don't have any backups.  The 4 that are listed don't work since this is probably related to that database corruption stuff.  Short of deleting the db to fix this issue and re-adding the libraries, is there any way to save and poster info or at the very least save what items were watched or is all that info lost now?

You still need the nvidia build to use hardware transcoding with an nvidia card. You probably confused plex hardware decode ability with the need for the nvidia build.

If you can't restore the database, your only option is to start from scratch.

3 minutes ago, saarg said:

You still need the nvidia build to use hardware transcoding with an nvidia card. You probably confused plex hardware decode ability with the need for the nvidia build.

If you can't restore the database, your only option is to start from scratch.

Ah damn.  Well thanks for the info and clearing up my understanding about transcoding.

Hi, I am on my first UNRAID build, and while I am experienced in a Windows environment, I am very new to linux. My goal was to move my existing Windows Plex server over to UNRAID and a Plex docker. I built this server mostly for storage and dockers but would like to use VM's as well at a later point. I was able to setup the Plex docker and migrate my media and metadata over to the docker, but I am super stuck at one part. I cannot for the life of me get the iGPU working. I have a ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard and i9-9900K CPU. I have no other graphics card in the build and I have set the primary video in the bios to Onboard. I modified the Go file to include modprobe i915 and rebooted the server. The directory dev/dri never gets created. I tried troubleshooting all the steps I found in the forum and on the internet to no avail. I've tried the following ways to modify the Go file: 

#!/bin/bash
#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

also tried:

#!/bin/bash
#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Neither of these worked. There is no directory created. Also when I type 'modprobe i915' in the Plex Docker Console it says 'bash: modprobe: command not found' I'm not sure if it's the Plex Docker console I should be using. If it's not, my apologies for being a newbie :)

So if anyone can assist, I would really appreciate it. I cannot add the --device=/dev/dri to the extra parameters section because the directory doesn't exist. 

Edited by SeoulPlaya
19 minutes ago, SeoulPlaya said:

Also when I type 'modprobe i915' in the Plex Docker Console it says 'bash: modprobe: command not found' I'm not sure if it's the Plex Docker console I should be using. If it's not, my apologies for being a newbie :)

'modprobe i915' is a Linux command that should be entered at the CLI (terminal session from the GUI, SSH or telenet session, etc.)  It is not something entered in the Plex container console.

What version of unRAID are you using? 

I have an ASRock mb and Xeon CPU with iGPU.  Supposedly it uses the same UHD 630 GPU as the Intel 9x00 desktop CPUs.  I have the same go file entries as you do.  The iGPU/hardware transcoding works fine for me in Plex, HandBrake, etc.

Supposedly, the 9th generation iGPUs (such as yours) were not supported in Linux kernel versions lower than 4.20.  The kernel version in the latest release of unRAID is 4.19.xxx; however, others (and my experience bears this out) have reported that i915 in the current unRAID Linux kernel is working.

What happens when you type 'modprobe i915' at the Linux command line?