[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

On 5/4/2020 at 5:05 PM, jbohbot said:

Not sure if others are having this issue, I tried searching but came up empty...

I'm running unraid 6.8.3 with the NVIDIA driver pack and this PLEX docker with my K4000 in pass-through for PLEX.

It works wonderfully and I have almost no complaints at all, my only issue is that when I'm done watching a movie that required my GPU to encode the video, the GPU stays running in the background and I cannot stop it unless I restart the container.

Has anyone had this issue? Is there a simple fix/tweak?

Thank you,

J

Annotation 2020-05-04 180231.png

Correct. Everyone using nvidia transcoding with Plex on Linux has this problem with Plex. There isn't really a simple workaround. I tried injecting a wrapper script to monitor the transcode process and then manually kill the offending process once the transcode has ended, but it isn't reliable, and can interfere when multiple users are streaming transcoded content simultaneously. I think I have some new logic that will work properly - but ultimately Plex or Nvidia needs to figure out why this is happening. According to a recent post on the thread regarding this issue - nvidia was able to replicate the issue in their lab environment, and they were able to use some internal testing drivers that no longer exhibit the issue. That driver release "should" fix the problem permanently for everyone. It's odd that this behavior only seems to happen with Plex, and not Emby - but they are different applications so there could be a different interaction in software there.

Here's the thread on the Plex forums:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/stuck-in-p-state-p0-after-transcode-finished-on-nvidia/387685

fuser -kv
/dev/nvidia* will kill the offending process (and any other other processes using the GPU) by the way.

• Like 1

Hi! I was hoping I could get some help on setup, I've setup the Plex docker container with the different librairies, the logs seem normal, but when I connect to the WebUI, I just get an empty page with the Plex logo at the center, and nothing else, when it's loading I get more of the "normal" Plex UI with the different bars of the menu appearing for +/- 1s., then it all just disappears and stays on the "Plex" logo, would this be an issue with Plex as is, or rather an issue with the container? I tried using the plexinc docker container and had the same behavior, if that can help!

Thanks a bunch!

Sorry for my mistake! Here it is :

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' --cpuset-cpus='9,11,13,25,27,29' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV Shows/':'/tv':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Musique/':'/music':'rw' -v '':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Anime/':'/anime':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex'

509b5dead9fef8b90d3a7afdfb86d0959e1967ade32f6b0d9c5be72f4ef7843b

The last two lines of my log file are :

Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.

Hello I am having issues with my Plex Docker container. I am getting an "Execution Error" and the log are blank. I am stumped as to what is going on here.

Per advice of above post here is the run command:
oot@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '':'/movies':'rw' -v '':'/tv':'rw' -v '':'/music':'rw' -v '':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/media/':'/Media':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex':'/config':'rw' --device=/dev/dvb/ 'linuxserver/plex'

c93c419be48f7cbf282bb0907d09a9c9bd50a8aa4ec8868b2084578befb63290
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/dvb": no such file or directory.

Edited by BrunoVic
1 minute ago, BrunoVic said:

I just did.

Better to put new information in a new post, but since you made a new post the thread was marked unread. If you hadn't made a new post I never would have known there was anything to see.

Did you notice the error message at the end of that docker run you posted? It is telling you exactly what the problem is.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Better to put new information in a new post, but since you made a new post the thread was marked unread. If you hadn't made a new post I never would have known there was anything to see.

Did you notice the error message at the end of that docker run you posted? It is telling you exactly what the problem is.

Yes lol sorry I edited my post again. You didn't see my response. I will post new post from now on.

9 minutes ago, BrunoVic said:

I just did. Ok after noticing the output I removed the extra parameter = --device=/dev/dvb/ and now the container works. But now I no longer have DVB funtions which is what I use plex for.

Did you have DVB functions before? Were you using the DVB build of Unraid before? The DVB plugin is a replacement for the stock build of Unraid. If you installed a new version of Unraid then you removed the DVB build of Unraid.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Did you have DVB functions before? Were you using the DVB build of Unraid before? The DVB plugin is a replacement for the stock build of Unraid. If you installed a new version of Unraid then you removed the DVB build of Unraid.

I'm confused. Yes the DVB was working before I did the 6.8.3 upgrade. I had already had the plugin installed. But right after I upgraded from 6.8.2 to 6.8.3 that's when plex stopped working.

Just now, BrunoVic said:

I'm confused. Yes the DVB was working before I did the 6.8.3 upgrade. I had already had the plugin installed. But right after I upgraded from 6.8.2 to 6.8.3 that's when plex stopped working.

The "plugin" installs a custom build of Unraid itself which includes DVB support. If you upgraded Unraid then you installed the stock Unraid build, removing the custom DVB build.

The NVidia "plugin" works the same way. They don't add DVB or NVidia support to Unraid, they replace Unraid with a custom version that includes the drivers.

This is all explained on the first page of the support thread for these custom builds.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, trurl said:

The "plugin" installs a custom build of Unraid itself which includes DVB support. If you upgraded Unraid then you installed the stock Unraid build, removing the custom DVB build.

The NVidia "plugin" works the same way. They don't add DVB or NVidia support to Unraid, they replace Unraid with a custom version that includes the drivers.

