[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Hey,

I assume "Network Type" in the docker-template is standard on "Host" because otherwise plex would deny browsing the webinterface without plexpass.

However if you set the "List of IP addresses and networks that do not require authentication" (might not be original-text-label; translated from german) in the options menu under Server > Settings > Network to the standard private network classes (10.0.0.0/8,172.16.0.0/12,192.168.0.0/16) you can also browse it from your private network with "Network Type" set to "Bridge" so that the internal Docker-Network is used.

I dont know if 0.0.0.0/0 does work, this would turn off this stupid plex-pass-enforcement alltogether.

This seems to be a good case for an environment-variable / standard-value, doesn't it?

4 hours ago, Greyberry said:

Hey,

I assume "Network Type" in the docker-template is standard on "Host" because otherwise plex would deny browsing the webinterface without plexpass.

However if you set the "List of IP addresses and networks that do not require authentication" (might not be original-text-label; translated from german) in the options menu under Server > Settings > Network to the standard private network classes (10.0.0.0/8,172.16.0.0/12,192.168.0.0/16) you can also browse it from your private network with "Network Type" set to "Bridge" so that the internal Docker-Network is used.

I dont know if 0.0.0.0/0 does work, this would turn off this stupid plex-pass-enforcement alltogether.

This seems to be a good case for an environment-variable / standard-value, doesn't it?

You don't need plexpass to access Plex in bridge mode. If you map all the ports that is needed for Plex it works. Check the GitHub readme for the ports you need.

We try as hard as we can not to touch the application settings files as it often creates problems when the application decided it wants  to change the layout.

• Like 1

So I knew I would be back. The Plex forums are not nearly as responsive as the unRAID ones so trying to get some help here. I want to try to debug this but need some help in getting the right logs.

Server Version#: 1.19.1.2645
Player Version#: 4.31.1 (firefox) but also occurs on Android (mobile) and Plex for Kodi

I am on unRAID 6.8.3.

Been running Plex for years on unRAID and via dockers. Plex Media Server (PMS) was updated to 1.19.1.2645 and now some (not all) videos will not play. They start and depending on the player never come up and just "spin". Or on Plex for Kodi (OSMC) the exit the PMS player but stay in Plex.

I can reproduce this with certain TV episdoes. The episodes play fine via tools like VLC or on previous versions on PMS. I rolled back to PMS 1.18.9.2571 and all videos play fine.

The issue occurs (on 1.19.1.2645) both on my internal network and outside (remote play) network.

I tried looking at client logs and do not see anything that useful. But can provide those?

What server logs would assist in tracking this down? Do I enable the logs via the two checkboxes in the PMS web settings:

• Enable Plex Media Server debug logging
  • Enable Plex Media Server verbose logging

There are a ton of logs in appdata\plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Logs.

Which ones are useful?

Is it best to post here or keep trying at the Plex support forums? I amkind of surprised this is not being seen more widely? One person on the Plex forums says they have the same issue.

Thanks!

Edited by TexasDave
1 hour ago, TexasDave said:

So I knew I would be back. The Plex forums are not nearly as responsive as the unRAID ones so trying to get some help here. I want to try to debug this but need some help in getting the right logs.

Player Version#: 4.31.1 (firefox) but also occurs on Android (mobile) and Plex for Kodi

I am on unRAID 6.8.3.

Been running Plex for years on unRAID and via dockers. Plex Media Server (PMS) was updated to 1.19.1.2645 and now some (not all) videos will not play. They start and depending on the player never come up and just "spin". Or on Plex for Kodi (OSMC) the exit the PMS player but stay in Plex.

I can reproduce this with certain TV episdoes. The episodes play fine via tools like VLC or on previous versions on PMS. I rolled back to PMS 1.18.9.2571 and all videos play fine.

The issue occurs (on 1.19.1.2645) both on my internal network and outside (remote play) network.

I tried looking at client logs and do not see anything that useful. But can provide those?

What server logs would assist in tracking this down? Do I enable the logs via the two checkboxes in the PMS web settings:

There are a ton of logs in appdata\plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Logs.

Which ones are useful?

Is it best to post here or keep trying at the Plex support forums? I amkind of surprised this is not being seen more widely? One person on the Plex forums says they have the same issue.

Thanks!

Have you tried to delete the content of the codecs folder and restart the container? That makes Plex download them again and might fix the issue.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TexasDave said:

I am on unRAID 6.8.3.

Which ones are useful?

Thanks!

What client machines are you using?  I saw a post on the Plex group last night about issues with some Android boxes doing what you're describing.  Go into the plex settings on that client, and find 'Use New Player' and disable it and see if it works.  My father in law is having the same issue, and I'm going to try to walk him through that to see if it fixes his issue as well this afternoon..

