[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Oh wow. I'm on 6.8.3 with the linux kernel 4.19.xxx. Maybe that's it? That would suck lol. I just chose the latest stable version i think. So you have it working with UHD 630 GPU... When I try it on Putty SSH to my UNRAID server and type 'modprobe i915' and hit enter, it just goes to the next line as if it completed. No errors anyways.

Edited by SeoulPlaya
28 minutes ago, SeoulPlaya said:

'modprobe i915' and hit enter, it just goes to the next line as if it completed. No errors anyways.

That's good, no error, but is /dev/dri created ('cd /dev/dri')?

If it does not create /dev/dri after running 'modprobe i915' then you need a higher kernel version.  As mentioned you could try the 6.9 beta.

Yes, the UHD 630 iPGU in my Xeon E-2288G (supposedly the same iGPU as the i9 desktop family) is working for hardware transcoding with unRAID 6.8.3 and the Linux kernel 4.19.xxx

Edited by Hoopster
1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

Supposedly, the 9th generation iGPUs (such as yours) were not supported in Linux kernel versions lower than 4.20.  The kernel version in the latest release of unRAID is 4.19.xxx; however, others (and my experience bears this out) have reported that i915 in the current unRAID Linux kernel is working.

As an FYI, I'm running 6.9-beta 1 (kernel 5.5.8), with a 9th gen, and that directory does not get made either.  You need to add the i915.alpha_support=1 as dictated in the linked thread

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

As an FYI, I'm running 6.9-beta 1 (kernel 5.5.8), with a 9th gen, and that directory does not get made either.  You need to add the i915.alpha_support=1 as dictated in the linked thread

For whatever reason, and I am not complaining at all, I have never needed the alpha_support=1 added to syslinux.cfg.  Perhaps there is some difference between the 9th generation Xeon family and the i9 desktop family as far as UHD 630 iGPU support is concerned in Linux kernels < 4.20.

It is certainly worth a try for @SeoulPlaya

Wow. At wits end on this. Updated to 6.9-beta 1 (kernel 5.5.8). Rebooted. Double checked Primary Video set to Onboard. Checked and no /dev/dri. Saw @Squid's post and said ok that's what I'm missing. Added the alpha_support=1 to the /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file. For reference this is what it looks like:

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label Unraid OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot i915.alpha_support=1
label Unraid OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label Unraid OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label Unraid OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

Rebooted and still no directory. I think the computer gods want me to buy a nvidia card or something lol.

Edited by SeoulPlaya

WOW. I got it lol. Man my linux skills are terrible. Thank you for everyone helping me! I was finally able to get this by doing the following (in case someone as bad as me needs help lol)

I'm not sure I needed to update to 6.9.0-beta1 since perhaps the key to this whole thing was doing these commands when the array was stopped, but I'm just making mention that I did upgrade to this version due to my specs ( 9th gen processor). 

Edit the /boot/config/go to add:

#!/bin/bash
#Setup drivers for hardware transcoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Also append the /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg file to add  'append initrd=/bzroot i915.alpha_support=1'

Note: there is a line break in between the chmod and the # Start line in the go file. Not sure if this matters but I just am writing what exactly I have setup.

Reboot the server and make sure your array does not auto start! SSH into your server and enter 'modprobe i915' and then enter 'chmod -R 777 /dev/dri'

then reboot the server again. In hindsight I guess I only needed the modprobe i915 in my go file and not the chmod since it appears it didn't provide the proper permissions.

Once the server boots, start the array and edit the plex docker in the extra parameters to add --device=/dev/dri 

I'm sure that somewhere in the many guides it states that the array must be stopped so you can view the directory in a console, so you can make the appropriate permission changes but I don't recall seeing it. It's probably my fault though 😛

3 minutes ago, SeoulPlaya said:

I'm sure that somewhere in the many guides it states that the array must be stopped so you can view the directory in a console, so you can make the appropriate permission changes but I don't recall seeing it. It's probably my fault though 😛

I don't recall stopping the array ever having been needed to get the iGPU working properly.  It is likely that nothing you read stated that was necessary, so, you did not miss anything.

Now, that said, whether necessary or not, I am glad that you were able to get things figured out.

I am looking forward to unRAID 6.9, but, I am glad I do not need it to get the iGPU working in my 9th generation Xeon 😁

Honestly, I don't recall reading that either. But I just tried to stop the array and then cd /dev/dri and then it was there! Started the array tried again and it was gone. So then I thought it's definitely a permission issue so then I did the steps I outlined and it worked. Thankfully lol.

That seems rather strange though.   It is worthy to point out though that copying and pasting commands from the forum into any given file will on occasion for whatever reason only Loki understands will also grab some unprintable control characters.  When in doubt that something doesn't work and you copied / pasted, type it out by hand.

Hi All,

I just installed this version of Plex and I'm see one pretty big issue.  Plex is not releasing the hold on my HDHomeRun Tuner.  I'll start to watch a channel and then change the channel 2 more time, I'm okay (because I have the HDHomeRun Prime - 3 tuners), but when I change for the 3rd time, I get this error: "Could not tune channel. Please check your tuner or antenna. Code: 5000". I then check the tuner and all the tuner channels are taken up.  The only way around this is to reboot my plex docker.