This is all explained on the first page of the support thread for these custom builds.

Ok so IF Unraid DVB does not have a 6.8.3 build to install then I have to remain on the 6.8.2 build?

28 minutes ago, BrunoVic said:

Ok so IF Unraid DVB does not have a 6.8.3 build to install then I have to remain on the 6.8.2 build?

If you want DVB you have to install an available DVB build using the plugin. If you upgrade the "normal" way from Tools - Update OS then you get a stock build that doesn't know anything about DVB.

2 hours ago, Antoine Rincent said:

Sorry for my mistake! Here it is :

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='plex' --net='host' --cpuset-cpus='9,11,13,25,27,29' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/Movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/TV Shows/':'/tv':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Musique/':'/music':'rw' -v '':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Anime/':'/anime':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex'

509b5dead9fef8b90d3a7afdfb86d0959e1967ade32f6b0d9c5be72f4ef7843b

The last two lines of my log file are :

Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.

I'm allowing myself to give a quick bump, I'm guessing that the issues I have where Plex's web UI gets stopped at a blank page is an error caused on the Plex side of things, and not on the Docker side of things, as in the log file it says "Starting Plex Media Server. done." ? Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

13 minutes ago, Antoine Rincent said:

I'm allowing myself to give a quick bump, I'm guessing that the issues I have where Plex's web UI gets stopped at a blank page is an error caused on the Plex side of things, and not on the Docker side of things, as in the log file it says "Starting Plex Media Server. done." ? Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

Turns out the issue was due to a pop-up blocker keeping the login page from showing up at launch of the webUI, dumb mistake, but an easy fix, thanks anyways!

1 hour ago, deaerator said:

I'm noticing that not all videos transcoding is using Hardware Acceleration, reverting to Sofware transcoding.  How do I enforce HW Transcoding only.

Convert offending videos to a format your transcoding hardware supports. Keep in mind not all codecs have hardware transcoding support, and not all cards support all formats that do. Any time the card is not capable of decoding the source format - the decoding will fall back on the CPU. Similarly, if the target format is not supported by the GPU, the encoding will fall back on the CPU. We (the forum members) don't have enough information on the situation to identify why you are having this problem currently.

On 5/4/2020 at 3:29 PM, deusxanime said:

Plex internally makes it's own backups of the db as well I believe. In the same directory as the main db but appended with the date, like "com.plexapp.plugins.library.db-2020-05-02". Have you tried to go back to one of those using these instructions? Hopefully the backups aren't corrupt as well.

Well, I was fed up with 3 days of trying stuff only to get the DB back so I started over...

I believe it was fucked up because of some symlinks while backup-ing the old cache drive so there was no chance to get anything back easily. I didn't know that while making the BTRFS restore, it asks something (don't remember the question) because of too many symlinks and you can answer "y/n/a". Problem is my linux knowledge is 10 years old and I didn't know about the"a" means "all". At some point it asked a lot and I tried no as I thought symlinks would not be that important (main problem there was the entire disc not just the plex DB). I was probably wrong but I'm still not sure.

Thanks anyway for idea. It's all good now 😊

UPDATE: I was able to restart the server, even though there were open files.  I then let it reboot, start all the dockers, manually stop Plex docker, stop array and it worked.  Not sure why Plex docker doesn't behave like everyone else, but I was able to add my new drive.

I've noticed recently that my tower has issues unmounting drives.  I ran open files and the only open files are from Plex Media Server and tuner, scripts, etc, however dockers has been shutdown by the shutdown process.

if I kill the plex media server process it just spawns another one.  Making it impossible for me to shut down my array, and I really need to add a new drive to it.

So how do I stop plex media server after the docker service has been shutdown?  All other dockers behave perfectly, just not Plex.

thanks

david

Edited by lovingHDTV
4 hours ago, lovingHDTV said:

UPDATE: I was able to restart the server, even though there were open files.  I then let it reboot, start all the dockers, manually stop Plex docker, stop array and it worked.  Not sure why Plex docker doesn't behave like everyone else, but I was able to add my new drive.

I've noticed recently that my tower has issues unmounting drives.  I ran open files and the only open files are from Plex Media Server and tuner, scripts, etc, however dockers has been shutdown by the shutdown process.

if I kill the plex media server process it just spawns another one.  Making it impossible for me to shut down my array, and I really need to add a new drive to it.

So how do I stop plex media server after the docker service has been shutdown?  All other dockers behave perfectly, just not Plex.

thanks

david

If the plex container is stopped, plex is not running. Where do you see a plex process? Have you installed plex as a plugin at one point and forgot about it?

1 hour ago, saarg said:

If the plex container is stopped, plex is not running. Where do you see a plex process? Have you installed plex as a plugin at one point and forgot about it?

I ran open files.  It is a script that runs to tell you what processes have open files.  These open files keep the OS from unmounting the drives.

I could also run top, ps -aux | grep Plex, any number of ways to see the process.  I tried kill -9; kill -15, but the process always got restarted.  Dockers were turned off as well, but some daemon was restarting plex.

I've seen this a couple times now, when I stop the array before all dockers have finished starting.