Thread here:  https://forums.plex.tv/t/new-player-on-android-tv-not-working/545682/2 

Edited by heffe2001
  • Like 1

I'm trying to move my Plex Config Folder to a unassigned device.

I used Rsync to move the folder to /mnt/disks/appdata/plex.  And when I use this for my Plex Template and nothing else changes it treats it as a new server. 

How do I get my newly copied appdata/plex folder to treat it as the same server. 

Old Template

/mnt/user/appdata/plex

New Template

/mnt/disks/appdata/plex

rsync -avh /mnt/user/appdata/plex /mnt/disks/appdata  

16 hours ago, deaerator said:

I'm trying to move my Plex Config Folder to a unassigned device.

I used Rsync to move the folder to /mnt/disks/appdata/plex.  And when I use this for my Plex Template and nothing else changes it treats it as a new server. 

How do I get my newly copied appdata/plex folder to treat it as the same server. 

Old Template

/mnt/user/appdata/plex

New Template

/mnt/disks/appdata/plex

rsync -avh /mnt/user/appdata/plex /mnt/disks/appdata  

when u use /mnt/disks/... aint u missing a disk in there ? like /mnt/disks/<disknamehere>/appdata

and of course u have to edit plex docker template to point to the new location ...

Edited by alturismo
1 hour ago, deaerator said:

The name of my disk is appdata or should this be something else. 1774355744_2020-04-19(3).png.5899ff9fa004acbd098036d8229be211.png

2020-04-19 (4).png

the name of your disk is Samsung.... do a ls -la /mnt/disks/ ... there u see the name and path u need

sample here

root@AlsServer:~# ls -l /mnt/disks/
total 0
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users   0 Jan 25 23:16 192.168.1.15_internal/
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users   0 Feb 11 07:58 192.168.1.25_internal/
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users   0 Jan 22 14:52 192.168.1.45_internal/
drwxrwxrwx 10 nobody users 121 Mar 25 10:38 Samsung_SSD_950_PRO_512GB_S2GMNCAGB16552X/
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users   0 Apr 18 07:40 VUULTIMO4K_HARDDISK/
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users   0 Mar 22 22:29 VUULTIMO4K_ROOTFS/
drwxrwxrwx  1 root   root    0 Apr 18 23:00 _dropbox/
drwxrwxrwx  1 root   root    0 Apr 18 23:00 _freenet/
drwxrwxrwx  1 root   root    0 Apr 18 23:00 _gdrive/
drwxrwxrwx  1 root   root    0 Apr 18 23:00 _mega/
drwxrwxrwx  1 root   root    0 Apr 18 23:00 _onedrive/
root@AlsServer:~# 

11 hours ago, deaerator said:

The name of my disk is appdata or should this be something else. 

2020-04-19 (4).png

According to this screenshot, appdata is the name of the mounted partition so it should be /mnt/disks/appdata. I have one like this and I have given the mount a name and that is how it is shared and referred to under /mnt/disks.

However, I do recommend not naming it the same as a user share, since if you ever do share it SMB won't be able to display both shares if they have the same name.

8 hours ago, deaerator said:

root@Tower:/mnt/disks# ls -al
total 0
drwxrwxrwt  3 root   root   60 Apr 16 21:18 ./
drwxr-xr-x 22 root   root  440 Apr 16 21:18 ../
drwxrwxrwx  3 nobody users  18 Apr 16 19:53 appdata/
root@Tower:/mnt/disks# 

Inside the Plex folder on both old and new appdata.

Thank you for your help.

When I did the ls command to both spots it turns out that on /mnt/disks/appdata there was /plex and /library

But on /mnt/user/appdata/plex there was just one folder called /library

I did a delete and a fresh rsync and everything is working again.

Thank you. 

I'm having issues with plex updating using the stable branch.

Here is the log output

"Atempting to upgrade to: stable
https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/stable/debian/plexmediaserver_stable_amd64.deb:
2020-04-22 08:01:02 ERROR 404: Not Found.

########################################################
# Upgrade attempt failed, this could be because either #
# plex update site is down, local network issues, or #
# you were trying to get a version that simply doesn't #
# exist, check over the VERSION variable thoroughly & #
# correct it or try again later. #"

DNS is configured to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1

Anyone else having this issue?

3 hours ago, Natebur said:

I'm having issues with plex updating using the stable branch.

Here is the log output

"Atempting to upgrade to: stable
https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/stable/debian/plexmediaserver_stable_amd64.deb:
2020-04-22 08:01:02 ERROR 404: Not Found.

########################################################
# Upgrade attempt failed, this could be because either #
# plex update site is down, local network issues, or #
# you were trying to get a version that simply doesn't #
# exist, check over the VERSION variable thoroughly & #
# correct it or try again later. #"

DNS is configured to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1

Anyone else having this issue?

Looks like you set the version variable to "stable", which is not a supported value