[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

I'm having issues with my Plex docker in the last week. The docker img size is growing pretty rapidly and it maxes out my assigned size (20GB) after 3-5 days.  Twice this week I've had to stop docker, change some settings, and restart it. This seems to clear whatever data is building up in Plex. I did this yesterday and when it restarted the plex docker img was <700 MB. It is now >9GB.  When this first happened last week the plex docker was 19GB.

I've looked at a couple things and all of my folder paths haven't changed. The only thing I can think is that the transcode process is doing something funny. My transcode folder is set to /tmp.

I'm running Unraid 6.8.3 and the Plex docker is up to date.  I actually just forced an update on it to be sure and the docker size is back down to <600 MB.

5 minutes ago, tmlfan3 said:

I'm having issues with my Plex docker in the last week. The docker img size is growing pretty rapidly and it maxes out my assigned size (20GB) after 3-5 days.  Twice this week I've had to stop docker, change some settings, and restart it. This seems to clear whatever data is building up in Plex. I did this yesterday and when it restarted the plex docker img was <700 MB. It is now >9GB.  When this first happened last week the plex docker was 19GB.

I've looked at a couple things and all of my folder paths haven't changed. The only thing I can think is that the transcode process is doing something funny. My transcode folder is set to /tmp.

I'm running Unraid 6.8.3 and the Plex docker is up to date.  I actually just forced an update on it to be sure and the docker size is back down to <600 MB.

Docker img is one thing, used by all of your dockers. That is what I assume you meant when you said docker img assigned size 20GB. This is the size you have allocated docker img, and how much of that being used is displayed on the Dashboard.

Then later you say plex docker was 19GB. The space used within docker img by each docker can be displayed from the Docker page by clicking the Container Size button at the bottom. Is that what you mean by the 19GB plex docker?

Do you have any other dockers?

So which of these are you talking about?

5 hours ago, trurl said:

Is that what you mean by the 19GB plex docker?

Do you have any other dockers?

So which of these are you talking about?

Yeah I meant the docker. I get warnings for the total Docker img size but the plex container is taking up most of the space. The rest of my containers are all around 500MB or less and I only have <10. 

Just to note, in the past 5 hours the plex container has grown by around 200 MB. I’ve watched stuff on plex for about an hour in that time. 

19 hours ago, tmlfan3 said:

Interestingly enough, I too am having issues as of late - say a few days ago. My docker.img wavered around 27% used or so (20G size) and all of a sudden it crept up to 90% utilized. I removed the img and recreated at 30G, reinstalled all of the dockers and see that Plex was at a small 423mb (yesterday) size. 24 hours or so later it is sitting at 7.2G. I suspect it may double in size again as it did previously (yesterday when i got the utilization report/alert) to over 14G in 24 hours.

Transcode resides on its own share in cache. I creted a text file (touch test.txt) to verify in the Plex console that Plex is actually seeing and able to write tothat directory and it is. Nothing else other than reinstalling Plex has changed for a long time.... This is net new behavior.

Docker run command:  root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='Plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/tvshows/':'/tv':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/music/':'/music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/transcode/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

7b62f9fb6c0ba757bbe78663cd8155d3a29bb848162f0c40004eb0b9b8cfb640

Any help this group can provide is appreciated.

-MW

plex_today.png

plex_yesterday.png

tower-diagnostics-20200602-1022.zip

1 hour ago, mfwade said:

Interestingly enough, I too am having issues as of late - say a few days ago. My docker.img wavered around 27% used or so (20G size) and all of a sudden it crept up to 90% utilized. I removed the img and recreated at 30G, reinstalled all of the dockers and see that Plex was at a small 423mb (yesterday) size. 24 hours or so later it is sitting at 7.2G. I suspect it may double in size again as it did previously (yesterday when i got the utilization report/alert) to over 14G in 24 hours.

Transcode resides on its own share in cache. I creted a text file (touch test.txt) to verify in the Plex console that Plex is actually seeing and able to write tothat directory and it is. Nothing else other than reinstalling Plex has changed for a long time.... This is net new behavior.

Docker run command:  root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='Plex' --net='host' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VERSION'='docker' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='' -e 'TCP_PORT_32400'='32400' -e 'TCP_PORT_3005'='3005' -e 'TCP_PORT_8324'='8324' -e 'TCP_PORT_32469'='32469' -e 'UDP_PORT_1900'='1900' -e 'UDP_PORT_32410'='32410' -e 'UDP_PORT_32412'='32412' -e 'UDP_PORT_32413'='32413' -e 'UDP_PORT_32414'='32414' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -v '/mnt/user/movies/':'/movies':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/tvshows/':'/tv':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/music/':'/music':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/transcode/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/plex/':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/plex' 

7b62f9fb6c0ba757bbe78663cd8155d3a29bb848162f0c40004eb0b9b8cfb640

Any help this group can provide is appreciated.

-MW

plex_today.png

plex_yesterday.png

tower-diagnostics-20200602-1022.zip 178.45 kB · 0 downloads

Check the plex server gui settings and make sure transcoding folder is set to "/transcode"

On 5/29/2020 at 12:58 PM, brbones said:

ERROR: The argument for -length must be a positive number
ERROR: Could not open the input file (No such file or directory)

I have had this issue as of today. I was watching a movie via plex.tv and it started to buffer. I stopped the playback and refreshed the page and was greeted with an unable to load page. Looked in my logs and there were tons of these entries. Seems to work fine for a while, then throw a bunch of these errors, crash the container and then reloads. During this instance, I manually restarted the docker to finish watching my movie.