This does not occur on my Windows Edition of Plex.  

I just install the the linusserver/plex repository yesterday (so latest edition available).

How can i get this fixed?

1 hour ago, APD189 said:

Hi All,

I just installed this version of Plex and I'm see one pretty big issue.  Plex is not releasing the hold on my HDHomeRun Tuner.  I'll start to watch a channel and then change the channel 2 more time, I'm okay (because I have the HDHomeRun Prime - 3 tuners), but when I change for the 3rd time, I get this error: "Could not tune channel. Please check your tuner or antenna. Code: 5000". I then check the tuner and all the tuner channels are taken up.  The only way around this is to reboot my plex docker.

This does not occur on my Windows Edition of Plex.  

I just install the the linusserver/plex repository yesterday (so latest edition available).

How can i get this fixed?

It sounds like a plex issue (windows vs linux). You should report it to them on their forum. We don't touch anything tuner related in the docker image, it's all handled by Plex itself.

57 minutes ago, aptalca said:

It sounds like a plex issue (windows vs linux). You should report it to them on their forum. We don't touch anything tuner related in the docker image, it's all handled by Plex itself.

I just tried this with another plex docker and it is releasing just fine.

Hey. Sorry to bother everyone with this but I noticed something weird and perhaps there is a simple answer I'm not seeing. While I have my plex now working, if I reboot my URAID system, I need to reapply the permissions to the /dev/dri directory otherwise my Plex won't start. I also cannot apply the permissions unless the array is stopped. If the array is started, the directory is not found. If I have to do this everytime, then I will but it's a pain lol. Is this expected behavior? (I'm guessing no, since comments before said nobody had to stop the array to apply permissions to the /dev/dri directory). Anyways, thanks for any input you may have.

1 hour ago, SeoulPlaya said:

Hey. Sorry to bother everyone with this but I noticed something weird and perhaps there is a simple answer I'm not seeing. While I have my plex now working, if I reboot my URAID system, I need to reapply the permissions to the /dev/dri directory otherwise my Plex won't start. I also cannot apply the permissions unless the array is stopped. If the array is started, the directory is not found. If I have to do this everytime, then I will but it's a pain lol. Is this expected behavior? (I'm guessing no, since comments before said nobody had to stop the array to apply permissions to the /dev/dri directory). Anyways, thanks for any input you may have.

Which GPU do you use?

If it's an iGPU, you have to add the chmod command in the go file so it's applied every boot.

It doesn't make sense that /dev/dri doesn't exist with the array started. Do you pass through the gpu to a VM?

I am at a loss. I have been unsuccessful at getting my GTX1070 to work on my Unraid 6.8.3 server. Want to use it on Plex and Handbrake, no VMs. I have been at it for a couple of months and my build is defaulting to CPU transcoding, not GPU. Here's what I have tried.

1. Latest unraid and nvidia plug-in version. It sees it as GPU0 and gives a UUID number

2. Using PlexPass Container v. 1.18.8.2527

3. Set NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES = all
4. Set NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES = MY_GPU_UUID

5.Set the extra parm: --runtime=nvidia

6. Verified there is no trailing space after the GPU UUID

7. Confirmed in my BIOS that the server graphics are using the on-board  GPU and not Nvidia

8. Confirmed ASRock supports ths GPU

...what am I missing here?

Unraid: 6.8.3

System board: ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4, BiOS P1.30

CPU [dont laugh]: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Grahics @3600

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 w/ driver version 440.59

Mem: 8GiB DDR4

5 minutes ago, endessunraid said:

I am at a loss. I have been unsuccessful at getting my GTX1070 to work on my Unraid 6.8.3 server. Want to use it on Plex and Handbrake, no VMs. I have been at it for a couple of months and my build is defaulting to CPU transcoding, not GPU. Here's what I have tried.

1. Latest unraid and nvidia plug-in version. It sees it as GPU0 and gives a UUID number

2. Using PlexPass Container v. 1.18.8.2527

3. Set NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES = all
4. Set NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES = MY_GPU_UUID

5.Set the extra parm: --runtime=nvidia

6. Verified there is no trailing space after the GPU UUID

7. Confirmed in my BIOS that the server graphics are using the on-board  GPU and not Nvidia

8. Confirmed ASRock supports ths GPU

...what am I missing here?

Unraid: 6.8.3

System board: ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4, BiOS P1.30

CPU [dont laugh]: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Grahics @3600

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 w/ driver version 440.59

Mem: 8GiB DDR4

Post your docker run command.

Did you enable hardware transcoding in the plex settings?

Edited by saarg
3 minutes ago, saarg said:

Post your docker run command.

Did you enable hardware transcoding in the plex settings?

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='binhex-plexpass' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TRANS_DIR'='/config/transcode' -e 'UMASK'='000' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES'='all' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-7660c743-6a84-7e95-150e-8023c1931b9d' -v '/mnt/user':'/media':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-plexpass':'/config':'rw' --runtime=nvidia 'binhex/arch-plexpass'

65f1db4a745189a51d58d409cb5132bc6b063f429f3abca3b9b4edaa6bb07432

The command finished successfully!

Yes. Using hardware trancoding is selected.