My transcode setting is set to /transcode within Plex and it is pointing to a dedicated share in the docker configuration.

18 hours ago, trurl said:

Post your plex docker run command as explained in this very first link in the Docker FAQ:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-docker-faq/?do=findComment&comment=564345

Also post a screenshot of the transcode directory setting within the Plex application.

Here you go.  I included the docker container sizes to show that since I last posted yesterday the container has grown to <9GB.

Plex Transcode.JPG

Plex Run Command.jpg

Docker Containters.jpg

Hey guys, running the latest plex pass version on unraid 6.8.3. I have just today started running into major issues with Plex.

Earlier today the plex container crashed, and I have no idea why, it had been running beautifully. I restarted the container and when it started back up all users were gone and I could only login as my main user. I restarted the container again and everything was fine.

Here I am about 3hours later, and it crashes again. This time no amount to restarting the container is helping. When I click in the unraid UI to show the log for the container, nothing jumps out at me as bad.

Im not sure what to do, but I have a new born and a very pissed wife right now. 😵

17 minutes ago, relink said:

I restarted the container and when it started back up all users were gone and I could only login as my main user

This happened to me today as well.  I noticed it right after starting the Plex app on my PC.  It said there was an update and then all users but the main user were gone.  It appears Plex has messed something up.

plex.tv is unreachable and likely causing issues and they are reporting problems with the Plex API.

https://status.plex.tv/

It takes a long time for Plex to start.  It is recording right now but I cannot play media.  I get "media unreachable" errors or it simply will not play.

Edited by Hoopster

i am also having the "Plex is not reachable" probably just have to wait it out.

Unfortunately i think if we setup a server and host the application on our server why should we have to rely on their servers being up. Maybe just have a occasional authentication for premium subscribers or account stuff.

weird thing is:

pc app doesnt work

browser doesnt work

but ios phone app works

hmm

I am also having the issue with with the docker.img getting maxed out on size with the linuxserver plex container. I haven't changed anything other than just doing the standard update container option in the unraid gui. The problem for me started around the time Plex enabled the new skip intro feature. The tmp folder is what is eating up all the space, in about 2-3 days it ballooned to 27 GB.

Docker run command is as follows although nothing has changed on my side in months in regards to config but the problem started about 2 weeks ago. "docker run -d --name='Plex' --net='bond0' --ip='10.0.1.230' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES'='all' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-163441c5-a503-1b9f-b353-1b36622ff622' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'CHANGE_CONFIG_DIR_OWNERSHIP'='true' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/user/Containers/Plex/Data/':'/config':'rw' -v '/dev/shm/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Plex/':'/data':'rw' --runtime=nvidia --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1 'linuxserver/plex:latest'"

1 hour ago, Mezhom said:

Unfortunately i think if we setup a server and host the application on our server why should we have to rely on their servers being up

You can configure your system so no Internet access is required to authenticate and do other Plex functions.  It's not the way Plex is designed to work so these are workarounds.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/howto-use-plex-with-no-internet/383325

https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

15 hours ago, mau471 said:

I am also having the issue with with the docker.img getting maxed out on size with the linuxserver plex container. I haven't changed anything other than just doing the standard update container option in the unraid gui. The problem for me started around the time Plex enabled the new skip intro feature. The tmp folder is what is eating up all the space, in about 2-3 days it ballooned to 27 GB.

Docker run command is as follows although nothing has changed on my side in months in regards to config but the problem started about 2 weeks ago. "docker run -d --name='Plex' --net='bond0' --ip='10.0.1.230' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES'='all' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-163441c5-a503-1b9f-b353-1b36622ff622' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'CHANGE_CONFIG_DIR_OWNERSHIP'='true' -e 'VERSION'='latest' -v '/mnt/user/Containers/Plex/Data/':'/config':'rw' -v '/dev/shm/':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Plex/':'/data':'rw' --runtime=nvidia --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1 'linuxserver/plex:latest'"

Yes, i found an article that states the developers are aware of it. That being said, it mentioned setting the following setting to never: (Settings - Server - Library - ‘Generate intro video markers’ set to “never” until this issue is fixed. I didnt set mine to never, rather i added an additional Path (below).

I also created an additional Path to /tmp that resides outside of the docker image, see below for my settings. I believe this will only need to be done temporarily until the real issue is resolved.

-MW

plex-2.PNG

plex-3.PNG

• Like 2

Firstly let me thank the developer(s) for their work and an excellent container.

My unRAID server is only about a month old, and I'm slowly working through optimizing everything in it. I have a pair of 1660 Supers in my machine, one I've isolated for use in a Win10 gaming VM (primary position) and a second I use for transcoding (currently passed through to Plex and Handbrake, though the latter is generally not running).

Transcoding works like a charm in Plex, and I've scaled it to twenty HEVC>1080p transcodes with resources left to spare on the card. When the transcoding stops, however, the card stays in P0 consuming about 35W compared to my isolated card that sits in P8 consuming about 11W. I have persistence mode enabled on both cards. If I restart the Plex container the card will immediately drop to P8.

Does anyone else see this behavior or have thoughts on how I might get the card to idle properly without having to manually restart the container?